School? Academics? Jobs? Everyone? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
JanuaryStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: World of Dreams
Posts: 9,159
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura M View Post
That long wait only applies to exams taken in the last three years of school. Exams aren't sent away at univeristy as far as I know. At ours we always got our results back within 2-3 weeks. When the Dutch take the Havo (?) exams I thought they had to do national exams that are sent away for marking? I'm guessing youse have to wait for your marks too like they do in the UK?
Some tests are being sent away for marking here but that depends only from which faculty they come from (those marks can take somewhat longer like I said, but usually not longer than a month or so). Usually the tests are being marked by the 'indoor' professors. Then it takes 2-3 weeks like you said to get our results back.
__________________

JanuaryStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #82
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura M View Post
I never got scripts back, I don't know anyone who did.
I think if you didnt have to pay a lot more people would.


Due to the amount of processing that goes with it, its not really worth the exam boards while to give them back withoutu charging though. Its a shame you cant even just photocopy your exam before you hand it in.
__________________

MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #83
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Could anyone help me out with some philosophy?

I gotta write a paper about David Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion, and his main points. I have to identify the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes. Alongside that, I have to give my opinion, whether I agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design, yes or no), and so on.

youtooellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #84
The Fly
 
AlexHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 89
Local Time: 10:14 PM
I can help with politics. Of course I was schooled in the States, so we're only taught American politics.
AlexHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #85
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 11:14 PM
My philosophy paper isn't going well because it requires so much mental energy. Haha. It's due tomorrow so I'm probably gonna be up all night with Red Bull in my hand... constantly.

My english paper, however, is going well. It's due Thursday so Wednesday night I'm gonna be up all night with Red Bull in my hand... constantly. Again. Hah. It's supposed to be on freedom from something, or just an argument in general. We have to relate it to one or more of the four topics that were available: economy, freedom, education, democracy.
There's a student doing animal rights, others doing slavery, others doing the economic struggle our nation is going through....


.... I decided to do the legalization of (medical) marijuana... and how it'd help the economy. Is that a little far-fetched?

Here are my argumentative points:
cash crop, employment opportunities, support agriculture, clean out the overpopulated prison system with marijuana charges, decrease the amount of money the United States has put into drug/marijuana prevention, help the economy with money flow, statistics of alcohol/painkillers/other legally acceptable substances related accidents in comparison to marijuana related accidents, medical care would improve for those with severe illnesses, there's no drug tax...., and some others that I can't remember. Of the topics, I was going to relate it to freedom of choice and economy.

Any help for a thesis statement? I'm terrible with introduction and conclusion paragraphs. Also, any ideas on another topic I could choose? I thought about abortion, euthanasia, minimum wage and the working poor, death penalty, obesity, and other "hot topics". None of them are of great interest to me, but the marijuana thing is of incredible interest.

So... yeah. Is my topic an or ? Would it be a good topic for argumentation?
youtooellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #86
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDallas View Post
I can help with politics. Of course I was schooled in the States, so we're only taught American politics.
I study politics (in England), and I studied UK and European politics in the first year and American in the second Did you not study any aspects of other countries politics, if only as a comparison with American government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
Could anyone help me out with some philosophy?

I gotta write a paper about David Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion, and his main points. I have to identify the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes. Alongside that, I have to give my opinion, whether I agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design, yes or no), and so on.

That sounds really interesting I read Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion quite a while ago because of some work I was doing on Cicero (and this was based on De natura deorum) - while I have a better understanding of the bracketed work, I could perhaps help you on some of the fundamentals. What is the exact wording of the question you were given, or is it just a discussion? If so, in terms of what specific aspect? One of the views, the differing views in relation to one another, or how he presents them... etc.
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #87
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
So... yeah. Is my topic an or ? Would it be a good topic for argumentation?
Marijuana is always a debatable topic, so you probably wont have a shortage of source/research material. And you'll be able to have a good oppurtunity for persuasion. I say its a good choice.

Ive ended up writing a speech about recycling and waiting to do a NLOTH review. I need to rethink my recycling one apparantly, because my audience isnt right.
MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #88
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 11:14 PM
^thanks a lot Ellena! thank you for motivating me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
What is the exact wording of the question you were given, or is it just a discussion? If so, in terms of what specific aspect? One of the views, the differing views in relation to one another, or how he presents them... etc.
Here's the actual rubric/lectured information: it's supposed to be an opinionated paper while containing all of the arguments in the text.

- Identify main points of Hume's argument. What are the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes?
- Do you agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design)?

So far I'm thinking that the four arguments are all amongst empiricism (?): "intelligent design"-- the world as a "perfect machine", fideism, the problem of evil, and maybe the ontological idea. I don't even actually know. Haha.

Now that I think about it.... I guess I'm struggling with this.

By the way, thank you for your help!
youtooellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,560
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
.... I decided to do the legalization of (medical) marijuana... and how it'd help the economy. Is that a little far-fetched?

Here are my argumentative points:
cash crop, employment opportunities, support agriculture, clean out the overpopulated prison system with marijuana charges, decrease the amount of money the United States has put into drug/marijuana prevention, help the economy with money flow, statistics of alcohol/painkillers/other legally acceptable substances related accidents in comparison to marijuana related accidents, medical care would improve for those with severe illnesses, there's no drug tax...., and some others that I can't remember. Of the topics, I was going to relate it to freedom of choice and economy.
Personally, I think you overestimate the effect that medical marijuana would have - if it becomes an acceptable drug to be used, then it would be subject to FDA regulation and would most likely not be grown by average people because they could not comply with the regulations. Additionally, the patient population for which marijuana is a viable option is rather small - not nearly enough to impact the economy in any significant way.
randhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier
 
~BrightestStar~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Posts: 35,735
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Running on 3.5 hours sleep......can get help with that?
~BrightestStar~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #91
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randhail View Post
Personally, I think you overestimate the effect that medical marijuana would have - if it becomes an acceptable drug to be used, then it would be subject to FDA regulation and would most likely not be grown by average people because they could not comply with the regulations. Additionally, the patient population for which marijuana is a viable option is rather small - not nearly enough to impact the economy in any significant way.
Damn it. So any suggestions on a new topic?

Thank you for pointing that out. I don't know if it makes a difference, but what about the general argument about the legalization of marijuana? FDA regulations would definitely be mentioned, but it could also open more employment opportunities, right?

I need to get the right sources and stuff, but the stupid stoners all over the world makes the sources unreliable. Damn cannabis forums. *shakes fist angrily*
youtooellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #92
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Could you maybe generalise it more? To something like Marijuanas role in society? Or is that too broad?

I dont know how it works in the US, but we have classifications for drugs, maybe you could write about getting it reclassed.
MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
Damn it. So any suggestions on a new topic?
What about doing it on some aspect of student rights? You should be able to find lots of stuff.
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #94
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
Here's the actual rubric/lectured information: it's supposed to be an opinionated paper while containing all of the arguments in the text.

- Identify main points of Hume's argument. What are the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes?
- Do you agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design)?

So far I'm thinking that the four arguments are all amongst empiricism (?): "intelligent design"-- the world as a "perfect machine", fideism, the problem of evil, and maybe the ontological idea. I don't even actually know. Haha.

Now that I think about it.... I guess I'm struggling with this.

By the way, thank you for your help!
I don't know why I said four arguments, it's quite markedly three All three arguments do argue the same, very basic message, but only Cleanthes argues empiricism. Both Demea and Philo (Philo considerably better) state that God's nature is beyond human comprehension, and we can therefore never know this nature through the medium of reason. Cleanthes contradicts this view, and states that reason is the only way in which you'll know it.
Cleanthes bases his belief on empirical theism on intelligent design, and Philo is used as the sceptic to raise Humes own objections to the argument from design. When he gets down to Gods moral attributes in the last bit (if I remember rightly... it might be before the end) he cites evil in nature as evidence against God being 'infinitely' anything.

When discussing opinions, I'd go for the intelligent design argument if I were you because it's the most obvious thing to focus on - there's a lot of material there for you to use. Philo's argument for fideism is probably the best argument in the text - but it's used more as a conclusion as an arguing point, so you couldn't express a contradictory argument (... I don't think, unless you want to free style without referencing the text )

Not too sure whether this actually helped at all, but if you have any more questions on this I'll have a bash at answering them
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #95
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 11:14 PM
^ thank you so much!!

your help really made a difference in my paper. it helped me figure out a thesis statement and everything. i owe ya one.

turned that paper in at 11am this morning and tonight i have to write my english argumentation paper... about marijuana. i'm seriously debating if i should change my topic, but i don't know what to do it on.

not to mention that i have 16 hours left to brainstorm and write it...
youtooellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #96
New Yorker
 
youtooellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,580
Local Time: 11:14 PM
^ EDIT.....

I changed my topic to euthanasia and its pros and cons. It's such a typical argumentative paper, but seeing that my paper is officially due in... 12 hours... I guess I have no other choice. I must say that euthanasia has a stronger debate in comparison to marijuana. I have to tie Thomas Jefferson in with my paper and his belief in freedom. Yeah. I write in this thread often, but I guess it's because I lack the academic support in my life.
youtooellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #97
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtooellen View Post
^ thank you so much!!

your help really made a difference in my paper. it helped me figure out a thesis statement and everything. i owe ya one.
I'm sure you're exaggerating and knew it all anyway!

I'd so rather write a paper on euthanasia than marijuana use me thinks, it's a bit more black and white.
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #98
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 05:14 AM
P.s. If someone in here's fluent in/pretty good at French I could probably do with some help on my next assignment. Yes, I've had to resort to begging in my blog for help in the past
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict
 
daygloeyes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: No Emily's Allowed
Posts: 26,571
Local Time: 12:14 AM
i have a bio exam in an hour. i was up until 3 am studying. i am all studied out.
daygloeyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vivalapopedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: endless winter in new yawk
Posts: 7,419
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
P.s. If someone in here's fluent in/pretty good at French I could probably do with some help on my next assignment. Yes, I've had to resort to begging in my blog for help in the past

might be able to help......
__________________

vivalapopedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
academics, assistance, jobs, school

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×