School? Academics? Jobs? Everyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtooellen

New Yorker
I'm having difficult with my schoolwork and I'd love help on several topics.

I'm hoping this can be a thread that will help everyone. :)

I was thinking that maybe we can all help each other with building resumes, finding jobs and proper ways to manage, academics-- anyone encountering problems with school, and so on and so forth.

I'm going to try and scan some of my schoolwork in and see if we can help each other out. I thought this would be the perfect place to get help from others without feeling judged.

I haven't done math for a while... maybe a good two and a half years (I took a break from school for a year) and so I was placed in College Algebra... which I'm struggling to keep up with. I also have to write a final English paper by the end of the semester that's focused on Thomas Jefferson, if the world getting better or worse, and politics involved with religion and vice versa. I'm supposed to be a sophomore in college, going onto a junior.. but I'm barely a freshman so I feel a little behind on stuff. :slant:

Like I said, I'm hoping we can all help each other in this thread. No one should feel judged or feel that someone is up on a pedestal-- after all, we are learning from each others experience and knowledge, right? :wink:
Let me know what you guys think about this thread and the possibility of it being ongoing. :up:

Last edited:
With algebra I might be able to provide a little help, but not too much. I study chemistry and struggled with the huge load of maths in the first year, but now I'm 2nd year and I do understand it better.

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in History, and I work in a high-end electronics store so I can answer questions of a historical (particularly British and North American history) or technical nature (at least when it comes to consumer electronics).

Algebra is easy youtooellen! :wink:

Anyone good at economics? LOL! -> exam in two weeks....:|

Algebra...I learn maths things then forget them as soon as I stop needing to use them. :uhoh:

If its biology, some English or environmental studies, I may be able to help with anyones issues. :)

Having applied to about 102930 jobs, :)mad:) maybe I can help with job stuff too. I know a few tips for interviews.

I screwed around on photobucket, hopefully my handwriting can be seen without squinting anyone's eyes. :|

Yeah. I got number one, but I'm still getting owned by #2-4. I don't even remember how to do divide polynomials? :scratch:

Any and all help is appreciated. :)

mathquestions-interference.jpg

I can help out with Biology, Pharmacology, Human development theories and Microbiology, oh and some Sociology if needs be...

Health Sciences/Public Health right here. I have a Master's In Public Health, currently in grad school again working on a Master's in Clinical Nutrition, and I work as a WIC Nutritionist. Got any questions on food science, nutrition, biology, healthcare, or health education, I'm your gal.:up:

^^ ... I wish I knew that last semester. :|

Well, are there any philosophers out here? I'm currently reading David Hume's 'Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion' and I'm struggling really well. Haha.

I'm using sparknotes and whatnot, but I'm barely keeping up with the in-class discussions. Booooo to in-class discussions. :huh:

Last edited:
Oh, I wish I could help you with the philosophy assignment. That class drove me crazy ( I friggen hate core classes!). It is best to form a study group for that class. I found it helpful to discuss the assigned readings with different people. Sometimes it helps to hear other people's opinions...they may bring up points you never would have thought of. It is useful to learn from other people's perspectives; it makes you think outside the box, which is what philosophy is mainly about anyway.

Try to form a study group for this course. Don't try to tackle philosophy on your own. To quote Bono, "sometimes you can't make it on your own". :D

Ok that was cheesy, I know:|

Also I totally agree with your "booooo to in-class discussion" comment. Those were horrible experiences. I was a hot mess too during my freshman and sophomore years. Hang in there! By the time you're a junior, you'll have it going on:applaud:

What's your prob? :wink:

..everything! :sad: :sad:

Mundell-Fleming, IS/LM, DAS/DAD, NAIRU, Philips-curve....I need to know everything!
But the worst thing is that I don't get those endogenous/exogenous variables...for example expenditure increase and fixed exchange rates. I know how to do those differentials, but the problem is the beginning...:scream:

Ouch, sounds like a little econometrics there. With Nairu and Philips curve I could help, Mundell-Fleming and IS/LM a little, but what does DAS/DAD stand for?

Ouch, sounds like a little econometrics there. With Nairu and Philips curve I could help, Mundell-Fleming and IS/LM a little, but what does DAS/DAD stand for?

dynamic aggregated supply/ demand ?!
we never use german words...
econometrics? wtf? I thought I was doing macro II.

Ok, thought so because of the terms: endogenous/exogenous variables
I study it in English either, but we never had dynamic aggregated s/d as far as I know of.

Ok, thought so because of the terms: endogenous/exogenous variables
I study it in English either, but we never had dynamic aggregated s/d as far as I know of.

:ohmy: really? You have never had to do with that? interesting...oh I just saw DAS/DAD also has to do with rational/adaptive expectations and demand/supply shocks...anyway.
Do you know what I mean with endogenous/exog. variables in Mundel-Fleming Model? How do I know which variables are exogenous ( =0)?

I read Burda/Wypolsz, Mankiw and Gärtner at the same time and I still don't get it...:lol:

^^ ... I wish I knew that last semester. :|

Well, are there any philosophers out here? I'm currently reading David Hume's 'Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion' and I'm struggling really well. Haha.

I'm using sparknotes and whatnot, but I'm barely keeping up with the in-class discussions. Booooo to in-class discussions. :huh:

I took Philosophy. Failed. I wouldnt touch that subject again with a shity stick. :|

Everything went over my head in that class, the teacher didnt help either. :angry: Only thing I really remember is a bit of Jean Paul Sartres stuff. I thought it'd be like Religious Studies, but boy was I wrong. T__T

:ohmy: really? You have never had to do with that? interesting...oh I just saw DAS/DAD also has to do with rational/adaptive expectations and demand/supply shocks...anyway.
Do you know what I mean with endogenous/exog. variables in Mundel-Fleming Model? How do I know which variables are exogenous ( =0)?

I read Burda/Wypolsz, Mankiw and Gärtner at the same time and I still don't get it...:lol:

A lot of the theoretical stuff we do more in passing. Can't remember having talked about those models.
DAS/DAD sounds interesting, and I guess I will read up on that.

Exactly how to determine the endogeneous and exogeneous variables I can't tell. But since endogeneous is always something that "comes from you", i.e. you can influence it while the exogeneous stuff is something that you don't have under your control I guess in the model the IS curve is endogeneous while the LM curve would be exogeneous as should be the ZZ curve.
But that's just my guessing. ;)

PROBLEM 2. Hi youtooellen. Hope this helps.
x=(y-1)/2 --> slope intercept form --> y=2x+1 so based on y=mx+b where m=slope and b=y-intercept, we know slope(m)=2. Parallel lines have the same slope, so second line slope (m)=2.

To find y-intercept(b) of second line, use x-intercept=5 and m=2
x-intercept is solved by setting y=0, 0=mx+b you are given x=5 and you know m=2 from first part so solve for b b=-(mx) b=-(2x5) b=-10
Plug m=2 and b=-10 into slope intercept form y=mx+b --> y=2x-10.

Oops. I didn't see that this was from LAST night. NEVERMIND, but I have PROBLEMS 3 and 4 if you still want them. Let me know. Good Luck.

^ ah! thank you so much. see, i forgot everything about slope and whatnot. the formulas to get m and all that jazz.
perpendicular to an equation means that the slope has to be opposite reciprocal, right? i don't know why but the whole y-y1=m(x-x1) is irritating. i can't use it properly when i'm given an x-intercept to begin with.

i just solve from y=mx+b and plug in the (x,0) and (0,y) points to find b.

i have a math exam today....... i'm not sure if i'll do well or terrible. i think i learned the material pretty damn fast so i'm thinking i'll do well. or at the very least pass the exam. :lol:

does anyone know what the term "alternative odds" means? my professor wrote that on our homework assignments.... #1-111, and i thought that meant just the odd numbers... but that's taking so fucking long. i'm guessing alternative odds has to mean something else. any chance someone can clarify my idiocy? :wink:

A lot of the theoretical stuff we do more in passing. Can't remember having talked about those models.
DAS/DAD sounds interesting, and I guess I will read up on that.

Exactly how to determine the endogeneous and exogeneous variables I can't tell. But since endogeneous is always something that "comes from you", i.e. you can influence it while the exogeneous stuff is something that you don't have under your control I guess in the model the IS curve is endogeneous while the LM curve would be exogeneous as should be the ZZ curve.
But that's just my guessing. ;)

:wave: ok thanks! I'll try it...

Alright. So... new problem I've encountered.

I really fucking suck at factoring polynomials and trinomials. Especially with problems that have a leading coefficient.

Here's an example from my textbook:

18 x^6 y^5 + 24 x^3 y^3
42 x^2 y^5

Seriously. Oh em gee. I think I'm kinda sorta screwed for my exam today. :|
I should have done my homework earlier.. :doh:

But read up on it if it's right. :D

ok, now I know how to do define those variables. As a result I got q decrease (this tobin's q) and Y & M decrease. I should draw this now, and the only thing I know is that if Y, G, q increases the IS-curve shifts to the right. Can I shift the IS/LM-curve to the left? I have never seen that...:confused: thx :wink:

Wow this thread really separates the Mathematicians and Scientists from the Linguists doesn't it :lol:

Back
Top Bottom