Dying to get out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VKX

Babyface
I'm 19, I still live with my parents, and I'm dying to get out of here. How did you guys cope with living at home before you were able to move out.

I moved out when I was 19, and now 2 years later Im back home saving money, I think you should be as prepared as you can before you move out. I get so annoyed sometimes living at home, but its not that bad, its a good way to save money, and not be finanacialy stressed. Im moving out again in 2 weeks, finally!

I moved out when I was 19 and very much enjoyed having my own space and everthing. Maybe you´ll have to get used a little to the situation of being independent, depends on your experience. Basically I think it´s a good thing, and it´s nice to buy your own stuff, furniture etc; I was living without a sofa or TV for a couple of years, all of that comes with time. Keep up a good contact to your relatives, also if its annoying to live with them right now; you will need them, sometimes it´s not funny being all on your own, f.e. when you´re ill - then you can count on their support, like they can count on yours.

Leave when you think you´re ready.

Last edited:
I moved out when I was 21. Have a good connection with my parents, but just felt like it was time to do my own thing.

What's your current situation, at school, working? I know it can be frustrating when you want to move out, but can't afford it yet.
Maybe you can start planning things, looking around for a place to live, looking at furniture, etc - just mentally create the idea of your space allready, even though it might still be a while before you're able to do it.
It can help you be more relaxed and less annoyed by still living at home.

Good luck :up:

My dad is like my best friend. I had no problem living with him.

I would have lived there forever...but I know that the norm is for an adult to get out on his or her own, so I finally left earlier this year (I'm 23). :wink:

VKX said:
I'm 19, I still live with my parents, and I'm dying to get out of here. How did you guys cope with living at home before you were able to move out.

I moved out of home at 18. However I have recently moved back at 28 as I am at uni and it is the only way I can afford to go. I think I can understand where you are coming from, it is difficult living at home as it is your parents house and you have to conform somewhat to their way of living.

I agree with the poster above - start thinking about where you might live and planning what you may buy - and keep that in the back of your mind when living at home gets too much! Try and think of the positive aspects to being at home - its cheaper and its probably much more comfy and cosy than where you will first live when you eventually move out.

I'm not sure what your situation is but perhaps start asking around and see if any of your friends want to share a flat?? Again perhaps if you are able to start planning moving out, even if it isn't possible yet, it might help.

Good luck!:up:

VKX said:

I hated it. It's not that I hate my family, I actually don't mind them and have a deep respect for my parents, but ever since I was 6, I've shared a room and a bed with my little sister. I moved out when I went to college when I was 17, but I had to move back for the summer. My little sister wasn't so little anymore and we couldn't go back to sharing the same tiny space and sleeping in the same bed, so I got a couch bed from a friend and slept in the back of the basement all summer. It sucked b/c my brother would invite all his friends over and stay up until 4am watching movies where I was trying to sleep. Then I had to be up at 6:45 to get to work on time.

Now I'm 20 and I've been living in a house with 4 of my friends for the past year. I work full time all summer so thankfully I can live here year round and not have to move home EVER!

If you're stuck at home, my advice is try to find something that keeps you away from the house. For me it was work. I think I would've gone insane if I had to mope around that house all day all summer!

I moved out 3 days after I turned 18 (I was still in high school). It was the best decision I ever made. I moved in with a family that had an extra bedroom in their basement. It worked out really well. Maybe you could find a place to live like that.

I'm the same situation too... I'm 22 :reject: and I still live with my parents, i love them a lot but they still think i'm a little girl. I'm an illustrator so I have a little workshop in my house but I feel that i'm out of space and I need to move to my own place, beside my cousin has come here and he stays in my workshop and he has smelly shoes and he don't get up early so I can go to work alone in my place, he stars to annoy me and i feel that I have no a private place (then, i don't have a private life) here. I have a job but It doesn't pay very much and I don't even have health insurance so I can pass out in the middle of the street and no one would help me :( ....

:hug: good luck, I'm sorry if I can't help you much... the first day in the new apt would be great i'm sure...

Living at home was sweet! Free utilities, my own personal handyman/mechanic/spider-killer at my disposal, and if I ever wanted any food that wasn't already there, all I had to do was write it on the grocery list, and it magically appeared within the week! Good times, good times. :up:

Why did I leave????????? :lol:

I moved out when I was seven. :| Well, kinda of. I went to boarding school. So I guess I have been living independently of my parents for most of my life. Incidentally, I find I always got along better with them during the times when we were living apart and then back together to visit...not the times when we were all living together in one house for a long time. :huh:

anyways, all the above advice, I would second. Do some research...see if you can split a place with a friend or maybe rent someone's basement.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Incidentally, I find I always got along better with them during the times when we were living apart and then back together to visit...not the times when we were all living together in one house for a long time. :huh:

I've found this to be true as well. I think for my family, it's because we don't have enough personal space for everyone at my parent's house. I guess it works better when you're an only child or have a small family and have your own room. My sister and I would fight because she's 4 years younger than me so wasn't old enough to work and would stay out late doing teeney-bopper stuff with her girlfriends. She'd come in and wake me up b/c she'd want to have a sleepover in our room. Then we'd fight. Then I'd get up early to leave for work and she'd be pissed b/c I'd wake her up so we'd fight more. It's kinda hard not to get on each others' nerves when you're literally sharing a bed, desk, closet, etc. Now that I've been out for a few years, it's easier to be together and I don't even mind if she hangs out at my house.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Incidentally, I find I always got along better with them during the times when we were living apart and then back together to visit...not the times when we were all living together in one house for a long time. :huh:

For me it's the other way around. I find it always hard to go back home. In the year I'm studying in another city but every weekend I'm going back home, and it's very hard to adjust to my parents way of living.
I know it's only 2 days but I have my own life in the week...
And now in summer I'm living 3 months at home.

Although there are a lot of advantages I'm longing to leave the house. My brother is 5 years older and he lives alone and I'm quite jealous about his place. But I can't afford it now to move, so I have to wait...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I've found this to be true as well. I think for my family, it's because we don't have enough personal space for everyone at my parent's house. I guess it works better when you're an only child or have a small family and have your own room.

I think this is really true. Sometimes we'd spend our summers abroad with our grandparents and cousins and my brother and I would go absolutely insane in the small spaces where you're sharing the bathroom with 8 people, sharing the bedroom with 3 others and so on.

My parents had a house in which you could get lost if you so desired and it's really possible not to even run into a person if you didn't want to. I absolutely loved it, loved the wide open space and design of it. However, if I'd have had to share a bathroom or God forbid a bedroom, I'd have gone nuts.

I moved out for college, then moved back in when I started working because my car and student loan payments were too much for my salary to cope with :reject:.

I was hoping when my sister started working (in the next county over) we could get an apartment halfway between where we both work. But then she signed a lease nearer to her work before we had a chance to really talk about it :(. I can't blame her, I wouldn't want a long commute either, but still :sigh:

I'm still home, but only because I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to be staying in this job for a while or look for another one. I don't want to sign a lease here if I'm going to be moving again to another city. After the U2 shows this fall, I have to make up my mind :reject:.

Anyway, I cope by going in my room, shutting the door and going out a lot on the weekends :lol:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom