Are there any U2 songs that you really DONT like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
I sometimes wonder about myself, because there are a few U2 songs, and I'm talking their big hits, that I"m really not all that crazy about. I dont know if it's just because I hear them so often, etc that makes them that way for me - but I actually have always been more of a fan of a lot of their stuff that isnt quite the mainstream, like the B-sides etc. Anyone else have songs that they feel this way about?

------------------
Holy Jesus, Holy rock and roll...

As to popular songs I don?t like - I never got into Pride, never liked the song. I don?t know why, it just gives me the creeps.

And so does SBS! Yeah,I confess: I don?t like SBS and Pride

As to other songs,.. er... Wild Honey, The Wanderer, TGBHF.

I think it?s ok that you don?t like all their songs. Just because you?re a fan doesn?t mean that you have to worship everything they do.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel, just the songs I dont really care for I know some people wouldnt get. Like you, I'm not crazy about Pride, SBS, even Streets. Not so much that I dont like them, more so that I could give or take them.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Holy Jesus, Holy rock and roll...

I'm not overly fond of I Will Follow. Or Wake up Dead Man. Or Mofo. Or EBTTRT (sometimes). Trip Thru your wires.

It doesn't mean that I don't like these songs at all. It just means I can't listen to them all the time--like One or One Tree Hill.

I'm not crazy about Playboy Mansion, Wild Honey and Indian Summer Sky. Oh, and Love Rescue me, except the end of the song when Bono shouts from his Soul. phew.

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

Yowza!

Em...

I dislike about half of Pop and ATYCLB.
I never got into Streets.
I actually don't listen to really old U2 because I haven't bought anything younger than War on CD yet.

------------------
I'm only asking, but I think you know.

"This is so bad it's gone way past good and back to bad again." - Enid, Ghost World.

I'm not all that crazy about Peace on Earth or If God Will Send His Angels, although both are starting to grow on me. I actually do like these songs, though. Just not as much as, say, Kite, Please, or One.

------------------
Feel like trash, you make me feel clean...

Drugs are garbage...just REFUSE.

mad.gif
Straight to hell with the lot of you!! Just kidding...
biggrin.gif

I have never been a huge fan of "Pride". It's always inspiring to hear it live at a gig, but I skip past it on the CD. What else? Alot from Zooropa. "Grace" I usually skip past and up until the fall "Peace On Earth".
"When Love Comes To Town" is too close to good ole time rock'n'roll for me. Not a huge fan.

Gospel version of ISHFWILF, Peace on Earth (the lyric is okay, but it's slightly boring) Playboy Mansion, Babyface...I mean, I like that one, but I usually skip past it

------------------
"I think that Edge is the head of the band, I'm the heart, and Adam and Larry are the feet." - Bono, 1981

u2er@u2email.com

Originally posted by Angel:
I have never been a huge fan of "Pride". It's always inspiring to hear it live at a gig, but I skip past it on the CD.

really? i think the studio version is muuuch better than the live one.

roll out the usual suspects...

Originally posted by brettig:
really? i think the studio version is muuuch better than the live one.

Ditto for me, at least for listening but then for a first timer like me it was so wonderful to hear it in concert.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

When Love comes to town- I just can't stand it.
Unforgettable Fire-it's taken a year for me to like the song.

oh yes i forgot: i loathe atyclb. i've listened to it three times since i bought it in november 2000. i don't like it at all.
icon25.gif

------------------
you bury your treasure where it can't be found, but your love is like a secret that's been passed around...
ME!
kayte.gif

[This message has been edited by KhanadaRhodes (edited 02-06-2002).]

After much time and exposure, I still do not get either Peace on Earth or When I Look At The World. The former in particular seems like a noble idea ruined by the band's apparent belief that a vaguely pleasant acoustic strum-along would do the job. It doesn't.

I also have a problem with Last Night On Earth. It just does not work - the song feels like a jet airliner lumbering along the runway, making a lot of noise, but failing to achieve lift-off. The comparison between this song and some of the Beatles' work (yes, this comparison has been made - by Bono) escapes me, frankly.

And, er, yes: Sunday Bloody Sunday is not a favourite of mine either. In its day it was frighteningly good, but it is so specific to a particular time and place that I cannot listen to it now.

I also don't like 40 very much. Outside of a live setting, it seems almost non-existent. Maybe I just don't like songs that are admired mainly because of their symbolic value. However, I did once hear a great live version from Lovetown where Bono went absolutely skyward with his hallelujahs and so on.

Oh yeah, bunches...

Numb (except in the context of the funny video), The Wanderer, Tryin to Throw Your Arms, Discotheque, Mofo, Playboy Mansion, gospel version of Still Haven't Found, Love Rescue Me...

Except for the people who think you have to like EVERYTHING by U2 or you're not a "true fan," this is perfectly normal.

But I think I like almost all their big hits.

------------------

-ACROB@T

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 02-06-2002).]

i really don't like the wanderer. i'm also not a big fan of wowy, one, or bad...

------------------
another lonely night ahead for me now buried in the darkening day, that lingers on and drags me down...
ME!

I can't think of any songs that I really dislike, but there are some that I will skip over. "Grace" is one that I skip a lot...but sometimes I'm in a perfect mood to listen to it. It's just one of those things.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
maybe i'm a mindless sycophant. I have yet to meet a U2 song that I dislike.

I'm that way about Sting. I don't THINK I'm a mindless sycophant, but you never know.

------------------

-ACROB@T

I'm with sula, I don't dislike any of their songs
I do have a few least favourites though:
- Is that all?
- Ultra Violet
- Even Better ...
- half of POP

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

The Unforgettable Fire
Heartland
A Sort of Homecoming
Miami
New York

I don't hate them, I just can't get into those!

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution:
The Unforgettable Fire
Heartland
A Sort of Homecoming
Miami
New York

frown.gif
You've got four of my favourites there, excluding Miami...

but to each their own...I know some would say the same about my least favourites.

------------------

-ACROB@T

Playboy Mansion. What the hell is that??

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

For me, it's The Wanderer. I can laugh about it, but I don't like it. And I never got into So Cruel, WGRYWH and New York.

------------------
Take the money and run

Not really, only one. Helter Skelter. No. It's just bad. It's not for them to sing. I've never even listened to it all the way through.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Oh yea, the wanderer, that too. And sometimes I can't take Wake Up Dead Man either.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Back
Top Bottom