School? Academics? Jobs? Everyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright. So... new problem I've encountered.

I really fucking suck at factoring polynomials and trinomials. Especially with problems that have a leading coefficient.

Here's an example from my textbook:

18 x^6 y^5 + 24 x^3 y^3
42 x^2 y^5

Seriously. Oh em gee. I think I'm kinda sorta screwed for my exam today. :|
I should have done my homework earlier.. :doh:

Ellen :wave:

For a problem like that, I'd suggest trying to factor the 2 separate poly/trionomials first and use the co-efficients, with a question like that it's simpler to solve them separately. :hmm:

Another tip I can add is.. look for the greatest common factor and solve it like you would a quadratic equation, with assigning co-efficients to all.

:nerd:

<------------ took and SURVIVED (barely :shh: ) 2 years of Calculus, I and II. :crack:

ok, now I know how to do define those variables. As a result I got q decrease (this tobin's q) and Y & M decrease. I should draw this now, and the only thing I know is that if Y, G, q increases the IS-curve shifts to the right. Can I shift the IS/LM-curve to the left? I have never seen that...:confused: thx :wink:

I would say so. If the opposite happens (decrease) it should shift the curves to the left. It's rather a question if that really happens. It would mean that income and consumption would have to decrease, and same with the money supply I guess. That shouldn't be likely.

I would say so. If the opposite happens (decrease) it should shift the curves to the left. It's rather a question if that really happens. It would mean that income and consumption would have to decrease, and same with the money supply I guess. That shouldn't be likely.

Ok, I don't have a better idea, so I'll draw like you said...:D
In this case, we have a exogenous reduction of q and fixed exchange rates. So I thought the endogenous variables are Y and M...and the rest was easy. That should be right. I think those questions are not very rational sometimes. (on purpose :grumpy:)

I took my math exam last night and I'm pretty sure I rocked it. :rockon:

I guess I was overly prepared in a way, studying for the past few days... several hours a day. Anywho, I know for a fact that I got at least an 'A' or something similar to a high mark.

I have a Physical Geography exam on Tuesday now. :sad:
I ditched all of my classes yesterday, just to prepare and study for my math exam. :|

Anyone familiar with the Earth's outer layers and their functions? (homosphere, heterosphere-- troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, etcetera.)

Stratosphere, and a bit of troposphere I can help with. :hyper: We did those recently in Env. science.

Stratosphere is where the important ozone layer is. About the height that planes fly at. (10-50km up)

In order the layers are:

(space)
Thermosphere
Mesosphere
Stratosphere
Troposphere
(Earth)

Is there anything specifically you need to know about them? I can probably look it up in my text book or scan a diagram or something. :)

As a fourth year honours student with a penchant for language and literature, I can help out with the following:

1. Translating Old English and Middle English.
2. Turning uncomplicated sentences into needlessly complicated ones.
3. Rambling for twenty pages on a topic that interests approximately .0004% of the global population.
4. Deconstructing Jacques Derrida.*

Ah, thanks a lot for the help.

I forget what the purpose of all of the atmospheric layers are.

I know the atmospheric layers are split into three different categories: composition (homosphere, heterosphere), temperature (troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere), and function (ozonosphere, ionosphere).

But I can't seem to differentiate all of the layers in each of the categories. :|

Wiki is also a very very good friend. It's not perfect but it can often send you on the right track. I know we're told to stay away from it, but talk to grad students, ask them what they use when reading up on something they aren't as familiar with. ;)

And I've taken a hodge podge of courses to match my hodgepodge of interests.
I'll pop in here every now and again and help where I can. :wave:

Yeah, I've been using an acronym for the TSMT - troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere.
Another thing I keep getting confused is the times of the solstices and how they affect the Earth. I recall something about the winter solstice meaning the 24 hours of daylight or nighttime in the Arctic... but I can't remember which. Something about the Tropic of Cancer and Capricorn, being below one means something else.

Thankfully I have a study group tonight to help clarify this stuff. Hm. But these issues are only from Ch. 1 and 2... I have yet to touch Ch. 3 (about clouds, insolation, reflection, albedo :huh:, and whatnot.

I seem to have trouble knowing what to write for certain sections of coursework. Like the hypothesis, implementation, analysis and conclusion.

You'd think it'd be straightforward, but it isnt. :(

Last night I took notes on the atmospheric layers (I hope nobody minds my reiteration of my notes... I wanted to get some practice in and make sure my notes are right. :) ) I also want to expand on each topic and its subcategories, so any help is appreciated. :wink:

Atmosphere layers >>
composition (1) homosphere, (2) heterosphere
temperature (3) troposphere, (4) stratosphere, (5) mesosphere, (6) thermosphere
function (7) ozonosphere, (8) ionosphere

(1) homosphere [composition]: all of the gases are evenly mixed
(2) heterosphere [composition]: all of the gases are layered by density, unevenly distributed
(3) troposphere [temperature]: consists of the biosphere/geosphere; consists of water vapor, clouds, weather, air pollution, and life forms
(4) stratosphere [temperature]: it is the location of the ozone layer; temperature increases with altitude
(5) mesosphere [temperature]: it is the coldest portion of the atmosphere
(6) thermosphere [temperature]: temperature rises with altitude; lots of kinetic energy between the molecules but there is very little heat
(7) ozonosphere [function]: 'ozone layer' O3; absorbs and filters ultraviolet rays and infrared radiation
(8) ionosphere [function]: absorbs cosmic, gamma, x-rays, and shorter wavelengths; it is also the area of the atmosphere where auroral lights appear

I seem to have trouble knowing what to write for certain sections of coursework. Like the hypothesis, implementation, analysis and conclusion.

You'd think it'd be straightforward, but it isnt. :(

Whats your bio coursework on? I did it for two separate boards at A level...one AQA the other CEA....B and then A in it respectively...I have two A levels in biology cause i'm special:wink:

Your hypothesis section just needs to be the hypothesis, implementation just how the experiment was carried out, procedures involved, health and safety, what you will be recording etc. Analysis show your results, tables and graphs, plus state what is happening for whatever your doing. Conclusion is basically arguing why your hypothesis was right or wrong. Explain the science behind it.

I could help better if I knew what exp your doing though...we did the classic osmosis in potatoes thing.

Another thing I keep getting confused is the times of the solstices and how they affect the Earth. I recall something about the winter solstice meaning the 24 hours of daylight or nighttime in the Arctic... but I can't remember which. Something about the Tropic of Cancer and Capricorn, being below one means something else.

A solstice and equinox are caused by where the sun's vertical rays strike the Earth. Skipping the long explanation, the tilt of the Earth's axis affects where the vertical rays strike the Earth. So during the March and September equinox, the vertical rays are striking the equator. This causes an equal day of 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness for the entire planet. The March equinox occurs on the 20th and the September equinox happens on 22nd. The solstices are a little different in that the verticals rays aren't striking the equator. On the June Solstice, the vertical rays are striking the Tropic of Cancer which is above the equator. This is because the North Pole is tilting towards the sun. This happens around the 21st. The day is longer for latitudes north of the equator and shorter below the equator. The Arctic Circle to the North Pole has 24 hours of daylight and opposite occurs from the Antarctic Circle to the South Pole. This is because of the sun's tangent rays that strike the top and bottom of the Earth. On the December Solstice, which happens around the 21st, the opposite of all that happens because the North Pole is tilted away from the sun. If you try to visual that it should start to make sense. :up:

Whats your bio coursework on? I did it for two separate boards at A level...one AQA the other CEA....B and then A in it respectively...I have two A levels in biology cause i'm special:wink:

Your hypothesis section just needs to be the hypothesis, implementation just how the experiment was carried out, procedures involved, health and safety, what you will be recording etc. Analysis show your results, tables and graphs, plus state what is happening for whatever your doing. Conclusion is basically arguing why your hypothesis was right or wrong. Explain the science behind it.

I could help better if I knew what exp your doing though...we did the classic osmosis in potatoes thing.
Ah we've done the potato thing. I think that was the test coursework for AS.

Convieniently, mine is AQA B too. :)
What I did was study Limpets on a rocky shore, its about the different shapes of limpets on upper or lower shores, what effects them, causes shape change, etc.

Im really struggling with the maths stuff and graphs. :reject: I think I may have done the thick of it, but I really dont know how to interpret it, as I dont understand it. :huh:

I need to get as much done as possible before wednesday. :scream:

Ah we've done the potato thing. I think that was the test coursework for AS.

Convieniently, mine is AQA B too. :)
What I did was study Limpets on a rocky shore, its about the different shapes of limpets on upper or lower shores, what effects them, causes shape change, etc.

Im really struggling with the maths stuff and graphs. :reject: I think I may have done the thick of it, but I really dont know how to interpret it, as I dont understand it. :huh:

I need to get as much done as possible before wednesday. :scream:

PM me your maths stuff or post here and I might be able to help. We did a shore study but it was on seaweed distribution.

:scream:

Urbanization paper due tomorrow.
I'm just starting.
Someone kill me for procrastinating.
And ban me from this forum until May. :reject:

^ I feel ya on that. This forum is such a damn distraction. Ugh. :angry:

Thanks a lot Screwtape for the help. I have my exam today at 2:30pm... I'm fucked for it, so I'm just gonna focus on the bigger topics, like the solstices and the albedo whatnot.
My lack of notes should help me review. Wow. I'm gonna own this exam. :happy:

:tsk: Procrastination is an addiction.

Good luck avec le exam, ellen :up:

Damn, I'm so bad at procrastination - I've only just handed politics coursework in today that was three months over due :yikes: The work itself isn't that hard, it's just the motivation to start the bloody thing!

Back
Top Bottom