afraid to fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adrball said:
23+ hours from UK to Sydney in November will really be difficult if they continue the ban on hand luggage.

My flight will be approx. 18 hours from here to Sydney. The longest flight I've been on was maybe 9 or so hours and I nearly went insane :huh:

Last edited:
I'm not scared of flying, but I'll tell you what I am scared of at the moment... the US banning everything from flights like the UK did. Liquids are banned, and I can live with that, but flying without a book or magazine or mp3 player or anything at all to keep me entertained?? :no:

I have to fly home in 2 weeks (been out of the US since June 1) and I brought my laptop with me... I really don't want to have to put my laptop in my checked luggage. It would never survive. My shampoo doesn't even survive. I have three flights to get me home.. three (four?) trips through the baggage handlers... :|

having to put your laptop in checked baggage would really suck:|

hopefully airlines would supply stuff to make the trip more bareable for passengers.

I think at some point there may be...

1. Absolutely no carry-ons on any flights worldwide.

2. All check-in baggage sent seperately on freight only flights. (Imagine the cost of running this :shocked: )

3. Food and Entertainment items supplied to passengers in-flight.

Kristie said:
I'm not scared of flying, but I'll tell you what I am scared of at the moment... the US banning everything from flights like the UK did. Liquids are banned, and I can live with that, but flying without a book or magazine or mp3 player or anything at all to keep me entertained?? :no:

I have to fly home in 2 weeks (been out of the US since June 1) and I brought my laptop with me... I really don't want to have to put my laptop in my checked luggage. It would never survive. My shampoo doesn't even survive. I have three flights to get me home.. three (four?) trips through the baggage handlers... :|

I fly too much to worry about whether or not they aren't taking all the necessary precautions at the airport. Flying is stressful enough for me already. Taking just my passport onboard is okay with me. I always have my insurance to cover any losses or damages to my luggage. To me it is just some material things I could always replace anyway. :shrug:

It said on the airports website that I am flying to (in Britain from The Netherlands) that all things purchased after the secuirty check can be brought onboard so maybe you can do that too and that would solve the books / magazines problem. :)

Zootlesque said:
I think at some point there may be...

1. Absolutely no carry-ons on any flights worldwide.

2. All check-in baggage sent seperately on freight only flights. (Imagine the cost of running this :shocked: )

I'd actually feel better:up:

tiny dancer said:
If it comes to no carry-ons worldwide I worry about my medications, that I always take with me on the plane.

Medications are allowed if they are essential. My sister flew yesterday and was allowed her insulin and needles onboard with no problems.

There is no way this laptop policy will stick around for long, because the businessmen in first class will revolt.

Zootlesque said:

A no-frill airline ala Southwest; with your ticket you're issued $5.00 worth of airline credits which can only be used on a series of wall to wall vending machines that take the place of the last 8 rows...:up:

I actually though the same thing Zoot about all carry on bags actually being banned completely at some point. Honestly that is probably about one of the main things that would really suck for me. Carry my most important belongings in there since I don't trust checked baggage.

Oh and as much as I love using Southwest you really hit it good Mr Baw with what you said :lol:

The restrictions are changing every hour, it seems. This will happen for the next week or so.

RIGHT NOW:

Domestic (U.S.) flying:

NO liquids or gels (outside of prescription medications with YOUR name on it and baby formula/breast milk). Lip Balm and solid lipsticks are OK. Same with SOLID deodorant. If you buy something at the Sundries shop after you pass through TSA screening (like water or a coffe), get ready to finish or lose it. You cannot carry it on.

TSA is doing random screenings of passengers as they get on planes to find stuff in your bag they have missed when they initially screened you. I say...throw it in your checked luggage!

I was amazed as I checked in on one of our early morning flights today....the overhead bins were close to EMPTY.

Delays are still happening...but not significant enough for most passengers to notice.

Laptops and iPods and other electronic devices are allowed. No worries there.

There are rules for International flights...and some REALLY strict rules on flights in and out of the U.K. right now though.

I guess that begs the question of whether there is any point in selling perfume and alcohol at the duty free anymore? After all, you've checked your luggage by that point, so they may as well close these shops or am I crazy?

^Good point!

This is all so very sad and unfair to the honest travellers all the world over to have to be put through these inconveniences (but for good reason). I hope things settle down before I fly next. With the cost of airfare these days I expect something to drink during the flight and depending on the length of the flight something to eat along the way as well as having the opportunity to bring some reading material or music, dvds etc to entertain me during the trip.

Here's how I think it will all pan out.

No luggage will be allowed past security except meds, baby stuff and specs. Ie no books, electronics or drinks. But I reckon hand luggage will be allowed where it has been bought past security.

So assuming that any fall in passenger numbers as a result of this scare will only be temporary. Business will boom for those airport lounge shops and airlines will take some much need additional revenue from sale/loan of entertainment sets.

The airlines will make money again.

Carek1230 said:
^Good point!

This is all so very sad and unfair to the honest travellers all the world over to have to be put through these inconveniences (but for good reason). I hope things settle down before I fly next. With the cost of airfare these days I expect something to drink during the flight and depending on the length of the flight something to eat along the way as well as having the opportunity to bring some reading material or music, dvds etc to entertain me during the trip.

How you gonna sneak those pineapples back from Hawaii?? :hmm:

Last edited:
BonosBaby12 said:

Yeah at the expense of us who work hard for our money to buy their airline tickets. Understand completely why they are doing these restrictions and all but still it's a real pain.

I'm not sure what you mean. How are the airlines going to make money off this? :huh:

WildHoneyAlways said:

I'm not sure what you mean. How are the airlines going to make money off this? :huh:

What I meant is that it's very possibly that airlines are going to raise prices of the 9/11 security fee that you have to pay for when purchasing your ticket. Yeah it's only a couple of dollars now but it really adds up when you factor in their other fees. People are becoming afraid to fly all over again and money is to be made off of this problem by all including airlines. Not to mention that if there is a drop in ticket sales due to inconvience or fear than base prices of tickets could also be on the rise.

Last edited:
Just realized how my original post came across. Commented on 2 different things when I should have worded it differently. Wasn't meaning it to come across as the airlines make money off of the new restrictions. Reasons for them making money are above. Hard sometimes to get the right point across on the internet.

Last edited:
BonosBaby12 said:

What I meant is that it's very possibly that airlines are going to raise prices of the 9/11 security fee that you have to pay for when purchasing your ticket. Yeah it's only a couple of dollars now but it really adds up when you factor in their other fees. People are becoming afraid to fly all over again and money is to be made off of this problem by all including airlines. Not to mention that if there is a drop in ticket sales due to inconvience or fear than base prices of tickets could also be on the rise.

WOW!

I really do not know where to begin on this one. I think I will start with my usual "Airline ticket price" rant.

Ticket prices have pretty much stayed about the same price...if not dropped...over the last 25 years. What other product has done that? Nothing!

Much like your car...planes need fuel to fly. Go compare the coast of driving from NYC to LA as opposed to FLYING from NYC to LA. Then we can talk.

The 9/11 fee is a TAX. That is right...the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT taxing you to fly. You pay more taxes on airline tickets than you could ever imagine. This KILLS airlines because they want to deliver cheaper prices...but add the taxes on the end, and you get screwed.

Of the airlines that do provide in-flight entertainment on domestic flights, not ONE charges for headphones. JetBlue actually offers LIVE television. I think you can upgrade and purchase a better pair of ear phones for like $2. United offers headsets for free. Most airlines have no inflight entertainemt...and know it costs too much to deliver.

Not sure if you have read the news, but the airline industry has been a disaster since 9/11/01. Four of the six legacy carriers have gone through or are in bankruptcy. Close to half of the people who worked in the industry on 9/11/01 have been laid off. The rest have taken multiple pay cuts to keep their airlines flying.

As I mentioned before, the restrictions they had on thursday after slowly lapsed. They had double 100% screening of passengers on friday morning. By Saturday afternoon....it was random passengers on random flights. TSA has approved baby food now...etc. etc. etc.

IF the airline industry takes another dip like it did in 2001, we will lose at least one airline...and possibly more.

anitram said:
I guess that begs the question of whether there is any point in selling perfume and alcohol at the duty free anymore? After all, you've checked your luggage by that point, so they may as well close these shops or am I crazy?

they have pulled all liquids off of the shelves at Duty Free shops. Kinda pointless to have them now.

zoney! said:
There are rules for International flights...and some REALLY strict rules on flights in and out of the U.K. right now though.

as i understand it, on flights to the UK you can't carry hardly anything on. only "essentials". no iPods, laptops etc. but International flights to other countries seem to be basicly the same as domestic flights...

do you know if that's correct?

zoney! said:

WOW!

I really do not know where to begin on this one. I think I will start with my usual "Airline ticket price" rant.

Ticket prices have pretty much stayed about the same price...if not dropped...over the last 25 years. What other product has done that? Nothing!

Much like your car...planes need fuel to fly. Go compare the coast of driving from NYC to LA as opposed to FLYING from NYC to LA. Then we can talk.

The 9/11 fee is a TAX. That is right...the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT taxing you to fly. You pay more taxes on airline tickets than you could ever imagine. This KILLS airlines because they want to deliver cheaper prices...but add the taxes on the end, and you get screwed.

Of the airlines that do provide in-flight entertainment on domestic flights, not ONE charges for headphones. JetBlue actually offers LIVE television. I think you can upgrade and purchase a better pair of ear phones for like $2. United offers headsets for free. Most airlines have no inflight entertainemt...and know it costs too much to deliver.

Not sure if you have read the news, but the airline industry has been a disaster since 9/11/01. Four of the six legacy carriers have gone through or are in bankruptcy. Close to half of the people who worked in the industry on 9/11/01 have been laid off. The rest have taken multiple pay cuts to keep their airlines flying.

As I mentioned before, the restrictions they had on thursday after slowly lapsed. They had double 100% screening of passengers on friday morning. By Saturday afternoon....it was random passengers on random flights. TSA has approved baby food now...etc. etc. etc.

IF the airline industry takes another dip like it did in 2001, we will lose at least one airline...and possibly more.

All I was doing was speaking of my past experiences with airlines. In fact ATA who I used to fly regularly ended up merging with Southwest to keep alive. And yes I do read the news and I am aware that some have gone into bankruptcy since 9/11 occurred. What I was stating is that since the 2001 tragedies even just even the base price of a ticket has risen. That is not the government doing that part it's the airline. As for the extra fees I was making a point of how that combined with the original price eats a paying customer alive. This is even flying a budget airline that fly's into my chosen airport. I am sure that I am not the only one who has encountered rising ticket prices. Was just merely stating my opinion,past experiences and views on this topic like everyone else :shrug:

Last edited:
I thought of this thread yesterday when I was talking to my mom. She was grumbling about how it's cheaper to fly a family of 5 to Disney World today then 11 years ago. :lol:

Every time I've flown in the past 5 years I've been able to get decent airfare, even when I flew to Italy for the Olympics. (We thought we were going to get screwed on that one and amazingly got direct flights for a good price!)

Frontier also has a TV option. Not only do you get a cute animal on the tail of your plane but you don't have to miss your favorite team's game! :D

BonosBaby12 said:

All I was doing was speaking of my past experiences with airlines. In fact ATA who I used to fly regularly ended up merging with Southwest to keep alive. And yes I do read the news and I am aware that some have gone into bankruptcy since 9/11 occurred. What I was stating is that since the 2001 tragedies even just even the base price of a ticket has risen. That is not the government doing that part it's the airline. As for the extra fees I was making a point of how that combined with the original price eats a paying customer alive. This is even flying a budget airline that fly's into my chosen airport. I am sure that I am not the only one who has encountered rising ticket prices. Was just merely stating my opinion,past experiences and views on this topic like everyone else :shrug:

ATA and Southwest did not merge. They code share. ATA (who also went through bankruptcy), got the codeshare deal to seurvive....and reduced A LOT of their flying.

Again, the base price of tickets have NOT gone up. Taxes have increased at an unbelievable rate. But the base fare has pretty much stayed the same or gone down (even with fuel prices going up). I can pull data later. There are quite a few sites out there that show fares staying the same over time.

the rockin edge said:

as i understand it, on flights to the UK you can't carry hardly anything on. only "essentials". no iPods, laptops etc. but International flights to other countries seem to be basicly the same as domestic flights...

do you know if that's correct?

As far as I know, U.K. is still on a SUPER tight lockdown. :( A lot of delays in and out of London.

It's not just taxes, it's those ridiculous landing fees that different airports impose.

I believe Toronto's Pearson Airport is now the 2nd most expensive one to land a plane in (after Hong Kong) and the difference is so huge between us and some American airports that you'd faint.

Plus then there was the "airport improvement fee" or whatever the fuck that was that was applied to every ticket when they were building the new terminal and the little railway trams to connect them.

You can get an airline ticket for $99 and have it end up costing like $250 by the time you're done. It's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom