your worst injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^one can also be an ass in pain...one of the few minorities in the world overlooked these days:p

I trapped my right pinky finger in a door way when I was about 3. A gust of wind blew the door shut on my finger. I don't really remember it but it must have really hurt as it took the top of my finger off. :|

That happened to me when I was 8 (except it was my right middle finger and my brother who shut the door on my finger accidentally).

I remember it, and yeah it really did hurt :yes:. The tip was sewed back on at the hospital.

worst injury? probably getting shot in the head when i was 15. bullet is still lodged in my skull, too deep to be removed.
you know those long tubular flourescent bulbs? i had a broken one lodged in my left palm, while part of the jagged edge was sticking out the other side.
fell down once, about 10 ft. on the way down fractured 3 ribs.
stepped of a platform at a bad angle and dislocated my knee. the painful part was when i "popped" the knee back in place. couldn't walk for 2-3 after that.

I had some good skating injuries; I got kicked in the knee at an official practice at Eastern Synchronized Skating Championships one time and bled all over my tights for the rest of that practice and the unofficial one that followed. The best was my concussion. We were in a circle which was to open up to a line. I was the person on the end that would whip and straighten out the line. If the circle broke properly, I would be able to handle the whip, and just go along smoothly in the line. Instead, it broke too early, I was thrown off, and I slid into the boards head first at 25 mph. I jumped right back up so the coach wouldn't yell at me, got back in line, and soon enough I was running off the ice for the bathroom and they tell me I was pretty sick, but I don't really remember. I remember the Zamboni driver carrying me to my mom's car.

My worst injury was at a Stars on Ice show when I got up to go to the ladies' room and tripped face first into the cement staircase at the Hartford Civic Center. I'll never forget the funny feeling in my mouth and my boyfriend at the time picking my right front tooth up off the floor. That led to two years of dental torture...oral surgery to put a post for a fake tooth into my upper jaw, root canals, a round of braces...and now an irrational fear of the dentist to boot.

Other than those, I've done well for being a synchronized skating-obsessed klutz.

First one was a volleyball play I had no chance of getting, but went for it anyway. Landed on my knee and screamed. But I was tough and worked through it. First mistake. Second knee problem was on a fall in a parking lot pot hole. My knee hit a very jagged hard edge. That was on the opposite knee.
I've had 2 knee replacement surgeries in 6 years.
Doing great now, but my range is a bit limited, especially if I try to bend my leg too far back.

Vacations and I didn't get along for 2 years in a row.

2005 ~ 20 minutes before I was to begin my vacation I was on the dock at work explaining something to a co-worker. A large box full off mdse. fell into a cart and the cart flew into my hand. Ouch. Went into denial mode. Left work and came home and iced it. Headed to the U2 concert in Chicago on May 7. A nice little bruise had formed on the inside of my hand. Alternately iced and wrapped my hand. Tried clapping at the concert.......decided yelling and screaming was better. Went to urgent care when I got home ~x-rays, broken hand, cast. Fun. Employer paid for that :up:

2006 ~ Tibial Plateau frature involving both plateaus with intra-articular extension. I think the mug I gave to my OS with the picture of my CT scan sums it up best:
How I met Dr. .........
Went to Hawaii, jumped onto Lanikai Beach, landed WRONG (oh, so very wrong), try not to pass out, sit in Don Ho's beach chair, ride in ambulance (no siren, LOTS of potholes which resulted in EMT giving LOTS of apologies), X-rays (ouch), X-ray results ~ tibial plateau fracture (I have a tibial plateau??!?!!, immobilizer, NWB-ing, crutches, vicodin, motrin, fly home, urgent care, Dr. ......., CT scan ~ Hello Dr. .........

OS liked the mug.

2 years later I can still say that the tpfx and its after effects are not fun.

Hmm...The first one is great. I was playing slow pitch softball and someone hit a high fly ball to center field. Honestly, I was going to catch it....until that darn 12 foot tall chain link fence got in the way. My brother's friend from college saw it happen. As I was lying down on a stretcher(whiplash big time), he said, "Dude, I have never seen a fence bend as far in as you made that one bend." I ran into it and it threw me back from the fence a good 10 feet. I had scratches on the top of my head down to my chin. I had iron in my tooth enamel. It was great.

Otherwise, one time I got dropped 12 feet by the people who were supposed to support me as I rock climbed. It was great because it was supposed to be a "trust building" activity. Um, oops?

Great thread!

I fell out of the car when I was about 4. The door wasn't closed all the way and I was leaning against it in the backseat so when my mom went around a corner, out I tumbled and got pretty scraped and bruised. Thankfully it was a quiet residential street and there was no other traffic.

I've sprained both wrists, knees and ankles playing sports - basketball, field hockey in high school that has now turned into painful arthritis.

Worst pain EVER was a ruptured ovarian cyst.

When I worked as a housekeeper I fell off the kitchen sink while cleaning the windows. I landed on my back and thought I got off lightly when I realised that I caught the edge of the stove with my elbow while falling and lost a small chunk of flesh off the tip.

Also, I once slipped in the bathroom and fell arms first into the tub full of hot water. I spent the night in excruciating pain and then watched the skin peel off my arms for the next two weeks or so.

Riding a bike I was hit blindside by a car doing 50+mph. My body smashed out the cars windsheild then flew over the top of the car and I landed in the street behind the car. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks: Broken collar bone, dislocated shoulder, cut above the eye, and a smashed ankle that needed surgery to put in a screw to hold it back together. I was actually really really lucky :) (The doctors said the fact that I never saw it coming probably saved my life.)

Riding a bike I was hit blindside by a car doing 50+mph. My body smashed out the cars windsheild then flew over the top of the car and I landed in the street behind the car. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks: Broken collar bone, dislocated shoulder, cut above the eye, and a smashed ankle that needed surgery to put in a screw to hold it back together. I was actually really really lucky :) (The doctors said the fact that I never saw it coming probably saved my life.)

:hug: OMG! Sounds like you are lucky to have survived that! :hug:

When I was skiing in Colorado a few years ago, they made the ski's and boot's too tight. I had a massive fall, and when my ski should have come away from one of the boots it didn't :| My knee twisted completely out of its socket and, needless to say, dislocated. Worst pain I've ever experienced, when they were taking me to the hospital I was in a right state. But then flying home the next day first class made up for it :up:

:scream: :scream: that's the ultimate nightmare for me, and I'm going to ski in 2 weeks...

i guess fracturing my knee. that really hurt.

Yikes, hope that's all better. :up:

Looking back, I'm shocked I didn't break anything riding my bike as a kid. I took plenty of spills, most of them without a helmet on, and the worst I ever came away with was some nasty road rash.

Sounds like a few of my exploits. The most memorable one occurred on a beautifully sunny day. I was speeding along, helmetless, on my bike. While making the routine entry to the beach, which just happened to be at the bottom of very large hill, I spotted my cousin's roaming Irish Setter. I applied the brakes, but it was too late. She also spotted me, but instead of moving out of the way, she cowered on the road, and became the speed bump from hell. I just remember rocketing into the air, and landing in a miserable heap. Fortunately, neither of us was badly injured--I had the biggest bruise on my arse for about a month, but that was it.

Aside from that near-miss, the worst injury I've had is a bad ankle sprain, from playing basketball. I did the same one twice, in back-to-back summers, which royally sucked.

At 6 I hit my chin on a pool edge that was broken, and had to get 6 stiches.
At 9 my sister threw a very large and heavy glass ashtray at me and hit me right between the eyes, I have a scar on the bridge of my nose.
Also my other sister hit me in the forehead with a metal mace, knocked me the fuck out.
Nice little scar there.

I was in a car accident when I was 13, my head hit something (the dash maybe?),
but blood was splattered around the car as it was spinning, and then we were hit again, and it bashed me against the door pretty good.
I have a scar on my left eyebrow that looks awful.

When I was 14 I pulled a stuck door shut too hard and didn't move my fingers in time, the tip of my left ring finger is gone, and a chunk of the middle was torn pretty bad.

Plenty of surgeries for various things, but the most painful is one that happened during a molestation at age 8 by a family member.
His 'actions' caused 2 discs in my lower back to dislocate and protrude, and I have been in pain everyday since.
(Since I never told anyone, I never received care for it.)

Anyone ever had a cardboard paper cut?...
Excrutiating!

(re-reading this, the head injuries should pretty much grant me immunity from responsibility for any of my actions thereafter :lmao: )

I was in a car accident when I was 13, my head hit something (the dash maybe?),
but blood was splattered around the car as it was spinning, and then we were hit again, and it bashed me against the door pretty good.
I have a scar on my left eyebrow that looks awful.

that is some scary shit. i've been a few accidents and surprisingly never been hurt. about 2 yrs ago me and my car took a 120mph dive into another car. i pushed the other car about 40-50ft before coming to a stop, hitting 2 other cars and ripping their back ends off on the way. guess what? not a scratch. got right out and walked away.

I was talking about this thread with my sister and she remembered when I got my hand slammed in the car door. Apparently my screaming and the blood and bruised hand of mine gave her nightmares and she's never forgotten that. I had forgotten it till now! :ohmy:

:ohmy:

:scratch:

I'm trying to figure out how a car does a 120mph dive.

step1: get a car
step2: pick a target
step3: get it up to 120mph
step4: make sure your target is parked at an angle lower than the one your traveling on.
step5: lose control of your car.
step6: enjoy the crash.

if done correctly then your car should look like this.

556819196_b5229eadc5_o.jpg

Twisted my left ankle pretty good when I was seven. Had a cast for two weeks. Then I was supposed to take it easy and put some ice on it. Did I do that? Nope. Biked around, skated around...Since then, I'm always twisting it and pain everyday. Doctors don't want to operate since I'm only 17 :rolleyes:

Have trouble with the other ankle too...busted both my knees doing sports. Crutches are my best friends. Played hockey tonight and hurt my left knee doing this weird splitting movement :huh:

Worst must be my concussion from a hockey game. I was just standing there and this girl skated right into me. Passed out for about five seconds...got up, continued playing for two months before going to the hospital.

I always get hurt, but I never stop :shrug:

never had anything too major other than minor sprains but currently, I burned my entire left elbow in the oven today at work right at the start of my 10 hour shift :angry: :sad: It still hurts :(

Back
Top Bottom