Which American accent do you have? Quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Results:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

I have never been anywhere east of Colorado . . . and then I was only vacationing. I'm a born, raised and rooted Southern California boy to the core. Hmmmmm . . . . interesting results.

Last edited:
Midland. I'm from California. Most people here have a midland accent, to pick out the California accents they need to ask how often you say the word "like" :wink:.

Got Philk? said:

Hey, I have to drive right thru Michigan City to get to my parents in Joliet, IL

Stop by Quiznos next time you pass through :lol:

And I realize I live closer to Michigan, but...let's just say Michigan and I don't get along so well :uhoh:

Which American accent do you have?
Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

Pegged me perfectly!

Western

full_240673695.jpg

Of all the American accents, is the Northeast New England one the closest to the British accent? If so, then it makes perfect sense. Indian accent is most influenced by the British accent obviously.. since the bastards ruled us!

I took that bullshit accent test just now and those fuckers told me I have a "Western" accent.

This test is now officially null and void.

I just retook the test for you and it said:

You sound like Stephen Hawkings cause Dalton is about to rip out your fucking throat.

Hurts don't it.

Hey, Stephen Hawking's voice has gotten him a lot of tail over the years so I'd be cool with that.

lido.jpg

Of all the American accents, is the Northeast New England one the closest to the British accent?
Generally yes, assuming by 'British' you basically mean eastern England.

To my ear the British influence is much more obvious in Indian English (pretty much regardless of subdialect) than in American English, but that could just be because I'm American and tend to hear all American accents relative to 'General American' English. Not that all international dialects of English aren't ultimately 'British-influenced' of course...lol.

Last edited:
Well they got that right!

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

neutral.

i'd actually be interested in knowing what accent i have, as i seem to get... plenty of comments on it.

Neutral.

I always get Canadian, Irish, Australian ( :huh: ), or 'British person who spent some time in America or watches a lot of American TV.'

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before

which is surprising to me since I have a slight Latin accent.:wink:

not to mention my somewhat noticable lisp when i say words with the letter S :)

My Results:

Northern You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

That's about right, even though I was born and raised in NYC...whenever I go places people tell me that I don't sound like a New Yawker and I've always thought myself to have more of a generic Northern accent. Not sure how I escaped a Noo Yawk accent as my dad and brother and sister all have Bronx accents of varying degrees; I guess I take after my mother who also has a more generic Northern accent (she's from Manhattan).

Back
Top Bottom