A true confession for a U2 forum...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

:laugh: You do realize my last post I was joking? :eyebrow:

Seriously though, I have no problem with criticism of the band.
There are things they do I dont care for either. Some people, (and I'm not saying anyone that posted on this thread is one of them) all they do is complain. That I dont understand, why talk about something so much that brings them so much misery? Its not fun for most here either.

To be fair, the element that bothers me more is the spoiled brat fan. That thinks U2 owes them something. That is as bad if not worse than the constant bitchers. :shrug:

Actually, I didn't know you were joking. But, thats because I don't know you. And, I mean that seriously. I don't know your posting style and you probably don't know mine. Thats the problem with typing conversations instead of speaking them.

As far as I am concerned, I actually don't have a track record of really bitching about the band....I really don't think I've ever bitched too much about the setlists. I think that the internet really kills shows to some extent. Was I bitching about setlists when I saw them WAY too many times on PopMart? Nope, it didn't matter. Same with Elevation. There were no setlist parties, etc.
The only things I don't like about this tour specifically are:

1. The fact that, to me, its Elevation Part Deux
and
2. Pride/Streets. It sucks ass.

Other then that, I've had a good time.

I don't think I fall into the category of "spoiled brat" fan (though I might!)....I feel so freakishly fortunate to have seem them so many times. u2 doesn't owe me shit....its the other way around, if anything.

The funny thing is that I don't even really have a problem with the band or their music right now. I think its the hysteria around this place and others (specifically the concerts, as ass backwards as that sounds) that burns me out. I just want to chill and listen to some great music. The panic about GA and where you stand and how you get pulled up on stage becomes a major buzzkill for me. So, I got rid of all my GA tickets and got seats. The vast majority of the seats are TERRIBLE but whatever....I can see and hear just fine from the rafters. Its the people that DON'T understand that you can see U2 from any seat that irritate me. I'm no less of a fan for sitting in section 332 then I am in the RatHole.
Now I'm tired. I've never had a longer post.

Edit: Something didn't make sense so I changed it.

Last edited:
acknowledge my pun, minions!

Blue Room said:

:laugh: You do realize my last post I was joking? :eyebrow:

Um, No??????? :lol: I give up on today. I'm a good 10 minutes behind everyone, clearly.

:grumpy:

U2SavesMyPosterior is as behind as me though, so all is well with the world :love:

Angela Harlem said:
I was going to say sorry for hijacking a few replies back, livluv, but I forgot.

To refute Blue Room's assumptions, however, yes I whine - like pretty much everyone at some point, but I'm not spoiled. Denied, is more my gripe. Hardly overindulged in U2 round these parts.
What else? Is the band shitty? Nup, but the last 2 records were crap - solely in my opinion - obviously not a view shared by everyone, but who's charting opinions anyway?
Do they owe me? This is a stupid question, of which I'd like to slap the face of whoever created it back in the day. It's been argued back and forth for years on here, and it bugs me as much as it seems (unless I'm mistaken), you too, Blue Room.
As for why I'm here or why I continue to be a fan? These are seperate things. I'm here because of a great bunch of friends I've met through here who continue to attract me to it. Simple. Like all websites. As for why I continue to be a fan? Fandom isn't based on the current only. It's been built up over a good few years of other things. I can and am allowed to dislike aspects of U2. It's rather simple. I dont spend all my time wasting away on here complaining about them, though I've complained before. I do many constructive things each and every single day like, I am guessing, everyone else. I cant honestly look at someone who complains as someone who does nothing else with their time. To do so would mean 18 odd hours on here per day whining. No one does that. Not even jick did. Poor jick, lol.

There's no fight here, mate. Just a different opinion. Please dont take a view you've based on assumption as a truth about another person. It's actually way off for everyone in here, judging by what I know of others' views on similar things. It might be very true for others, but who's to say.
:shrug:

Well, jick was pretty close! :laugh: Jick was an instigator and a troller. He was ridiculous and its why he got banned. He is/was a whole different level. There was nothing constructive about what he posted. It was pure instigation and he got what he deserved.

For the record, as I said a couple of posts up. I wasnt referring to anyone in this thread. Just general comments. :shrug:

Now, sorry again, back to topic............. :laugh:

i've been a fan of this band since 1984. if anyone thinks for one minute that i haven't put nearly half a lifetime of passion into loving this band, they're wrong.

i used to hang on the tv waiting for a glimpse, an interview, a mere mention of the four guys i paid more attention to than my own family. i would hang out at newsstands flipping through magazines for pictures to clip out with scissors. remember, this was before the internet, before message boards like this one where all of the info you could ever dream of having was just a click away. i rushed out and bought the cd's - no, i'm sorry, i rushed out and bought the cassettes - but that was a long time ago, and i just don't have the luxury of having time for that anymore.

so, to sum it up - for me at least - some of us who have loved this band for twenty years or more are just plain fucking tired and have priorities other than rushing out to buy dvds. i can afford the dvd. i can afford ten dvds, but between single motherhood, four hour meetings and fixing dinner, i just honestly didn't give a damn about making sure i was one of the first people to own a dvd of a show that i just saw two of last weekend - a show from a tour that i already spent this year maxing my credit cards on.

i'm sure it's a great dvd.

i just felt absolutely no need to rush out and buy it today.

Re: acknowledge my pun, minions!

Angela Harlem said:

Um, No??????? :lol: I give up on today. I'm a good 10 minutes behind everyone, clearly.

:grumpy:

Its ok, I had already posted my response to your response, then I read this. :laugh:

I guess we should all move back to topic...............:shifty:

bonosgirl84 said:
i've been a fan of this band since 1984. if anyone thinks for one minute that i haven't put nearly half a lifetime of passion into loving this band, they're wrong.

i used to hang on the tv waiting for a glimpse, an interview, a mere mention of the four guys i paid more attention to than my own family. i would hang out at newsstands flipping through magazines for pictures to clip out with scissors. remember, this was before the internet, before message boards like this one where all of the info you could ever dream of having was just a click away. i rushed out and bought the cd's - no, i'm sorry, i rushed out and bought the cassettes - but that was a long time ago, and i just don't have the luxury of having time for that anymore.

so, to sum it up - for me at least - some of us who have loved this band for twenty years or more are just plain fucking tired and have priorities other than rushing out to buy dvds. i can afford the dvd. i can afford ten dvds, but between single motherhood, four hour meetings and fixing dinner, i just honestly didn't give a damn about making sure i was one of the first people to own a dvd of a show that i just saw two of last weekend - a show from a tour that i already spent this year maxing my credit cards on.

Holy shit. In two seconds you said everything I meant to say.

I love you bg.

:huh:

Just to clarify a few things...

...I wasn't born when U2 was on cassette, so that's that

...I don't feel like the band "owe" me anything. Well, Bono stood me up once (not joking), so he owes me the 5 minutes of his time promised to me, but other than that...I'm happy with things the way they are, regardless of whether I can afford the DVD :D

bonosgirl84 said:

I bought it... it's not a great DVD.

:sad:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
:huh:

Just to clarify a few things...

...I wasn't born when U2 was on cassette, so that's that

...I don't feel like the band "owe" me anything. Well, Bono stood me up once (not joking), so he owes me the 5 minutes of his time promised to me, but other than that...I'm happy with things the way they are, regardless of whether I can afford the DVD :D

For the record again, I wasnt referring to anyone on this thread with my original comments. The other comments I was participating in the banter and it appears what I said was misconstrued somewhat.

for the record the 2nd line of your post makes me feel old! :laugh:

Blue Room said:

For the record again, I wasnt referring to anyone on this thread with my original comments. The other comments I was participating in the banter and it appears what I said was misconstrued somewhat.

No prob, I didn't think you were referring to me, but I didn't really intend for the thread to turn into another "I don't care about U2 anymore, hehe, Bono's a sellout so there!" type of thread. But, whatever...

Confessions:
- I got the DVD for free, so I guess I owe them, but I haven't watched it yet...
- I wouldn't have bought it. Too much of the last two albums on there. Too little interesting otherwise.
- I am not a fan of the last two albums. Couple of nice points on them but otherwise they are an incredibly significant drop in quality and mostly just depth from all of their previous efforts. Boring. Dry. Shallow. Overproduced. Trying waaaay too hard. Just lame.
- I've never posted in a setlist thread in my life. I couldn't care less. Having said that...
- I am tickled pink that they are coming back to Australia, but...
- honestly can't hype myself about 7 ATYCLB/HTDAAB songs.

Have I covered all the topics everyone else has? Oh yeah...
- I hate Original of the Species. F*cking nursery rhyme of a song. Robbie Williams eat your heart out!!!

- Boy to Pop is the greatest run of albums by any band ever. I could write pages on how much I love these albums, and I often do...

Yikes! This thread headed south quickly....

With the exception of one rather histrionic post of the second page, I just took this whole thing as one of those harmless whining threads. Let's face it -- whining can be fun!

And that's what this thread is -- just a bit of fun. The people posting in this thread are fans and although some are critical of some of what the band has done, they are not generally negative people or prone to attack each other. But you know, sometimes it is just great fun to bitch and moan a bit. :yes: It's very cathartic. And that's exactly what I took this thread to be.

My confession before bed:

Bought the DVD and had it delivered Monday (I have wholesale access). Popped it into the player to watch a few songs with my daughter before her bedtime. Didn't have time to analyze the sound, the synchronization, the lighting or non-lighting of vertigo lights, the comparison of past DVDs, Bono's voice, etc... I am incredibly busy with work and don't have a lot of time to sit and watch TV/DVDs, especially at this time of year (even though I spend too much time in the blue crack zone :whistle: ). I'll probably catch the rest in the next week or so. I even have a DVD of my show from the 3rd leg of the tour - just barely watched most of it, but still want to re-live that more than the Chicago DVD at this point, since I was fortunate enough to get in the ellipse on the rail... I actually picked up the Audioslave DVD a couple of weeks ago upon it's release, but it's still sealed in its case...

And today I listened to HTDAAB, ATYCLB, and POP, in that order, back to back (actually skipped half of HTDAAB, since I've heard so much of it with the tour).

Led Zep on the radio to serenade me to bed (When The Levee Breaks) :rockon:

now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Oh, and for the Friends fan from several pages back:
15_1_148.gif

Aww...last night, my boyfriend said he was gonna stop after work to buy the DVD to surprise me, but then I had called to tell him I got a new job, and he said he was so excited to come home to talk to me about it that he forgot about the DVD. :lol:

I told him if he wanted to buy it for me for Christmas, that I would restrain myself and not purchase it. :wink:

I agree, it's the hysteria over superfluous things around this place that is a buzzkill - indeed.

The more you avoid this place (definitely certain aspects of it), the more you can enjoy U2 in a "pure" way perhaps..the way I enjoyed them before Al Gore invented the Internet

Yes indeed, some U2 fans are annoying :happy:

I don't know when I'll get around to watching the DVD, maybe this weekend. I have never watched the Slane DVD, it's still in cellophane actually. All that jumping around on the TV special was one thing that bugged me, and I guess at that point I was a bit burned out on U2.

i suppose i don't know why some U2 fans pit one period against another. i am an Achtung Worshipper myself, i describe it as my "favorite thing ever" -- and by "thing" i include other CDs, premium denim, cars, boats, Diesel shoes, man bags, hair product, sofas, ice cream, tickets to Mamma Mia, etc. -- and it is the only album that i can't live without. but all the albums do different things to me and seem to have had an undue influence on my life as it has progressed since i discovered them in the late 80s/early 90s and became something of a superfan in the mid-1990s.

the Achtung/Zooropa period was, for me, almost a fantasy of a cooler, better life ... slick Euro-trash-ness, sort of, think vinyl, rain-slicked streets, Berlin, new world after the end of the Cold War, angsty songs about sex and wrestling with inner demons ... it was almost like a soap opera and just perfect for my early teenaged life when things were just getting complicated.

Pop came out my freshman year in college, right when i was also getting into techno music, and it was a study in irony, in not saying what you mean, in confronting through avoidance, the absent presence/present absence, etc., all the lit theory stuff i was studying in college i found applicable in the Pop-era, the whole using the master's tools (artifice) to take down the master's house (consumerism) is applicable to both PopMart as well as, say, early 20th century African-American literature.

ATYCLB was when i moved to europe, it was a wandering, pondering, "who am i and what really matters to me" album that was perfect for a rather isolated period in time, a time when i was coming to terms with being gay, and being totally on my own and stripped of all that i had grown up with and left with just myself, i was as bare as the songs, etc.

HTDAAB is all adrenaline, it's thrilling, it's helped me get back into shape because it's the best album to run to, and thematically
it's about a sort of reconciliation with finding out who you are and what matters and strengthening your core, your essence, of who you are and what you believe just as i'm figuring out who i am -- after 3 or so years in the "real world" -- and what i want and what matters and what is crap (a whole lot of the "real world" is crap) and what is important, and let's celebrate that.

and after all that, only then can you move forward.

at any U2 concert, i let each song -- whether from HutDab or Boy -- take me back to these places in my life, and it's usually a revelatory experience, new meaning opens up right in front of me, whether it was the startling revelation that "streets" pretty much coached me out of the nice-but-homogenous suburbs or that "kite" is *my* song or that "mysterious ways" is a rather apt summation of the futility of putting sexuality in a box, the world is always a little different after a U2 show from any era.

i suppose, if i might be so bold, is to question the music less, be a little less critical, and let it wash over you and meet the music where it is right now and where the band are right now. sort of be a little zen, a little buddhist ("this is what is now") about it.

at least that's my attitude.

Brilliant post, Irvine :love:

Allthough the details of your experience are obviously different than mine, I can connect with what you wrote about how each U2-song takes you back to a certain time in your life.

I particularly love that about U2's music.

Irvine511 said:
i suppose, if i might be so bold, is to question the music less, be a little less critical, and let it wash over you and meet the music where it is right now and where the band are right now. sort of be a little zen, a little buddhist ("this is what is now") about it.

:reject:: I am a Buddhist and i have never looked at it this way :reject:

Anyway, great post Irvine :up:

Well here's my confession....

I rushed out and bought the damn thing and found it so boring that I was asleep on the couch before Streets. :reject:

Maybe it was just the mood I was in (I had just come from a hot tub under the full moon at a Japanese spa so to say I was very relaxed would be an understatement).

I also found myself overly critical and nitpicking in a way that is odd for me with U2. Suddenly all the things that Bono does that I usually find cute seemed fake and annoying. I nearly crawled out of my skin during his slithering cat thing and had to fast forward. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Maybe because I'd just watched ZooTV with a friend on Sunday and DITTO everything Irvine said about that period.

Anyway, I'll watch it numerous more times and I'm sure my impression will be different each time.

I found myself slagging near the end, especially during Pride, but if I never heard that song live again it wouldn't kill me.

I hated the Into the Heart bit. Sorry, had to say it... Whole thing smacked of cheesiness.

But, those comments aside, kudos to Irvine's post. :up: :zen:

(We need a zen smiley.)

Back
Top Bottom