Any spare prayers/positive thoughts? Send them our way please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the best to you&as has been said before, everyone should have an equal chance to get support for any problems they are having! :hug: :hug:

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

I understand very well what immunodeficiency is, and how devastating even a minor infection can be to a person who is a SCID or HIV+ or what have you. But there is also always hope and many times a sudden turnaround in fortunes and I sincerely hope there is one for him too.

anitram said:
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

I understand very well what immunodeficiency is, and how devastating even a minor infection can be to a person who is a SCID or HIV+ or what have you. But there is also always hope and many times a sudden turnaround in fortunes and I sincerely hope there is one for him too.

What he has actually been diagnosed with is an intestinal parasite, cryptosporidium. Do you know anything about it?

I know it causes some very unpleasant intestinal problems, which is what causes HIV+ patients to essentially waste away...any small bit of additional info you might have would be a great help.

We were told that he was going to start a drug that was just approved by the FDA so there is always hope for that turnaround. He's made it over 15 years with HIV which is pretty remarkable in itself.

Bono's American Wife said:

What he has actually been diagnosed with is an intestinal parasite, cryptosporidium. Do you know anything about it?

I know it causes some very unpleasant intestinal problems, which is what causes HIV+ patients to essentially waste away...any small bit of additional info you might have would be a great help.

We were told that he was going to start a drug that was just approved by the FDA so there is always hope for that turnaround. He's made it over 15 years with HIV which is pretty remarkable in itself.

My assumption based on the degree of seriousness of the infection is that his CD4 count must be very, very low. Definitely less than 100, maybe even less than 50, which means that he's essentially got uncontrollable, persistent symptoms so long as his CD4 count is this severely suppressed. He's on a HAART cocktail, right? They need to reconstitute his immune system first, find the right cocktail to do it (not sure what he's on, indinavir, ritonavir, alfinavir, etc). Without a CD4 reconstitution, treatment is really difficult.

I think the most success in non-immunocompromised patients has been had with nitazoxanide (the macrolide antibiotics were kind of iffy, no surprise), except the drug is really at best, mediocre with HIV+ patients unless they're given higher doses and secondary or tertiary treatments with it and even so, you still don't get sufficient clearance. With your friend, they need his CD4 count to go up first, stabilization of that cell count in the intestine is what he needs primarily (not so much an absolute CD4 count in the rest of his body).

Let me know if I've been too technical here.

:hug:

Oh no! Char, Rick & Doozer, I am just reading this now. I really need to get beyond the journals. I am so sorry to hear about your friend and I am thinking about all of you and hoping that things will turn around. :hug:

This is our friend Shawn..he's more of a nephew to all of us...he needs your prayers...please don't let him down. Thank you.

27094shawn-med.JPG

Mr. BAW said:
This is our friend Shawn..he's more of a nephew to all of us...he needs your prayers...please don't let him down. Thank you.

27094shawn-med.JPG

This man is probably one of the sweetest, funniest, warm and kind person I have ever met. Thanks for your prayers, its nice to see that there are so many good people around here.

Continuing to send out positive thoughts. You know I think I remember reading about a study which showed that people who have others praying (or doing the good thoughts thing) for them actually do better than those that don't.

Back
Top Bottom