Anxiety Attacks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TranceEnding

Refugee
Hi All :wave:

I'm just looking for some advice :) Has anyone here ever experienced panic/anxiety attacks before??

I have had a couple of episodes in the last two days that were so incredibly frightening, I don't think I'm ever going to want to leave the house again! :wink: Both times I was just overcome with an initial wave of panic, feeling very faint and woozy and then my heart beginning to pound furiously.

Both times it's taken the best part of the day to finally feel 'normal' and calm again .. just left feeling really tired and dazed. I visited my doctor this morning (when it happened again) and she seems to think that it could be a panic attack (but sent me for a blood test to rule anything else out).

Hope it's ok to post here ... just looking for some reassurance I guess :)

Here's some reassurance - panic/anxiety attacks are quite common, and although they feel very, very scary, they're not dangerous at all, and are one of the most easily treated disorders.

Read this over, there is some great information here:

http://www.apa.org/topics/anxietyqanda.html

I take it your doctor didn't discuss it with you much? Assuming the blood work comes back fine, you need to pursue this with her. Make another appointment to talk to her, and see what she recommends regarding treatment options.

Good luck. :)

:hug:

I used to get panic attacks. By the time I had gone to the doctor I was so wound/worried up I was having them almost every day. He gave me lots of advice about how to relax but just getting some reassurance that it wasn't anything serious helped me feel much better.

It doesn't happen so much anymore and if I feel like I'm getting too stressed about something I know how to calm myself down.

Hope you'll be able to get the help/reassurance you need :)

The most important things I learned in dealing with this are there's nothing wrong with me when this happens (because beating myself up about it and fretting over how weak I am only makes it worse), that I'm not the only person this happens to and that this feeling, no matter how horrible, won't kill me.

You'll find different tricks and tools for dealing with this but I think realizing you will get over it, that those feelings will pass is the most powerful and reassuring.

Good luck!!!

:hug:

Many, many times. I had them for years and even still have them on occasion. One of the best tricks is to go for a long walk or do something that involves movement rather than trying to "relax", which hardly ever works, at least for me.

Like VP said, they're not deadly, but they feel that way sometimes. Just try not to worry about having them and you'll have them less. :hug:

The best thing you can do is rate the attack from 1 to 10 in your head when you´re having it and just repeat the number or lower or add to its rating depending on how bad it is until it gets to 1.

This works because anxiety attacks are not rational. They are emotional. So when you rate the attack with your brain it kicks in the rational part of your brain and cancels out the emotional side which triggers the anxiety attack to begin with.

Give it a shot. Good luck. :hug:

I've had anxiety attacks for years, but 99% of them have come when I'm on planes.

I've discussed this with my doctor many times over the years, and when I fly I take medication to help calm my nerves, which has been so helpful. Lately she's been working with me to slowly wean me off of them, so that one day I'll hopefully be able to fly without the medication.

Everyone has already given great advice, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already.

Something I do to help calm me down when I'm having an attack is trying to concentrate on my breathing. I pay close attention to the breaths going in and out, and focus just on that - nothing else. I also visualise myself in a positive place, and that has helped to calm me down. That might be something worth trying.

My anxiety attacks are not as severe as they used to be, so with time, medication, and talking with a doctor, I've been able to reduce them.

Good luck! :hug:

i have them on occasion, usually in the middle of the night. i do the breathing, and think about some good memories or something that makes me happy.

everyone else has given good advice:up:

It's crowds for me.
I still have to learn how to deal other than drinking.
So now that I don't drink anywhere near the level I did, I just can't/don't do crowds.
I hope you can find help.

I've had a few of them during two different periods in my life. First when I was making the transition from college to the working world, and second, when my daughter was a baby. The second period of them, I was hardly sleeping, too busy to eat properly, etc. But as just about any article says, it's not the attacks that are the problem as a rule, it's the fear of having another one, which makes you avoid situations, and can become quite debilitating. I used to fear and try to avoid situations where I was in an enclosed space with no ready escape available. What helped me turn the corner was, I had taken my daughter for a check-up and was seated in this tiny examining room. I couldn't get up and run, because the doctor would think I was insane. So, we were in the midst of the appointment, and I felt the feeling come on. Naturally, the first reaction is to tense and panic, but then the thought popped into my mind: "hey, you're in your doctor's office, if something is going to happen to you, this would be the place to have it happen, where you have help sitting right next to you." And the funny thing is, as soon as I thought that, the feeling went away before it had peaked. It was really cool, and showed me that the cycle of fear is the thing that makes it worse. As soon as I realized it was okay because my doctor was sitting next to me, it stopped. I had a few more after that before they went away, but their impact on me in causing fear was greatly diminished, and they went away.

In the years since then, I've gone back to school and majored in Clinical Psych, so I've learned a great deal more about the mechanisms of panic attacks, the physical, cognitive and emotional features of them, and I soon found out that what happened to me in the doctor's office is actually something that therapists use to treat panic attacks. If you can relax when they start, and just ride out the physical sensations while realizing that 1) they won't physically hurt you, and 2) they won't last that long, very often, they just go away.

I've had very few of them since (but literally years and years go by without any), and they generally happen at times when I've been super busy and stressed, not getting enough sleep, and not eating right. It passes after a few seconds, and because I don't really worry about it, it just goes away.

Last edited:
Is it possible to have 'mild' panic attacks?
There are times when my 'SIL' stresses me out so bad that my heart just doesnt stop racing, my hands get sweaty, I clench up and even if I try to walk around, walk it off I'm just seriously stressed and the only thing that calms me down is vodka :| But it doesnt sound as bad as what I've read here so not sure if its classified as an anxiety attack.

Sicy said:
Is it possible to have 'mild' panic attacks?
There are times when my 'SIL' stresses me out so bad that my heart just doesnt stop racing, my hands get sweaty, I clench up and even if I try to walk around, walk it off I'm just seriously stressed and the only thing that calms me down is vodka :| But it doesnt sound as bad as what I've read here so not sure if its classified as an anxiety attack.

I'm not officially trained to diagnose :uhoh: but it doesn't sound like it to me, it just sounds like she stresses you and makes you feel really anxious.

Here's the official criteria:

http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/DSMpanic.htm

For any of you who might read this and be tempted to self-diagnose, it`s really best to seek the opinion of a professional. :up:

For the record, the "walking it off" thing worst best for anxiety attacks that don't originate in your head over an issue you have to deal with like in Sicy's case. :wink: With those, I suggest talking it over with somebody who can help make things easier for you or are just generally calming to you. :up:

I am so glad someone posted about this. Last October I was at the gym working out when I had one. The class instructor wanted to call an ambulance but I just acted like everything was fine. I remember looking in the mirror and I was completely grey. I did go to the emergency room on the way home and they tested my heart and thyroid and found nothing wrong. My heart rate was 140 and my blood pressure was 220/90 or something like that.

Anyway, I have been having problems with panic attacks for the past 6 months. Currently, I can't drive and I stopped going to the gym. My husband drives me to work everyday. But I've noticed that I've been getting alot better now that the winter is over. I don't even drink coffee anymore and I was a coffee addict.

Currently I drink a green tea every morning and do a little yoga. I think if you bring your general anxiety level down - you'll start to feel better. Every morning when I wake up for the past 6 months I've had terrible tightness in my chest- but this has started to disappear and I haven't had an attack for several weeks now. I also switched to an almost vegetarian diet.

I've been embarrased by this, but my husband told one of his clients about me and it turns out he has been a sufferer since 1994. I think there are alot of us out there.:hug:

The hardest part is that my husband does not understand how frightening it is. You literally think you are dying and having a heart attack - no matter what you tell your mind. Currently, I'm trying to treat this on my own with yoga and diet and it's getting better.

I've had anxiety attacks before, especially right before I moved from Pennsylvania to Florida for grad school. I also usually have them when I fly. They're awful. Whenever I have them, I keep telling myself to calm down, but that doesn't usually help. I sometimes go through phases when I'll have them for no clear reason, then they'll stop on their own.

For awhile now I've wondered if I have some sort of anxiety disorder, because I worry and stress out about things so much sometimes. Usually I can calm down if I really work at putting things in perspective, but that's tough for me. It's something I've been working especially hard at lately. I also find that I stay more clear-headed when I eat right and get enough exercise and sleep.

I hope everything works out for you, Trance :hug:

Trance, good luck indeed! these panic attacks are very very scary. the article that VintagePunk posted has some good basic info for understanding.

i've never had a panic attack until i 1997ish when i was stuck in my car in traffic, in a nor easter, with road closure and floods. i had this little sports car and well, after being still for over 2 hours, i started with the chest pains and the stiffness. that was nothing compared to the attacks i've had since then. to this day though i clench up and begin to shake in stopped traffic. At that point, i take deep breaths in and deep breaths out and tell myself to calm down, that i can get through it.

other than traffic times, they happen out of the blue. i once woke up from a sound sleep feeling like something was going on. my body was tense, my jaw was clenched and i couldn't stop trembling. it lasted about 20 minutes but felt more like an hour. I must have had a serious dream!!

another time it happened at a bar. was watching a U2 tribute band in NYC and out of no where, in the middle of me cheering and singing, i started with the rapid heart beat, the sweating, the wobbly legs and my jaw began to clench. i KNEW i needed to get out of there and get out of there fast for some air and some space.

i need something to focus on when i get like that. and as someone said above...i needed to walk it off even though i didn't feel stable enough to walk. both times i was lucky in that i had someone there with me, but their presence is all i could have handled for comfort. i did not want them to touch me, i did not want them to get me a drink or food or ask me questions like if i'm alright. i just needed them to be my focus and i needed to try to regulate my breathing.

good luck at understanding your attacks and learning to control them or prevent them in the future :hug:

rushu2 said:
I am so glad someone posted about this. Last October I was at the gym working out when I had one. The class instructor wanted to call an ambulance but I just acted like everything was fine. I remember looking in the mirror and I was completely grey. I did go to the emergency room on the way home and they tested my heart and thyroid and found nothing wrong. My heart rate was 140 and my blood pressure was 220/90 or something like that.

Anyway, I have been having problems with panic attacks for the past 6 months. Currently, I can't drive and I stopped going to the gym. My husband drives me to work everyday. But I've noticed that I've been getting alot better now that the winter is over. I don't even drink coffee anymore and I was a coffee addict.

Currently I drink a green tea every morning and do a little yoga. I think if you bring your general anxiety level down - you'll start to feel better. Every morning when I wake up for the past 6 months I've had terrible tightness in my chest- but this has started to disappear and I haven't had an attack for several weeks now. I also switched to an almost vegetarian diet.

I've been embarrased by this, but my husband told one of his clients about me and it turns out he has been a sufferer since 1994. I think there are alot of us out there.:hug:

The hardest part is that my husband does not understand how frightening it is. You literally think you are dying and having a heart attack - no matter what you tell your mind. Currently, I'm trying to treat this on my own with yoga and diet and it's getting better.

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I get freaked out while driving. I get the tightness, and the fear that's just completely relentless. It's good to know I'm not alone.:hug: Btw, what was their reason for checking your thyroid? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

Thank you very much for providing this link VintagePunk .. I think I can relate to every symptom listed there. I've been looking around for information on the net, but this is probably the most helpful so far :)

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded so far :hug: I appreciate it so much and it has made me feel better reading through everyone's stories .. though, at the same time, it makes me sad that nice folks here have been through similar experiences :(

I feel alot better today .. the only thing that's bothering me is a huge headache, probably due to tiredness and because I haven't had any coffee for almost 3 days :wink:

I can really relate to rushu2's post (I really hope everything is ok with you, too! :hug: ) I've just been trying to think where all of this has come from, because I haven't really experienced anything really upsetting or traumatic. I have a feeling that perhaps it's just a build up of general worries and stresses over a long period of time that I haven't really dealt with properly ... and probably the fact that I have been neglecting my general health and wellbeing for months now. I'm just going to try to be positive about this and perhaps it's just a huge wake up call for me to get back on the health wagon .. eating healthily and heading back to the gym and yoga class.

My doctor suggested exactly the same thing for me this morning and has been really good. My blood tests came back all fine and normal. Oh, the thryoid test was to check for hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) which is a condition that produces similar symptoms.

Thankyou so much everyone, and I really do wish the best for you guys also :hug:

I remember I had one in the middle of the night a few years ago... I'd been watching the OC and Julie's father died of a heart attack... and then I started worrying about having one and it was a horrible experience.

i was having panick attacks last year, the dentist, crowds, lifts set me off big time, and unfamiliar places or driving somewhere i havent been is a real biatch

wearing my sunglasses and mp3 player is a huge help , and i was taught some deep breathing exercises,

cut out caffiene is useful and regular physical activity is a bonus, but for the dentist and flying i have to take a clamative as well as have the music. valium or xanax are brilliant but very very hard to get. you can get a codiene with a calmative over the counter form the chemist.

for crowds i will always choose to be on he perimiter of a room closest to the outside or exit, or say if i was in a lecture theatre or classroom i will choose the back corner with no one behind me I HATE people behind me

so they are a few of my strategies but avoidance is the best ! which sux for the holes in my teeth .

good luck dont let it beat you :hug:

thanks Jen :hug: The strangest thing is that you mentioned two things that generally terrify me ... the dentist, and flying! It's weird, because those two things have been on my mind the last couple of days for some reason!

I've jokingly thought that I'll probably have to be anaesthetized to do either at this point in time :wink:

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:

What kind of hospital thinks there's nothing wrong when your BP is that high???

A lousy one. My blood pressure came down though after I found out that I wasn't having a heart attack.

Transending- Last night I had a talk with my husband's customer who has been suffereing from anxiety disorder for years and basically what you have said about just an accumulation of stress over the years is about right. I wasn't under any particular stress either, but how he explained it to me is that you start out at about a 5 for a stress level and then you get used to a stress level of 6, then 7 etc as the norm. Your body just can't handle that and the attacks start. He also suggested Biofeedback as a very useful tool as well as massage therapy, hypnosis and deep abdominal breathing.

Someone was wondering about the thyroid test and yep, its to check if you have hyperthyroidism.

I'm actually getting a little better with each passing day!

I saw this quote from Madonna and thought it fit in here. When I'm going through this, it definitely helps to know that other people are in the same boat and that it's not the end of the world.

“I have moments where I feel incredibly invincible and know that I have the audience in my hand — I know that everything is absolutely perfect. And then I have panic attacks where I feel like everyone is breathing my air and I cannot live up to everybody’s expectations and I might just die on stage. I normally try to turn my back to the audience, take a deep breath and remind myself that it’s all temporary. I’m not worried about fucking up — I really have a panic attack that everyone else is breathing my air. It’s hard to describe. When you have panic attacks you cannot rationalise them. Obviously there’s enough oxygen for me but it never happens outdoors, it’s normally in indoor sports arenas that feel very close when suddenly I feel claustrophobic. It’s not a fear of performing."

Back
Top Bottom