Constant fatigue and sleeping far too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I have been having this problem for a long while now. When I get up in the morning, I struggle to get out of bed, even when I have classes in the morning. This is not typical struggling to wake up; I literally run late in mornings. For example, if I have a class at 9am, I narrowly make it on time and this has been happening a lot.

When I am in class, I have a tendency to nod off. I am embarassed to say, but I have been falling asleep in class ever since I went back to school last year. I'm not doing this in every class, but often enough.

On my days off, I sleep nearly 12 hours a day, and take naps that last about an hour.

Now, I know this is not depression because I've experienced depression and this is not it. I'm chronically fatigued it seems. What is wrong with me? Anybody know?

A little. I jog in the morning two or three times a week. I am a bit overweight and out of shape. But I don't see how this would make me fall asleep in class.

You sleep TWELVE hours a day and take naps?

You do realise that you get tired by sleeping too much right?
try limiting your sleeping to 9 or 10 hours a night, and no naps, perhaps that'll make you feel better! An adult human needs only 6-9 hours a night sleep!

That's only on my days off.

I try to get out of bed by setting my alarm, but I either am forever hitting the snooze button or sleeping through the alarm radio.

When we had mold in our apartment I would sleep in and still feel very tired and exhausted all day. I was home all the time b/c Phil needed the car for work and I was waiting to start my job. I also sometimes had a headache or sinus pressure, but the biggest thing was just always feeling tired and fatigued. When I discovered the cause, our property manager found us a new apartment two days later.

Perhaps Adam is thinking more exercise could help? When I consistently run on my elliptical (lately 35-40 minutes, 5 times a week), I definitely sleep more soundly at night and feel more refreshed when I'm awake. Often I walk the dogs several miles a day too, and it seems that running actually makes it easier to walk the dogs as well, like if I get a few good cardio workouts each week, I have more energy for everything else.

i'm not a doctor, but i was diagnosed many years ago with chronic fatigue syndrome ... sounds like that's what ya got ... there's no cure, but for me, it comes and goes ... i've been dealing with it for over 20 years ...

I'm going to schedule an appointment with a doctor, hopefully for this Saturday. Let's hope what I am going through is not a symptom of anything.

I try to keep a normal exercise routine, but with my final semester at grad school plus an internship, I find it hard to squeeze in some time to exercise. Sounds like an excuse, I know, but that's the way it is.

If your diet and exercise is ok, and you have been checked by a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on, then there is a possibility it could be something like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I had it for a few years in the early 90's. Rev.Reverse is right, there is no cure for it but there are things you can do to help it. I was also fortunate that a Homeopathic medicine helped me too - Glandular Fever Nosodes - it didn't cure it but it made me able to get on with life.

It's worth maybe getting a health 'warrant of fitness' just to make sure everything is ok anyway. Everyone feels tiredness to varying degrees and caused by varying issues, it's getting to the bottom of the cause that is the hard bit! Good luck! :hug:

i'm not a doctor, but i was diagnosed many years ago with chronic fatigue syndrome ... sounds like that's what ya got ... there's no cure, but for me, it comes and goes ... i've been dealing with it for over 20 years ...

thats what i was going to say.
I know of someone close with it - was suffering terribly a little while ago but is currently ok. I don't think it's something you ever get rid of, it just can strike you down for short or extended periods at times.
It can be debilitating and also annoyingly difficult for other people to understand - i don't think people get the concept of physically not having the strength or energy to walk out of your apartment.
So it can be very frustrating and scary and, depending on the doctor, rather hard to diagnose (some are reluctant to do so when it seems there's nothing physically wrong with you)
Try get to a doc though and see what they say, and attempt a second opinion if they fob you off.
Also speak to a nutritionist - I know of several people who have dealt with chronic fatigue by cutting certain substances out of their diet.

Hope you feel better soon - sounds like you've been struggling for a while.

Adrenal fatigue perhaps? Check out this list symptoms and see if you have any more of them 30 Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue | Natural Healing and Back Pain Relief

Could also be food allergies. Wheat, eggs, dairy are the usual suspects. I don't have any kind of serious allergy to wheat but if I eat pasta for dinner I can hardly get out of bed the next day, or a sandwich for lunch means I'll need a nap.

Chronic fatigue is very real but very treatable. I would highly recommend seeing a naturopathic physician and/or nutritionist. Traditional allopathic doctors often don't take this kind of thing seriously. Also, some B12 shots might change your life along with other nutritional adjustments.

I try to keep a normal exercise routine, but with my final semester at grad school plus an internship.......

:hmm:.... with THAT as your current circumstances (ESP in THIS Economy)....sounds like it could be signs of anxiety or depression, but good to double check the body as well.

Perhaps try a higher dose of B complex.... very good for the nervous systems phyiscaslly, and "nerves" mental-emotionally!

Well, I got an appointment for Sept 13th, Saturday. I'll let all you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for all the support!

Good luck. It doesn't sound like anything that can't be changed. :hug:

Good to hear you are going to see a doctor, because this could have a lot of reasons. Depression could be one, but also allergies or deficiency symphtoms, maybe you just need to take a pill to make it better. Could be you have a virus or an infection, or your blood pressure or sugar is too low. I'm sure the doctors will find out and you will find something that will help you. Also, make sure your thyroid function is checked, because constant fatigue can also come with a non functional thyroid.

I wish you all the best.

I have been having this problem for a long while now. When I get up in the morning, I struggle to get out of bed, even when I have classes in the morning. This is not typical struggling to wake up; I literally run late in mornings. For example, if I have a class at 9am, I narrowly make it on time and this has been happening a lot.

When I am in class, I have a tendency to nod off. I am embarassed to say, but I have been falling asleep in class ever since I went back to school last year. I'm not doing this in every class, but often enough.

On my days off, I sleep nearly 12 hours a day, and take naps that last about an hour.

Now, I know this is not depression because I've experienced depression and this is not it. I'm chronically fatigued it seems. What is wrong with me? Anybody know?

I have this problem as well. Would have to link it being a former smoker in my case, frankly, cos before I started smoking would get up at 7:00 or 7:30 with no great difficulty, after 12 years of on-and-off smoking, now struggle to get up at 9:00. Don't know if that's relevant for you or not.

Update:

Earlier this week I went for a blood and urine test. The results show that I have iron and B12 deficency, so I gotta start taking the vitamins. Nothing serious, so that's good news. :)

Glad to hear you heard something. Check back in a couple weeks and let us know how you are feeling after your system regulates to taking the vitamins :up: I hope they help.

Update:

Earlier this week I went for a blood and urine test. The results show that I have iron and B12 deficency, so I gotta start taking the vitamins. Nothing serious, so that's good news. :)

Good to hear it's nothing huge! Don't forget Vitamin C helps iron supplements be absorbed, and you might find a daily dose of psyllium husks added to some OJ will help with the possible plumbing issues you may get from taking iron supplements. Psyllium is great for such things and unlike over the counter remedies is not going to cause any long term damage or result in your system becoming reliant on them.
I've battled anemia for about 10 years and have coeliac disease - so finding a good iron supplement and getting fibre at the same time (with psyllium) has become just another part of life!
Hope you're back to speed soon :)

I also suffer from a lack of iron and B12 and I'm anemic, it was discovered about 2 years ago, I guess that's when my iron reserves were all gone. It's mainly because I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years now, I don't eat meat or fish and I am partly intolerant to milk, so I try to avoid milk, especially liquid milk, whenever it's possible. Problem is you cannot give your body enough iron over the years if you only eat fruit and vegetable, because this sort of iron is hardly useful for the body. I also have a very strong menstruation and usually lose a lot of blood, so that's part of the problem, too. But you can relax, because a lot of people, especially women, suffer from iron deficiency and there is treatment and medication. I hope you feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom