dad wants to get rid of our dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
which we have only have for like i dunno.....3 maybe 4 months
but hes sick of it dropping "presents" on the ground, and messing up the garden (and a crappy one in that!!)
he wants to take it too the pound.....
its a Labrodoor (excuse me spelling) , but i mean what kind of puppy doesnt do all that kind of stuff??
anyway, the dog has a week to prove its self......

maybe i should trade in my dad :lol:

My husband and I went through this when our dog was a puppy. Dogs make much better pets once they grow up. I hope your dad is willing to give it more than a week, 'cause a week probably won't help. Good luck to you and your dog.

maybe buy some dog training books, and stuff, or look up some places in your town that offer dog training, and start training it to at least show your dad that you're trying to work on the problem with the puppy? If he sees how hard you're trying, maybe he'll reconsider :shrug:

No offense to your Dad, but that's one reason there are so many animals destroyed every year-people get them who are unwilling to put the work into it and unprepared for it.

PLEASE convince him to sign the dog up for some classes/training. It will take a lot longer than a week. Dogs are wonderful companions and friends, but they are work, and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.

That's part of getting a puppy, and people should get an older dog if they are unwilling to deal w/ that. Even after your dog is trained he will make mistakes and require work.

MrsSpringsteen said:
No offense to your Dad, but that's one reason there are so many animals destroyed every year-people get them who are unwilling to put the work into it and unprepared for it.

PLEASE convince him to sign the dog up for some classes/training. It will take a lot longer than a week. Dogs are wonderful companions and friends, but they are work, and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.

That's part of getting a puppy, and people should get an older dog if they are unwilling to deal w/ that. Even after your dog is trained he will make mistakes and require work.

I fully agree. The dog can be trained. You just need time and some patience, and the will. It can be done. Read up on the net about it. I'm sure you will find some useful links dealing with this kind of stuff. (Now if it were a cat I could tell you exactly what you need to do :p)

It annoys me to no end that people take on pets, take on a responsiblity and then when things dont go their way, dump them off at the pound :angry:

A pet is for life.

Yeah, you should trade in your dad.

You wouldn't get rid of a baby for pooping on the rug or tearing things up so why get rid of a poor puppy for doing what comes naturally?

It takes patience and LOTS of training but they do outgrow all of this. Please don't let your Dad get rid of him :(

We got our black lab when he was a puppy. He had a few accidents, chewed up in the trim in our hall, and ate one of my dad's slippers. :ohmy: :shame: :laugh:

Yeah...that is what puppies do! Puppies need to be taught right from wrong. That same black lab is now close to 12 years old, and he has just been one of the most wonderful dogs in the world. :heart:

If you've had him for 3 or four months, then he is probably at least 5 or 6 months old and is fully capable of being trained, it's just a matter of doing it. Positive reinforcement is the key, no rubbing its nose in the mess after the fact. It probably will take more than a week, but it won't take forever. You need to take the dog out often enough that it won't have the urge to go in the house - like every 4-6 hours. Take it on a leash to the area of the yard that you want it to do it's business, then praise him when he goes - "Good boy!" in a high pitched voice, pet him on the head. If you catch him IN THE ACT of going in house, you can say 'No' loudly to startle him, and quickly drag him outside to finish. You need to clean his accidents spots in the house really really well so he won't sniff it and be tempted to go there again. You also need to spend more time gettng in tune with your dog and his signs that he needs to go, like sniffing around in a circle or going to the door and whining.

Good luck! :hug:

Last edited:
We had a doberman who chewed up and threw all around the house 1/3rd of our couch, it was one of the kinds where the cushions dont' come off. We kept him, though :) Doggy School works wonders :)

Labradors make the WORST pups, but grow into one of the most intelligent beautiful breeds when mature. There's a darn good reason why $60,000 is spent on training them to be guide dogs! Try and convince your dad that puppy school is a good option. Ask your vet or local council where some classes are held. Maybe scour the local papers.
I hope your dad perseveres! Labs are gorgeous dogs, but puppyhood in them is an awful few years. He wont mature until he's about 2, so you've only got about 18 months to go. With training though, he will do even better as they are so intelligent he will love learning everything you can teach him.

Good luck!
:wave:

good luck to you and your puppy.
I csan just see him and your dad becoming the best of pals once you get through the "poopy puppy" stage.
Just make sure you see them first and pick them up. Get a pooper scooper.
If you have time( try to make it) dog obedience clubs and classes are great fun. if I lived closer to town I'd definitely have gone on to agility class. Gustovox loves being asked to work. Dogs are very VERY intelligent...but they all start out as pups.

awww a labrador puppy:heart: what colour is he?
my boys want a staffordshire puppy...EGAD!!
my eldest son said walking to work isn't so bad( after his car was stolen) I've worked out why he says that...he walks past a pet shop...and he calls in there!! They have fallen in love with a border collie pup....but fortunately they realise theycan't have a dog...yet!!

Puppy love:heart:

hang in there B-man02 :)

Back
Top Bottom