afraid to fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Blue Crack Addict
I'm seriously scared of flying:yikes: like the thought of it makes me want to vomit....my husband and I recently scored U2 tix for Hawaii and just knowing I have to get on a plane in 4 months is freaking me out even though I've flown alot..it gets worse.....but I found this website and it has actually helped a ton!

http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/

it was written by a veteran airline pilot...take the online course, it takes about an hour but it will help you understand how a plane works, what are all the noises you hear, all the safety stuff, how a plane can never just flip over or fall out of the sky. My uncle is a pilot and he has tried to tell me all this and I never believed him..until now:lol: Thought I'd share because I found it so helpful:up:

I hate flying, but not because I'm afraid of it. I actually like the take-off, because I love going fast!

I've heard of people who are afraid just going to the airport every once in a while, just to watch the planes and see how things go.

U2 in Hawaii...you know it's sooooo going to be worth it!

I wouldnt say I'm afraid, but I really hate it. Especially after the whole 911 thing I really just didnt want to get on a plane again. To this day I can only fly like to L.A. (short 1 hr flight). I have (or used to) have dreams all the time of planes crashing it was horrible :no:

yeah...the U2 part is forcing me on the plane....:hmm: of course the Hawaii part makes it easier too:wink:

but still*shudder...

Sicy said:
I wouldnt say I'm afraid, but I really hate it. Especially after the whole 911 thing I really just didnt want to get on a plane again. To this day I can only fly like to L.A. (short 1 hr flight). I have (or used to) have dreams all the time of planes crashing it was horrible :no:

:scream: nooo bad dreams

1 hour flights:drool: I can handle those...when we flew back from Chicago our flight was 55 minutes..I was relieved because we didn't even go that high:huh: :lol: but our flight to Hawaii is 13 hrs:scream: .....911 freaked me out too:sad: but even more so I am afraid of mechanical stuff.

It seems like shorter flights are often worse in terms of bumping and terbulance, since the plane is basically ascending and then descending and often doesn't find a nice cruising altitude.

i've always loved flying so i don't know how much help i'll be here.:shifty:

but if you dont mind a 1 hour flight you shouldnt have that much of a problem i wouldnt think, you just have to sit for a lot longer, that's really the only difference. :wink:

and statisticly flying is the safest way to travel isn't it? it's definitly safer than driving...

I used to love it now I hate it more every year.

I think it's more claustrophobia than fear of flying. I hate the idea that I can't get out if I want to :(

^yeah..I don't like the idea of not being in control either.

TRE..sit longer! noooo that doesn't help...flying to the virgin islands took 8 hrs and that sucked:scream: 1 hour was like a dream:drool:

I'm terrified of flying - last time I flew I couldnt take my seatbelt off the whole flight. And it was a ten hour flight! I'm going to Hawaii..and I'm absolutely dreading it. I dont mind the take off and landing, its the time inbetween when I know I'm really high up. Its just this idea of having so much space between me and the earth..like right under my feet theres miles of nothingness.. :yikes: ...but thanks for the website link!:up:

well if it's the time that you dont like then listen to music, read a book...do something that takes your mind off the flight itself.

i've flown from chicago to london many times, thats about 8 hours and the biggest problem i have is boredom. books & ipods :up::up:

redkat said:
I think it's more claustrophobia than fear of flying. I hate the idea that I can't get out if I want to :(

That's exactly how I feel. When I flew from Detroit to Baltimore to see my mom...I realized that towards the end of the flight, my heart was racing, and I was literally clawing at the window because I was starting to feel so panicked. I feel like I'm trapped when I'm flying.

I despise flying.

even before 9/11

I had some terrible flights w/ turbulence etc

I got home from my honeymoon on September 10th, 2001 at about 11pm. Too close of a call for me.

I used to be terrified of flying, and was travelling a lot. I could not get on the plane without having a few (okay, several) drinks in one of the airport bars first. :slant: Almost missed a flight to San Jose because I'd been sitting in the bar for so long. :crack: I don't mind it so much now though, just kinda gradually got over it I guess.

I am terrified of flying. Absolutely petrified. I had never been on a plane until last year and now I have been on about 2 - 4 flights every month since September. I still hate it but I just get on the plane because I have to if I want to go and see all the amazing places I've managed to see in the past year.

I am quite quiet and calm on the plane but if there is a loud announcement I am almost jumping out of my seat. I also get very anxious when there is someone making a fuss on the plane and howling if the plane is a bit bumpy, that makes me more nervous than anything else and I will act totally unlike myself. On one occasion I ended up shouting out something to the girl infront of us because I was getting so panicked by all her wailing. :lol:

Add me to the club. I've avoided flying for 6 years and am not looking forward to my flight in December :uhoh:

PS - Dis is coming to Hawaii?!? :hyper::hyper::hyper: :drool:

Eh, I've been on planes more times than I care to count.

I prefer my feet to be on the ground, but it's a necessary evil. I can't sleep at all on flights (unless in first class because then I can recline - flying overseas is such a joy this way), which is what I hate most about them.

Drinking on a flight will make you really dehydrated - I really would stay away from this, especially on longhaul flights. Combined with jetlag, you'll feel like utter shit for days.

redkat said:

I feel that way too, but I'm definitely freaked out about flying. I've flown a ton over the years, but the first and last half hour or so are always the worst for me. And if there's turbulence, I'm totally petrified. I can't sleep on a plane either, so that totally sucks.

The last time I flew, a really nice guy was sitting next to me, and could tell I was nervous. He kept me laughing and distracted the entire flight (about 6 hours) and that was awesome. It was bad for a bit, but he was hilarious, and tried to get my mind off of the plane, and onto other things.

If all else fails, there's always tranquilizers! :wink:

anitram said:
Drinking on a flight will make you really dehydrated - I really would stay away from this, especially on longhaul flights. Combined with jetlag, you'll feel like utter shit for days.

INDEED!

I get dehydrated flying without drinking on a flight.

As most of you know, I work for an airline. The absolute WORST thing is when people get on a plane, allow it to push back, and then get so frightened that they demand the pilot return to the gate to get off. Completely selfish!

We had someone do this a few months ago. The plane returned...a couple got off, and then the plane needed additional fuel. It ended up leaving :40 minutes late.

ONE person's fear inconvenienced 98 others and cost the airline probably $1000 extra (all for a $250 probably).

NOT cool!

I have never been afraid to fly. Like Livluv said about it, I like the take off, even landing is kind of cool. The only thing at this point that would make me nervous at all is the whole 911 thing. You know though, the odds of something happening are so ridiculous its not even worth worrying about. :shrug: Driving is 20 times (if not more) dangerous than flying and most of us do that every single day.

I've hated flying since 9/11. It's also claustrophobic.....no window to open, no place to breathe in "fresh" air...and that re-gurgitated airplane air is everyone's germs recycled about the cabins (at least there's no smoking on flights!). The whole airport, check in, herd to the plane, herd off the plane, wait in this line, wait in that line, go through several security checks and now take off your shoes.........ugh! Takes the fun out of travel, that's for sure. First Class is the way to go if you can splurge or afford it, and most fun is flying with friends. THAT makes the trip much more bearable!

u2popmofo can vouch that I am absolutely terrified of flying. For me, it's a matter of control and panic. Pretty much every time I fly to see him, I go through that online course mentioned in the first post. I can't recommend it enough. It really helps a lot for people with control issues to know intellectually every little thing that's happening along the way. I find that it helps keep my mind from running away into fantastically scary scenarios, especially during turbulence.

I also think it's a good idea to mention to the person sitting near you that you're scared. When you know you have an ally, it's a little easier to relax. I've been blessed to sit next to really friendly people who want to help and are willing to talk to me, especially if it gets bumpy and they see me getting nervous. Once I even sat by a pilot who was on his way home, so that was extra reassuring. :yes:

Getting on a plane is the hardest thing for me to do, but it's worth it to see mofo (and for him to see my smiling, relieved, white-as-a-ghost face as I get off the plane). :faint: :wink:

I have to fly for 23 hours in October and I'm honestly shitting myself. I almost couldn't handle just visiting the international terminal a few weeks ago. The furthest I've flown before this trip is a mere 3 hours to Cairns.

I'm really shitting myself. If I didn't want this holiday so much, I'd never have agreed to it.
:(

I'm going to do the link thing now. Great thread.

Anna :hug:

Good luck, girl. It pretty much took an act of God to get me through my first 1.5 hour trip to mofo's, and I can't even fathom 23 hours, so I understand how scared you are. I get scared just being at the airport too. :( If you want to PM me, I might be able to give you some more advice. :hug:

I have used that website quite a few times and it calms me down, but i get absolutely freaked out with every bump, noise, whatever on planes...

i've flown my whole life and never had a problem until 2002 when the night before I was supposed to fly the news said 'terrorist alert' for the place i was flying and i freaked it!

ever since them i can be quite contained on flights when its smooth and comfortable (my flight from hong kong to london was a DREAM) but every time i get to the states i get nervous...

its also shite because i live in australia so to get ANYWHERE interesting its a 7+ (or london 23+) flight.

I also agree with the lack of control and the fact that toher people just fall asleep and snoooooooze the whole time and im sitting there moving like a crazy person.

ARGH. I adore travelling, but flying is shithouse!

Angela Harlem said:
I have to fly for 23 hours in October and I'm honestly shitting myself. I almost couldn't handle just visiting the international terminal a few weeks ago. The furthest I've flown before this trip is a mere 3 hours to Cairns.

I'm really shitting myself. If I didn't want this holiday so much, I'd never have agreed to it.
:(

I'm going to do the link thing now. Great thread.

For getting to see Paris alone, it is worth it. :up:

Where are you going to again?

I personally love flying really get a rush out of take off! :hyper: Hate the turbulence though that's probably about the only time I start getting a bit concerned. Usually have my cd player with me though so I throw some U2 on to take my mind off of the plane shaking and bouncing. Oops sorry sure that part right there didn't help those who are afraid of flying,lol. Will admit after 911 I was a bit scared when I got on a plane again. That feeling passed fast though.

Dis if you get scared on your flight just remember that you are going to paradise to see U2 :drool: You and Kaf really suck :madspit: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom