A bit depressed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe the other day, and now i'm in the heart of white, upper class american suburbia. I don't want to be here anymore, I want to be back in Europe. The lifestyle and people here are obnoxious...I don't want to deal with it anymore. Thankfully I'm leaving for college in august...but I'm still feeling depressed and withdrawal from Europe. :sigh:

Well I'm always a bit depressed mainly due to life in general, but really if your were from a working class area of Belfast like myself you'd still find everyone obnoxious it's all relative, I can't wait until I get out of my own personal shithole myself, next year hopefully,

You're right, it is all relative. It's just that i've always known i've disliked american suburbia, and visiting europe added fuel to the fire. That and I can relate to the people there much more.

Germany (berlin, dresden, munich), Prague, Austria, Switzerland, and Paris. The people there are just so different than Americans...particularly in munich people were more laid back, everyone was actually in shape :ohmy:, the public transportation was WAY better, the history was fascinating, as well as the architecture, not to mention i'm in love with smart cars now, the men there are much more groomed, i'll stop now.

people are much more environmentally conscious, were more educated about events outside their own little bubbles, everything just seemed so refreshing in comparison to where i live.

I lived half my life in Europe and some days I really miss it. I miss the atmosphere there, the food, sitting around having coffee without necessarily being in a hurry the whole time.

Then I remember most of them have one toilet per apartment. And I quickly become less depressed. :wink:

Did you go to Karluv Most in Prague (Charles Bridge)? I looooove it. Have a fabulous pic of it in really thick fog.

Yeah we went to the Charles bridge, i have TONS of photos from it. One day we just ended up spending the afternoon sitting on the bridge and browsing around the venders. It's friggin beautiful.

That sounds amazing. What an understated, subtle little monument in a great city.

I'd love to see a pic if you've got one. :)

VertigoGal said:
I know what you mean about white suburbia...I'd love to travel in Europe although I've always *really* wanted to live in a city like NYC or Boston. in any case, I just want to get out of Suburbia.

me too...I want to get out of suburbia. I used to live close to NYC and I love it there, I'd love to go to college there in a few years. Either NYC or Boston, funny you said those two places.
But lately, Europe has been looking very appealing to me. I don't really know why, but I've been thinking so much lately about how I would love to move to Europe even if only for like a year. I'd love to go before college, but I have a feeling that if I do I won't get to college....I'm trying to get my parents to take me there for Christmas vacation this year though. It's a start!

Boston is not all it's cracked up to be. It's a great city to live in because we have many so things to do around here. But, the rent is expensive, the people can be downright nasty at times, the public transportation is getting worse, not enough room and the traffic is getting worse. I want out! :lol:

U2Girl1978 said:
Boston is not all it's cracked up to be. It's a great city to live in because we have many so things to do around here. But, the rent is expensive, the people can be downright nasty at times, the public transportation is getting worse, not enough room and the traffic is getting worse. I want out! :lol:

stop spoiling my romantic view of northeastern cities, dammit!:madspit:

just kidding :wink: I dunno, I just need some excitement...

no one listen to the rocking edge...he only wants to go to england so he can get drunk! lol only kidding...there are some great places in the states, Iowa not being one of them. i feel for ya.

VertigoGal said:
no one listen to the rocking edge...he only wants to go to england so he can get drunk! lol only kidding...there are some great places in the states, Iowa not being one of them. i feel for ya.

1. I do not wish to get as you put it "drunk" I simply want to be able to go to the local and have a pint when I want one!

2.thanks :hug:

"It is better to be a stranger in a foreign land... rather than a strager in your hometown"

That has been my attitude for a few years now... so needless to say, "i know what you mean", U2Dem...

the rockin edge said:

1. I do not wish to get as you put it "drunk" I simply want to be able to go to the local and have a pint when I want one!

The pub culture in England is:drool:

VertigoGal said:
there are some great places in the states, Iowa not being one of them. i feel for ya.

Eh, Iowa's not that bad. Course, I was born there, sentimental reasons and all that. Not a lot of stuff happens there, no, but it's a pretty state and the people there are generally pretty nice and everything...I don't have any complaints with the state, aside from the weather in the spring, that is. But I digress...

But I can understand where you're coming from, U2democrat. I've never even been outside the continental U.S. to Alaska and Hawaii, let alone to another country, so any other part of the world is fascinating to me right now. Nothing against this country, after all, it is what I call home and everything, was born here, have memories here, all that good stuff. But it would be nice to see other parts of the world, just see something different for a change. Maybe that's what's happening with you.

Angela

i grew up in the suburbs, too, U2 Dem, and was always bored by it. in college, i studied abroad in europe- you should definitely think about doing that your junior year. it's a great way to move abroad, and yet immediately be part of a community (school).

when i was younger, i always romanticized the idea of moving to europe. but, there are certain things here in the States- like family and friends- that i just could not be that far away from.

i suggest travelling to certain American cities- like NYC or San Francisco- that have a completely different vibe from suburbia. i've been living in NYC for 6 years, and i adore it. every type of person imaginable is here- the cultural experience is unparalleled. and yet, i'm only a 2 hour train ride away from my family.

again, definitely look into studying abroad your junior year... it's never too early to start planning! :up:

Moonlit_Angel said:

Eh, Iowa's not that bad. Course, I was born there, sentimental reasons and all that. Not a lot of stuff happens there, no, but it's a pretty state and the people there are generally pretty nice and everything...I don't have any complaints with the state, aside from the weather in the spring, that is. But I digress...

true...I regularly bitch about how I hate living in Georgia, but there are some decent people here. :wink:

*Ally* said:
i grew up in the suburbs, too, U2 Dem, and was always bored by it. in college, i studied abroad in europe- you should definitely think about doing that your junior year. it's a great way to move abroad, and yet immediately be part of a community (school).

when i was younger, i always romanticized the idea of moving to europe. but, there are certain things here in the States- like family and friends- that i just could not be that far away from.

i suggest travelling to certain American cities- like NYC or San Francisco- that have a completely different vibe from suburbia. i've been living in NYC for 6 years, and i adore it. every type of person imaginable is here- the cultural experience is unparalleled. and yet, i'm only a 2 hour train ride away from my family.

again, definitely look into studying abroad your junior year... it's never too early to start planning! :up:

I've been looking forward to studying abroad for many years now. And if any of y'all want to see my photos, let me know your e-mail address and i'll invite you to my webshots.
Anitram-i have several photos from the charles bridge!

U2democrat said:
I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe the other day, and now i'm in the heart of white, upper class american suburbia. I don't want to be here anymore, I want to be back in Europe. The lifestyle and people here are obnoxious...I don't want to deal with it anymore. Thankfully I'm leaving for college in august...but I'm still feeling depressed and withdrawal from Europe. :sigh:
Go to Australia; we have sun and beaches, and although the country is predominantly anglo-saxon waves of immigration have given the cities the best of Italian, Greek, Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine. Cheaper than Europe as well :wink:

I am so glad to hear that you can feel the beauty of Europe.I am European too):I know it sounds terrible, but i dont even want to see U.S. exept for the nature. I just want to see all the Europe.

Back
Top Bottom