ask Irvine about men!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the soul waits said:

Wow Irvine, that's quite catty, don't you think.

Are you saying that someone in college doesn't deal with real people? What do you know about their background?

For the record, I graduated 10-ish years ago and I share IwasBored's opnion.

The intent of this thread rubs me the wrong way in more ways than I have the energy to even share right now.

:|

well, you don't have to participate in the thread. though you're considerate enough to come out and say it, instead of trying to make it into some sort of juvenile pissing contest.

and i was asked to do this. i thought it would be fun.

this isn't FYM. but maybe i'm better of just staying in there.

Irvine511 said:

about as well as you know me.

hello, pot? this is the kettle calling.

wrong. i'm well aware i don't know you. so i decided to fuck with you (in a very mild way, i wouldn't even call it fucking) to find out. you just fell back on your love affair with the sweeping generalization to make your comment. way to go. now we can be friends.

Irvine511 said:

frankly, because many girls are attracted to arrogant assholes.

:bow:

It is wise to remember that. I don't completely support that way of being, (though, sure, I imagine I do sound rather arrogant at times), but I know guys who do, and so it is. A lot of women are, unfortunatly, attracted to jerks. I mean...... just look at what we're fed as "attractive" these days (popculture, so to say). :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's womens' fault, no. But it's a primal thing that goes way back.

....And also, because the opposite - being a doormat- gets you almost nowhere in life. Especially when dealing with other, more primal males. It's a dog eat dog world, for some more than others. Ultimately, it goes back to a lot of how things were back in caveman days, if you ask me................

=

I think this is a great idea for a thread, and I like Irvine's postings more often than not. I don't quite understand all the fuss.... but I guess that really isn't something I'm supposed to. I hope the thread goes well.

IWasBored said:

wrong. i'm well aware i don't know you. so i decided to fuck with you (in a very mild way, i wouldn't even call it fucking) to find out. you just fell back on your love affair with the sweeping generalization to make your comment. way to go. now we can be friends.

no, sweetie, you called me Martha Stewart after a few posts, and now you're saying you've found out all about me? what, exactly? reading your journal, it's clear you actually are in college. if you want to fight out sweeping generalizations, i invite you to join us in FYM where we actually do have intellectual discussions and there, yes, sweeping generalizations are attacked and scrutinized as they should be.

this is not the time nor the place for that. this was supposed to be fun, and everyone should know that we are talking about things in general.

Sorry, I don't buy that:

"and i was asked to do this. i thought it would be fun."

You obviously thought you were in a position to give sound advice. If you were asked to do this and thought you weren't qualified, you wouldn't have started this thread, so clearly, you think you are.

I have mentioned before in FYM-threads a few months ago (you probably don't remember) that I live with my best male friend who's gay and I have let him read some of your "pointers" and he was in utter disagreement.

As I said, I don't have the energy to go into detail right now, I will do so if you're interested, but I just wanted to counter the all-bow-to-Irvine-attitude that more than one female poster in here has displayed in this thread

And I think you're way out of line in your comments to IWasBored, sorry

You started the thread, she reacted there's no pot nor a kettle to be called black here.

the soul waits said:
Sorry, I don't buy that:

"and i was asked to do this. i thought it would be fun."

You obviously thought you were in a position to give sound advice. If you were asked to do this and thought you weren't qualified, you wouldn't have started this thread, so clearly, you think you are.

I have mentioned before in FYM-threads a few months ago (you probably don't remember) that I live with my best male friend who's gay and I have let him read some of your "pointers" and he was in utter disagreement.

As I said, I don't have the energy to go into detail right now, I will do so if you're interested, but I just wanted to counter the all-bow-to-Irvine-attitude that more than one female poster in here has displayed in this thread

And I think you're way out of line in your comments to IWasBored, sorry

You started the thread, she reacted there's no pot nor a kettle to be called black here.

no, i remember you talking about your gay friends, and i think i responded that it's obvious that there's diversity in the gay community. if he wants to email me, please, i love a good discussion.

and you are wrong. i was asked to do this. go see the "i'm in big trouble thread, part 2." and yes, i did think it would be fun. why not?

do i think i'm qualified? as qualified as anyone else on Interference. am i qualified to be a therapist? to write books? no. that said, i have had some training in counseling, and i've served as a peer advisor in various capacities when i was in university.

there are people on here that i've developed a very nice rapport with, and there's a lot that goes on in PMing that you don't see, people asking me for advice for thoughts and for opinions, and so i thought it would be fun to be a bit more public about it.

no, i don't think i'm some sort of omniscent being. but i do think i'm thoughtful, i do think i pay attention, and i do think i have something to say. i think that there are lots and lots of people in here who could start the same thread and have equally good (or bad) things to say. but they haven't. and i have. and that's how it is.

i have nothing to apologize for, and nothing to answer to. this is an on-line message board, it's very casual, and i'm not trying to sell anyone anything. if you think my advice is crap, ignore it. disagree with me. do whatever you want.

but don't question my right to start the thread.

if the mods think it's inappropriate, then that's their power to shut it down. and that's fine.

oh, and i felt as if my comments to IWB were entirely appropriate -- she was clearly trying to pick a fight, as she said so herself. so how do you expect me to react?

Last edited:
Uh just for the record, I don't have an "all bow to Irvine" attitude, I don't have that attitude about anyone who participates on Int. I simply asked a couple of questions because the thread happened to be the only one I read when I visited this forum. I can make up my own mind and form my own opinions on the subject of my questions, just to clear that up..

That's all, I don't want to get involved in what is going on here

Irvine511 said:

frankly, because many girls are attracted to arrogant assholes.

:reject: yeah, i might have been guilty of that in the past... but i am trying to change my ways, really!!!

i love all your advice, Irvine. i wish i had a guy issue to ask about, but sadly i have no crushes nor prospects right now. :sigh: actually, it's not all that bad- quite stress-free! :wink:

btw, have the ladies of Interference ever read the book, "he's just not that into you?" if you like Irvine's advice, you might like this book too... i read it in about an hour- it's a fast read, quite funny... and i've found it the advice in there to be so very true! :giggle:

well, to be frank, i'm a little upset with how this has gone.

i'm leaving work now, and will be out for most of the rest of the evening and then away most of the weekend at a wedding in Baltimore.

i'll see how this goes.

i wanted to have some fun, but it seems to be engendering a level of resentment that i'm not comfortable with -- if it were about a political issue, that's one thing; but this has gotten a bit too personal for my tastes, which i find very disappointing. and it makes me appreciate the FYM kids all that much more.

i hope everyone has a good weekend.

For Honor said:

I think this is a great idea for a thread, and I like Irvine's postings more often than not. I don't quite understand all the fuss.... but I guess that really isn't something I'm supposed to. I hope the thread goes well.

:up: i like this thread too... i enjoy Irvine's advice, and welcome the advice of other Interferencers. i hope that the thread stays open and that everyone can get along! :sad: [/Rodney King moment]

errr :eyebrow: Should I edit my post if this thread is turning into something it wasn't originally intended to be?

alison

did you ever meet up with him? sounds like he might have been hiding something or just enjoying leading you on. If he keeps coming up with excuses to avoid anything then he's probably up to something.

You deserve better either way and I hope you find it :hug:

It's a shame that 1 or 2 people have to always be so god damn rude. If you dont like the thread dont freaking post in it, rate it one star, whatever but let the people that are interested in the thread enjoy it for gods sakes.

All women love hot guys, like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, to come up to them and say, "You know you want me. You know I am hot. You know you want to suck my dick. You know you want me to fuck you hard."

Woman want hot guys. that's all they want. They want to fuck hot guys.

:yes:

Sicy said:
It's a shame that 1 or 2 people have to always be so god damn rude. If you dont like the thread dont freaking post in it, rate it one star, whatever but let the people that are interested in the thread enjoy it for gods sakes.

as always Sicy...:up:

redkat said:
alison

did you ever meet up with him? sounds like he might have been hiding something or just enjoying leading you on. If he keeps coming up with excuses to avoid anything then he's probably up to something.

You deserve better either way and I hope you find it :hug:

redkat, I decided to edit my post, but thanks for the :hug:

We met in April.. he's had plenty of time to make it clear he wasn't interested. :( I sent him an email last night explaining how I feel. I'm waiting on the reply now.. :huh:

Windmilllane said:
All women love hot guys, like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, to come up to them and say, "You know you want me. You know I am hot. You know you want to suck my dick. You know you want me to fuck you hard."

you. know. nothing.

go away

the soul waits said:

Wow Irvine, that's quite catty, don't you think.

Are you saying that someone in college doesn't deal with real people? What do you know about their background?

For the record, I graduated 10-ish years ago and I share IwasBored's opnion.

The intent of this thread rubs me the wrong way in more ways than I have the energy to even share right now.

Then DON'T FUCKING READ IT! :madspit:

This is frustrating! What a turn this thread has taken, when it was supposed to be lighthearted and fun. Let's get this thread back on track...it still has potential.

Windmilllane said:

wow. i saw your name browsing this forum and thought, 'well, it won't take him long to post in this thread saying how all women want is to fuck hot guys.' and look! not ten minutes later, here we are.

take your self-hating vitriol somewhere else. we're all pretty sick of it here.

i think this thread has great potential, once we weed out the people who are coming in here just to be mean.

Windmilllane said:

This could go a long way to explaining why you are single.

One thing I disagree with what Irvine said - about how women are attracted to asshole guys. I really don't think that's necessarily true per se (obviously I can't say for every case), but it's more that sometimes you have very nice guys who happen to be under the impression that "nice" is a personality. Well, it isn't. And so when women are attracted to men who maybe aren't as "nice" but they put forth their personality in a better way, ie. they are athletic or they enjoy music or they read certain types of books or they like hiking, or whatever shared interests, of course we would rather go for that. And many times, this bites us in the ass, because you get to know the guy and you realize that you want somebody who would treat you better. But nonetheless, IMO, some men have this tendency to rely on their "nice guy" status to attract women to the point where they feel like because they are a nice guy, that is enough, we should fall at their feet and immediately date them. It just doesn't work like that.

anitram said:

One thing I disagree with what Irvine said - about how women are attracted to asshole guys. I really don't think that's necessarily true per se (obviously I can't say for every case), but it's more that sometimes you have very nice guys who happen to be under the impression that "nice" is a personality. Well, it isn't. And so when women are attracted to men who maybe aren't as "nice" but they put forth their personality in a better way, ie. they are athletic or they enjoy music or they read certain types of books or they like hiking, or whatever shared interests, of course we would rather go for that. And many times, this bites us in the ass, because you get to know the guy and you realize that you want somebody who would treat you better. But nonetheless, IMO, some men have this tendency to rely on their "nice guy" status to attract women to the point where they feel like because they are a nice guy, that is enough, we should fall at their feet and immediately date them. It just doesn't work like that.

:up:

anitram said:

This could go a long way to explaining why you are single.

I am single because I am downright ugly. I have a big nose, a skinny face and balding. Now, if I were a hot-looking guy, I could get any woman I want. But because I am ugly, women have no interest in me whatsoever, no matter how great my personality is. Life is all about good looks.

Back
Top Bottom