Starting Up an Internet Band...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone interested, please apply.

I was in a band at home, but since I have moved, I have been working long hours and unable to get a band together in Canberra.

Basically I am looking for willing participants who have reasonably regular access to the net, email etc, have sufficient gear to record sound (at least a program like audacity or garageband, mic, instruments) and are willing to put in a handful of hours a week.

The idea would be that we get a drummer, 2 guitarists (of which I will be one), a bass player, a singer (if neither guitarist can sing) and possibly a keys player.

Anyone in the band can start a musical idea. If they get a moment of inspiration, record it straight away and send it to the band. Attach the song as an mp3 in an email that describes the song, the basic idea, chords etc. Hopefully then, each member will work at adding to it based on the wishes of the originator, adding music for their instruments and sending it to the band. The band will be democratic, and I only want people who will not get upset at others suggestions. They will take on feedback, defend ideas they are sure of, but the decisions will be democratic.

The overall idea is to develop a body of songs, no specific purpose, but for the love of the music.

So register your interest, availability etc.

Just as an idea, looking for people of intermediate abilities/experience. Also, if you play anything else (violin etc) please let me know, because, depending on the stylistic direction of the band, we may require additional instruments for some songs.

Cheers,

Dan

man, i really really wish i could. i just don't know if i have the time for it.

That's cool. We can always have a couple of silent members. By that i mean people that are on the band's "mailing list" that can add to things when they can

That's an excellent idea, Dan. :up:

I won't be participating but I do want to say that I hope you get some people on here that are willing to participate and I wish you guys good luck and hope you come up with some kickass tunes. One important (very important) thing is, of course, the band name. You gotta have a good band name. Any ideas?

That's cool. We can always have a couple of silent members. By that i mean people that are on the band's "mailing list" that can add to things when they can

that would be cool. i try to play guitar about twice a week, and i do use gearbox on my computer, so i'd always be willing to add a little something. :)

great idea!

Awesome. We have our first member!

As for the name, I will take suggestions here and maybe run a poll? Either that or band members can PM me suggestions. Mikal, can you PM me your email address?

Names I have been thinking of

Blue Craic
Interference
Reboot Yourself
The Blue Crack Collection (courtesy of mikal)

feel free to add suggestions

LOL. very appropriate.

I love the idea of people from all over the world contributing to this. Kind of a poetic union of U2 fans from all over the globe.

Perhaps we should submit some of our recordings to U2's label or principle management to put them to the band, pitching it as a collection of U2 fans, brought together by a love of their music, and inspired to create our own from all corners of the globe.

LOL. very appropriate.

I love the idea of people from all over the world contributing to this. Kind of a poetic union of U2 fans from all over the globe.

Perhaps we should submit some of our recordings to U2's label or principle management to put them to the band, pitching it as a collection of U2 fans, brought together by a love of their music, and inspired to create our own from all corners of the globe.

:up:

When I get home I will send you some of my home demos.

I have a few songs in various stages of completeness, some fully equipped with synth strings (tacky!)

nice! i'll give them a good listen on Wednesday, play along with them for a few days, and send something back to you.

The idea would be that we get a drummer, 2 guitarists (of which I will be one), a bass player, a singer (if neither guitarist can sing) and possibly a keys player.

You won't let the bass player sing? :sad:

I wish I were musically inclined, I'd be in. Cool idea, and good luck! :up:

Maybe I can write a song for the band. It would likely be called "Ultra-kick Osaka 3001". Feel free to use that as the band name if you like.

You won't let the bass player sing? :sad:

Haha, of course they can. anyone can, the drummer, keys player, anyone who actually can sing!

I wish I were musically inclined, I'd be in. Cool idea, and good luck! :up:

Maybe I can write a song for the band. It would likely be called "Ultra-kick Osaka 3001". Feel free to use that as the band name if you like.

Yes, most certainly write us a song!

nice! i'll give them a good listen on Wednesday, play along with them for a few days, and send something back to you.

sweet. I will also send you a few songs from my old band. (the lead singer/chief lyric writer was an Oasis fan, I'm sure you will be able to pick that up!)

anyone who wants to apply/send me samples or anything like that can email me at dan.smee [at] gmail.com

haha, I have no preference on male or female vocals. email me if you are genuinely intersted and if you can, send me something with you singing

Would you be willing to belt out "Ultra-kick Osaka 3001"?

i will, and it will blow the fucking roof!

haha, I have no preference on male or female vocals. email me if you are genuinely intersted and if you can, send me something with you singing

i'm working on a vid right now so i can cook up something for you while i'm at it.

So I take it that's a ballad?

If by "ballad" you meant "bad-ass", then "yes", it's a ballad.

Unless you consider songs about robots, Osaka, martial arts, interference, the future, chase scenes, beat downs, dunking on fools and late-night pizza to not be bad-ass, that is.

Do you need a manager? I can do that. :wink:

How about this for a band name: Static Setlist or, alternatively, Setlist Bitchers.

Haha, might be the easiest managers job in the world while we write material, no gigs to organise... it may turn in to a nightmare in a few years though@! :lol:

i will, and it will blow the fucking roof!

i'm working on a vid right now so i can cook up something for you while i'm at it.

Awesome. I want to avoid this turning into a straight out selection process, so everyone who genuinely wants to be a singer in this band can submit something to me and barring a total catastrophe we will co-opt them to at elast do back-up on some songs

If by "ballad" you meant "bad-ass", then "yes", it's a ballad.

Unless you consider songs about robots, Osaka, martial arts, interference, the future, chase scenes, beat downs, dunking on fools and late-night pizza to not be bad-ass, that is.

that sounds like one hell of a tune. let me know when it's done!

Is it bad that whenever I see the title of this thread I get an irresistible urge to belt out "we're an internet band...woooo!" to the tune of Grand Funk Railroad's "We're an American Band"? :)

Back
Top Bottom