An uncomfortable work situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina Filangie

The Fly
One of my coworkers is an older lady that has been here for almost 30 years. She has a lot of experience, but apparently makes quite a few errors-some of which have cost the company money. She also has kind of a bad attitude towards our office manager. He has gradually been giving me more of her work because he says that I'm more efficient, make very few errors, and have a much friendlier disposition. I'm fine with the extra work as it has meant a substantial raise, but I know she is bothered by it. We have always got along well and I would never try to replace her or make her look bad, but I think she feels like she's being slowly phased out. To be fair, I think that is what our boss is trying to do-transition her position to me since he knows she'll be retiring in a few years. I just feel caught in the middle because I like both of them. I don't want to upset her, but on the other hand if my boss tells me to do something I have to do it. Looking for another job is not really an option because I like it here and don't want to leave.

I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about at all. It may be a sad situation for your coworker to accept, but she can't continue working there forever and someone has to be able to step up and take it over. Be honored that your boss thinks you are capable of it. Just do your job, continue to treat your coworker as you always have and things will settle in time.

Sorry you're stuck in the middle.

We had something like this once. This older lady who worked in the Food Services office would call us (the HelpDesk) every few minutes with really stupid questions. On top of that, she was very rude and had not even the most basic clue of how to use a computer, but her main job involved data entry and working on a computer! It got so bad, we called her supervisor to inform him that we were a HelpDesk, here to solve problems, not teach other people's employees how to do their basic job.

If she can't do their job, she should be replaced. If she is valuable to the company even at this point, it should send her to get more training so that she can do her work properly.

I would tell your supervisor this situation makes you uncomfortable and have him/her talk to the older lady. You're just doing your job, so you don't owe her any explanation. The supervisor is the one that owes her an explanation since s/he is the one taking work from her and giving it to you.

ylimeU2 said:
I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about at all. It may be a sad situation for your coworker to accept, but she can't continue working there forever and someone has to be able to step up and take it over. Be honored that your boss thinks you are capable of it. Just do your job, continue to treat your coworker as you always have and things will settle in time.

You could organise a hit, then get all of her work and another substantial raise.

Of course the raise would have to cover the cost of the contract killing, to really be of an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom