anaemia sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
ugh. my mom's having some health issues. i'm not exactly sure what since i'm not there to go to the doctor with her or anything, but something's majorly messed up with her iron. she was diagnosed with anaemia and she was doing fine for a while. but this past year she's just been totally worn out. of course this all seemingly coincided with me leaving!

she was at her regular doctor a month or so and told her, and i guess they did a blood test and her iron was dangerously low. like, if it hadn't been my mom and she hadn't been going there as long as we have (like 15 years?) she would've been put in the hospital. they've run all sorts of tests to rule out things like cancer and thankfully it's nothing like that. but of course it's even more frustrating as you rule things out because it's still not finding the problem. she had an iron transfusion a couple weeks ago and she didn't notice any change at first but started to feel better. now she's bottomed out again and is exhausted all the time. she'll sleep 10-12 hours a day and still nodding off during the day, i mean i sleep a lot but i'm not that bad! :giggle:

anyway, i'm not really sure why i'm posting this but i guess i just felt the need to get it off my chest. maybe too on the off chance anyone's known anyone with this problem and can offer any advice. i dunno. so, yeah.

I have iron-deficency anemia issues when I'm having that time of the month, and it completely knocks me out for the most part. It seems to be getting better as of late but at the worst of it, I'd be tired all of the time, and fall asleep at random moments. I went to Edgefest once feeling like that and I fell asleep during Papa Roach's set (I'm sure the music didn't help :rimshot: ).

The big thing that helps, far as I could tell, was taking iron pills. I was really bad about remembering to take them myself, but when I'd remember, I wouldn't have as much trouble.

As far as I know, she should definitely avoid aspirin and probably tea as well, I think that's why I was told not to drink tea at any rate.

Sorry to hear about your mom. :hug: At least its' not cancer.

Tea is bad for people with low iron? :uhoh: Damn. I drink loads of tea.
I was advised a lot of red meat and dark green vegetables(Spinach, brocoli etc). They contain lots of iron. Seems to work though sometimes I still fall asleep like woah.

My dad has anaemia. I dont know much about how he feels because he never talks about it but I know he takes an iron supplement daily. He seems to get tired a lot and just sits in his chair all day. :sigh:
I wish he would get more exercise. Him and my mom are the same age and she's like a fireball compared to him, but she's also a lot more active daily and I think that's a big reason she's healthier.

you aren't anaemic until you pass out twice in one morning and have a month long migraine.

although, hmm.
:( plus the two times i've been with you, not good! :hug:

My dad has anaemia. I dont know much about how he feels because he never talks about it but I know he takes an iron supplement daily. He seems to get tired a lot and just sits in his chair all day. :sigh:
I wish he would get more exercise. Him and my mom are the same age and she's like a fireball compared to him, but she's also a lot more active daily and I think that's a big reason she's healthier.
i know what you mean, it sucks though as my mom used to be a fireball like your mom. things are so crazy at their house (my grandmother and dad have both had some health issues the past few months) she hasn't had much time to exercise like she used to but at the very least she walks their neighbour's dog once or twice a day.

i'm still so relieved that she doesn't have cancer but on the other hand...i certainly wouldn't want her to have cancer but i hate that she still has no idea what's causing her iron levels to bottom out like this and i hate that i'm so far away and can't do anything about it.

btw, thanks everyone :)

:hug: oysters, if she can stomach them! As well as those foods listed above my mum was advised to stock up on those smoked jobbies in the can when her iron levels fell really low a few years ago. I do remember it took a really long time for mums levels to come back to 'normal' which is apparently quite common.

Without being alarmist it may be worth looking at any allergies she may have (anything auto immune related) or intolerances to things like wheat based products ~ a girlfriend of mine was recently diagnosed with coeliacs and the reason the doctor picked it up was her chronically low iron levels and the subsequent fatigue that resulted.

It must be so frustrating for you and your Mum to have no real cause at this stage but it sounds like she has a doctor on her side who knows her well so at least the process of elimination is well under way ~ and mercifully nothing really nasty has reared its' ugly head. Hope the answers are found soon angel.

:hug: :hug:

Re: tea and anaemia - It's green tea that has been shown to block iron absorption, I'm pretty sure other types are ok. That doesn't mean you have to stop drinking it all together, though. Two things you can do - don't drink green tea with meals, drink it between meals, generally an hour after. Another thing that's said to cancel out the iron-blocking effects is to add a bit of citrus juice to your tea. Vitamin C actually helps the body absorb iron and has also been shown to help the body absorb the anti-oxidant properties of the green tea itself.

That's good news for tea nuts like myself. :D So no need to give it up, especially since in every other way, it's amazing for you. :up:

:nerd:

Ah ok, sounds good. I just avoid it myself altogether though, when I'm not feeling well since my Doc never specified :uhoh:

ooh, that's good to know about the tea as my mom just drinks black tea anyway - and puts lemon in it. :D

thanks again everyone :hug: i'll be sure to bring up the food allergy thing to her as well, pr. :)

Re: tea and anaemia - It's green tea that has been shown to block iron absorption, I'm pretty sure other types are ok. That doesn't mean you have to stop drinking it all together, though. Two things you can do - don't drink green tea with meals, drink it between meals, generally an hour after. Another thing that's said to cancel out the iron-blocking effects is to add a bit of citrus juice to your tea. Vitamin C actually helps the body absorb iron and has also been shown to help the body absorb the anti-oxidant properties of the green tea itself.

That's good news for tea nuts like myself. :D So no need to give it up, especially since in every other way, it's amazing for you. :up:

:D THanks that's awesome. lol I drink WAY too much tea to stop cold turkey. The only green tea I drink ironically is with Lemon flavour. I'll add a bit of juice to that then.

The big thing that helps, far as I could tell, was taking iron pills.
Yep. Getting your iron 'the natural way' is a fine goal once you get your levels back up (provided you're getting them checked regularly), but for most people with anemia, trying to bring them back up without iron supplements is like putting the proverbial Band-Aid on a hemorrhage. Also she should make sure any supplement she takes fits the doctor's description (dosage size, form of iron etc.).

My Mom has battled this for years and the only thing that has really worked well is when she goes to get the super dose of injectable iron every 3 months (leaves a gigantic, ugly bruise, but she says that she feels like she's a new person immediately).

tea nerd :cute:

My Mom has battled this for years and the only thing that has really worked well is when she goes to get the super dose of injectable iron every 3 months (leaves a gigantic, ugly bruise, but she says that she feels like she's a new person immediately).

~ this is exactly what my Mum had to have for 18months (and she still has this bizarre stain on her butt :crack: ) but she did experience an immediate improvement in her levels and now maintains them with diet / supplements etc (to be clear, I'm not entirely sure if she was diagnosed with anaemia or just chronically low levels of iron :reject: )

i believe my mom's got another transfusion set up soon, it's hard keeping track of all this medical stuff (my dad just had knee surgery yesterday and my grandma's in a rehab facility recuperating from a bad fall). :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom