Business Trips ... Are They Legit When There's Closing Involved ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MsMofoGone said:
If you want to explain what the benefits are in being 'dedicated and devoted' to a company that although unfortunately was closing down NOT actually firing the employess

phillyfan26 said:
Another legitimate question: If he skips this business trip, doesn't that put his severance pay at risk? I mean, you said right there that severance would be an advantage to going on this trip. Do you know how severance works? You get paid for a while.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go for one weekend on a trip to get this severance and thus have several weeks to look for a job while getting paid as opposed to skipping it and looking for a job or as you said originally to stay home with the girlfriend?

OK, my dad goes on a lot of business trips. For the last ten years or so, he has worked as a sales rep for various companies that manufacture and sell veneers to specialized accounts (high end stuff like Burton snow boards, Gibson guitars, etc). When he was at his previous job, he knew the company was going under. They were on the verge of bankruptcy and luckily another company decided to buy them. My dad knew for months that the end was near, it was over, he had to pack up and get out. Did he just stop caring about work? No. He went to work every day and went on all his upcoming business trips as planned. Sure he was looking for another job, but I guess it was an issue of pride and dignity. Why would he just throw in the towel? What good would that do?

Also, maybe the guy just likes going on business trips? My dad got a new job doing the same thing for a different company. He manages all these crazy accounts and has to go to China, Europe, Israel, Mexico, and all over the US. When we went to Gibson guitars to meet people there, he got to meet BB King. He setup all these accounts in California so he sells veneers to the people who make snowboards for the pros and now he goes to Cali a lot. If he didn't like traveling, he would be doing that position with the company. It's what he likes to do :shrug:

phillyfan26 said:
Another legitimate question: If he skips this business trip, doesn't that put his severance pay at risk? I mean, you said right there that severance would be an advantage to going on this trip. Do you know how severance works? You get paid for a while.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go for one weekend on a trip to get this severance and thus have several weeks to look for a job while getting paid as opposed to skipping it and looking for a job or as you said originally to stay home with the girlfriend?

He went on this business trip because of a sales opportunity 'perk' for the sales managers. He ISN'T even classified as a sales manager ... he's in charge of the warehouse. Meaning, he makes sure the employees do their jobs to get the orders out every day. The sales managers are in charge of having their recruits SELL their products ... in other words, create business (orders or work in general) for the company.

Now let me clarify more ... as I mentioned earlier. The employees were also given the opportunity to go on this business trip. Again, it was a sales perk to get more sales for the company. That would make sense for the sales people to go on this trip and 'talk shop' with their prospective clients. But, why should the employees have gone ?? Oh, actually ... let me re-phrase that !!
The employees 'turned down' the opoortunity to go and they are all getting their severance pay and bonus at the end of the month ... (as long as they work through to the last day of employment ... that was the only requirement made by the corporate heads) The fact they did NOT go on that business trip made entirely no difference. So again, the 'warehouse' manager going on a 'sales' promotion perk ... makes no difference, either. He's not a 'sales' manager ... he's a 'warehouse' manager. Absolutely 2 different job fields.

End of explanation ... now give me an answer ?? :hmm:

An answer? This is completely blown out of proportion, something out of literally nothing, and you turned 180 degrees on the reasons why you ... I mean she, wanted him to stay home.

That's my answer.

She does not actually read and absorb the replies, people. She probably think Lies' Dad is an adulterer now.

My advice? Do as I am about to do and leave this thread behind. Dead horses and brick walls and uphill climbs abound, best to avoid.

Ms. Mo

This isn't any of your business. It involves your "friend" and her boyfriend. Not you.

You've overstepped the bounds of that friendship airing their personal problems to strangers.

It's none of your business.

Please, the next time you get the urge to throw another friend under the bus just eat something sweet and the feeling will pass.

Because it's none of your business.

Maybe you should look for a hobby? Scrapbooking? Orienteering? Spelunking? Attending Star Trek conventions? All a valid use of time.

phillyfan26 said:
An answer? This is completely blown out of proportion, something out of literally nothing, and you turned 180 degrees on the reasons why you ... I mean she, wanted him to stay home.

That's my answer.

So according to you ... the employees should have gone on this trip as well as their warehouse manager ?? What ??

Since the employees decided they wanted to stay home and NOT 'take up' the opportunity to go to Atlanta for the weekend on this trip ... then why is it ridiculous for his girlfriend to want him to stay home and NOT go either ?? :shrug:

Forget about him trying to find another job right away ... it's a crime to spend the weekend with his girlfriend, instead of going on a 'pointless' business trip ?? :huh:

He had already said he was going, and you're saying he shouldn't now because he's going to lose his job. I think he feels like since he committed it would not make sense to back out now. Plus, even if the opportunity is small, staying involved till the end says something, and if there are possibilities of other opportunities, it's not a bad thing.

It's not ridiculous for her to want him to stay home and NOT go ... but what IS ridiculous is the fact that she got so upset about it that she told you, let alone that you felt the need to post it here.

It's not a crime, but it's not worth getting very upset and posting it on a message board.

Last weekend he went to his girlfriend's mothers to re-set the video machine.

But this weekend ... it's business time.

You know what...like, once a month, the guy I live with goes on a business trip, overnight, to MINNESOTA. That can't be true, even though his company is headquartered there, and he is a REALLY dedicated manager and really enjoys the steady income, benefits, and other perks that come with the job. Also, he tells me he enjoys these meetings for the networking opportunities and seeing people he ONLY gets to see at these meetings. But who would want to go to MINNESOTA in the middle of winter?! I bet he's totally cheating on me with any Hispanics that might be there. I think every time he goes, I'm gonna post a thread that I can't believe he left me for the night. He should prefer sitting on the couch with me, watching Mythbusters, to the opportunities and challenges these so-called Minnesota meetings bring. :tsk:

MsMofoGone said:

So again, the 'warehouse' manager going on a 'sales' promotion perk ... makes no difference, either. He's not a 'sales' manager ... he's a 'warehouse' manager. Absolutely 2 different job fields.

Why the hell do you care???

MsMofoGone said:

Since the employees decided they wanted to stay home and NOT 'take up' the opportunity to go to Atlanta for the weekend on this trip ... then why is it ridiculous for his girlfriend to want him to stay home and NOT go either ?? :shrug:

Two points....

1) You keep on mentioning the fact that this is a "sales perk" trip. If it is a perk, then why not take advantage of a travel opportunity before your job is done? An opportunity to get away when someone else is paying is a good deal. AND, there may be opportunities to network with other organizations/companies that may need his talents now that he is on the open market...right? I think one weekend apart after being together for eight years (I assume they plan to be together for the next eight too) is OK.

2) I am not sure why you are asking for advice when it seems like you have all the answers. EVERYTHING people have posted here you have refused as being an acceptable "answer."

Last edited:
Originally posted by zonelistener

Two points....

1) AND, there may be opportunities to network with other organizations/companies that may need his talents now that he is on the open market...right? I think one weekend apart after being together for eight years (I assume they plan to be together for the next eight too) is OK.

OK ... that could be fair enough. But, since my girlfriend has NO intention of relocating to another state ... she's gotta be more concerned about what could happen if he was offered a job opportunity elsewhere. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing for him (considering he WILL need another job) but, she would NOT probably guarantee leaving her home here. So, I guess it could very well be that she IS wondering if he would consider moving if given the opportunity OR would he stay here and look for new employment and not give that particular opportunity a possibility.

Originally posted by zonelistener
2) I am not sure why you are asking for advice when it seems like you have all the answers. EVERYTHING people have posted here you have refused as being an acceptable "answer."

Not really ... just thought he was ridiculous to go on a business trip, when the trip wasn't specifically for HIS job position. Here's a scenario ... You are applying for a payroll accounting job ... so would you accept a job as a forklift driver, if it was NOT part of your job ?? In other words ... he manages the warehouse ... not the sales managers OR the opportunity on how to get the clients to sell more products. If there was a networking force within other opportunities for placement in HIS job field or similiar (meaning, warehouse positions ... if not warehouse management) then yes, that could be a HUGE PLUS as to why he should have gone on that trip. But, if it was strictly to benefit the Sales Department's efforts ... then, there's something wrong with him being there as a 'warehouse' representative for a 'sales' promo.

the GUY is a WAREHOUSE guy facing UNEMPLOYMENT who is GETTING to go to ATLANTA for a weekend AWAY for FREE. leave the POOR bastard fucking ALONE.

you and your little coven sound like the most insecure, clingy, soul sucking, independence killers i've ever heard of. with the scenarios you develop and then believe in to the extent that any logic brooks no argument, there is some government out there that will hire you to be judge and jury to anyone who challenges their regime.

maybe your friend should dye her hair and see if he stays home. oh wait, not noticing got some other poor fucker in trouble and probably some poor hispanic girl on a watch list, never mind.

snowbunny00774 said:
the GUY is a WAREHOUSE guy facing UNEMPLOYMENT who is GETTING to go to ATLANTA for a weekend AWAY for FREE. leave the POOR bastard fucking ALONE.

you and your little coven sound like the most insecure, clingy, soul sucking, independence killers i've ever heard of. with the scenarios you develop and then believe in to the extent that any logic brooks no argument, there is some government out there that will hire you to be judge and jury to anyone who challenges their regime.

maybe your friend should dye her hair and see if he stays home. oh wait, not noticing got some other poor fucker in trouble and probably some poor hispanic girl on a watch list, never mind.

:heart:

MsMofoGone said:

So, I guess it could very well be that she IS wondering if he would consider moving if given the opportunity OR would he stay here and look for new employment and not give that particular opportunity a possibility.

Has she asked him?

Did she ask him why he decided to go on this trip?

snowbunny00774 said:

And he went to Atlanta to promote the sales efforts ... NOT his warehouse skills ?? :der:

No wonder his company is closing his location ... they don't even understand how to manage or account for their 'NECESSARY' spending. It's a matter of why go when it's NOT a requirement for your job position ?? Or NOT beneficial for you to be there !! His company would have sent EVERY employee to this promo ... if they wanted to go. Since there was NO reason for ANY of them to go ... maybe, that's why the employees were 'smart enough' to realize they would 'turn down' the offer ?? :bow:

Being clingy or insecure has nothing to do with it. Obviously, you forget the other employees are losing their jobs too. So, they are now considered 'clingy and insecure' for staying home with their families and NOT taking advantage of a 'pointless' trip out of town ?? Maybe you should pay attention to the BS you're shovelling back here !! :eyebrow:

Yes. der me.

I like the red one for mine, what colour do you use?

shovel_w_handle_lg.jpg

anitram said:
MsMofo are you for real?

Like, seriously?

That's what I said before. I honestly think that she might be doing this deliberately, like some sort of weird internet game show.....she's seeing how many people can lose it in here.

Nobody is this obtuse.

Originally posted by meegannie

Has she asked him?

No, she hasn't spoken to him about it, she's probably waiting for him to get back from his business venture first.

Originally posted by meegannie
Did she ask him why he decided to go on this trip?

She told me it was because he has never been to Atlanta ... so he figured since the company was inviting the employees to go, he would just go ahead and go. It had nothing to do with benefitting his job position ... it was really a trip for the sales managers and clients primarilly, since the fiscal year in 2007 was profitable because of their sales efforts.

The corporate heads just decided to invite EVERY employee to 'join in' on this celebration, if they wanted to go ?? :huh:

MsMofoGone said:

She told me it was because he has never been to Atlanta ... so he figured since the company was inviting the employees to go, he would just go ahead and go.

Ooooooooh, well when you put it that way, he sounds like a total sketchbag! I mean, what kind of reasoning is that???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom