Constant Mild Depression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with bonoismymuse. I went to the doctor for my depression and he never listened to a thing that I said. I took Zoloft too, but it really didn't help much. I get really bad mood swings and I also get depressed sometimes.

I have my times where I just feel like everything is hopeless. Im a constant worrier and let my bad thoughts get the best of me. During those times I typically go off by myself and just cry. If I have to face other's than I put on that happy face though it's the last thing Im feeling. Or I will be very quiet and withdrawn if it's a really bad day. Do try to follow the advice of some and always look on the bright side of things. We all know that's easier said than done sometimes!

Know this isn't much but :hug:'s to all of you. Honestly hope that things become better for everyone!

I recently finished reading Elizabeth Wurtzel's memoir Prozac Nation, which I taught in a class called Literature and Madness. The students and I pretty much all hated it, and I definitely don't recommend it. She makes all depressed people seem like whining, self-absorbed morons.

Something that shocked me was that at the time the book was written (1994), a study had been conducted that found that the average time a doctor talked to a potentially depressed person before writing a prescription was three minutes . I have to say, from my own experience, I'm not sure that's changed in 12 years.

I had a lot of problems with Zoloft. I was thirsty all the time, and I gained quite a bit of weight. Even a year after I've been off it, I still sometimes get dizzy spells, when I never did before. (Or maybe that's the lasting effects of Vertigo? :wink: )

I still have a hard time forming a clear opinion on antidepressants. We unfortunately live in a society that has become more and more dependent on some magic little pill to save us. Ten years ago, there were few if any commercials for prescription medications, and now they're everywhere.

Something I learned from my experiences with depression is that we're the only ones who can solve our problems. For me, I know I also struggle quite a bit with negative thinking. I worry too much of others' impressions of me. I beat myself up when I make mistakes, and I put a lot of pressure on myself. Now that I'm more aware of these bad habits, I'm consciously trying to avoid doing them, or at least doing them as much. I've had setbacks over the last year, several of them pretty serious, but I'm working a lot harder to see the good in every day.

If nothing else, depression has made me really stop and examine how I'm living my life, and I think that's been good for me.

^You bring up a good point in that learning how to recognize various stages of depression or mood swings and how to change them is really the best way to live with the symptoms. Medication seems to me to mask the underlying problem. I suppose medication is fine for a temporary solution but it scares me that so many physicians are so quick to prescribe anti depressants. The longer you take them the more difficult it is to wean off of them if you are even able to. I also have felt the Vertigo even while taking them. I hope this doesn't continue long after I'm weaned off. (although the U2 Vertigo is a good kind!) :wink:

BonosBaby12 said:
I have my times where I just feel like everything is hopeless. Im a constant worrier and let my bad thoughts get the best of me. During those times I typically go off by myself and just cry. If I have to face other's than I put on that happy face though it's the last thing Im feeling. Or I will be very quiet and withdrawn if it's a really bad day.

i am experiencing all that right now. i worry about my problems and everyone elses problems actually. i have always been like that to a degree but i find the last 6 months it's been getting so much worse. i also take everything personal that people say about me and most times i think i'm a really rotten person even though i know that you can't please everyone all the time and not everyone will like me. i find it all a bit overwhelming to deal with most times and i don't know where to start to change anything. my doctor suggested that i go talk to someone but since i don' t have medical insurance through my work i can't afford to do that. i feel like i'm stuck in this depressing rut that i'll never get out of.

i'm going to start going back to yoga to relax and exercise more and hopefully it will get to a point where this becomes a bit more managable. i really don't want to go on anti depressants cause they scare me.

Last edited:
Sweet Tart said:

i am experiencing all that right now. i worry about my problems and everyone elses problems actually. i have always been like that to a degree but i find the last 6 months it's been getting so much worse. i also take everything personal that people say about me and most times i think i'm a really rotten person even though i know that you can't please everyone all the time and not everyone will like me. i find it all a bit overwhelming to deal with most times and i don't know where to start to change anything. my doctor suggested that i go talk to someone but since i don' t have medical insurance through my work i can't afford to do that. i feel like i'm stuck in this depressing rut that i'll never get out of.

i'm going to start going back to yoga to relax and exercise more and hopefully it will get to a point where this becomes a bit more managable. i really don't want to go on anti depressants cause they scare me.

:hug: Thought you could use one :). Im like you I don't want to go on anti depressants either. Have honestly found that exercise helps though. Such a great release to let everything go at the time and let you focus on yourself. Have had some mornings where I wake up and everything rushes right at me. Get into a workout though and I start feeling better. Something else that may help is if there is perhaps a friend or family member you can talk to. My bf is my very best friend and I can be so truthful with him about what Im going through. Helps a great deal when you can have someone who will just listen without judging you or feeling like you are being analyzed. With me I have found that you can get to a point of things being managable. Still have bad days but the good days really are good :). Realize Im a lot more fortunate than others who have it worse than I do though. But if you ever need someone to talk to or just to listen Im here :). Good luck honestly hope that you are able to get to a better point with everything.

BonosBaby is absolutely correct about the importance of exercise. Get the endorphins kicking and get some fresh air, get the adrenaline and heart pumping. Sunshine also helps, fresh air, plenty of sleep, lots of fluids and eating a balanced diet. I don't think as many people that are being prescribed anti depressants really do need them. I feel it's an easier route for doctors to pass off symptoms and sedate patients. Give them a drug that will slow them down, put them in a bit of a fog and they will feel all is right with the world. I am so glad I decided to stop taking mine. In the last 2 weeks I've been weaning on 1/2 dosage I've never felt better! It is evil to play with seratonin and the brain's chemical balance! Evil I say! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom