after swearing i wouldn't, i can't help myself...i want a fifth tattoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
and i need someone's help, lol.

i was thinking about getting a word or two written in gaelic, but i don't know gaelic at all! (except for an act dubh, lol.) i know there's several people here that are from ireland so i was hoping one of you guys could help me.

i've not decided on a specific word/words, but here's some ideas:

peace
love
tranquility
happiness
sorrow

etc...essentially all the same kinda words people always get tattooed on them in chinese. but imo that's too cliched for me and since i'm not chinese i really didn't wanna do that...but i am part irish! :D

any help from any gaelic speakers would be awesome. thanks!

Ta gra agam ort = Love in Gaelic

S?och?in - Gaelic for peace

doilgheas - Gaelic for sorrow

seamr?g - Gaelic for shammrock

This is all Irish Gaelic, theres like 4 variations of Gaelic. Im thinking that the irish version is the one you want. PM me if you have any questions and I hope this helps!

adamswildhoney said:
Ta gra agam ort = Love in Gaelic
'gra' means 'love' in Gaelic....'ta gram agam ort' would then mean 'I love you', if I remember right....:scratch:

you too KR?

After never even considering getting a tattoo,I am now tempted.

We have a music and lifestyle TV show on saturday mornings here "FLY TV" ( of all things). One of their reporters let the cameras follow her to a tattoo parlour and film her being tattooed.
She got a HUGE claddagh across her lower spine...and she NEVER flinched, she likened it to....hmmm can't remember now, something I didn't think hurt much. Apparently her mum told her she got the claddagh the wrong way up and now she'd end up a spinster:eyebrow: Anyway,I found it inspirational.
I wanna tell my joke...it has to do with Electrical Storm and tattoos and stars...........nah, new leaf, behave.:mac: :sexywink:

I would like a Chinese butterfly that is on a very VERY old and beautiful porcelain tea cup I have. I want it strategically placed on my shoulder so it can't be seen easily. My son's mate has really got into his tattoo, it is a dragon that extends up his bicep and onto his shoulder. It looks good, the local tattooist ( who has a strange nickname, that escapes me now) is quite a good artist.

we'll see.....another big idea perhaps.
I like your choices of gaelic words. I gave my kids names that truned out to be gaelic words...one of them lucked it in with a good meaning.
Wishing you love and tranquility KR

:wave:

Re: you too KR?

cass said:

I would like a Chinese butterfly that is on a very VERY old and beautiful porcelain tea cup I have. I want it strategically placed on my shoulder

I've been considering this same thing for a while. Right on the outside forward bone on my left shoulder. All my tats are from ancient Asian art.

Go for it, cass!! :yes:

Do it, Cass!!

It's not painful at all. It just feels like being scratched by a cat or something. You get used to it after a few seconds and then you hardly even notice it. :)

For some reason I have always thought I wanted one. Are they really addictive? I think that, plus I am not sure I want to be 50 years old and have one, is all that is stopping me.
I want this wrought iron pattern type thing across my second toe. A'la a toe ring, but extremely permanent lol.

I should have done it years ago before I became such a wuss.

Angela Harlem said:
For some reason I have always thought I wanted one. Are they really addictive? I think that, plus I am not sure I want to be 50 years old and have one, is all that is stopping me.
I want this wrought iron pattern type thing across my second toe. A'la a toe ring, but extremely permanent lol.

I should have done it years ago before I became such a wuss.

Yes, they're addictive! :D

I'm almost 41, and I've been tattooed for almost 21 years, and I still love mine!

Toes can be tricky; talk to a reputable artist before you do anything down there.

Thats Martha! Actually, you are the second person to advise being careful with toe tats. I never asked the first person what they meant. Is this because doing things with your feet can cause medical problems? I always thought it might be something to do with it being a tricky area to tattoo. But I am diabetic, so should probably get as much advice as I can before I do anything!

How are they addictive? Sorry to ask lots of questions, but I'm fascinated! Aren't they painful? I guess when you get one, it is a design you really really want, so that probably helps!

Also, how would you go about finding a reputable one? Tattooist that is. I'm thinking they aren't really going to advertise their own bad reps, and friends or whatever will always assure you 'that whatsisname is a great artist'...but how do you really know?

Go into the place and check it out.
Ask to see where they keep the bagged needles and ink and sanitation area, be nosey they don't mind. And ask if there's any work you can see, like most tat artist do their own so if you like what's on them ask if they did it themselves, or if there's others in the studio who've been inked by them.

2 main things - That they are a clean environment!
They know what they are doing, no dodgy lookinng tats!

And perhaps depending on what type of design you want, check to see whose good with that type of graphic. For instance I got a cartoon kitty cat on my ankle/leg and got the artist there who loves to draw toys and cartoonish like things. His stuff looked amazing, and my tattoo turned out PERFECT.

Angela Harlem said:
Thats Martha! Actually, you are the second person to advise being careful with toe tats. I never asked the first person what they meant. Is this because doing things with your feet can cause medical problems? I always thought it might be something to do with it being a tricky area to tattoo. But I am diabetic, so should probably get as much advice as I can before I do anything!

How are they addictive? Sorry to ask lots of questions, but I'm fascinated! Aren't they painful? I guess when you get one, it is a design you really really want, so that probably helps!

Also, how would you go about finding a reputable one? Tattooist that is. I'm thinking they aren't really going to advertise their own bad reps, and friends or whatever will always assure you 'that whatsisname is a great artist'...but how do you really know?

What the new kid said is right: go into the place and look around. I've found that good tattoo artists are friendly and clean, like their shops. Ask to see their portfolio books. I love looking at tattoo portfolios! I do it when I'm visiting a city and stop in a shop with no intention of getting tattoed there! When you see the work of an artist you like, find out who it is and ask to talk to him/her. Stop people on the street who have tattoos that you like and ask them about their work. Most of us like to talk about our tattoos. ;)

Tattoos are painful, some more so than others. Why they're addictive is hard to explain. You start to like how they look on you, you start to think of new ideas and new places for ink, and then before you know it, you've got a few more and that's not enough.

Foot tattoos are tricky because of the skin and how they heal. I asked my artist about them, and he said they hurt, and they don't always heal right. Certain parts of the foot are trickier than others. Talk to the artists near you and see what they think. Next time you're at your doctor's, ask him about getting tattooed, since you're diabetic. If he gives you any shit, go see a different doctor. Although, none of my doctors has ever given me shit about my tattoo questions. One did ages ago; I quit going to him. :rolleyes:

Have fun!!

martha said:
Foot tattoos are tricky because of the skin and how they heal. I asked my artist about them, and he said they hurt, and they don't always heal right.
:yes:

i used to work with someone who had a tattoo on their foot. it took them 3+ times getting inked there within a six month period for it to finally look right, cuz it would look so weird after it was done healing. after hearing how painful they are, and the healing process, i'm never going to get a foot tattoo.

however, i'm not sure where to get these words tattooed on me. does anyone have any suggestions? :)

If he gives you any shit, go see a different doctor. Although, none of my doctors has ever given me shit about my tattoo questions. One did ages ago; I quit going to him. :rolleyes:
ugh, i hate it when doctors try to enforce their beliefs/opinions on other people. this isn't "i wanna take drugs because of my back problem" or something life threatening/illegal, it's a freaking tattoo.

i have one tattoo already (a moon with a shooting star on my ankle) and i want another one. it's been 8 long years since the first one but now i'm getting up the courage for another.

see my problem is, is that i don't have a pic of the one i want. i was wondering if somone here can help me...preferably someone with a scanner. :)

this might sound strange but i caught my eye when i saw it so bare with me. if someone has the smashing pumpkins cd mellon collie and the infinate sadness it's in the booklet that is in the middle of the 2 cd's with all the lyrics to the songs and stuff. now like the ATYCLB booklet, it has little pics beside each song. i can't remember what song it is cause i personally don't have the cd ( i dont' know why cause i love SP) but it's a pic of two keys that overlap each other.

if anyone can help me in the persuit of my future tattoo that would be greatly appriciated.

:D

that's exactly the one i was looking for. thank you soooo much for your help Sparkysgrrrl.

Cheers! :D

I think this is funny....

Thanks for the encouragement. I want one, as usual it is a matter of $$$. I have promised my son that I will pay for a tattoo for his back when he is 18. He had some moles removed and I'm hoping they will be able to tattoo over his scars (they are so big, I'm wishing we had gone to another surgeon, he ballsed up my other son's broken arm too). So one day...a spray of lilly-of the-valley, forget-me-nots, jonquils and a lacey black and blue butterfly.
Ouch...tattoed toe ring. Good idea Angela. A young friend of mine is getting married soon and showed me her simple straight pale blue wedding dress. I showed her some pictures of brides having their hands and feet henna'ed in India. It looks like lace. I wish my hand was steady enough to do that. I always doodle mandalas...amd stars.

Anyway today's tatt story...
I had an old old temporary stick on tattoo in the bottom of a kitchen drawer, been there so long. It is a pretty coloured butterfly. I remember claiming it from a set the boys had years ago. I was intending to wear it one day.
I was sorting through that drawer on Saturday and the butterfly tattoo reappeared again. I decided to be very daring and wear it to the INXS concert!!!what a:mac: :lol: I was rather amazed it adhered when we applied it..and adhere it did!!

I had to go to the doctor on Tuesday. I wasn't until late that night, I thought about what he had done (checking out my lungs with his stethoscope routine, breath deeep, tap tap..all that .)
I realised the tattoo was still there. I had forgotten. I did have several showers between seeing INXS and the doctor, but he dang thing is still there..it adhered all right.

I don't think I would be quite so embarrassed if it was a real tattoo and not a kid's stick on one. Oh dear...I think I have to find a new doctor...hub reckons not to worry...but I do...I want the man to respect me, not think I'm a ............person who plays with stick on tattos (hhmmm but I did!!)
maybe he didn't notice it:eyebrow: :yes: :eeklaugh:

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement...
sharky and chook....the names of the local tattoo artsist:lol:

i am 18 now, so i could very well go get that tattoo i've been wanting on my ankle...but i'm still not completely sure what it should be...i kind of want just a little symbol or something...i was thinking either a cross or chinese for prayer or something like that...but gaelic is a cool idea too...

too bad i can't find a translator online that will do the gaelic thing...

Stories for Boys said:
i was thinking either a cross or chinese for prayer or something like that...but gaelic is a cool idea too...
you could get both! :wink:

adamswildhoney could help you with the gaelic. :D

i was thinking about picking two opposite words, kinda to remind me of the balance of life. like happiness (in gaelic) with a sun by it, and sadness (also in gaelic) with a moon by it, something like that.

sicy's sun and moon are cute. :D

KhanadaRhodes said:

you could get both! :wink:

adamswildhoney could help you with the gaelic. :D

i was thinking about picking two opposite words, kinda to remind me of the balance of life. like happiness (in gaelic) with a sun by it, and sadness (also in gaelic) with a moon by it, something like that.

sicy's sun and moon are cute. :D

heh...i think i'll stick to one (in theory of course...) *looks at title of thread*

i like that idea, of the sun and moon...very nice!

*edit* i just got an idea i really like....now i just need to find a good picture...

ok, here goes... it's a huguenot cross...not only does it signify my faith, but also a bit of my background/history etc...and there's some really cool symbolism going on...i should have thought of it sooner...maybe this about 1 1/2 inches high and 1 inch wide on my outside right ankle...if i still like it when i have time and money to get it...i will!
:yes:
Cross1.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom