Dad & I went on a shopping spree tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
So I get my student loan and yesterday I see the students en masse descending upon the city centre buying and buying. I will never just spend my money I say. So yesterday I go to the bank and I have ?500 sitting there - oh my I think I have a good bit of cash, so I take out ?60 because I bought a new phone from e-bay. Understandable. My phone now is broken.

So today I go to the Freshers fair - everyone is still buying. I get lots of free things, keyrings, chocolate, personal alarms, pens, pencils, newspapers, a pizza for a pound, :drool: boy was it good.

Still, I wasnt going to sqaunder my money. I am sensible.

So I meet Louise from school, a fashion victim and spendthrift. She said she was going to town to buy clothes. I joined her. I spent money on a new top, I needed it, it's cold and I got 10% off.

The top in question:
DPO49-fs.jpg

But this purchase set something off and I went out tonight and I spent like material goods were going out of fashion.

I bought grey trackbottoms. Nice and comfy. :up:

Then I bought my sister a top.

Then I bought myself a big woolly scarf.

When we left that shop I thought to myself "Laura you won't spend any money"

So I go to another shop and buy hair bobbles and I get my ssister earrings. She said she loved me. She only loves me because I was buying her stuff. Oh I also bought her amilkybar because she had another hypo and wouldnt have her dextro and started a tantrum in the shop. She was happy the rest of the night tho, it was worth the 30p.

So I thought to myself I wouldnt spend any more money. I went into a cd store and bought 3 cd's: Jeff Buckley - Grace, The new madoona album and the new Dido single cus my sister asked for it. In my defence they were on sale.

And to top it all I bought a poster I liked it and just bought it.

Poster_7944.jpg

Then I met my Mum and my sister told her I had bought everything in sight and my mum said my Dad had also bought lots of cd's I walked into a shop and he was buying even more things and then bought a playstation game!!!!!!!!! He doesnt even play the Playstation :laugh:

I told him about my spree and he laughed.

Ok I can't spend any money.

I only went out tonight to buy trousers cus I only have like 3 casual pairs and 2 of them have holes in them. :eek:

I never go on shopping sprees

But dammit it was good :drool:

Cant wait until my next loan installment, January :drool: Actually cant spend any more money need the rest for travel and food and living and books.

but Ill be getting wages in about 2 weeks :hmm:

No tuition fees!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine are ?1, 125 the ELB are paying a little over ?100 and I have to pay ?998 worth of fees. Like students can afford that on top of having a life :angry:

I cannot wait until they have little protests I will be down there (there = City hall/ town) deamanding an end to debt like a proper student!!!

and getting a grant!!!!!!!

:mad:

They are robbing us blind these days. Money - one minute its in your bank account. blink and you miss it. It disappears like that! *clicks fingers*

And my Dad said something that made me laugh:

Dad: There were ppl in there spent ?500 on games they kept me waiting in the queue

Mum: ?500?!

Dad: Yeah....didnt you see them....they looked like the brady bunch.....

Mum: :laugh: No I didnt see them

Dad: They piled games galore on the counter they were filthy rich you should have seen their shoes!!!!!

Me: Dad, whats shoes got to do with their spending spree :der:

Dad: They were expensive too

Me: Oh....... right....... :lmao:

My mum picked me up in town again today

My mum asked me how I was and then my Dad started talking

Me: Dad I was gonna say something there *my mobile starts ringing*

*Me talking to friend on phone*

My Dad: If you dont shut up your whining Im gonna open that door and leave you to walk home

Me: :laugh:

He is very irritable when he comes home from work.

awww lara don't feel bad, it seems you bought mostly what you needed and just a teeny bit of things you wanted. and especially don't feel bad about the poster, it is swank. :up:

My fees are ?7950 :eek:

I am be $28,500 in debt. :no:

It's still cheaper, quicker, and more fun than doing an MA in the US, though, so.... :shrug:

But I want that top. I saw someone on the bus the other day with one like it (but in cream). :up:

My friend has the cream one :up:

your fees are shocking!!!!! :ohmy:

English universities usually have higer fees than here my friend is in London and hers are unbelievable.

Queens is good too its in the top 10 universities in the UK.... :der:

*Thanks lucky stars fees are cheaper than other places*

Yeah, fees are MASSIVE for non-EU international students. But it's still comparable to the US where a lot of people pay $30,000+ a year. :eek:

jkayet's fees at LSE last year were somewhere in the range of ?9000-?10,000 I think. :no:

AND the prices are all going up. :down:

I like Nottingham better than London anyway. :)

I just looked at fees for international postgrads at Queens:

"Postgraduate students undertaking taught courses or research leading to the award of a Master's degree or a Postgraduate Diploma and students undertaking a qualifying courses for a Master's degree, ?7,755.

Postgraduate Medical and Dental courses involving elements of clinical provision, ?12,240"

All I can say is thank goodness for student loans!!

Oh med students at Queens now are paying alot of money

I forogt you were a post grad student, sorry.

Uni is expensive, you work towards a degree to get a good job but end up in lots of debt. Is it worth it like?? I love the experience though. I think I needed to go to uni. I also love my languages and really want to improve at them.

HECS is the Higher Education Contribution Scheme.
Your fees are say 12,000. You can pay them upfront and get a discount or take HECS which means you dont pay a cent back until you start working (after you've graduated). Once working and earning over a certain amount (usually around 28,000 per year) you start paying it back in your income tax at an interest rate of like 2% or something. The percentage has changed I think since I was studying. It means you have this set amount come out of your weekly/fortnightly whatever pay just like income tax, but you dont kinda see the huge debt as you get a statement with your return every year. A few years later and you are debt free and its way cheaper than a loan and easier than saving such a huge sum of money in the start.
If you dont have the debt cleared after 5 years I think it is, the debt is wiped. Tis good, but students complain a lot about it here, I dont think they realise how good we have it compared to some countries like the UK and US.

The loan I have now is from a loan company jsut for students.

We take out a loan after our financial situation has been assessed then we pay it back a little each month when we start working too.

Some ppl pay very little of their fees, I just have to pay a hefty amount due to how much my parents earn. But we dont really have that much money. We are quite well off but my parents have struggled since we moved house. Its better now though. They both got a promotion so that means more money which is good.

yep that definitley qualifies as a "spree" laura.
It must have been something in the air...a worldwide phenomenom.
I went to the city near here( small one) to take my son shoe-shopping. Got him a pair he's happy with(phew) and the deal was a second pair half price...so I got a pair of sandals for summer for me.
He wanted a pair of jeans too, got a funky pair on sale and then I noticed a "clearance sale" going on of the winter clothes. I thought everything was half price and was pleased with that. Another shopper said, "it's great eh? everything here is $5":faint: :hyper:
I set my son up in a cafe with a drink and headed back to the sale( it takes quite a while to try clothes on eh?) SCORE!! I got some much needed new jeans, a long skirt and a short denim skirt with a dragon embroidered on it:heart: and some 3/4 cargo pants for my "daughter-in law"..I was wishing she and my mum were there to try things on...I wish you had been there too:)
SCORE...8 NEW items of clothing for $40 YAY , it's my birthday YAY!!( Special Ed again)
so yes....the material world really took ahold yesterday didn't it?
but a bargain is a bargain, and I donate to charities regularly. i don't feel TOO guilty.

I wish my sons wanted to go to Uni, they just wanted to start work asap. Maybe my youngest will go, he's got great potential academically.

cass said:

I set my son up in a cafe with a drink and headed back to the sale( it takes quite a while to try clothes on eh?) SCORE!! I got some much needed new jeans, a long skirt and a short denim skirt with a dragon embroidered on it:heart: and some 3/4 cargo pants for my "daughter-in law"..I was wishing she and my mum were there to try things on...I wish you had been there too:)

I wish my sons wanted to go to Uni, they just wanted to start work asap. Maybe my youngest will go, he's got great potential academically.

Aw I would have bought everything in sight :shifty:

I work to earn my wages and Ill have to pay this money back one day - enjoy a little while I can I think.

I couldnt start working now no job I would enjoy that doesnt require a degree, really want to work using my languages.

Back
Top Bottom