White Collar Anguish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
Does anyone else in here work in a white collar world? If so, do you feel constantly mentally fatigued? Underpaid? Unchallenged? Unfulfilled? In thrall to lesser people? Stigmatized by factory workers or construction workers or meter maids or the custodial staff that makes you stop typing that report at 8pm so they can empty your trash?

I want to know that I'm not alone.

I want to know that my pain is not a solo act.

I want to know that you, too, wear a tie but know that it's really a leash.

I want to know that I'm not the only upwardly mobile person that has a sad song to sing.

I want everyone to know that professionals like me have feelings, too.

Yeah, man, it's hard. I heard some coal miners complaining about lack of oxygen and shit, but, dude, you try dealing with the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome, or, worse, one of the water coolers here dispenses luke warm water. How the fuck am I supposed to do my corporate magic if I'm slightly dehydrated!?!?!?

Sometimes, just for laughs, we call the custodial staff in @ 7am and tell them we're cutting their pay. And there's only going to be 5 openings and since there's currently 12 on staff, they have to fight to the death for those positions. lol. We usually stop it by the 3rd or 4th round and then we're like, "Ahhhh, we're just fuckin with ya. Back to work....Oh - wait - we are, however, cutting your pay." HAHA.

It sounds mean, but you have to let off that stress somehow. That shit will kill ya.

I once took the toner, and gave it a good shake, everyone knows that trick. Except, I hurt my wrist a little bit and had trouble waving hi to people across the hall for the rest of the day. That day sucked.

No spoken words said:
I once took the toner, and gave it a good shake, everyone knows that trick. Except, I hurt my wrist a little bit and had trouble waving hi to people across the hall for the rest of the day. That day sucked.

Oooooh - Ouch. I've been there. Really leave yourself open for a rubber band attack in that state. You gotta hold papers and switch to the head nod - otherwise they'll see you're down a wrist, and then they will show ZERO mercy. "Hey, where should I dump the chads from my hole puncher?" "How bout right there on NSWs desk. He's only got one wrist, most he can do is a ruler swat at this point. And since I took his ruler, you're home free! w00t!"

I've had that happen, too. I wrote a Haiku about it, such was the impact the pain had on me:

Skin barely open
But the blood keeps on flowing
Fucking paper cuts

I am now going to roll my sleeves up, to signal to everyone around here that I'm working really hard.

UberBeaver said:

Oooooh - Ouch. I've been there. Really leave yourself open for a rubber band attack in that state. You gotta hold papers and switch to the head nod - otherwise they'll see you're down a wrist, and then they will show ZERO mercy. "Hey, where should I dump the chads from my hole puncher?" "How bout right there on NSWs desk. He's only got one wrist, most he can do is a ruler swat at this point. And since I took his ruler, you're home free! w00t!"

See?

You know.

You KNOW.

No spoken words said:
I am now going to roll my sleeves up, to signal to everyone around here that I'm working really hard.

Good call. I'm gonna rub my temples and blink a lot like I've been concentrating too hard. Probably breathe real deep and clear my throat, just to put those around me on notice, son.

You should all have a group viewing of 'Office Space'. You can take advantage of its famous duality - you know, the duality where if you've never worked in an office environment, it's hilariously funny in a ha-ha way, and if you have worked or are working in an office environment, it's hilariously funny in a sad 'I'm laughing to prevent myself from crying because it's so damn true' kind of way.

Either way, classic film.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from Ryan The Temp of the The Office that I live by lately:

"If I had to, I could clean out my desk in 5 seconds and nobody would know I had ever been here. And I'd forget too."

Peter Gibbons: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you'd do if you had a million dollars and you didn't have to work. And invariably what you'd say was supposed to be your career. So, if you wanted to fix old cars then you're supposed to be an auto mechanic.
Samir: So what did you say?
Peter Gibbons: I never had an answer. I guess that's why I'm working at Initech.

So to all those white collar slaves, if you had to do it differently what would you rather be doing; providing that you still had to financially support yourself. Firefighter? Lumberjack? Entrepreneur? Author?

I'd do author. I think I may have the skills, but I know I don't have the discipline.

So to all those white collar slaves, if you had to do it differently what would you rather be doing - all things being equal; same pay, same benefits & providing that you still had to financially support yourself. Firefighter? Lumberjack? Entrepreneur? Author?

I'd do author. I think I may have the skills, but I know I don't have the discipline.

Or maybe I'd just double post for a living.

unico said:
i love my field of work. but...perhaps my job doesn't fit under the typical "white collar" label. i guess i'm more business casual. i do have an office to myself though, that's kinda hot.

I have a "cubical" all to myself... although the walls aren't very high and I sit in front of the printer/fax machine so every bozo here has to walk by my desk and "borrow" my pen... :angry:

Random co-worker (looks at my picture from the U2 concert): Wow, you must really like U2, who is your favorite?
Me: I dunno, I like them all...
Co-worker: I don't really like them all that much, Bone-O is kind of annoying... I like that Ipod song...
Me: :mad:

elevated_u2_fan said:

I have a "cubical" all to myself... although the walls aren't very high and I sit in front of the printer/fax machine so every bozo here has to walk by my desk and "borrow" my pen... :angry:

Random co-worker (looks at my picture from the U2 concert): Wow, you must really like U2, who is your favorite?
Me: I dunno, I like them all...
Co-worker: I don't really like them all that much, Bone-O is kind of annoying... I like that Ipod song...
Me: :mad:

:lol: i can't even think of a smartass reply to that one for you. i think i'd get tired of hearing it over and over again.

i need a u2 poster in my office.

Back
Top Bottom