Dad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouu2fan23

The Fly
I hardly post on interference, but I need to get this off my chest. April 4, my father passed away from heart failure at the age of 56. The past couple of months I haven't felt like doing anything or going anywhere. I feel like I have nothing left to live for. I know he wouldn't want me to feel this way, but he meant and still means so much to me. I would give anything to have him back just for one more day to let him know how much I love and miss him. It's hard staying in the house anymore, since I lived with him and took care of him here. I spend most of my day just sitting thinking about how he died. I just wish I could feel better and find some sort of peace. Sorry for going off on here, but whoever reads this, thanks for listening.

So terribly sorry about your loss.
Never apologize for getting things off your chest.
And it's OK to be sad about this.
Giving it a place takes (a lot of) time.

Have you talked to others about your feelings?

I lost my father under very similar circumstances. Only, it was June 4, he was 54 and I wasn't living home anymore. Especially if it's such a sudden death, probably with no signs beforehand whatsoever, the shock over it can sit very deep and it takes long to fade. I remember (if you can call it that, I only have vague memories of the months past that event) how it took me more than two months to get back to a state where my mind wasn't consumed with the loss. I had to do some finals in July, but I wasn't really able to prepare. I failed one and the others I just passed either because I didn't have to study for them, or because I spent a week with other friends watching them study, while sitting next to them not able to focus or concentrate. For some weird reason I still fared better than them in the end, because the things they studied stuck to my mind.
A good thing during this time then is to surround yourself with friends who can on the one hand distract you, but on the other hand be there and listen. If possible, it would also be helpful to make a short trip to get out of the place and have a change of walls. Especially since you are living directly in the place where all your memories of your father are connected with.
And then it's also never wrong, nor weak, nor anything, to consider professional help. As much as friends and relatives can be helpful, they can only do so much. A professional can listen to you in ways that others cannot, give you advice that others cannot and is distanced like no one else is. My mother would never have recovered weren't it for a professional helper.

wow, that is so awful :hug:

I can only echo what has already been said; time does not necessarily heal all wounds but the hurt starts to fade a little and the sweet sweet memories of happier times can help to pull you through.

Be kind to yourself as you navigate your grief, hug the memories and try to find a little space each day to focus on you :)

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Peace and strength :hug:

I have no more wisdom than what's already been said here and I cannot imagine. :hug: And yes, your dad would most definitely want you to live your life to the fullest. Sometimes, all you can do is go through the motions, put one foot in front of the other, and you'd be surprised how after a while, you find yourself with more energy and smiling again.

Good luck. Walk on, right? :)

I'm so sorry. Please give yourself time. Grieve all you need to. Lie on the floor and wail and kick your feet if you need to. Everyone grieves in his/her own way. And remember that we are all here for you when you need to talk! :hug:

:hug:

I agree with considering professional help. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope things can slowly get better for you. I think it's only natural to feel certain ways after a loss like that, so you have to allow yourself to do that for a while. Don't apologize for it :)

Back
Top Bottom