Failed my first Drivers Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

No offense to you, but I find that policy very scary...:ohmy:

when i was 16 i thought it was awesome, now it scares the hell out of me. i consider myself a good driver now, but i sure as hell wasnt at 16 though...

basically if you get a good grade in drivers ed, and dont get "flagged" by your instructor (my instructor said the vast majority of people dont) then when you turn 16 you can go to the DMV and if your birthday isnt in whatever random month they have selected at that time then you take a written test, get a photo taken and pay.

keepin the roads safe in iowa.:happy:

well the person I got wasn't any nicer, and it wasn't a good idea to bring the stickshift

I stalled twice:eek: and got into a fight with the guy, but the rest of my driving must have been pretty damn good, because I still passed:cool:

Congrats! :applaud:

I took Driver's Ed at my high school so we would drive on a regular basis for our lessons. Had a psycho for a teacher but thankfully I passed! All I had to when I went to the DMV was pay the fee for my license and get the picture taken.

Congratulations :wave:

Sucks though that you had such a weird person the first time, letting you fail because she had to tell you to change lanes :huh:

I'm still trying to get my driver's license :sigh:

I don't understand the point of them failing people for not being able to parallel park. Think about it logically - if you KNOW you can't parallel park, you'll never parallel park in your life. You'll walk an extra 4 blocks in winter if need be to avoid it at all costs. Like my Mom. :wink:

anitram said:
I don't understand the point of them failing people for not being able to parallel park. Think about it logically - if you KNOW you can't parallel park, you'll never parallel park in your life. You'll walk an extra 4 blocks in winter if need be to avoid it at all costs. Like my Mom. :wink:

When I got my license they weren't even including parallel parking in the test in my state (I think it's been re-instated though). We had a "maneuverability" test instead (similar to parallel parking, but easier :) ). When we asked why it had been dropped our instructor said "this is Ohio. Nobody parallel parks in Ohio." :lol:

It is kind of true though. For the most part finding a parking space here isn't a problem. I've been driving for 27 years now and I've only needed to parallel park a handful of times (and two of those were in Milwaukee). :shrug:

^ In most parts of Illinois (including my area) there is no parallel parking on the test at all, infact there is sometimes just angled, and not even perpendicular

things sure have changed since my parents did this

Yeah, I almost failed my driver's test cause my examiner was an asshat :madwife: He was on my case from the beginning. I did everything the way I was taught, but apparently he wasn't familiar with the style - defensive driving. Yeah, I did all kinds of crazy things like leaving extra space between me and the car ahead, looking in all directions before accelerating at an intersection, etc. :tsk:

Don't let it get to you. She's just jealous of your mad driving skillz :wink:

If it makes you feel any better, I have noticed that in the last few years nearly everyone seems to fail on their first attempt, mostly on the computer part. I'm starting to think they fail most on purpose the first time to put a shock into them so they'll try even harder next time and be more careful drivers, or whatever. So yeah it's a conspiracy by the man.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
If it makes you feel any better, I have noticed that in the last few years nearly everyone seems to fail on their first attempt, mostly on the computer part. I'm starting to think they fail most on purpose the first time to put a shock into them so they'll try even harder next time and be more careful drivers, or whatever. So yeah it's a conspiracy by the man.

I can tell you something else, here in Holland sometimes they let you fail on purpose because of the money. Because you have to pay for an exam everytime you want to take your driver's test, some of them just want to see your money and come up with all sorts of crazy reasons to make you fail. I know, it's not official, but even instructors say this themselves. :slant:

Btw, thanks for the comment, Shannon :kiss:

I just passed my test since I had to upgrade from an automatic licence to a manual for my new car; it's much easier after you have driven for two years on your own for some reason.

:up: to fossil fuel burining independence.

kafrun said:
Yeah, I almost failed my driver's test cause my examiner was an asshat :madwife: He was on my case from the beginning. I did everything the way I was taught, but apparently he wasn't familiar with the style - defensive driving. Yeah, I did all kinds of crazy things like leaving extra space between me and the car ahead, looking in all directions before accelerating at an intersection, etc. :tsk:

Don't let it get to you. She's just jealous of your mad driving skillz :wink:

Wow really, didn't know about defensive driving...was he an older guy? My driver's ed instructor was adamant about the defensive driving stuff. It all makes perfect sense, but allegedly it's a fairly recent style of driving. :huh: I passed mine on my first try, though I was told I take my turns a little bit too wide, and need to practice on reversing. Waiting a few seconds after a light changes from red to green saved me from getting hit by someone running a red light a few times.

I failed my first behind the wheel test too. In Minnesota, we have to do what's called a 90 degree back turn park. Basically, you have to back into a parking space. Don't ask me why anyone would do that in normal life...so, I hit the flag, and that's an automatic fail. :madspit: Went back a week later and got it :D

On the topic of parallel parking, that's one thing I'm actually good at. I can even parallel on both sides of the street. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom