drinking whiskey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carek1230 said:

I'll bet your folks are quite proud of you too, eh?

To sit here and brag about your drinking when you are underage is a stupid thoughtless immature thing to do. Best of luck to you in your future, man....if you don't change your habits it will get worse before you know it and you could end up dead, or kill others. How would that make you feel?

Seriously, and I say this to all young people who think it soooo cool to drink and get shitfaced puking drunk. It's not worth it. You are killing brain cells and alcohol is not healthy. There are so many other healthy and fun activities to be doing rather than having pissing contests with alcohol. And whiskey at your young age...tsk tsk tsk......:rolleyes: :shame:

ETA: My father was an alcoholic and died resulting from health problems related to his alcoholism. Hope your luck is different.

I swear, I thought this post was a joke until I read the "Estimated Time of Arrival" :huh: part at the end.

I partied my way through college and don't regret a second of it.

And, for some reason, I think I'm the only one here that feels that way.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

I swear, I thought this post was a joke until I read the "Estimated Time of Arrival" :huh: part at the end.

I partied my way through college and don't regret a second of it.

And, for some reason, I think I'm the only one here that feels that way.

I partied really hard - in fact, I still do. I've nothing against it - in fact, I encourage it most weekends.

However, I think the issue most people are having with the original post is that if he is drinking something that clearly does not work, why carry on drinking it?
The idea of partying with someone who gets aggressive while drunk is not my idea of fun. :shrug:

:shrug: :shrug:

Whiskey makes me ill, but it's impolite to turn down a shot when someone hands it to you, so I drink it now and then.

I don't have any regrets about my pre-21 lifestyle either. I'm 31 now, and I look back at that time as a fun, albeit stupid, time in my life.

Party Boy said:

I partied really hard - in fact, I still do. I've nothing against it - in fact, I encourage it most weekends.

However, I think the issue most people are having with the original post is that if he is drinking something that clearly does not work, why carry on drinking it?
The idea of partying with someone who gets aggressive while drunk is not my idea of fun. :shrug:

:shrug: :shrug:

I agree with that, for sure. I mean, I only drink beer because I don't like the way I feel when I drink other shit sometimes. So, I just don't do it.
Its the holier then thou "drinking underage", etc. thing I'm not really getting.

If JMScoopy likes drinking whiskey, let him. Who are we to be the judge of him anyways? I'm sure alot of us has done some stupid things in the past whether they were drinking or not.

I'm certainly not going to condemn him. Just be careful JMS, that's all I'll say.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

I agree with that, for sure. I mean, I only drink beer because I don't like the way I feel when I drink other shit sometimes. So, I just don't do it.
Its the holier then thou "drinking underage", etc. thing I'm not really getting.

Well, I guess as someone who had their first beer aged 14, I cannot really object! By the time I did reach legal drinking age, the idea of getting pissed for the sake of it was well and truly gone.
Back home in Ireland, drinking, pubs etc are the epicentre for every town and village. The whole social fabric exists around meeting in pubs and bars. So we have grown up surrounded by drink a lot more than folk in the US and I guess maybe we have a bigger respect for it.

I have no problem with partying, at all, believe me...

But I've dealt with a lot of alcoholism first hand, and even did some couseling training while in college. Noticing aggression while drinking, especially this early in life, is a very dangerous sign.

I'm not making any judgements, for I don't know enough, but for the person admitting aggression and thinking it's somewhat normal is troublesome.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I have no problem with partying, at all, believe me...

But I've dealt with a lot of alcoholism first hand, and even did some couseling training while in college. Noticing aggression while drinking, especially this early in life, is a very dangerous sign.

I'm not making any judgements, for I don't know enough, but for the person admitting aggression and thinking it's somewhat normal is troublesome.

BVS; my post seems to have not come out the way I intended. I have a lot of first hand alchololism myself and I appreciate not only the consequences but the warning signs, etc.

I think what I'm commenting on is a general feel around these parts (not just this thread but it is a good example) of people being condemmed for drinking AT ALL and, god forbid, someone isn't of legal age if they are drinking. THAT, I don't understand.

this seems a bit unclear, so im gonna clarify it:

i dont automatically get pissed off from drinking the stuff, im saying it's easier for stuff to set me off when i drink large amounts of it. im talking real large amounts, like 1/2 a 5th. but i dont drink that much hard stuff like that anymore, LIKE I SAID 3 OR 4 TIMES ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

JMScoopy said:

i dont automatically get pissed off from drinking the stuff, im saying it's easier for stuff to set me off when i drink large amounts of it. im talking real large amounts, like 1/2 a 5th. but i dont drink that much hard stuff like that anymore, LIKE I SAID 3 OR 4 TIMES ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears this thread is gonna make you more angry than any amount of whiskey.:wink:

In a vain attempt to get back to your original question I can't really say I have personally noticed any difference in mood with different drinks though I have found that as I get older if I have had a bit too much too drink I feel very down the next day, so I tend to leave off it.:(

Last edited:
I have an aussie friend who claims that rum has a tendency to make for an angry drunk. His theory is that rum is made from cane sugar so it makes for a different kind of buzz than other types of hard alcohol. He doesn't get too agressive when he drinks but he has been known to playfully kick his friends in the ass after drinking too much rum.

In my personal experience, I have found that rum does indeed have a different type of buzz but it never makes me violent or agressive, perhaps because I am such a mellow person to begin with. It just makes me happy and giggly just like any other alcohol. I tend to be a happy drunk.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it is the alcohol that makes someone act a certain way when they are drunk, I think it is the person and their disposition. If you already have some pent-up anger inside of you, then when you drink, that side of you is likely going to come out.

That said, there are some people who really just shouldn't drink. I can't know from your posts whether you are that sort of person or not. You'll have to figure that out on your own.

U2Girl1978 said:
If JMScoopy likes drinking whiskey, let him. Who are we to be the judge of him anyways? I'm sure alot of us has done some stupid things in the past whether they were drinking or not.

I'm certainly not going to condemn him. Just be careful JMS, that's all I'll say.

:up:

JMScoopy said:

im talking real large amounts, like 1/2 a 5th.

I don't drink whisky, so i have no idea how much 1/2 a fifth is. I drink shots. So how many shots equal 1/2 a fifth?

Carek1230 said:

I'll bet your folks are quite proud of you too, eh?

To sit here and brag about your drinking when you are underage is a stupid thoughtless immature thing to do. Best of luck to you in your future, man....if you don't change your habits it will get worse before you know it and you could end up dead, or kill others. How would that make you feel?

Seriously, and I say this to all young people who think it soooo cool to drink and get shitfaced puking drunk. It's not worth it. You are killing brain cells and alcohol is not healthy. There are so many other healthy and fun activities to be doing rather than having pissing contests with alcohol. And whiskey at your young age...tsk tsk tsk......:rolleyes: :shame:

ETA: My father was an alcoholic and died resulting from health problems related to his alcoholism. Hope your luck is different.

This is way over the top (and extremely condescending). I know a lot of people who often got drunk when underage and liked to joke about it (including me). Every single one of them is normal now and NOT an alcoholic. It is a normal part of growing up.

That said, do be careful. Don't drink and drive or give yourself blood poisoning. :wink:

some people in this thread was so quick to jump on jm. im sure MOST of us at one time or another, had too much to drink, drank underage, etc, whatever.

sorry this happened to you jm.

I should clarify something I said... I typically use 'you' in the general sense, referring to people and not to a particular person. I wasn't calling JM a dipshit shitdisturber - I mean, if the shoe fits, fair enough, but I'm not here to call people names, and certainly my intent was not to hurt feelings.

So, now that I'm clear about where I'm coming from, in response to 'who are you to judge'... Most of us have learned these lessons from experience and as such we're here to pass on advice so that JM doesn't fuck things up like we (or someone we know) may have at one point or another. Despite our cautions, JM is still free to do whatever he likes, so whatever, its not like our judgements make a difference anything -- I also admire the condescending undertones of 'who are you to judge', because it implies that a judgement has been made in turn on those judges, which I'm sure isn't hypocritical at all.

I don't know how many people claimed to be innocent of doing stupid things, but I feel fairly comfortable in saying that it wasn't very many. People saying 'don't drink whiskey if it makes you angry, makes you break shit, and makes you a threat to yourself and others' is hardly some sort of deprecation of JM; if anything, it's damn fine advice. If I said 'guys, I got really fucked up on vodka one time and beat up my girlfriend' (not true, just hypothetical) the lesson to be extracted from that is: don't get so drunk that you hurt people, especially those close to you, because when you sober up you'll find that you have hurt yourself as well and the damage may be irreversable. If someone doesn't want to abide by that lesson, then let them learn it themselves, but they'll get no sympathy from me when, suprise suprise, it turns out that they would have been better off listening to people who knew what they were talking about.

So what if JM or anyone else likes to drink whiskey, they should be entitled to it. So what nothing. If you drink and know that you're going to be obnoxious when you do so, the smart thing is to not drink. Nobody is going to drink and get behind the wheel, or drink and burn someones house down, or push somebody down who just happens to hit their head on a rock and get knocked out cold (and, as with all head injuries, risk serious brain damage) and then get away with telling the courts 'well, I like drinking whiskey and even though I knew it would make me into an asshat, you have no right to judge me'.

Sure, it'd be nice if none of us were accountable for our actions becase of some half-baked idea that there's no difference between right and wrong, but that's not reality. As such, people have a huge responsibility to make sure that someone who thinks its funny and/or has no intention to stop doing things that might harm that someone or others either a) is dissuaded from doing those things anymore, or b) understands the consequences of continuing to do those things.

Sure, you're absolutely right that its their business, sure, its their choice, their responsibility, and everyone else should just butt out -- but, that said, if people can prevent this person from making a horrible mistake that might ruin their life, but why shouldn't they at least try to say something? Oh, cause its not their business? The well-being of others is everybody's business. I'd rather be forewarned that something might go wrong, so I know how to avoid it, than be completely ignorant and end up doing something I regret for the rest of my life.

But whatever. It's not like the arguments from either side have been free of inconsistencies and condescention... and while I should take other people to task here as well, I don't have the time right now. I'll be back.

JmScoopy & MirrorballLemon, I just wanted to let you know that the police arrested 70 IUP students over the weekend for underage drinking. The students that supplied the alcohol are facing big charges.

icelle said:
im sure MOST of us at one time or another, had too much to drink, drank underage, etc, whatever.

*raises hand*

However...I never had a type of alcohol make me angry. I usually just either got sentimental or giddy. :laugh: Drinking a type of alcohol that you know can make you angry can be dangerous. I think some of us are just trying to throw a little concern out there because we don't want him to end up doing something regrettable. Personally, I'm not trying to be harsh or judgemental...I'm just showing concern.

Numb1075 said:
That first pic, I thought you were in a bathtub. That would have been funnier:wink:

I seriously thought the same thing and didn't realize any different until I just read your post :lol:

btw JMScooby I apologize if I came across as preachy or condescending in any way in my post. I'm certainly not a voice of authority--I enjoy the weekends too much. I don't think anyone means to come off that way; however, a general precaution never hurt anyone. I bet we could all learn a thing or two from eachother.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

BVS; my post seems to have not come out the way I intended. I have a lot of first hand alchololism myself and I appreciate not only the consequences but the warning signs, etc.

I think what I'm commenting on is a general feel around these parts (not just this thread but it is a good example) of people being condemmed for drinking AT ALL and, god forbid, someone isn't of legal age if they are drinking. THAT, I don't understand.

Gotcha, I understand...

Bonochick said:

*raises hand*

However...I never had a type of alcohol make me angry. I usually just either got sentimental or giddy. :laugh: Drinking a type of alcohol that you know can make you angry can be dangerous. I think some of us are just trying to throw a little concern out there because we don't want him to end up doing something regrettable. Personally, I'm not trying to be harsh or judgemental...I'm just showing concern.

Everyone who's just saying, hey he's young, everyone did something stupid when they were drinking, etc.

YES, that's all fine.

But AGGRESSION isn't. Aggression is not a "normal" side effect of drinking. If he's already recognised a pattern, even if it's just 3 or 4 times, it's a sign to be concerned about.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Everyone who's just saying, hey he's young, everyone did something stupid when they were drinking, etc.

YES, that's all fine.

But AGGRESSION isn't. Aggression is not a "normal" side effect of drinking. If he's already recognised a pattern, even if it's just 3 or 4 times, it's a sign to be concerned about.

That's definitely true, aggression is not cool. I was only responding to the people that seem to be condemning drinking or underage drinking in general.

tiny dancer said:
JmScoopy & MirrorballLemon, I just wanted to let you know that the police arrested 70 IUP students over the weekend for underage drinking. The students that supplied the alcohol are facing big charges.

thanks for the info, but I'm legal (my gf isn't), and I for the most part don't really drink. I really like IUP, really I do, but I don't like the whole party school atmosphere to be honest...kinda crazy, my gf is in a sorority and drinks often, and I'm totally anti-greek and don't really drink.

opposites attract :wink:

JM I wasn't trying to make you feel bad with what I said. Just don't want to see you or someone get hurt. Will admit I did underage drinking when I was young. But I think ANYONE who drinks something that makes them angry is playing with fire.

tiny dancer said:

yes i know, i cant say i havent been down that path. im glad im turning 21 on the 18th so i dont have to worry about underages anymore.

yeah, those borough police are terrible.

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:

im glad im turning 21 on the 18th so i dont have to worry about underages anymore.

but you have to worry about being at a party where there are underagers...then you're guilty by association and you'll be sitting in court all over again. I've seen it happen.

wow, 1 or 2 people stick up for me, then everyone else starts apologizing. :lol:

you guys dont have anything to apologize about, i dont take offense too easily. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom