Can't Quit Smoking!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antietam

The Fly
Any suggestions on how to stop smoking?
I can't quit!!
I have quit using all drugs
I have quit school
I have quit on my girlfriends
I have quit picking my nose
I have quit eating chocolate
but I can't stop smoking?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
did you use the booger patch to get over the nose pickin' habit? just curious

Naw, I had my nose broken by 12 angry Britney Spears fans at one of her concerts? or maybe there was 13, I don't know, all I saw was small hands with pink nail polish!

I heard once that the best test to stop smoking is go to a pub and if you are able to resist having a ciggarette it's a good sign you can quit, or you could avoid pubs like the plague. (Unless pubs are non smoking where you are then that won't help you)

I also got this online when I was reading the news today about New Years Resolutions:

Tips to Stop Smoking:

Pick a date to stop and stick to it
Throw away your cigs, lighters and ashtrays
Accept that withdrawal won't be pleasant, but is a sign your body is recovering
Treat yourself, using the money you're saving on fags
Take it one day at a time

You can read about it all here ,

Aralitia.

I am giving up at the moment. I have bought nicotine lozenges and I am going through HELL :mad::mad::mad:

I haven't had a cigarette for a week, and I keep coughing up crap. It's not nice, but I'm going to do my damndest not to crack. I don't want to smoke any more. I've smoked for 12 years and it stinks :| :| :|

Sorry. That doesn't help you much does it!!

Aralitia said:
I heard once that the best test to stop smoking is go to a pub and if you are able to resist having a ciggarette it's a good sign you can quit, or you could avoid pubs like the plague. (Unless pubs are non smoking where you are then that won't help you)

let's just hope antietam doesn't live in new york...

Good luck! Its hard all I gotta say. I'm finally down to 1-2 a day (Except when I go out then it turns into more), its so hard to quit completely.
My brother chewed tobacco for 17 years and did the patch.... 2 weeks into the patch he became a non-tobacco user and hasn't chewed in about 6 months now. He swears it works.

I'm very new at this forum stuff, some of my, ahh, what call it, . .tread? got cut off, so here is the rest.
I have quit stealing clothes, feeling alone, puking after I drink, seeing my shrink, trying to create a clone,
I have quit sleeping nude, calling guys dude, scratching my toes till they bleed, obeying the do not feed signs at the zoo,
I have quit watching the simpsons, and one night liaisons, singing on the train, looking for a girl with a brain, (except u2 fans) I have quit being a hypochondriac, I have learned to never look back, I have stopped tossing my change, I have quit telling people what is needed, advice when needed is usually less heeded, I have quit saying no, now I give a definite maybe as I go, I have quit scolding the plumber, 'cause I can't do better, I have quit doubting the existence of God, now when they call for the agnostics I give them a nod, I have quit putting flowers in the vase, just like love, they only wither away, I have quit believing what I am told, and believe what I learn, I do not cut in line and take someones turn, I have quit pissing in public and now I only "drop my kids off into a pool". . . I have quit telling myselt I am disliked and that others have a mental infliction, I have quit visiting my buddy locked up in prison, I have quit believing in fate, everyone has a tombstone with their name!. . . I have quit reading my horoscope, I don't even peep, when I want to know the future I just go to sleep!. . . I have quit making wishes that I don't have the wit to get, I have quit worrying about my hieght, it is a mans length and width that matters, ain't that right? I have quit eating tasty food, 'cause its probably bad for you, I have quit making remarks about my moms beef stew, I don't look at girls with 'J-LO' butts, though that has been the hardest thing to give up!!!.... I have quit being a hero, its too dangerous a job, I have quit excercising and now I'm a blob? I can quit anything in the world, I can quit before I begin, I JUST CAN'T LEAVE MY STICKS OF SIN!!!

spinninghead77 said:

Why? New York is totally 100% non smoking. I was there a few months ago and going to bars was HELL!

yes i am well aware of that... (note location)... the advice was given to go to a bar and if you're strong enough to resist smoking there, you should be able to do it in general... that advice wouldn't work in new york because of the no somking law.

for someone who smokes only the very occasional cigar, the law is actually quite nice. i always thought the only place where i didn't mind cigarette smoke was at bars... but i'll tell ya... ever since they put the law into effect, when i go to bars that still allow ya to smoke... all be it illegaly... the smoke is extremely annoying. :shrug: i guess mass smoking is less annoying than one out of place smoker.

Don't be too hard on yourself...they say quitting smoking is harder than getting off heroin (seriously). Since you've quit everything else, why not try to cut back on cigarettes instead of trying to quit, and add a daily dose of carrot juice or fresh raw carrots to your diet (apparently it reduces the risk of lung cancer for heavy smokers by a huge percentage). Sometimes if you stop everything at once it will return later with a vengeance. I thought a friend of mine was a heavy smoker because he kept leaving the room every half hour to smoke but in fact, he would only take a couple of puffs rather than smoke a whole cigarette so that he was actually only smoking 4-5 cigarettes a day. Also, try American Spirit cigarettes if you haven't already...apparently they don't have the chemicals in them that other brands do.

Good luck!

joyfulgirl said:
Don't be too hard on yourself...they say quitting smoking is harder than getting off heroin (seriously). Since you've quit everything else, why not try to cut back on cigarettes instead of trying to quit, and add a daily dose of carrot juice or fresh raw carrots to your diet (apparently it reduces the risk of lung cancer for heavy smokers by a huge percentage). Sometimes if you stop everything at once it will return later with a vengeance. I thought a friend of mine was a heavy smoker because he kept leaving the room every half hour to smoke but in fact, he would only take a couple of puffs rather than smoke a whole cigarette so that he was actually only smoking 4-5 cigarettes a day. Also, try American Spirit cigarettes if you haven't already...apparently they don't have the chemicals in them that other brands do.

Good luck!

I KNOW HOW TOUGH QUITING HEROIN IS, I AM ONE YEAR CLEAN OF THE GEAR! IT'S DIFFERENT THOUGH

fine :)

You could use the tension that. non-smoking. or. smoking. causes.

in order to write some more brilliant lyrics.

I smoked for twenty years, and quit in five days using Wellbutrin/Zyban. It worked beautifully for me. Good luck to you, and congradulations on all of the things you HAVE quit. YAY!

antietam said:
I'm very new at this forum stuff, some of my, ahh, what call it, . .tread? got cut off, so here is the rest.
I have quit stealing clothes, feeling alone, puking after I drink, seeing my shrink, trying to create a clone,
I have quit sleeping nude, calling guys dude, scratching my toes till they bleed, obeying the do not feed signs at the zoo,
I have quit watching the simpsons, and one night liaisons, singing on the train, looking for a girl with a brain, (except u2 fans) I have quit being a hypochondriac, I have learned to never look back, I have stopped tossing my change, I have quit telling people what is needed, advice when needed is usually less heeded, I have quit saying no, now I give a definite maybe as I go, I have quit scolding the plumber, 'cause I can't do better, I have quit doubting the existence of God, now when they call for the agnostics I give them a nod, I have quit putting flowers in the vase, just like love, they only wither away, I have quit believing what I am told, and believe what I learn, I do not cut in line and take someones turn, I have quit pissing in public and now I only "drop my kids off into a pool". . . I have quit telling myselt I am disliked and that others have a mental infliction, I have quit visiting my buddy locked up in prison, I have quit believing in fate, everyone has a tombstone with their name!. . . I have quit reading my horoscope, I don't even peep, when I want to know the future I just go to sleep!. . . I have quit making wishes that I don't have the wit to get, I have quit worrying about my hieght, it is a mans length and width that matters, ain't that right? I have quit eating tasty food, 'cause its probably bad for you, I have quit making remarks about my moms beef stew, I don't look at girls with 'J-LO' butts, though that has been the hardest thing to give up!!!.... I have quit being a hero, its too dangerous a job, I have quit excercising and now I'm a blob? I can quit anything in the world, I can quit before I begin, I JUST CAN'T LEAVE MY STICKS OF SIN!!!

this is the best thing i've read in a long time. good luck in quitting. be safe...

I was once a two-packer per day...when the prices reached $2.75 I told myself that it was no longer worth it;
I walked Cold-turkey and never looked back...that was in 1988...

It can be done; you can do it! :yes:

najeena said:
CNN's resident doctor recommended using two quitting methods at once, the patch and the inhaler, or the pill and the gum...

I misread that as "the pill and the gun" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom