Are you more open here than you are with real life friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
O.k. so alot of us post our thoughts and questions here. We ask each other for advice and paint the scenarios going on in our lives for all to see here. We do this openly because it's annonimous and it feels safe. It's a good thing but.. how would you feel if you found out real life friends also posted here and read your posts. Would you be as open? I don't know if I would. Kinda strange in a way. The part of this place being so annonimous allows myself and I'm sure others the chance to be more open and honest with themselves than they would be in the "real world". Honestly I would cringe if I knew that the girl I'm trying to see came her and read my thread "puting yourself out there is tough". I haven't used any names but the scenario would be pretty obvious from her point of view. Anyone else feel this way.

There's only one subject that I wouldn't talk about, and it has always been that way, and always will be, most likely.

Other than that....... yeah, if some kids from school knew about this, I bet it would change their perception of me a little. But I really wouldn't change what I have to say. As long as there were still mature people who could give the respect needed to certain posts and ideas, I'd keep writing.

But if it was just my friends (well, I say I've only really got 4 good solid friends post highschool, and those people, yeah, I would discuss these things with) and my age peers, no way. Well, maybe they've become a little better at talking about thigns like this, I don't know. I've lost some faith in them :uhoh:

heh...

For Honor said:
There's only one subject that I wouldn't talk about, and it has always been that way, and always will be, most likely.

Other than that....... yeah, if some kids from school knew about this, I bet it would change their perception of me a little. But I really wouldn't change what I have to say. As long as there were still mature people who could give the respect needed to certain posts and ideas, I'd keep writing.

But if it was just my friends (well, I say I've only really got 4 good solid friends post highschool, and those people, yeah, I would discuss these things with) and my age peers, no way. Well, maybe they've become a little better at talking about thigns like this, I don't know. I've lost some faith in them :uhoh:

heh...

The way I look at it it's almost like a journal. People keep journals to vent out their feelings. Here it's the same but on a more interactive level. You get input. It's like your journal talks back to you. That might sound corny but hey whatever right. But you're right. Perceptions could change if friedns or aquaintences were to read what's written.

Hallucination said:

The way I look at it it's almost like a journal. People keep journals to vent out their feelings. Here it's the same but on a more interactive level. You get input. It's like your journal talks back to you. That might sound corny but hey whatever right. But you're right. Perceptions could change if friedns or aquaintences were to read what's written.

Yeah, that's very true.

I have one friend who is my best friend in the world and I can talk about absolutely anything with. But everyone else...yeah, I've talked to them about what I've written in Zoo somewhat, but if I thought, say, the guy I'm in love with was reading my posts, I definitely wouldn't have said everything I said. I like being able to write basically anything I want with no fear of people's reactions. I love you guys :hug:

I love posting here, because it really is like an interactive journal. You get responses about what you write, which can be a very helpful thing. Sometimes it takes another perspective to see things clearly.

I haven't really posted that much, but I am definitely more open here. I am very open with a few friends. But for the most part, I am more open here than with many friends and with my parents :ohmy: Maybe it's the anonymous thing... I'm not really sure.

well, in this last period i'm REALLY sicere, so what I'm writing here is almost the same that I'm telling to the people I know in the real life.
I tend to ask for advice here when I find myself in situations no-one of my friend have been before.

I dunno how I would react if some of the people I know would be around... but I think it'd the same for me.

I used to be much more mysterious and reserved in the past, but now I'm not longer so jealous of sone aspects of my life.

I don't think I'm that much more open here. About U2, yes, but that's kinda the point. My boyfriend and many of my close friends are members here, so it's not like I can talk shit about people and not have it come full circle. I even e-mail my mom links to some of my posts for her to read, mostly posts abour concert experiences so I don't have to keep re-telling the same stories. I don't regret anything I've ever said on here and I wouldn't say anything on Interferences that I wouldn't say out loud.

yes, I am. but in person I tend to be pretty quiet, especially if theres a group of people.
I used to talk to people more in real life but i moved across the country and dont have many close friends anymore :shrug:
But at least I have my best friend around all the time and I can tell him anything :yes:
Aside from him, I say a lot more on here than I do to anybody in real life. Its easier when most of the audience is anonymous

I'm definetly more open here than I am with my real life friends...i tend to be really closed...even around my closest friends and family...it's something I'm working on...being more open...:sigh:

There isn't anything I'd say here that I wouldn't say to close friends and family members - that's just me. I'm pretty outgoing anyway so basically anything that comes out of my mouth doesn't shock those people close to me :D

im much more blunt, but that's about it. er, extremely blunt, actually, lol.
i might be mistaken, but i dont try to talk about my personal life too much. it's hard to know how you come across to others, but i dont intend to. there's things i obviously talk freely about with real friends and so on that i'd never mention on this forum. the audience is too mixed to get too open. it's a group of people you either know and like, dont know at all, or dont like um...at all. hardly the mixed bag worth divulging your genuine confidences to.

I definetly wouldn't say some stuff on here if I knew my mom or family members where reading.

I'm hiding a rather large secret from them that I'd perfer they not know at this point in time. But alot of Plebans know about it as well as a few other board members. People on here judge me much less then my own family would.

And becareful with online journals mine came back to bite me in the ass this week. I forgot that a friend had the link to it and happen to read something I wrote and without realizing it I spilled the beans so to speak. Luckily she was cool about it. :hug:

the truth can be your most powerful ally or you most dedicated enemy. The good thing is that you get to choose what side you want to be on.

Angela Harlem said:
im much more blunt, but that's about it. er, extremely blunt, actually, lol.
i might be mistaken, but i dont try to talk about my personal life too much. it's hard to know how you come across to others, but i dont intend to. there's things i obviously talk freely about with real friends and so on that i'd never mention on this forum. the audience is too mixed to get too open. it's a group of people you either know and like, dont know at all, or dont like um...at all. hardly the mixed bag worth divulging your genuine confidences to.

Yeah but whether you like them or hate them or care less about them you don't really know anybody on here anyways. Do You? I mean posting you personal stuff here is a good way to get HONEST feedback. Ya know?

Im actually a pretty shy person in life. Have a few selected friends that Im very close to. With my bf he is my very best friend so we share everything together :). But yeah I think sometimes I tend to be more open on here. Think it's because you aren't seeing the people face to face. So I find the courage to reveal more about myself than I would to someone I saw in real life.

Yes, but that's because I'm a bit of a loner anyway, was in high school, was for college, still am now.

I was very social and chatty in grade school I knew people since I was in kindergarten, but my parents sent me to another school after the 4th grade, to this new school. 5th grade, I was still kinda chatty and social, 6th grade went to another school, less social, when I got to the 8th grade, pretty much became an introvert and have kinda been that way ever since. I don't always articulate myself very well when speaking, but writing, typing, I can be more open because I can articulate myself much better.

However, after I started working retail 3 years ago, just having to make small talk with customers, I'm getting less shy but there's still a lot of shyness.

I can totally relate to Larry ye know. ;)

My siblings were really into Myspace, so they can't really make fun of me for being on U2 boards.

Nothing I post on message boards is fake or phony, but in real life, people wouldn't have a clue what's going on in my mind because I'm not very good at speaking it.

I'm a very outgoing, social person. My problem is I have always been surrounded by people who are totally not into what I'm into, including my family. I live in an area where the people have completely different interests. I'm beginning to see here that there are more people like me. I empathize with anyone who has no one to talk to or share their interests.

I think I'm a bit more open on here then in real life.

In real life, I'm either antisocial or talkative. Only my close friends would know me as a bit too talkative, but others would find me as 'that girl who doesn't talk to anyone but shuns the world out with her headphones'.

But on this forum, it's either you post or don't post. And when you interact with each other you don't see each other face to face or anything, which imo is cool. cause then you don't have to judge one another based off of looks, it's more of a honest and sincere interaction.

probably makes no sense but yeah.

irishdove said:
I'm a very outgoing, social person. My problem is I have always been surrounded by people who are totally not into what I'm into, including my family. I live in an area where the people have completely different interests. I'm beginning to see here that there are more people like me. I empathize with anyone who has no one to talk to or share their interests.

:)

I empathize with those people too.............. :|

That's one of my favorite things about interference. Ithelps people share interests, etc.....

I've never understood the people who lurk in forums and do not post there at all. Just read or whatever . I could never do that. :shrug:

I guess I'm "opinionated", but also, I'd feel..... I don't know, maybe it's a courtesy thing, like "hey, I read what you wrote". :shrug: :shrug:

:lol: I didn't even know there were lurkers until a couple of months of membership went past. I joined cos I had something to say about a certain topic, and didn't think anything of it. Then I heard stories of people lurking for like 3 years before posting -- Which probably isn't a bad thing, because then they'd know all the sections and stuff beforehand instead of screwing up a few times like I did. :reject:

Sorry to go of topic there.

I'm definately more open on the internet in general than I am in person. I tend to be the quiet one in groups, and a lot of the time I'd just rather be on my own. I take a long time to make close friends: I worry about hurting myself if I have to lose them (which seems to have happened alot in my life for various reasons), so to protect myself from getting hurt I think my mind just decides it'd be better if I had nobody too close to me.

Forums seem to be nice places for me to hang out because there's the aspect of anonymity that makes me more comfortable to be who I am.

And Interference is just a perfect place for me to be, because everybody here has at least one thing in common with me: so even if they were, I don't know, a Neo-Nazi who beats up women and likes cheese, we'd still have at least one thing we could talk about.

Meghan said:

I'm definately more open on the internet in general than I am in person. I tend to be the quiet one in groups, and a lot of the time I'd just rather be on my own. I take a long time to make close friends: I worry about hurting myself if I have to lose them (which seems to have happened alot in my life for various reasons), so to protect myself from getting hurt I think my mind just decides it'd be better if I had nobody too close to me.

I know what you mean.

Oh, and about the neonazi......... you both like cheese?
Or is something elese :ohmy:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom