Drinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dandy said:
what drives me up the wall most about these types of situations is that certain people feel that i need a reason why i'm not drinking, and that i have to share that reason with them. i resent being hassled because my response of 'no, thanks, none for me tonight' is insufficient in some people's eyes.

Same here. Mind you, if they keep hassling me to the point where I'm really annoyed by it, I'm more than happy to share why I don't drink much anymore. It's a guarantee that they'll stop. But it's also not something I like talking about, so if I don't have to, I'd rather not.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
but i believe the old phrase goes "don't knock it unless you've tried it."

Believe me, I've tried it. ;) I'd also be lying if I said I didn't sometimes miss going out and getting trashed. The old "not having a hangover the next day" thing always worked really well there.

Danospano said:
Keep in mind that when intoxicated people offer you drinks it's like a gift. They want to please you, and you shouldn't be so angry about it.

I'm not angry when intoxicated people offer me drinks. It's ten times easier to get someone who is drunk to accept "no" as an answer than someone who's only just starting, or had a few. :shrug:

Danospano said:

Keep in mind that when intoxicated people offer you drinks it's like a gift. They want to please you, and you shouldn't be so angry about it. The best way to end this annoyance is to 1) continue saying 'no, thanks', or 2) Always have a glass with some sort of non-alcoholic beverage inside it. Then lie to them about what you're drinking. If you're drinking a diet coke, say it's a Rum and coke. If you're drinking water, say it's gin and tonic. Aside from the lack of carbonated bubbles, they won't know the difference.

Or, 3) you can tell them to bugger off for being a drunken ass and wasting your time! :D I've had to use option 3 on my bf's housemates before. One of them gets so sloshed he just rolls on the floor and laughs to himself. He'll tell me something he thinks is hilarious, like "thah fridge eeeez blahck!" and I'm like "Riiiiiiight!......goodbye." What people do on their own time is none of my business, but I can't stand trying to hang out with or get to know people who're so trashed they can't even pronounce their own name. :rolleyes:

I was recently at a high school party and I think I was the only person there without a drink in my hand and these people had the serious intention of getting legless by about 9pm. I really don't find people amussing when they're stumbling everywhere and telling me about their orange slippers with pink polka dots.

Besides, whats the point in getting para when you'll probably do something stupid and wake up the next morning feeling like you've had a parrot nesting in your mouth over night?

For many people drinking is a personal and painful issue, and others should accept that

There's nothing "funny" about it for those people. I certainly don't think people who are falling down drunk are funny at all, I think it's gross

If people can't accept your decision not to drink, who needs them as friends :shrug:

I find it funny that most of the people here equate drinking with drunks. That is most certainly not the case with the large number of people that drink in moderation. It seems like some people have had some kind of bad experience and are generalizing about everyone else. It is possible to drink without getting drunk.

bsp77 said:

However, a lot of people that do not drink tend to seem to act morally superior to people that do, and that pisses me off. Why would someone act above me because I have two beers at a party or two glasses of wine at dinner? I don't smoke, I try to eat well, don't sleep around and I try to exercise. I am overall very healthy and have my drinking under complete control.

I am not saying everyone who does not drink is like this. Especially people who can not drink for health reasons (diabetes, medication), but I have known many people who do act superior.

I hate that people tend to think I'm a drug addict and a drunk because I go to a certain club. Most of the time I don't even have a drink when I go to it! And I've never ever tried drugs before so why they judge people who go to a club where they sell alcohol is beyond me. Not everyone who goes out to htese places gets drunk and takes drugs.

If I want a drink, I'll have one and enjoy it. Just because someone never has a drink it doesn't give them any right to preach to me. I don't preach to them.

bsp77 said:
I find it funny that most of the people here equate drinking with drunks. That is most certainly not the case with the large number of people that drink in moderation. It seems like some people have had some kind of bad experience and are generalizing about everyone else. It is possible to drink without getting drunk.

:up:

and i for one do find certain kind of people drunk off their ass to be quite hillarious. but there are a few of my friends who i just don't like drinking with because they get a) obnoxious, b) beer muscles, c) all of the above. but the ones who are just having a good time? yes... i find them to be quite funny.

I'd rather be w/ someone who is funny and fun because of their personality, wit, and intelligence while sober- that's just my preference :shrug: I've had many a concert or whatever ruined for me by drunk/drinking people

And yes I'm well aware that not everyone who drinks is a "falling down" drunk.

Mr. BAW said:
I admire your stand...:up: No means No in all languages!

actually in poland, if you say "no" they'll take it as though you said "yes". rather ironic isn't it?

I have a similar issue at work events. My work necessitates a fair amount of socializing and dinner parties. I'm allergic to wine: it messes with my sleep patterns. So I stopped having a glass at these dinners. But people seemed to assume one of two things: that I am either a recovering alcoholic, or that I was placing myself above those who were drinking, which included everyone else. I got tired of the discussion and now the way I handle it is to always have half a glass sitting by my plate. End of annoying discussion.

I like to have a drink now and then, though. Just not wine. It's almost never my idea, but if someone says how do you take your vodka, I say on the rocks with a twist, thanks. :shrug:

I dislike the taste of alcohol, period, so the only stuff I'd drink is Lemon Ruski or raspberry vodka and that's not anywhere near enough to make me drunk. Plus I just loathe the thought of myself losing control over my actions, although I've no problems being around other people who are drunk. Unless they behave in a really disgusting manner.

I like a drink every now and again. And I don't get annoying or any different then I am normally, so I don't see the problem.

Back
Top Bottom