Another relationship is now over.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Colleen and I started seeing each other last summer. She and I had been working together at the Writing Center at school, and had had a Shakespeare class together. We're both a bit geeky, so there was always a lot to talk about, and we had a generally good time. Alas, the fall came and she went to do her semester abroad in Japan.

We stayed in touch. I was doing my thing here with school, had a great semester, and heard from her often. She was having fun in Japan, learning a lot about herself in the process. When she returned, everything seemed to be okay.

We spent a lot of time together in the first week, going to a movie, hanging around my dorm, but then ultimately we ended up at her house in the middle of the morning. Her roomates were drunk and dancing, and she tried to get me to dance a bit. I couldn't really handle it, so I left soon. And thus my neurosis revealed itself.

I try too hard. I get worried that every little thing I do has some sort of greater implication and will by scrutinized endlessly by other parties. I thought that my reaction at the party was going to totally change her perspective of me, which was just stupid. We decided not to crowd each other so much, but that just made me more affectionate when we were together.

I always do little things, random candy, cards, etc. Colleen had never really been in a real relationship before, and was very hesitant about commitment. So I was always worried that the things I did would freak her out, even though there were genuine, sweet, and thoughtful. She never let on that they did, even though she rarely returned any of the sweetness.

Then after she'd been back a month, I dropped the bomb. I told her that I loved her, and she freaked out. Understandably. The weekend was long after that, but by the end of it, she and I had decided that things would be fine. I loved her, she was cool with that--it would just take her longer to come around, she said. The following week or so was much more affectionate on her part than had been in the past, but that soon gave way to the same sort of indifferent behavior that had become our trademark.

We went out for Valentine's Day, and I went all out. She said the letter I wrote her made her cry, but in a good way. She baked me cookies, and all was good. She bought me a little cake for my birthday, came over and spent the afternoon. All was good.

Then Spring break happened. She barely returned my emails, we didn't talk on the phone, and when we got back, I knew something was bothering her. When I asked her what, she told me it was nothing. This happened again. And again. And again for quite a while. I hoped she'd eventually open up, or that it really was nothing. It was something, but that will come up later

By April, we'd worked together on several theatre programs, and started spending a lot more time together. She finally seemed to be opening up. Though I was still the initiator in a lot of ways, she had begun asking me to do things with her more often, and I felt really appreciated. Our physical relationship reached a peak... and that was last weekend.

Now we come to this weekend. Friday night was the May Day dance. It was a last minute idea, I didn't realize it was there until a week beforehand. She and I went out to dinner, and that was great, the dance was fine for an hour (she did tell me that I'm a really bad dancer, but I knew that). Then she started getting sort of weird. She said it was just boredom, but I don't do well in crowds, and when her attention shifted, I panicked. I asked her if she wanted to come back to my room for a bit, and she wanted to go back to the house with the girls. I'm in the full throes of my social anxiety, and get a little disappointed. I don't tell her htis, I just nod. On the way out, she takes me aside and asks what's wrong. I lose it. I start crying.

We sat for about an hour, me talking about how I don't do well with dances, and how so many things were worrying me about life, and how happy she had made me. Then I started asking her about her feelings. We'd been seeing each other for 9 months, and she still wasn't comfortable with discussing her feelings. We walked home in the rain, she kissed me goodnight, and said not to worry. I freaked out after I got back and wrote her an email apologizing. We didn't talk the next day except for a few minutes on AIM, which seemed to clear up the ordeal. It was bad, but I didn't think it would be the end of our relationship.

Turns out there was some drama over in the international house, and she had to deal with that along with my stuff. Today at the school carnival, I sat by myself eating so as not to put any immediate pressure on her. I was at this point convinced that things were okay. She sees me, waves, then gets up and stands where I can't see her face. She's leaning with her head on her sister's shoulder, crying. Eventually everyone else leaves, and I head over to see how she is.

"Not to be rude, but I can't talk to you until you talk to someone else."

So she said she'd be over around 9:30, and that it had to be face-to-face. I knew that this was it. I was hoping it would just be a break, because I knew space would be good for us. The first words out of her mouth were, "I can't do this anymore."

Basically, the relationship had been rather one-sided all along, and she was feeling really unsure about things for some time. One, of course, was that I was too affectionate. Which was true. I suggested that I could work on it, and she said it would be unfair to both of us. The other reason was that her heart belonged to someone else. A friend back home. That hurt. I asked how long, and she said it'd been a while. I made the connections to the awkward return from Spring Break, and asked her if that had been the problem all along. She said yes. She was afraid to tell me because it always seemed to happen when I was really down. That kind of bugged me, because she told me that she wouldn't let either of the things that had ruined my past relationships happened; 1) letting things go on longer than is healthy, unsure of what to do. Sparing my feelings early on leads to long long long periods of difficulty later. and 2)fear of emotion. I wanted to help her through that.

Ultimately, she's said she's not even sure if we can be friends. She said we were growing together physically, but not emotionally. I want to be a part of her life down the road, even if I can't be with her (she said this was pretty much a no overall). She couldn't return my feelings or be what I needed her to be. And I accept that. It's just a lot to deal with. Everyone saw it coming as far back as january, myself included. I tried to make it work, I tried very hard. But I should have accepted it when she showed no interest in my interests. I should have accepted it when she didn't respond to my attempts at affection. I should have accepted it when after months and months together she still couldn't begin to discuss emotions.

I think I'm done crying. I was done before she came in tonight. This was, by no means, the best relationship I've been in. But it was the longest. And I've never loved anyone else so much or wanted something to work so bad. I won't lie to myself next time, and I hope the next girl is more honest with me, too.

i can feel your hurt. but know that you will gain life experience from this and it will build you inot the person you will become. i wouldn't say that you did any wrong. don't change who you are for a girl. find a girl who loves you for the way you are. you will do find friend. i know you feel hurt, but know that you will be okay.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I think any relationship, even one that isn't working, is hard to end -- for everyone.

I can't give you advice as I'm no good at relationships myself. But I am sorry you're hurting now, and hope you are able to heal and find happiness.

I'm not really hurt at this point. Okay, I'm hurt, but I'm not depressed. I'm having to try to put the changes I've made into a new context, because some of them are for the better. I do wonder what things would have been like had she not gone to Japan, but such thoughts are better left alone.

sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. don't beat yourself up for trying, and don't torture yourself with thoughts of 'what if...?' listen to the voice in the back of your mind that was telling you that things hadn't been right for awhile now--it's not anyone's fault that this didn't work out. and ultimately, it is for the best, even though it hurts right now.

most important of all--don't let this change who you are. you sound like many girls' dream come true: you're ready and eager to fall in love, to be open with your feelings, and you're not afraid to treat your girl like gold. that's incredibly rare.

what dandy said..

You seem very self-aware for a guy your age, and that's great! Just take some time to evaluate things, to let your heart heal, and to just be yourself. And don't put pressure on yourself to get into a new relationship, that will come in due time.

I think ideally you shouldn't change yourself for anyone else, only if whatever it is bothers you to such an extent that it's too painful to deal with. When you get older it gets easier to expect to be accepted "warts and all" . Good luck :hug:

dandy said:

most important of all--don't let this change who you are. you sound like many girls' dream come true: you're ready and eager to fall in love, to be open with your feelings, and you're not afraid to treat your girl like gold. that's incredibly rare.

:up:

:hug:

This kind of thing is always painful, but you seem like a very nice guy. Some young lady is going to be very lucky to meet you someday. You cared for Colleen the best way you knew how, and that's all anyone can ask.

UL, I'm so sorry to hear it didn't work out with Colleen... it's obvious she's meant a lot to you over the past year.

I have a friend who's dealing with a similar situation now & I don't know if it'll help or not, but this is what I told him:
You hurt right now; that's normal and to be expected. But don't waste your time & energy wishing things hadn't ended up this way. Why? Because everything - good AND bad - happens for a reason. And that reason is so that you can become the person you're supposed be. It may take 5 days, 5 weeks, or maybe even 5 years but you'll look back at these events & understand that they unfolded just like they needed to.
The hard part is to stay focused on that while you deal with the pain you feel right now. And to believe this will make you a better person - because you WILL get through and you WILL grow stronger and you WILL find the person who deserves all the wonderful things you have to offer. :heart: :up:

Best of luck to you!! :hug:

:hug: Im sorry you had to go through that. I can honestly sympathise. I was in a relationship for over 2 and a half years and I worked so hard to make it work. I was miserable all the time but I still fought to make it work.
Then one day a guy who was perfect for me walked into my life and changed everything.
You need somebody who you dont have to try so hard to make happy. It should just be natural :yes:
And its wonderful that youre an affectionate person!!!!

pax said:

:up:

:hug:

This kind of thing is always painful, but you seem like a very nice guy. Some young lady is going to be very lucky to meet you someday. You cared for Colleen the best way you knew how, and that's all anyone can ask.

I went home for the afternoon today. Played with my sister a bit, bummed some cash off of my grandparents. It was really nice. I'm trying hard, so so so hard not to dwell on this, but I can't even look at the walls in this room without thinking of her. And because I'm an RA, and I'm on duty, I can't really go anywhere. I feel so fucking alone right now. Having a single room is great when you have someone to come over. But now it just feels empty and alone. *sigh*

Hey. It's alright

This is how it goes. This is exactly how it goes, so don't feel like you've done anything wrong :)

I'm serious.

You were just being yourself, and nothing is wrong with that.
It just didn't work out this time.

When you are ready to move on
(AS IN, when your emotions have calmed, and you seek someone out of desire, not pain or fear or hurt from the previous relationship)

just make sure you find someone who appreciates your touch and tenderness. Your care.

Reciprocation and understanding are so important!

And just make sure you expose your good qualities to people who willl appreciate them

and not exploit them! :)

For Honor said:
Hey. It's alright

This is how it goes. This is exactly how it goes, so don't feel like you've done anything wrong :)

I'm serious.

You were just being yourself, and nothing is wrong with that.
It just didn't work out this time.

When you are ready to move on
(AS IN, when your emotions have calmed, and you seek someone out of desire, not pain or fear or hurt from the previous relationship)

just make sure you find someone who appreciates your touch and tenderness. Your care.

Reciprocation and understanding are so important!

And just make sure you expose your good qualities to people who willl appreciate them

and not exploit them! :)

That's one of the difficult things about finding someone who appreciates the caring... it's not something that you really show on the first few dates. And by the time it comes out, and the other person isn't really responding to it or appreciating it, the impetus for the caring keeps me from getting out. I don't make decisions like that well. I always tend to think there must be a way.

Hey, I'm not saying that I have any answers, but I understand exactly what you mean. Not only from my wonderful dad, but also my own expereinces

It is very imperitive, and difficult, to find someone who can deal well with caring or kindness or tenderness, etc.

FOr some reason, I've seen people like this find the absolute worst people for it. ANd I don't like that. So I guess, just don't be afraid to really be specific about the person you want to be with, and make sure they know how deal with your personality.

Don't get the illusion taht you'll find away to deal with their personality.

In at least some way, everyone needs to put themselves "first", but sometimes you have to see it like "This person better be able to withstand my caring, concern, tenderness, whatever".

not like
"oh, I hope they can put up with my emotional needs or way of being"

It's perspective and what not

I tend to think that relationships can sense things like feelings of "inadequacy" or "depression," and, more often than not, these relationships fall apart. I do sense both of those when I read what you've written, and I've been on both sides of the coin.

On one hand, my first substantial relationship was in the middle of the worst bout of anxiety/depression that I ever had. I wanted all the emotional support. My b/f broke up with me the morning before I went to therapy for the first time.

Fast forward about three months later and my ex (whom I was still very good friends with) then became the super depressed one. I had so much progress with my treatment that I realized how annoying it was to be around depressed people. I'm still the same way.

Anyway, my point was to say that there's a saying that before you can love others, you have to love yourself. And it sucks to be single again, but you can't let it consume you. You need to be comfortable in your own skin and exude confidence. That's what potential lovers are really attracted to.

Anyhow, look at this for a chance for personal growth, and I wish you luck. :)

Melon

Well said Melon

I think that is a good saying - You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else...

See... that's what's so strange. I'd been single for a few years before Col and i started dating. I was comfortabel with myself. I think I had too much time to build things up in my mind while she was away in Japan, though. I turned the relationship into something bigger in my head, even though it was foolish. And then when it didn't meet my expectations, I didn't know how to cope. So I threw myself in too deeply trying to make it that way. I do still feel comfortable with myself, and I realize now that by acting the way I did, I was not the same person she was falling for last summer, even though I was trying to please her.

Yeah, and not to get astrologial or whatever, but my dad always does that

It's like a perverse form of rationalization and forgivness, but he like forgives someone something before it happens, I don't know. And the weird thing is, it's actually a form of being greedy, because he wants the relationship to be a certain way, and when it isn't, he makes excuses for the other person, or something like that. And the line between rationlization and reasoning gets so blurred that it becomes hopless to distinguish.
It's okay to slip into fantasy, but you have to stay grounded.

And even though it's good to please other people
Don;t forget that other people should work to please you, too.

You remind me alot of myself in regards to the way you treat your partner, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I've been going out with my girlfriend Sarah for a year now, and we've always fit together really well in this area. She has recognized and loves my heavily affectionate and romantic (sometimes cheesy) side very much, and even though she's not the same way by nature, she definitely knows how to make me feel perfect in her own way.

My point is that there are women who love extremely cheesy, affectionate, caring guys out there. Do not change this side of you at all, just wait for the right women.

It is very hard to know how women will react to this until you move along in the relationship, I concur. I've had the Colleen-type experience before. But you just have to give it alot of time and keep an open mind. It's coming... and it's worth the wait!
:yes:

Back
Top Bottom