"Some people out there in our nation don't have maps"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeattleVertigo said:
I think I'll call myself a Seattle-American.

:hmm:

I think I'll call myself a...Montreal-Canadian!

Yes, only in my dreams. :wink:

35-73562-P.jpg

zonelistener said:
What is an U.S. American?

Maybe she meant "us Americans" but then for a brief moment thought she was back in the spelling bee her parents probably forced her into when she was ten, so she had a temporary freak about and started spelling shit?

Does anyone know where she placed? Anything above 50 is just sad. Maps.

UberBeaver said:

Maybe she meant "us Americans" but then for a brief moment thought she was back in the spelling bee her parents probably forced her into when she was ten, so she had a temporary freak about and started spelling shit?

Sadly, she probably started doing beauty pageants at the age of three and never had time for spelling bees, or her geography homework.

Head In A Suitcase she is 18. "Very Nice"

COLUMBIA, S.C. - This time, the question was a little easier for Miss Teen South Carolina. After being stumped by a Miss Teen USA pageant question on live television Friday night, Lauren Caitlin Upton's confused, mangled response has been drawing a lot of attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 18-year-old got a chance to redeem herself Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show when she was again asked why one-fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a map.

"I would love to re-answer that question," Upton said. "Well personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on our map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. And if the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography."

That was much better than her previous response, which included "U.S. Americans" and mentions of South Africa and "the Iraq."

A YouTube video of Upton has drawn a couple million hits and thousands of comments, many of them with harsh remarks for the Lexington High School graduate who plans to attend Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C.

Upton was taking her flubbed answer — and the attention — in stride.

"Everything did come at me at once. I was overwhelmed and I made a mistake. Everybody makes a mistake. I'm human," she said Tuesday. "I seriously think I only heard about one or two words of the actual question."

Upton's former principal Creig Tyler remembered her as a well-rounded student.

"She took college-prep and honors courses and performed well," Tyler told The (Columbia) State newspaper.

Miss Teen Colorado Hilary Carol Cruz won the crown. Upton was third runner-up.

___

NBC is owned by General Electric Co.

:wink: Well.....at least Miss CO. won!!! YEah! Yeah, I was thinking when she was talking 'she sounds just like a 'VAlley Girl' but then she would have had to be from CA.! lol! Oh well.....she was right about needing education!!!!!!!!!!:yes: :uhoh:

classic! i felt obliged to include this clip and a commentary on my myspace page:

I post the above clip, not with the intention to perpetuate the already tarnished reputation of America's "youth", nor that of blondes (coincidental, right?), but, rather, to turn your attention to the esoteric reality of this contestant's answer. Her nonsensical, disoriented response was purposeful! It was ironic, if you will! She morphed herself into a palpable representative of the class of society the question itself was targeting. She wanted America, and more importantly, all of those impressionable young girls glued to their LCD flat screen tv sets--simutaneously accessorizing their Bratz dolls--to witness, first-hand, the pitifully imbecilic creatures they are on course to become within the context of our crumbling society. It was merely a dramatized wake-up call--a scare tactic--people! Why are you unable to dig a bit deeper--re-stimulate that gray matter--and see the genius that is Miss South Carolina, Caitlin Upton?! Ok, ok, all sarcasm aside, we, as Americans, might as well begin practicing bowing down before Chinese and Indian idols. Can someone say, "Screwed!"?

:wink:

She could technically have a point with "U.S. American."

You don't have to be from the U.S. to be from the Americas (Canada, U.S., Mexico, Central America and South America are all included in it).

It's just that there's no word like "United Statesian" or something like that to further describe which part of the Americas you are from.

But I wouldn't expect her to put all of that together.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Thats what I was thinking...

How bad do you have to be to come in 50th?

I'm really curious about #50 now, was she a vegetable? Perhaps a Comunist or a Neo-Nazi?

Maybe these pageants things aren't about intelligence and talent. I, for one, am shocked.

PlaTheGreat said:
She could technically have a point with "U.S. American."

You don't have to be from the U.S. to be from the Americas (Canada, U.S., Mexico, Central America and South America are all included in it).

It's just that there's no word like "United Statesian" or something like that to further describe which part of the Americas you are from.

But I wouldn't expect her to put all of that together.

It's exactly used that way here in Germany if you want to emphasize, or make clear, that you are talking about someone from the US. Although, generally we just call them Americans, sometimes U.S. American is used.

We also normally have an article before Iraq.
icon16.gif

But since I first saw it I can't get over the iRack anymore. :D

I felt sorry for her. I think most of us have had times when our brains have just switched off. Luckily for us it hasn't happened on national tv.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

what in the hell did you just say

I'm saying that, as a beauty contestant, she's a reflection of everything we've thrown at her in society. It's simple input/output. She's probably used to hearing "I'd do her" comments, to the point where her identity is solely wrapped up in her appearance. If someone's image is constructed in such a superficial way, don't be surprised if they come undone in the slightest breeze.

ylimeU2 said:

Maybe these pageants things aren't about intelligence and talent. I, for one, am shocked.

Exactly.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I didn´t laugh the first time I saw it because I took it seriously and was trying to figure out what the hell she was trying to say.

Me either, I didn't understand the accent, though by the end I was giggling. But I've watched it probably 10 times and it gets funnier every time.

The fact that she came in fourth with this answer shows that this part of the contest was entirely irrelevant, but we all kind of knew that about pagents anyway.

She wasn't much better on the Today Show after having rehearsed quite a bit. I mean, she spoke in sentences but they were pretty inane. this article ]here[/URL]

My favorite part is the "or like such as" and of course the classic "us americans."

Ultimately she is a victim of No Child Left Behind, poor child.

I saw that clip on the E! channel last night and was staring in disbelief.... this is the girl who apparently had a 3.5 gpa in high school.

:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom