Can someone help me to grow my nails???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonoa

Refugee
I bite my fingernails and it's a huge problem. My fingers look like Elijah Woods' in Lord of the Rings or even worse! I always bite when I don't pay attention, when I'm watching a movie, or when I'm thinking of something. Later on I think: 'DAMN! I did it again!' I even bite until my fingers start bleeding. It's not elegant an female at all, the pink part of my nails is bitten till half its size and I'm a woman who wants to look good!:flirt:

I've tried everything to kick the habit, nice nailpolish, nailpolish with a bad taste, stuff called Byte-Ex, which you have to put on your fingertips, so you'll be in shock when you taste it whenever you start biting again. But I can even taste the latter when I'm eating a bag of crisps or a sandwich! And I'm not planning to lose weight, I want to get rid of the chewing!

I also went to a nail stylist, but she said she can't put on fake nails on mine, because my nails are too short and damaged.:ohmy:

Even now, when I thought of this last sentence, I have bitten a few off!

Can anyone give me some advice? Or is there anyone with the same problem? Please let me know!!!

Find out the reason why you're nailbiting.

It's not just a nasty habit, it has a reason. I used to do it when I was a kid. I got bullied a lot and was a nervous person, little self confidence. As soon as I got a little nervous, I started nailbiting. I noticed it and I managed to stop doing it.

Now I really need something to stop my nails from growing. I have to cut them every bloody week!

I have a habit of not actually biting them off, but chewing them and the skin around them.

Have you tried gloves? Or something else you can gnaw. (Id say chewing pens, but its not exactly a good image. :lol: ) Or maybe a lolipop or something.

Any times where my nails have grown long, Ive pretty much just "forgotten" to bite them. :huh:

@ Galeongirl,

Well, I'm kinda restless, I can't sit still. My friends alway say that I have ADD, hahaha! Maybe that's the reason why I chew my nails off.
I'm glad that you have more self confidence now and kicked the habit!:)

@ MooMoo,

Gloves?:hyper: What if it's mid summer?:hmm:
Pens don't taste as good as my own fingers, haha! And I don't like lollipops and candy that much! Okay, I eat a lot of liquorice, but I don't want to get into a fight with my dentist when I start to eat more of it!:sexywink:

Hm. Its hard to suggest. If you could find something to nibble on it might move the distraction from nails to something else...cant think of a food you'd be ok to do that with though. :scratch:

OR...distract your hands. Get something fiddly you can...fiddle with so your hands dont get to your mouth. Even if its just one of those squeezy stress things.

Ok if you're restless, find something to divert your attention to. As MooMoo said, just find something else to do.
Or get a drumkit, that works to get rid of extra energy just fine!:p

Chew sugar free gum.

Go outside an get your hand dirty with dirt an grass on it because you don't want your mouth to taste that :wink:

OR...distract your hands. Get something fiddly you can...fiddle with so your hands dont get to your mouth. Even if its just one of those squeezy stress things.

:up: :yes: my little man is a fidgeter and started the nibbly nail thing in class . . . his teacher noticed (bless her :love: ) and gave him a stress ball squeezy thing for when they had to do the ole sit on the floor and listen to the teacher bit . . . worked a treat

good luck :hug:

I'm not sure if its still available but I used to use a clear nail polish called Develop 10, you wouldn't want to put it in your mouth it tastes horrible.

It's a psychological issue.

My brother used to do it pretty badly and I remember my Mom saying that when she asked around quite a few people were helped considerably by undergoing hypnosis.

I found this on the web....here you go;

1. Get braces. I have heard that having braces makes it pretty hard to bite your nails.

2. Start filing your nails every day. If you do this consistently nailbitting will be pretty hard!

3. Spread mustard, chilli or something you really dislike on your nails, back and top. If you hate it that bad, you won't want it near your mouth.

4. Get acrylic nails. Some people have reported that these do a pretty good job. You won't want to bit them.

5. Start chewing gum. This will distract you from biting your nails.

6. Put some nail hardener on - they'll become too hard to bite now!

7. Wear some gloves. Some people wear gloves all day long so that they can prevent themselves from biting nails.

8. Ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask friends and family. They may have overcome the problem before so you may get some really good tips.

9. Read a good book about how to stop nail bitting. The internet has loads that you can download and read on your pc.

10. If you're a girl or woman then you can get a really nice manicure to deter it.

I found this on the web....here you go;

1. Get braces. I have heard that having braces makes it pretty hard to bite your nails.

Doesnt really stop me. But the metal sometimes grates against my nails and totally fucks them up. :tsk: Not so great.

Retainers might be worse though, I cant remember how I was with those, but they stick out more, so I spose it'd make for harder nail biting.

That's my problem too. :yes:

I have some issue with my nails because my nails keep growing with indents in them, as if someone dug my nails in. :|

Something I always do is chew gum (eventually my jaw gets sore, hunger pangs strike, or I bite my lip so I'm forced to stop this method) or put band-aids around my nails. When people ask what happened I always tell them that I have a few battle wounds from playing guitar. :happy:

Acrylics helped for me and I had them for years till I couldn't afford them any longer. I miss them. That nail appt every 2 weeks was like therapy for me. there's some gelatin you can take in caplet form that helps make your hair and nails grow fast. :up:

Do those "miracle nail grow now with diamonds and all sorts of magic stuff OMG!" type brush on things ever actually work?

They arnt cheap so I wouldnt want to buy one without opinion first.

Do those "miracle nail grow now with diamonds and all sorts of magic stuff OMG!" type brush on things ever actually work?

They arnt cheap so I wouldnt want to buy one without opinion first.

Never tried it, I doubt if it works. I think it's only a kind of nail polish you can put on your nails so that they taste bad when you chew. For that stuff you'd better go to the drug store, it's much cheaper.
There must be a lot of side effects with that stuff you can buy on the internet. What if you'll be farting radioactive gass for the rest of your days?:| Or have an explosive growth of body hair?

By the way, I've adopted a sunflower seeds addiction now which drives my boyfriend insane when we are watching a movie, haha! :D He asked me if I could please go back to nail biting during the moments of suspense.
(My nails are still bitten, though, but it's a start!)

Back
Top Bottom