The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I find this all very fascinating. His recovery process, all that he has gone through, sugeries, ulcers... a long process and then BAM! he's eating roast beast and mashed potatoes. Very cool, and well earned!

More :hug: and lotsa :heart:

Hopefully John will be feeling like this :hyper: some day soon!! But only when his body can handle it of course. :sexywink:

ok [edit] wtf?!? He's sitting in a chair?? Way too cool! Oh and Sicy, the fact he is calling you like mad is extremely :cool: I am pretty close with my brother too, but we don't talk or see eachother all that much. But when he does call or drops by, it is so special. Brothers are really special. :cute:

Last edited:
Yay! I'm so happy that John is doing much better! And LOL @ him saying that going to the bathroom by himself was fun! :laugh:

And just in case John ever does get to read this: :wave: We're all pulling for you! :heart:

Sicy said:
I used to see him maybe once every two weeks for a few hours on the weekends at my parents house. I think he really appreciates the fact that I go there everyday and help him eat and help him with whatever. He told me I love you on the phone the other day. I cant even think if he's ever told me that. :sad: :heart: Its really an emotional experience that will never be forgotten.

You are like my sister. We see each other about ten times a year, but she was there for me that much when I needed her. I will never forget this. You are a truly great person. I am sure you know that though.

oops

My brother just got busted by the doctors. I guess he's not supposed to get out of bed for another 5 weeks. :scream: The nurses were just happy to help. He was so excited to be able to do #2 in the bathroom (tmi I know :laugh:) and to sit up in a chair and have breakfast.. he said it was great. But his pelvis is too fucked up to be putting that kind of pressure on it.

Damn it. :banghead:

Re: oops

Sicy said:
My brother just got busted by the doctors. I guess he's not supposed to get out of bed for another 5 weeks. :scream: The nurses were just happy to help. He was so excited to be able to do #2 in the bathroom (tmi I know :laugh:) and to sit up in a chair and have breakfast.. he said it was great. But his pelvis is too fucked up to be putting that kind of pressure on it.

Damn it. :banghead:

I'm so glad he's doing better:hug: His excitement is just awesome, but he's gotta take it easy! lol

Ok I just had to laugh my ass off when I walked into my brothers room today. There's a big sign over his bed that says:

STRICT
BEDREST

:laugh: :silent: :shame:

I guess they're not going to staple up his stomach either. :barf: Its just so gross. Its like an inch wide open and runs all the way down his stomach in like a squiggly line (they cut around his belly button :der: ) It has to heal by itself to avoid infection from closing it up. The docs were looking at it today and they said it was BEAUTIFUL! :scratch: The most beautiful wound they'd ever seen. :eeklaugh: So I guess that's good. He ate a good dinner and we played checkers and dominos.

Sicy said:
The docs were looking at it today and they said it was BEAUTIFUL! :scratch:

:laugh: Doctors/Surgeons like to pat themselves on the back for the work they've done. After my father had surgery, the doc comes in and is like, "We did a really god job with those stitches!" :rolleyes: (of course this was after the staples they put in failed to hold) :laugh:

John went outside today! He called me and he's like.. 'hey.. they said I could go outside so as soon as you get here I can go'. So I left work and went straight there. They put him in this big chair with wheels.. comfy chair. There's a patio not far from his room. As soon as we got outside he was like 'oh my god I cant believe it! I'm OUT SIDE ! This is unbelievable.. I'm going to cry'. He was seriously so happy he was going to cry. It was the greatest moment. He kept telling people that walked by "Hey! Look I'm outside! :wave: " :laugh: "I'm eating a popsicle OUT SIDE ! " "Look at the sky! Oh my god.. I can smell the flowers" He had the biggest smile on his face.. I havent seen him smile since he's been in the hospital. So we played some dominos outside for a while.. about an hour then went back so he could have dinner. As we were going back down the hall he was telling all the nurses on the way "I was just OUTSIDE !! :wave: I cant believe it.. its unfrigginbelievable." So awesome. While he waited for dinner he put the sheet over his head and he's like "I'm going to dream about outside while I wait for dinner". :lol:

I'm so glad he appreciates little things now. He thanked god and jesus when we were outside. He knows its a miricle he's alive and doing well.

Oh yeah..... he almost made his physical therapist cry today.

I guess she had him bend his left arm up over his head.. and it went a bit too far and made a pop and he was in pain and he got mad and told her he wanted to punch her in the face.

:ohmy: :laugh:

:slant: its really not that funny i guess

YAY! He went outside! It must feel unbelievable to breath fresh air after being cooped up in a hospital for so long now.

Physical therapy has gotta hurt. :( Poor dude. I can't believe they got mad at him the other day for sitting in a chair and now they are bending his arm over his head? :huh: Damn!

:wave: Hi John!!! I am so glad you went outside!

i'm so glad john is doing so much better!! and i'm happy he went outside and that he is being so funny ( and even that he made that lady cry kind of ). :silent:

you need good news in your life. :)

Sicy I just saw this thread! I am so sorry...guess I should venture around this palce a bit more...I am so happy to hear your brother is doing better, I've been sitting here reading his story for the past half hour. I am so glad he got to go outside! Hospitals can be so confining...he'll probably want to go outside everyday! :)

Sicy said:
'oh my god I cant believe it! I'm OUT SIDE ! This is unbelievable.. I'm going to cry'. He was seriously so happy he was going to cry. It was the greatest moment. He kept telling people that walked by "Hey! Look I'm outside! :wave: " :laugh: "I'm eating a popsicle OUT SIDE ! " "Look at the sky! Oh my god.. I can smell the flowers"

It's the simplest pleasures in life we all seem to take for granted :sad:

:hug:

Where have I been?!

I'm so glad to hear that he's doing much better now! I've just read this thread from the first to the last post and this really is amazing...

Wish he could get out of the hospital soon! :)

Wow! I only just saw this thread too... what an amazing story.
Big hugs to you and your brother! I'm so happy things are going well now! :yes: :laugh:

My thoughts are with you as well, I'm sure everything will be fine. :)

Hugs!

Alison

Sicy - I'm sooooooo happy that things are going better for you. His 'outside' story is AMAZING! Thsi thread blows my mind. I check it all the time, always hoping for good news.

John - You've got all of Interference pulling for you here. Keep it up :)

BTW- when's the nerve graph?

-------------------------

Mom update: She's outta the hospital, in w/ my grandmother for 2 weeks (no stairs, plus she'll have someone to wait on her hand and foot 24/7). She's on these terribly painful iron injections everyday for two weeks (home care, thank you). At leat she's home though.

Last week she developed some sort of infection. It's from overuse of antibiotics. So they're giving her MORE antibiotics to treat this.

Some explain the logic to me.

He really likes to go outside. Its been hot though lately so he only stays out for like an hour or so.

The nerve graph wont be for another 4 weeks. Hope that goes ok and he'll be able to use his arm/hand again. They took the bledsoe brace off his arm. He said that they said it was deforming his arm :confused: so he just has a bandage thing on his elbow. He cant move it very much though.

He keeps getting the nurses to help him walk to the bathroom. :| It kinda pisses me off that they would do that because there's only a big fat sign above his bed saying Strict Bedrest. But he says he cant do #2 in the bedpan.. he has no problems on the toilet. But if he keeps doing that its going to fuck up his pelvis. He's not supposed to put any weight on it.

I'm glad your mom is home now. Yeah they're giving my brother more blood thinning medicine after I think that caused the ulcers the first time but I guess its better than getting blood clots.

He was sweet today. He thanked me for coming everyday and helping him and visiting and that he really appreciates it. :)

I think they're going to give him a commode to go to the bathroom. It would be better than having him walk. :shame:

this is so great Sicy. Your brother seems to be making great strides and I am really happy for your family. It will be awesome the day that your brother walks out of the hospital......hoping that happens as soon as possible.

I wish these people would make up their minds. The docs just told me today that they're moving my brother to a rehab center. Tomorrow. Actually.. its a convalescent home! :huh: :confused: I really dont know. Arent convalescent homes for old people? And its like a half hour away. :rant: I guess since he has no insurance we have to take what we can get but I dunno I should be happy the docs said because this is a step.. but I just feel weird.. plus I read some shady shit on a website where they caused some kind of harm in at least 2 incidents. :eyebrow: They say there's really no reason for him to be in a hospital right now. I guess they'll take him back when he has his nerve graph. Meh.. I just feel safer if he's in the hospital but I guess the docs know what's best.

edit: ok I'm so confused.. now I just read that it's ranked # 2 in our area. :sigh: *throws the internet out the window

Sicy said:
They say there's really no reason for him to be in a hospital right now.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. No reasoon for him to be there??!?! Yet he has a sign above his bed that states he's to have strict bedrest!? :eyebrow:
I am sure he will be looked after well in the new place, but it just sucks to move him, and to move him a 1/2 hr away from his sis. :coocoo:

I know I know.. I had the same reaction. But this is like a hospital sorta, they have nurses and medical people. He doesnt really need round the clock care. He just needs to sit there and heal. They'll know that he cant get out of bed. They'll know they have to change his dressings and give him his medications. I'm sure half the people there are bed ridden. They'll start some kind of physical therapy on him. He'll probly get more attention at this place. I dunno I have to see it and check it out. Believe me, if I'm not happy and he's not happy something will be done about it.

It may seem strange that he's going into a "nursing home" however, that might be best for him. Depending on the size, he might get better one on one care with the nurses. This is scary, but two incidents really is a small number. I know there should be no incidents, but if there are staff member(s) who are abusive, that number would be much much higher. Also look into what the incidents were (if there is info on it), it could be something that was non intentional on the part of the staff. If you are still concerned go over there yourself and talk to the staff and see if you can talk to some of the patients. Take a look around the place, look for it's cleaniliness and if the building is in good repair. If you don't like what you see over there, look into other facilities and if you find a better one, transfer him there.

Sicy, years ago my dad (who was a very large man) had broken his leg. Because of his size it was impossible for us to take care of him at home so they put him in a nursing home for rehabilitation. At the time he was only 52 so we were all upset that he was going to be in a "nursing home".

It turns out that the floor he was on was strictly for rehabilition, and there were alot of young people on that floor with him (young-as in 20 year olds). So, hopefully if this place your brother is going to is the same than I guess it shouldn't be that bad for him.

Good luck no matter what happens.

:hug:

Sicy that is great news!

Convalescent home is basically another way of saying long term care. Most people associate it with old age and nursing homes... but while you're brother isnt ready to be out on his own, he doesnt need the kind of acute care that he was getting in the hospital while he was still medically unstable. And also, this will open up a space there for someone else that needs the care that John got when he was first hurt. At this place it will focus more on his rehab and working towards getting him back to where he was before the accident - I'm sure working with physical therapists, occupational therapists and the like. He'll still have around the clock care, and at places like these, the nurses and caregivers etc tend to have much more knowledge and experience as to when and what he should be moving around etc... so that's a good thing as well. I'm so glad to here that he's gotten as far as he has! :D

Thanks you guys. Sounds good. It will be nice if there are some guys his age around there.

They took him right now... and I'm stuck at work. :rant:

Back
Top Bottom