Argh..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devlin

War Child
So, this kid I work with - I think his mom is a complete nut. She kicked him out of her house because he's gay. The kid's only sixteen! I mean, what the fuck! She also complains about him being 'selfish and disrespectful'. Jeez. He's supposed to be. He's a teenager! He's basically a good kid who has to deal with being gay and black and young. I could kill his mother. Fortunately, another young coworker, whose mother isn't so intolerant, has agreed to take him in until he can find permanent shelter.

Needless to say, the rest of us are offering what we can to help him out as well, so he doesn't fall through the cracks and get killed on the streets, or something.

I still want to beat his mother for her stupidity. You /don't/ kick a boy out on the streets because you don't like his sexual orientation.

I'm sure he isn't an angel, but God almighty, what kind of christian does that to a /child/?

Devlin said:
So, this kid I work with - I think his mom is a complete nut. She kicked him out of her house because he's gay. The kid's only sixteen! I mean, what the fuck! She also complains about him being 'selfish and disrespectful'. Jeez. He's supposed to be. He's a teenager! He's basically a good kid who has to deal with being gay and black and young. I could kill his mother. Fortunately, another young coworker, whose mother isn't so intolerant, has agreed to take him in until he can find permanent shelter.

Needless to say, the rest of us are offering what we can to help him out as well, so he doesn't fall through the cracks and get killed on the streets, or something.

I still want to beat his mother for her stupidity. You /don't/ kick a boy out on the streets because you don't like his sexual orientation.

I'm sure he isn't an angel, but God almighty, what kind of christian does that to a /child/?

Of course, you are only hearing one side of the story. Do you know the kid enough to know if he's telling you the truth about what other thinsg he may/may not have done?

But if the kid is being 100 % honest, then it's horrible, and that woman is one of the many people who doesn't deserve to be a parent. If my kid told me he was gay, it would quite honestly, break my heart, but I wouldn't kick him out or punish him.

But man, come on, what would beating or killing the mother do to help the situation?

If his mother is truly the way he said she is then that's really sad with the way she's treating her own son. Sure it's not the easiest thing for any parent to accept that their child is gay. But to me having a child means loving them unconditionally no matter what their sexual orientation is.

Geez. I hope that she gets over herself and there is possibly some sort of acceptance of him.

If not though, all you can do is just be a good friend. Listen when or if it is needed, and honestly, do, well, what you've always done in the past. Let him see that he has support in you.

Isn't that wierd how much you can be effected by a co-worker's life? I work with this girl who wears lots of bracelets and other wrist bands and today, I noticed some scratches on her arm. I asked her what happened and she just kind of walked away and said, "nothing." I have only worked there for 2 weeks so I'm still getting to know her really, so I don't know what I can do yet, if anything.

I'm the praying type so my prayers will go out for you and him for sure. I can't stand people who judge like that... Hang in there Devlin. :(

80's: It's a figure of speech. And no, I don't think he's perfect. I'm sure he's annoying as hell. Like any teenager. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's been a right royal brat at times, and has probably done some less than stellar things guaranteed to drive a parent to drink.

But from the way she talks to him - and I've heard the way she talks to him - she's got some major stupidity issues going on.

Still, short of him endagering their lives - drugs and the like - you don't put the kid out. Period.

I hope she will come to her senses. I can't imagine doing this to your own child. Being a parent I really want to beat her with a big stick. :madwife: I'm glad the boy has some sort of support for now. I hope this works out for the best. Its such a bad situation.

My mother is a Christian woman and years ago my brother was holding in a deep dark secret. For a while she thought he was gay. It was really upsetting. When we found out that he was really mentally ill my mother cried and said "Why can't he just be gay?" That put it in huge perspective for me. Its not a death sentences. There are things that could be so much worse. If your son or daughter is gay, it shouldn't change how you feel about them. When I told my mother that I was bi-sexual, she didn't even cry. She told me that no matter what nothing can change that I'm her kid and that she loves me. That to me is what a good parent should be like. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom