drinking whiskey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Indiana and I never had a problem with the cops.

I do remember once during grand prix week at Purdue I think they ended up citing over 200 people in a weekend. I laughed.

JMScoopy said:
if you arent from indiana, pa, how do you know what the cops here are like?

how come they sit up by the bars on weekends and wait for people to come out and stumble walking or something so they can cite them?

and, as tiny dancer said, they cited 70 people last weekend for UAD. 70!!!!!!!! sure they have better things to do. :rolleyes:

OMG. like, totally. they should be busting people breaking the law or something!

Oh wait... :|

WildHoneyAlways said:

OMG. like, totally. they should be busting people breaking the law or something!

Well, that is part of the problem. Maybe the US should stop with all the right-wing moral majority bullshit and lower the drinking age to 18. Be more similar to the rest of the world.

That said, there should be very strict laws for drinking and driving or other behavior that puts others at risk. But if people want to behave like idiots and get drunk, let them, as long as they aren't hurting anybody. Yes, I know they could be hurting themselves, but smoking a single cigarette is harmful, while a single beer is not. Furthermore, a single cigarette is harmful to everyone around the smoker, a single beer is not. So which is worse? Of course, we could start discussing trans-fat, processed sugar, not sleeping enough, not enough exercise, etc.

dude, I am the farthest thing from right-wing. notice the sarcasm in my smilie. I could give 2 shits about underage drinking. I just get annoyed when people bitch about getting busted for it.

And zoo confessionals is not the place to debate the drinking age. start a thread in FYM if you are so inclined.

anitram said:

Sometimes I would love to be able to drag college kids like this into the lab and have them perform an alcohol experiement with cultured liver cells and then have them watch them under the microscope.

Invincible, we are not.

Excellent idea. Better yet, have this taught in schools and I'd say beginning at about the Grade 6 level, or middle school, Junior High school then through the High Schools and College campuses. It wouldn't completely solve the problem and drinking, but it would curtail it significantly. Guaranteed it would scare the crap out of a LOT of kids.

Carek1230 said:
Excellent idea. Better yet, have this taught in schools and I'd say beginning at about the Grade 6 level, or middle school, Junior High school then through the High Schools and College campuses. It wouldn't completely solve the problem and drinking, but it would curtail it significantly. Guaranteed it would scare the crap out of a LOT of kids.

:scratch: what?

Carek1230 said:

Interesting you mention this b/c I remember in fifth grade someone came to talk to us about not smoking and showed us some pretty disgusting images of tarred lungs and mouth and throat cancers. :barf: I don't remember learning about drinking at that age...

It's amazing what we take away from science labs, beyond the specific application of each lesson. This is off-topic, but a while back I read a letter printed on my school's webpage. It was from a student whose mom had taken a biology course from a certain professor. At the time, she was pregnant and planning on having an abortion. One day in lab, they were examining preserved embryos and fetuses in jars. This girl was writing the professor to tell him that she wouldn't be in his class today if it weren't for her mom's experience in that biology lab.

trust me, in health they do show you (pictures of) livers with cirrhosis or however it's spelled, and all kinds of damaging things alcohol does to you. i dunno if it works, doesn't seem to but maybe some people pay attention.

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:
dude, I am the farthest thing from right-wing. notice the sarcasm in my smilie. I could give 2 shits about underage drinking. I just get annoyed when people bitch about getting busted for it.

And zoo confessionals is not the place to debate the drinking age. start a thread in FYM if you are so inclined.

I wasn't directing it at you. You mentioned the "law" so it was a good place to bring it up.

BTW, this has already basically become a FYM thread. When people immediately starting attacking JMScoopy (half warranted I admit because of the aggression thing), it went beyond the typical support group atmosphere of Zoo Confessionals.

JMScoopy said:
i've created a monster!!!! :lol:

all i wanted to do was ask if anybody gets crazy/rowdy/angry when they drink whiskey! :scream:

Sounds like a little backtracking or rewriting to me.

You definately used "pissed off", which I would never associate with crazy or rowdy.

Carek1230 said:

oh yeah, great idea

scare the shit out of them so they never wanna have a beer or a glass of wine ever. instead of explaining the truth that these pictures are from people who abused alochol all their lives and this is how long term alcohol abuse can affect your body, and if you use MODERATION you'll be fine, they should just say this is what happens to your guts if you drink one beer. it would be great.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Sounds like a little backtracking or rewriting to me.

You definately used "pissed off", which I would never associate with crazy or rowdy.

:laugh:

i've said about 2 or 3 times that i worded the original post wrong.

i love how people just have to keep on arguing.

WildHoneyAlways said:

yeah well, the arguement was that the police here have nothing better to do. everybody knows UAD is against the law, we dont need that clarified for the 10000000th time.

JMScoopy said:

yeah well, the arguement was that the police here have nothing better to do. everybody knows UAD is against the law, we dont need that clarified for the 10000000th time.

And we all know you hate the police and think they're out to get you....for the 1295754897284th time.

I don't know what laws are like in the states, but here are a few things about liquor laws in Ontario... There's probably a few key differences, since our federal and provincial governments control the distribution of all liquor in Canada, and I don't know how it works in the states but I'm guessing it's not quite the same.

Businesses, whether they are bars or hotels or private corporations who have applied for special events permits cannot serve, sell, or solicit to sell/serve liquor to anyone under the legal drinking age without facing heavy penalties (including but not limited to fines, license suspensions, loss of license).

Liquor licenses are given to individuals (corporations, private enterprise, or citizens) and the licence stipulates the terms of distribution: where liquor can be sold and consumed, etc. You can only sell liquor if you have a license, which includes "private" property being used in a semi-public manner.

If you're having a private party at your home, your options are thus: you can either provide alcohol to your guests free of any cost (this includes charging "cover" or otherwise soliciting the costs), your guests can bring their own liquor which they will control and consume themselves, or you can obtain a liquor license which permits you to sell liquor.

In the case of a wedding reception, generally speaking, liquor licenses prohibit giving liquor to minors... So, if you have rented a facility, they (the party organizers or the property owners) have to have a liquor license for you to consume liquor on that property. That being the case, giving liquor to minors is illegal, even though it is a "private" party.

If you have a wedding reception at your house, on the other hand, and you've selected to buy a liquor license so that you can have a cash bar in your home for the event, you cannot sell it to minors or sell it to someone who will give it to a minor else you get fined heavily and probably barred from obtaining liquor lisences in the future. [as an aside: the punishments for selling liquor without a permit are more severe, so that isn't really a recommended alternative].

If you chose to provide alcohol to your guests, it should be noted that it is also illegal to buy liquor for minors from the liquor store -- so, really, the only people giving liquor to any minor should be the parents (in their own home, in private, not at a semi-private/public event) because they are legally responsible for those children and what they do in private is their own business. But if the event falls into the public realm in any way, serving alcohol to minors is a good way to get your (or the host's) pocketbook pillaged by Johnny Fed.

I've served bar at a lot of weddings at the hotel where I work, and I've had to take away liquor from kids and refuse to serve people who were buying it for those kids, and it's fine for people to get pissy about it and to be irate and yell at me and things, but what people need to understand is that when a large-scale business loses its liquor lisence and receives a huge fine that they not only lose cash immediately, but they lose profit from those lost liquor sales while under suspension, and they also face a damaged reputation which further costs them money. Since the hotel is on the university property, when the university had their license suspended for 30 days and was fined $250k for serving minors in one of the bars on campus, I reckon we lost $18k at the hotel for that month plus the revenue for 2 weddings that month because we were operating under the same license. Its easy for people to shrug and say 'well, our party is special' because that may very well be, but the law is the law, and if you want to serve booze to your kids you have to do it at home where it is your responsibility and not someone elses -- like ours, the hotelliers and restauranteurs. Right or wrong, it's our responsibility to abide by the liquor laws whether people like it or not.

I agree that its stupid to be able to vote for your country's leadership (which affects everyone) but not being able to choose to consume alcohol (which affects only you) is retarded... but that's a political issue, not a business issue. At the end of the day, businesses are out to make money; if other people want to break the law, that's your choice, but businesses can't afford to and they certainly receive no benefit from breaking the law on your behalf. If you want to serve liquor to your kids at a wedding reception at home or on the farm, knock yourself out, but I absolutely can't stand the idiots that want to booze up their kids when someone else is responsible for it and then can't understand why the responsible party tells them they can't. If you were potentially liable for damages, and culpable for the actions of others, and had to pay out a half-million dollars just so somebody else's kid could knock a few back, there's no way in hell you'd whip out your pocketbook and okay it, so don't expect anyone else to do it for you.

(sorry I got so ranty... I just need to get work-related stress off my shoulders... :mad: )

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

And we all know you hate the police and think they're out to get you....for the 1295754897284th time.

:lmao:

:tries to use restraint and not say something to get banned:

good thing im not drinking whiskey right now! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(that was a joke BTW, i know some people on here will need clarification)

Last edited:
This is such a great thread. It is amazing how seriously some people take stuff here.

BTW, the beer I just finished was damn good. :wink:

bsp77 said:
This is such a great thread. It is amazing how seriously some people take stuff here.

BTW, the beer I just finished was damn good. :wink:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, someone else here with a sense of humor! :shocked:

Last edited:
~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I don't know what laws are like in the states, but here are a few things about liquor laws in Ontario... There's probably a few key differences, since our federal and provincial governments control the distribution of all liquor in Canada, and I don't know how it works in the states but I'm guessing it's not quite the same.

Businesses, whether they are bars or hotels or private corporations who have applied for special events permits cannot serve, sell, or solicit to sell/serve liquor to anyone under the legal drinking age without facing heavy penalties (including but not limited to fines, license suspensions, loss of license).

Liquor licenses are given to individuals (corporations, private enterprise, or citizens) and the licence stipulates the terms of distribution: where liquor can be sold and consumed, etc. You can only sell liquor if you have a license, which includes "private" property being used in a semi-public manner.

If you're having a private party at your home, your options are thus: you can either provide alcohol to your guests free of any cost (this includes charging "cover" or otherwise soliciting the costs), your guests can bring their own liquor which they will control and consume themselves, or you can obtain a liquor license which permits you to sell liquor.

In the case of a wedding reception, generally speaking, liquor licenses prohibit giving liquor to minors... So, if you have rented a facility, they (the party organizers or the property owners) have to have a liquor license for you to consume liquor on that property. That being the case, giving liquor to minors is illegal, even though it is a "private" party.

If you have a wedding reception at your house, on the other hand, and you've selected to buy a liquor license so that you can have a cash bar in your home for the event, you cannot sell it to minors or sell it to someone who will give it to a minor else you get fined heavily and probably barred from obtaining liquor lisences in the future. [as an aside: the punishments for selling liquor without a permit are more severe, so that isn't really a recommended alternative].

If you chose to provide alcohol to your guests, it should be noted that it is also illegal to buy liquor for minors from the liquor store -- so, really, the only people giving liquor to any minor should be the parents (in their own home, in private, not at a semi-private/public event) because they are legally responsible for those children and what they do in private is their own business. But if the event falls into the public realm in any way, serving alcohol to minors is a good way to get your (or the host's) pocketbook pillaged by Johnny Fed.

I've served bar at a lot of weddings at the hotel where I work, and I've had to take away liquor from kids and refuse to serve people who were buying it for those kids, and it's fine for people to get pissy about it and to be irate and yell at me and things, but what people need to understand is that when a large-scale business loses its liquor lisence and receives a huge fine that they not only lose cash immediately, but they lose profit from those lost liquor sales while under suspension, and they also face a damaged reputation which further costs them money. Since the hotel is on the university property, when the university had their license suspended for 30 days and was fined $250k for serving minors in one of the bars on campus, I reckon we lost $18k at the hotel for that month plus the revenue for 2 weddings that month because we were operating under the same license. Its easy for people to shrug and say 'well, our party is special' because that may very well be, but the law is the law, and if you want to serve booze to your kids you have to do it at home where it is your responsibility and not someone elses -- like ours, the hotelliers and restauranteurs. Right or wrong, it's our responsibility to abide by the liquor laws whether people like it or not.

I agree that its stupid to be able to vote for your country's leadership (which affects everyone) but not being able to choose to consume alcohol (which affects only you) is retarded... but that's a political issue, not a business issue. At the end of the day, businesses are out to make money; if other people want to break the law, that's your choice, but businesses can't afford to and they certainly receive no benefit from breaking the law on your behalf. If you want to serve liquor to your kids at a wedding reception at home or on the farm, knock yourself out, but I absolutely can't stand the idiots that want to booze up their kids when someone else is responsible for it and then can't understand why the responsible party tells them they can't. If you were potentially liable for damages, and culpable for the actions of others, and had to pay out a half-million dollars just so somebody else's kid could knock a few back, there's no way in hell you'd whip out your pocketbook and okay it, so don't expect anyone else to do it for you.

(sorry I got so ranty... I just need to get work-related stress off my shoulders... :mad: )

well at least someone (other than me of course :wink: ) has something intelligent to say.

JMScoopy said:

oh yeah, great idea

scare the shit out of them so they never wanna have a beer or a glass of wine ever. instead of explaining the truth that these pictures are from people who abused alochol all their lives and this is how long term alcohol abuse can affect your body, and if you use MODERATION you'll be fine, they should just say this is what happens to your guts if you drink one beer. it would be great.

umm, I don't think you're getting it. but that's okay.

anyway have fun & enjoy and i don't mean that sarcastically either. :wink: just don't act like you couldn't have seen this reaction coming.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

do you have any ice cold raspberry smirnoff? I have a craving right now...

Sorry, I have a bottle of Stoli Citros but that really isn't even close. It is in the freezer though so it is ice cold.

JMScoopy said:
well at least someone (other than me of course :wink: ) has something intelligent to say.
please do not quote a long post just to add a sentence. it's unnecessary. also, there's no need to dismiss everyone's opinions you disagree with as being unintelligent.

KhanadaRhodes said:

please do not quote a long post just to add a sentence. it's unnecessary. also, there's no need to dismiss everyone's opinions you disagree with as being unintelligent.

it was a joke.

oops, i forgot to put that in parentheses like i did before. :banghead:

it's a shame i have to do that. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom