Ever had to move back with your parents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
Has anyone else here ever moved back home with their parents after being out on your own for quite some time?

I gave up my *beloved* apartment to move home save money, since my fiance and I really want to buy a house before the wedding. I know it's for a good cause but it is just sucha major adjustment! Plus I must admit that my parents have been more than good about everything so far... it's only been a little over a week so far though too!

I just need to vent and hope that there may be someone out here that can possibly sympathize with me. Yes I know things could be a lot worse - I'm just bummed out. :(

I moved back home for precisely the same reasons you did. It was crazy. We moved into our own flat and things were fantastic, then after about a month of living thought we'd take a drive to this nearby housing display village. We came home the proud owners of a block of land and contracts drawn up ready to start building. We bypassed the flat on the way home and went straight to my parents house and "Hi, mind if we live here for a bit? We just bought some land and are building a house, anyone want a cup of tea? :wave: "
So after the lease ran out, we moved that same weekend it ended, and into my parents place, along with my sister who had ended up despising where she was living, and her friend, who had flatted with her for years. She was a good friend of the family so it was nothing weird, she was like another sister/daughter anyway. So it was one big happy family with all our combined menagerie, assorted fiances/housemates/family.

Crazy times. We moved about 3 times before that house finally got built though as during that time, my parents decided to sell their old house and upgrade. So it was fasinating walking into a real estate office annoucing we wanted a house for 6 adults, 2 dogs and 4 cats.

:lol: We rented very large houses in that time. Very large. :laugh:

Best thing about it Ragin' is the amount of moola you will save. Its phenomenal.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:up:

:hug: I can sympathize and I haven't even moved back home. I can only imagine :uhoh: I'm sure my parents would be more sympathetic to me as an adult after I've been on my own for 2 years, BUT I know that it gets to feel like you are still a teenager when you're under their roof, regardless of how anyone is treated. It's just v. hard to be an adult and live at home, esp. with overprotective/very-involved parents.

BUT you have a goal in mind, and will loveeee seeing all that money add up in your bank account. Busy yourself with work (overtime$?) and wedding plans :cute: and hopefully the time will fly by!

:wave: Carrie

I know my parents would always take me back. Good God I could save sooo much money. But I have a cat now and I think ChiChi and Zoey would so not get along :laugh: And I have like... tons of furniture and stuff :uhoh: it would all have to go to storage. I think it would definately bum me out too. But yeah if something insane happened and I had to I'm sure my mom would LOVE it. mangi mangi !!

Well... :shifty: I am currently living with my aunt. I always said I would never move back home... for reasons of pride than anything else. Pride schmide. I knew I would be moving far away this month and planned ahead and I am so glad I did. I packed up my apartment and put things in storage and moved in with my aunt. It's only been three weeks, but it has gone quite well. I only have two more weeks there anyway... I would have moved in with my parents but they live on a boat and don't have the room, but m y mom asked me a few weeks back that had they still had a house, I would have chose them? lol Of course. Good family's rock.

You are doing a smart thing.

adamswildhoney said:
How about has never moved out yet??? bc thats ME!!!!!

Same here.

I'm 21, and I'm tired of Dad having to take care of me. I want to make it on my own. :sigh: I dont' mind my dad at all...I love being around him...but it's just that I'm an adult, and I feel like I should be doing things for myself.

I realize I'm lucky though because a lot of parents don't let their kids stick around the house. Dad said there's always a place for my sister and me at home..."I could never turn away my own kids!"

Bonochick said:

Same here.

I'm 21, and I'm tired of Dad having to take care of me. I want to make it on my own. :sigh: I dont' mind my dad at all...I love being around him...but it's just that I'm an adult, and I feel like I should be doing things for myself.

I realize I'm lucky though because a lot of parents don't let their kids stick around the house. Dad said there's always a place for my sister and me at home..."I could never turn away my own kids!"

Same here!! just replace 21 with 20 and Dad with my parents!!!

:sigh:

Unfortunately I've had some bad luck with jobs in the past few years, so I'm currently living with my parents. It's really not so bad. I do feel like a kid at times, especially when they question why I'm going out for a drink at 10 PM with a friend in the middle of the week or why I stay up until 4 AM everynite......

I still haven't found a job, despite sending out a ton of resumes each week and my parents have been very supportive of me. They really were not supportive the last time I was out of work so I was really nervous this time. I've been out of work for almost 3 months so moving out anytime soon isn't an option.

I love my mom but we get along so much better not living together. It's really hard to leave and then come back, I tried after being in the dorms for a year, and was looking for my own place within about 2 weeks. Part of the problem was my mom's unrestrained glee at having a 'chauffer' back at home for my 3 younger siblings, an unpaid job I was not up for :no:

I'm graduating from college on Saturday, and after 5 years of being away (I'm now 23), I have to move back home this summer.
The thought depresses the hell out of me. NOT because my mom isn't cool or her boyfriend or my brother...it's just that I've been gone for 5 years and I'm used to being on my own. It will be like high school all over again...

:reject:

:lol: They were just cool and didnt care! I mean my mom loved having me at home, I didnt pay any rent, I came and went as I pleased no questions asked .. (all this after about 21 though.. ). I had no qualms about still living at home. I was actually scared to move out :shifty: to be on my own. But I LOVEEEE being on my own now.. its the greatest ever :heart:

I moved back in with my dad after 2 years of bouncing around dorms and apartments last August. It's not so bad. I do save a lot of money, have what is similar to my own apartment because I live on the 3rd floor of the house...I do a few chores here and there and he and my stepmother are pretty happy. I would like to move out, but right now I have no money and no roommate prospects, so I'm here through August or September at the very earliest (maybe I can save up some money this summer, but since I want to buy a car, this is unlikely).

I haven't officially lived with me padres since I was in high school, but I agree that it would save me over $600 per month if I returned for whatever reason. ------> $600 per month? What the f___ am I doing living on my own!!?!?!?

I moved out when I finished high school and got a job. I was 17. I "went home to mother" when I was about 30. I really should not have done that. It was stressful for everyone. I was there for about a month till I found my own place. It was so depressing and so expensive, I came back here after about 4 months and here I remain.
Things are so different now in the 21st century . People make all sorts of living arrangements for all sorts of reasons. My eldest son moved back home for a while. I love it when he is here. He knows he can come and go as he pleases. At the moment he is so in love I think he has forgotten he has a mother. I suppose Sunday will be the proof of the pudding:)( Mother's Day in Oz)

hang in there :hug: she is raging:hug:
awwwww , a wedding, awwwwwww.

My sister moved in with my parents with her hub and kids, quite some time ago. She ended up building a house in their backyard. Wise woman. I think her children have really benefited from being raised in an extended family.It just depends on the personalities and the dynamics I suppose.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I can say from experience that its no picnic for your parents either :huh:

I had to move back home after graduating from college because I didn't have a job. At first I was a happy camper - I thought it would find a job in my field within a couple of months and in the meantime I would catch up on lost time with family members and friends I'd barely seen during four years away at school. It turned out finding a job in journalism wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. By the time July rolled around I was still living with my parents, still broke, still unemployed and facing my first student loan payment. Needless to say, I was pretty cranky. I finally found a crappy job as a telemarketer. Yes, I was one of those people who annoy you by calling during dinner. It was enough to make my loan payments, but not enough to get my own place, which by this time I was desparate to do. I finally found a newspaper job shortly before Halloween and was able to move into my own apartment.

I haven't had to live at home since, thank goodness. One of my brothers lived at home til he was 45! He was the last one to finally leave the nest. I hope nothing financially disastrous happens to me because if I had to move back home again my parents would probably kill me.

I had to move back in with my parents about 6 months ago after living on my own for 6 months because my roomate ditched me. I want to move out soooo bad, but I can't see it happening for at least another year. I hope to save enough money in the next year so that i can move into a studio apartment by myself (while working) for my senior year of college.

It is pretty scary realizing just how much money I could save if I lived with my parents, but I like the freedom and I don't have to hear my mom and dad argue over the stupidest little things. :D

I know they would take me in if I ever needed to move back though. Unfortunately moving back would mean moving back to Oklahoma and finding a job there, so it would have to be a pretty big emergency to do that (not trying to put down Oklahoma, just it would be a big hassle to leave my job and life here). Plus I'd most likely have to share a room with my little brother again (he's 13). He's a cool kid, but :no:.

Back
Top Bottom