Cigars? cigarettes? go on..light up!! it's OK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
a few weeks ago someone(Bonochick I think) started a thread about having the urge to take up smoking.
As usual I waded in with my opinion based on personal experience, and nothing else. Always a bad move eh? ( it's almost December...hang in there)
Anyway , I seem to recall the last post in that thread said ppl who tell other ppl what to do, gives them the irrits. I agree and I apologise for sowing gloom and doom to the potential new smokers.

It all began just before U2 bought the Popmart concert to Australia. I had the worst flu' ever, I really didn't think i would make the concert( THAT IS serious). For some time before that one friend was always saying, you sound as though you have asthma...moi? asthma? nae , never!!
I have been trying to not accept that situation, but my goodness, now I have I feel so much better. I did not want to have to take a daily medication, or even bronchodilaters during an attack, but something had to give. I'm asthmatic.I have been using a preventor for a few weeks now and it is quite remarkable the change. I still have to endeavour to quit the fags for good, but they aren't the evil culprit I was painting them to be.

So excuse me for sticking my ill-informed asthmatic bib in where it don't belong.
There are so many examples of people who smoked all their lives and died laughing at 100. I hope you are one of them.:yes:
:wave:

Yes, it was me who started the thread. :hug:

Actually...I smoked a few times since then, and it's like, I can't do this...*lol*...I can't afford it, and I know it's bad, so I'm just stoppin' before I can't. I'm glad I did...I've got nothin' against smokers though.

I may still light up occasionally to be social...but I just cooled it for awhile to be safe.

:hug: right back at ya
I'm so glad you feel that way. I am trying to remain neutral...but I still think it's a slippery slope.
And if nothing else there is the expense. That is why i have had the big reassess about my future.I could see it getting very expensive to stay alive and that would not be fair to anyone.I seriously have to adjust my budget for medication, that is sad. i'd rather spend the $$$$ on something else, to be sure.
To each their own anyway...but I'm glad you quit while you were ahead...girl/chick who has the same name as my beloved old Aunt.Hey I like the title of your story over at DOL. I have a "golden work in progress " too
take care:heart: :flirt: :combust: :flirt: :heart:

oh I had the"get more" page open..just a little bit of smilie art for old time's sake..........big kid:D

:hug: cass, I believe you are referring to me. I was the last person to post in that thread I believe. I actually developed a fair complex after posting it and was going to delete it but the thread went to thread heaven so I left it be. (note to self: do not post with the cranks anymore!!) I felt bad for basically being quite snappy in it. So, sorry and deepest apologies if anyone remembers it and was annoyed by me. My bad. :(

I've never been the hugest smoker, averaging previously around 10 a day, sometimes less, sometimes more...depending on who I am with and what I am doing. I know the risks. I know it is not healthy. And yes come January, I will start up again, because by God I miss alcohol and smokes. Smoking is my choice to make. I made that decision. Me, all me. Any body has the right to disagree with it, but to lecture those for their choices, I dont actually agree with that. We tend to use all these pot, tobacco and alcohol arguments as an opportunity to compare what is most dangerous for our health, but they are all choices. They do indeed become a crutch after a bit, but they are no different to many things. I have a friend for example who is relatively overweight. She eats terribly. Pizza at least once a week, take away food a few more nights a week, she drinks, she smokes. No drugs. I would never ever dream of telling her she is slowly killing herself. I could never look her in the eyes and say "You will most likely end up with diabetes/heart condition/lung cancer/liver failure if you dont stop".

I know also how smoking does affect those around you, but I dont smoke around non smokers. I rarely smoke in public, never in crowded public places and would not dream of lighting up while I am walking down the street. It is again MY choice, I wont inflict it on those around me who have every right to refuse to suffer from second hand smoke.

When people lecture me, I would never turn on them and lecture on the things they do wrong with their own bodies. I really think it is rude. Know our place. I try genuinely to respect those around me so they are not affected by my choices. I just ask to be respected in return.

Sorry to hear about the asthma Cass. I hope you continue to breathe better with the meds. :hug:

This is why I love this place

We are a bunch of strong minded individuals, which sometimes leads us to be guided too much by our emotions when posting.

:hug:

It's never a bad move to express your opinion cass....

Not to sound to sappy here...but I think it's nice and refreshing (especially with all the current uneasiness going on right now) to see people say "Hey, maybe I was wrong, I'm sorry."

rates this thread a billion :hug:

good one you Angie...funny how I never had a puff through 3 pregnancies. We love those babies eh?
I smoked around mine after they were born, which isjust as bad perhaps. One thing, unlike so many of their friends, they are dedicated non-smokers. I may have set a BAD example in this case. I think the dry weather and the bushfires( and having a doctor who reminds me of Gandalf:huh: and I trust) has helped in a roundabout way.
Angela...u be wonderful...a baby girl..awwwwwwwwwwww :sad: :drool: is good:yes:

what's with the mental note...am I officially on your "crank " list? :eeklaugh: what an honour.
This will be a crank-free zone very soon.
I tried Bono, I really did...sorry man.:wave:

I haven't smoked since Saturday! But then again, I'm sick. Also I'm majorly stressed about school so I guess this isn't the best time of the year to try to quit.

:mad:

Thanks Cass babe, you always make me smile :)

Also, that bit about me posting when I was in a bad mood wasn't at you. I thought my general response was fairly crabby in that other thread cos of all the finger pointing and people very rightly pointing out that smoking is BAD! I just get all defensive when people do that, I know they are right...Argh I have issues!!!
You are definately not on any "crank" list!!!

Gawd, I just read over that other reply I made in here and I sound like a real feral cow again...I think I should stop posting!!!
:(

Ignore me everyone lol
:D

so Do I!!!! **cass crawls under a rock**

but not before grabbing some matches.:tsk: :combust:
I can resist anything except temptation.
It will be Christmas soon...mother will sort me out
Anyone for some nice cold turkey?:madspit: :sick: :crazy:

btw...you are allowed to be crabby...go on...BIG SCREAM

pregnancy is magical , as I mentioned before....but it's a lot feckin' hard work.......so get right up me if you like. I have been in like a 20 year post natal depression...I wrote the book on crabbyyou may have noticed :yes: :shame:

One more bit of cass "alarmingly frank" baby stuff. I think we are alone enough here to mention it. I was prepared for a painful birth experience and it wasn't like that at all for me.......but no one mentioned the difficulties of breast-feeding. It took some getting used to. I demand fed my first son and my mother had forbade me to use a dummy. As a consequence I didn't have one good night's sleep for 3 years. I tried something with the second baby.
I noted(actually wrote down time and duration of feeds until i saw a pattern( also which side owwww mastitis..ill) and I used a dummy to pacify him when I knew he couldn't be hungry anymore. He was a *"fat fool" of a baby and he slept the night thru from 3 months old. Bliss:angel: :angel:

*fat fool : a descriptive term my g'friend uses to describe her baby. I think it's funny, I think it means "well content, satiated".

So here you go Angela...the "kit"
A nice "easy-to-see in th emiddel of the night" big dial watch, a pretty night light that throws silhouettes of U2 on the nursery ceiling ("spinning bono's":dance: ), a motherlove notebook and pen set, a just comfy kimono with big pockets for bibs and pins and stuff....aww Angela, you don't really need anything except your arms and your eyes....gazing at your baby as she gazes back at you:heart: :angel: :heart:

naahhhh you don't need a cigarette, maybe you'll not smoke again. Spend the money on your girl...and be warned, they grow up and borrow your car and put your insurance premiums up and ask to borow your credit card to buy a computer ...and stuff. But not for a while yet
:hug: you take care
It was world diabetes day yesterday . Asthma and diabetes have reached alarming rates in Oz. I plan to find out as much as I can. I think my 2003 New Year's resolution will be about smoking.I managed to keep my 2002 one....and at last, one I made in about 1990...

wide awake in Australia:wave:
u get some good sleep tonight...may all your and her dreams, be realised

Hey Cass! Just me again but you're probably in bed by now lol. Perhaps we should just take over this thread with whatever we feel like posting, yep, wide awake in Australia time for sure. I just came back from a 6 year old's birthday party. I left cos I was so tired. Now I am wide awake. It is only a 10 metre walk to their house too as they live next door. They're getting stuck into the alcohol now so it was time I left them anyway. The hub will be sore tomorrow. Me and the 6 year old will be fine though! :)
Another couple of friends had their 9 month old bub there, got me wondering and worrying again. So much to learn :crazy: We'll get there...I'll just repeat that 10 times before I go to sleep :D

You actually reminded me, we still need to get a nightlight and a clock for the nursery. And dont stop posting your stories, I love reading about it all :) I think I want a "fat fool" too! :wink:

Speaking of diabetes, I heard a terrible statistic today, that over 900,000 older Aussies have diabetes but half of them dont know it. Quite alarming figures when you consider the dangers of leaving it undiagnosed. Make sure all your family are checked regularly. :slant:

On that cheery note, I should probably turn this comp off and go to bed. So g'night all, hope it rains where you are Cass, we got a pretty good downpour today :hyper: yay!!

Back
Top Bottom