2 Men I Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My father and my husband...you know that already eh?

My mother gave me a start yesterday. She rang and would only say "Buy the newspaper today!!"
Big mystery??? I thought I may have won a "Splendour in the Grass" ticket, but then recalled that isn't announced until today. So when I went to town later that day...I bought the paper.

There is a colour photo of my father on the front page and an interview with him inside. It is regarding coastal development, and he is one of the oldest locals there now. It is planned for the population of my home town to quadruple in the next 15 years:( There were 159 ppl there when dad bought our house, they are planning for 20 000 in 2020.
** it happens I know, but still :(
What I am confessing though, is the shock I felt when I looked at the pic of my dad. When I see him in person, he is dad, elderly , but dad. Seeing him in the paper..he looked SOOOOOO old and frail. It was a bit of a shock.

And the day wasn't done with shocks....it could have been worse but still...
Let me start by saying my hub is dead scared of doctors and needles and things medical. A few weeks ago I mentioned a lump under my arm ( it's nothing) he said "my lump hurts from time to time"
WHAT LUMP??!!!
I immediately made a doctor's appointment( for us both, just so he'd go) He had an ultrasound( I made jokes about wanting the picture, ooh la la) and bloodtests( big thing for a man who HATES needles). He has a hernia, a nasty one:(
He works so hard, bass player and sound man, lugging heavy PA's around( anyone in a band, especially a bass player, knows the weight of the gear) He does a lot of heavy work here at our home too, always working on old cars, cutting trees for firewood, shifting rocks, making cement in a wheelbarrow for my garden landscaping ideas. We have built a fence in very steep rocky country over the past year ...all heavy work. As it turns out he can remember the moment it first happened. 2 YEARS AGO!!We have a "stand-alone" house( solar and gas energy) The gas comes in 100 pound cannisters and it was when he was lifting one of those into the cars ( yes , we have 3 teenage sons, but they don't help very often...boy , they sure will have to now).
So he's fixable with an operation, thank goodness. My first concern was testicular cancer, it is quite common.

So I suppose I'm venting my concern and saying....
BOYS, don't keep those kind of secrets, if you're hurting
PLEASE , say so.
we love you so much, we wouldn't want to lose any of you.

Bend those knees, use a trolley, ask for help.

Bit of a heavy post sorry, old age and medical problems..

on a happier note, my great-nephew Elijah is out of intensive care an in a hospiatl nearer to his home yet. He still has a bit of growing to do, but he's OK.

Peace musiclovers:larry: :adam: :bono: :hug: :edge: :hug:
that smilie looks much more like my husband than EdgeI :heart: it

I experienced a similar sort of shock last month when I took my dad out for father's day. He's been losing his hair steadily ever since I can recall, but when I saw him I had to stop myself from tearing up. He had decided to stop combing his hair back, and is now doing the part on either side, with almost no hair in between. It really shocked me to see him look so much older. :(

Take care of those two, cass. :hug:

cass said:
Bend those knees, use a trolley, ask for help.

With my new job (and career), I have learned sooo much about proper lifting techniques to dsve your back (and hernia stuff too). Not only bending the knees, but also keeping the curves in the back.

And this should turn into a regular habit for EVERYTHING, whether you are brushing your teeth (your head becomes 10 times its weight when you bend over, with all of the pressure going to your back) to lifting a golf tee to lifting 30 70-pound bags headed to Korea.

I wish your husband well!

I'm so glad its not cancer Cass. :hug: You watch over him and make sure he doesn't do anything silly. Hernias aren't to be shrugged off.

Its a pity too about your hometown. You live in a beautiful part of the country though, and like most places, the stinking developers eventually move in. When I left Katoomba, the debate was still raging between McDonalds, the council and the greenies over the possibility of a McD's opening up. One day the whole place will be bulldozed and you'll see high rise apartment blocks with fantastic views of the 3 Sisters and valleys.

:sigh:

:) Yay for the lump being treatable and Elijah doing better!

:hug: And good luck to both cass men.

thanx for your concern guys. I think y'all helped Elijah thru

funny thing Salome...."take care"
when I have said it recently, I think it is an abbreviated form of "take care of yourself".
I was listening to the Live Bonnie Raitt CD I got recently and was beautifully struck by what she said at the end of the concert..
"Take care of one another"
I think that is a much better sentiment..I plan to adopt it and use it in my signature here when I have more 'puter time.

I started a new novel yesterday, the first two chapters knocked my socks off with it's timing and all. Set in 19th century Appalachians, the main character , a young girl watches the death of her little brother and father. It was sad and well writtem imho. She says something like no matter what happens in the human world, the beauty of nature remains...true about my home town, most places.

Your job/studies sound interesting zonelistener. OH&S, I'm glad it is more considered these days.
martha, you are so wise:yes:

bluephisto, my mother adopts that attitude, soldier on no matter what. I think it's Ok to hurt and cry sometimes. She freaks out if anyone gets all emotional, for good reasons I know, but sometimes I wish she would just....ack what am I complaining about?Sh'e a living treasure:)
Thanx again y'all:hug:

Back
Top Bottom