School? Academics? Jobs? Everyone? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #161
The Fly
 
Turn up the AC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 243
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung_girl View Post
oh, I thought you are also doing business. But your degree sounds very interesting!
yeah, we focused on the marketing practices and the cultural backgrounds. I also started thinking about globalization and how I can put it into my text, but this is too big a subject to put it briefly imo. There is a lot of theory concerning different communication styles and their background ( i. e. political systems, social norms). The second half is about media selection/ advertising and there was this study about humor in advertisements my prof gave me in the basic literature. Imo, it is not that interesting, but she gave it to me, so I think I should use it lol! I haven't thought about the aspect of supporting social causes/charities etc. but this is nice input. Actually I have to email her the first part tonight. But maybe I could use some of these social marketing books for the second part (this will be a case study, but I don't know more yet.)
Globalization is a rather broad subject. Can you narrow it down to two-three different racial/cultural groups and describe how organizations can market their services to those specific groups?

Let's say for example, a new community health center (you know I have to sneak in healthcare somewhere ) is opening in an area populated by Alaskan Natives/Native Americans. How can the leaders of the new health facility sell themselves to the target community? What cultural competencies need to be identified and included in the marketing plan? The use of natural and holistic medicine is common in Native American culture, so how can the new clinic market their own health services while still being sensitive to the cultural healthcare practices of the people they are trying to serve?

That could be one example of how people from different cultural backgrounds are making an impact on the way businesses market their products/services.

Have you gotten more info from your instructor about the media part of the paper?

*Sorry for the late reply. Between my class, job, weekend activities, and a sick husband, I'm going into overload .
__________________

Turn up the AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #162
The Fly
 
Turn up the AC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 243
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo! View Post
Pulled out an exam tomorrow cos I wont be able to do it (honestly, Im not just pulling out cos I cant be bothered, I literally cant answer the questions).

So Im going on a day trip to Ireland instead.
Nothing like a trip to clear the mind......
Ahhh..takes me back to my undergrad days. I behaved on my trips, honest .

Did you eventually take the exam ?
__________________

Turn up the AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #163
New Yorker
 
achtung_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,049
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn up the AC View Post
Globalization is a rather broad subject. Can you narrow it down to two-three different racial/cultural groups and describe how organizations can market their services to those specific groups?

Let's say for example, a new community health center (you know I have to sneak in healthcare somewhere ) is opening in an area populated by Alaskan Natives/Native Americans. How can the leaders of the new health facility sell themselves to the target community? What cultural competencies need to be identified and included in the marketing plan? The use of natural and holistic medicine is common in Native American culture, so how can the new clinic market their own health services while still being sensitive to the cultural healthcare practices of the people they are trying to serve?

That could be one example of how people from different cultural backgrounds are making an impact on the way businesses market their products/services.

Have you gotten more info from your instructor about the media part of the paper?

*Sorry for the late reply. Between my class, job, weekend activities, and a sick husband, I'm going into overload .
thanks, for replying.
well, she said like nothing what we should do in the last paper, but she gave me short text about the 'globe study' (with a note: this might help you connecting cultural issues to advertising). so, I think I should give this study as an example and connect some essential finding with i.e. the Hofstede dimensions and maybe also Hall's low/high context cultures.
I like your example AC! I'll talk to my friend tomorrow and we'll think about it.
But our first paper was surprisingly good so far.
achtung_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #164
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn up the AC View Post
Nothing like a trip to clear the mind......
Ahhh..takes me back to my undergrad days. I behaved on my trips, honest .

Did you eventually take the exam ?
Nah, cos I had volenteered for it thinking "give it a go", but it was seriously above my level of knowledge. It expected you to be well read, and reference books you have read in your answers. I read dick all, so it was kind of impossible for me to answer.

Also, the effort didnt really equal the outcome. You dont get a mark up to your final grade, just 30 more UCAS (like, uni points) points. Its more for all the students who get A grades, as a means of putting yourself above others with A grades to get uni places. And since I dont get A's, thats another reason not to bother.
MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #165
The Fly
 
Turn up the AC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 243
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung_girl View Post
thanks, for replying.
well, she said like nothing what we should do in the last paper, but she gave me short text about the 'globe study' (with a note: this might help you connecting cultural issues to advertising). so, I think I should give this study as an example and connect some essential finding with i.e. the Hofstede dimensions and maybe also Hall's low/high context cultures.
I like your example AC! I'll talk to my friend tomorrow and we'll think about it.
But our first paper was surprisingly good so far.
It sounds like you're on the right track. Your instructor is also giving you good feedback and is keeping you on the right path . My curiosity is peaked, and I want to know how this assignment plays out. What is your classification?
Turn up the AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #166
The Fly
 
Turn up the AC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 243
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo! View Post
Nah, cos I had volenteered for it thinking "give it a go", but it was seriously above my level of knowledge. It expected you to be well read, and reference books you have read in your answers. I read dick all, so it was kind of impossible for me to answer.

Also, the effort didnt really equal the outcome. You dont get a mark up to your final grade, just 30 more UCAS (like, uni points) points. Its more for all the students who get A grades, as a means of putting yourself above others with A grades to get uni places. And since I dont get A's, thats another reason not to bother.
Ahhh, I'm sorry. Don't give up now girl....hang in there.

And I totally know where you're coming from about students who think they are in a "special clique" just because of their grades. In undergrad, I kept my gpa over a 3.5 because I knew I wanted to get into a good graduate program. I didn't walk around with my nose in the air, thinking everyone with gpa's below mine were beneath me. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your academic achievements, but you don't have to act like an ass .

to Moo Moo, and to her classmates who think they are better than everyone else.
Turn up the AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #167
New Yorker
 
achtung_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,049
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn up the AC View Post
It sounds like you're on the right track. Your instructor is also giving you good feedback and is keeping you on the right path . My curiosity is peaked, and I want to know how this assignment plays out. What is your classification?
oh I just read your post...
Actually, I just got home from my presentation. So, finally I'm done. She did the grading right after presentation and I'm content I have to say. Looks like the hard work was worth it. Ok, she said that only one of my case studies (I did 3) is really working for my purpose (haha but I had to fill 10 pages )...but well I think she took into consideration that I was the only one who wasn't complaining about not enough literature like the others did. (she gave them some extra lit. for the case studies).When I arrived at uni today I had no clue if all that I going to present is worth it...

I dunno if you're still interested but the classification looks the following:
Content

1.Factors for discussing the impacts of culture on marketing communications
2.Theoretical foundations of culture
2.1 Background and framework of communication
2.2 The culture dimensions by Hofstede
3. Marketing communication of multinational corporations
3.1 Differences of communication in diverse cultures
3.2 Problems of cross-cultural advertisement
3.3 Media selection
3.4 The influence of humor on advertising
4 Case studies
4.1 Frank Müller – Doing business in Japan
4.2 Advertising spots – Chrysler Concorde
4.3 The Global Leadership Organizational Behavior Effectiveness Research Program (GLOBE)
5.Conclusion and Outlook
6 Bibliography
achtung_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #168
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 12:54 AM
Looks good to me. What made you choose those 3 case studies? It an interesting mix

I have a bach in communication and marketing, and a bach in Public Relations if anyone needs any SPIN? hahahaha! really my course was so broad and general the bloody jobs list was a foot long.

Anyway im a teacher now, so if anyone needs any elp on educational objectives, pedagogical techniques or learning outcomes, im here to help
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #169
New Yorker
 
achtung_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,049
Local Time: 02:54 PM
^

Oh cool that you also did comm. and marketing.
Well, I needed to deal with all the theory in the case studies. So, the first one is an interview I did with a sales mananger who knows a lot about business negotiations in Japan. This covers all the general theory about culture in the context of communication etc. The second one is an advertisement spot I analyzed regarding the aspect of humor in different cultures (the spot was forbidden in the US, but it would have well worked in Europe), and you could also explain 2 theoretical culture models with it. Ok, the last one is not really a case study that fits, because it exhibits a complete new theoretical foundation I did not use before. They detected new cultural dimensions and purpose of this study was to show the influence of different leadership styles on the employees working. Not really my topic...but they discovered this culture dimension called assertiveness which is often used in commercial messages. So, the results of this study are usable for me because there is again the connection to advertisement. I just wrote as short text passage about this new theoretical model in the main paper.
achtung_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #170
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 12:54 AM
hmmm, i can see why you chose them, cultural dimensions is a really interesting aspect, I love all the nuances to go with it. Do you watch or read adveritsements with a different view of them now? I am always doing that going 'oooh good key message' or 'wow, you need to reassess that strategy!' or maybe i'm just anal. HAHAHA!
Not that i'd be any good now, having not had anything to do with marketing in 3 years!
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #171
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,265
Local Time: 12:54 AM
Just wondering if there's any journalists among us...
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #172
New Yorker
 
achtung_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,049
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
hmmm, i can see why you chose them, cultural dimensions is a really interesting aspect, I love all the nuances to go with it. Do you watch or read adveritsements with a different view of them now? I am always doing that going 'oooh good key message' or 'wow, you need to reassess that strategy!' or maybe i'm just anal. HAHAHA!
Not that i'd be any good now, having not had anything to do with marketing in 3 years!
yeah I know what you mean LOL! I think I get very fast why they chose this or that person, place or illustration etc. But I think I have also done that before I got more into this marketing thing. Anyway there are still some spots I don't get...ha!
__________________

achtung_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
academics, assistance, jobs, school

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×