Road Trips!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carlos, you have a family, yes? Does that make taking road trips harder? Would your kids enjoy driving all the way up the Pacific? Me, I was always really subdued in the car, as I've loved travel from day 1 it seems...but some kids cannot sit still and it becomes a nightmare.

yup, I do.

It depends on the age of the kids. When I took that trip to Yosemite and Sequioa, I was alot younger, with no family.
I guess the secret on having a succesful road trip, is to take your time to get there and enjoy the view...stop at Diner's, etc.

I do not believe in having dvd players in the back of the headrests for the kids, they need to be able to have conversations with the rest of the family inside the car, IMO.

yup, I do.

It depends on the age of the kids. When I took that trip to Yosemite and Sequioa, I was alot younger, with no family.
I guess the secret on having a succesful road trip, is to take your time to get there and enjoy the view...stop at Diner's, etc.

I do not believe in having dvd players in the back of the headrests for the kids, they need to be able to have conversations with the rest of the family inside the car, IMO.

I am not a parent (shocking, I know), so it's hard to pass commentary on how kids are raised.....but, I think that I'd shy away from DVD players in the car, etc. I was at a restaurant the other day, and I saw a family of four plus a Grandma....the kids both sat at the table, playing hand held video games the whole time, while the 3 adults talked on and off. I'm not saying that such a thing is "wrong", and again, I know nothing about raising kids, but it just seemed off to me, that whole scenario. Eh, wtf do I know?

Making frequent stops seems like an easy remedy to alleviate any boredom or restlessness.

and you didn't call? :grumpy:

I meant to, I swear! It's just that I was nearly incoherent with grumpiness and exhaustion due to the extreme heat (that's what happens when you visit Utah in July).

Oh, and also, I didn't have your number. Or your name. ;)

I've taken road trips with another person before, and while it's nice to have someone to share driving duties with, that also means you have to share the CD player. :grumpy:

I take a lot of small road trips by myself - day trips to the mountains, or to the ocean, or wherever. There's nothing like it on a beautiful day.

Mike, I could start a thread regarding how I feel about the necesity of parents having communication with their kids, but it would probably be better for FYM.

dont.get.me/started/:lol:

We take classes for driving, but anyone can be a "parent".

Mike, I could start a thread regarding how I feel about the necesity of parents having communication with their kids, but it would probably be better for FYM.

dont.get.me/started/:lol:

We take classes for driving, but anyone can be a "parent".

It's weird for me to have such strong feelings on the topic and yet, I know that any parent could just say to me "Well, you don't have kids, you don't understand", etc, and there's no good comeback for that. Suffice to say, I'm a big proponent of parents communicating with their children. I may not have shared everything with my parents, but, we always had open dialogue and that is still the case today......and I'm sure said communication contributed to the fact that I consider my parents my friends as well.

But, back to Road trips! I want to go from LA to Vegas again, stop in Barstow and fuck up some In N Out, get to town at like 12am cos we left LA at 8 to avoid traffic on that bitch known as the 10......play cards all night, go to a diner for 5am breakfast, get up at noon and take a drive on over to the Hoover Dam, etc.......

Really? So you drove from Cali to Niagara Falls then doubled back to Nebraska? That's awesome. I'd love to do that.

I haven't had many roadtrips, unfortunately. :(

Ok I am on CRACK. I just talked to my parents and they said we've never been to Niagra falls :lol: :reject: We've been to all the states between here and Nebraska but no further than that. Wow my memory sucks. :sad:

I'm no longer friends with half of the people I went on the trip with, though, so that kinda sucks.

What exactly happened on that trip? :shifty: :wink:

Sightseeing makes the trip much longer!

Ah I see! That makes sense then.

Did NYC - LA a few years back, which was great.

I want to do that but don't know how the hell I will find time!

The longest drive I've personally done was Boston to NYC, which took me something like 13 hours. :crack:

Why did it take you that long? It only takes about 4.5 hrs from here in Central Jersey to Boston.

Zoots, let me know if you make it to Seattle. :)

Definitely! I wouldn't come that far and leave without meeting my fellow REM fan! :hi5:

I drove practically cross country from Jersey to Arizona. 16 states in 16 days. it was incredible!!!

Woah did you drive the whole way? I didn't know... or I forgot.

The longest drive I've personally done was Boston to NYC, which took me something like 13 hours. :crack:

Normally it takes people about four hours. But factor in the snow storm you were driving in, and it is a whole different story (nevermind not having any American cash).

:yes:

It's going to take her some time to put it in writing.

I think she has been working on the post all day. :D

We did a lot of road trips in the family wagon growing up. My parents instilled the joy of exploring. Schmeg and I do a lot of mini-road trips on days off to "explore" areas within a few hours of our residence. I also do more than 250 miles a week for work, which is a road trip of sorts (as I type from a hotel room).

Now, I would LOVE to do a cross-country (US or Canada) train trip someday. One way (I would fly back).

Me loves road trips. For several years in a row, I did west Michigan to Goodland-ish, Florida once a year. That's about 25 hrs each way. For the past 6 years we've done west Michigan to the northern Gulf coast (Alabama or Florida panhandle) and that's 19 hours each way. We used to go to Phil's parents in Iowa several times a year, 8 hrs each way, but blah that's a sucky drive. In a few weeks we're doing a mini-road trip to Chicago and next month I'm going to Lexington, Kentucky for a big dog show. Besides Hawaii I've been to 23 states, all by way of road trips, no farther west than Nebraska.

Besides Hawaii I've been to 23 states, all by way of road trips, no farther west than Nebraska.

I've been to: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada and I will be going to Texas briefly in February.

25...not bad for a non-American!

I've been to: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada and I will be going to Texas briefly in February.

25...not bad for a non-American!

On road trips? No, not bad at all for a non-American! I've only been to one Canadian province, and the place we went is closer to me than Chicago. By plane I've also been to Hawaii and California, and on the road we went into South Dakota for dinner just to say we went there, but I still don't count it.

I've never been that interested in going west, but I would love a New England road trip, or even better - backpacking. But, vacation time is non-existent now so shorter weekend trips will have to suffice. I tend to find a few places I really like and just go there over and over each year. We've tried a new place once or twice and didn't like it as much.

I love road trips and take one every chance I can get. So far this year I've driven from Southern Nevada to Southern California three times, the Grand Canyon twice, the Salton Sea and Niland, California, Twentynine Palms, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, and most recently I drove down around the bottom of Death Valley to enter from the West then drove all the way through it and back into Nevada. An amazing trip I plan to take again as soon as the weather cools.

I have driven across country (LA to NY) at least four times back and forth in my life. When I lived in CA, I took annual road trips up to visit a friend in Crescent City, which is about as far North in California as you can go without being in Oregon; a beautiful city where the Redwood Forest rolls right down into the sea. Those were some of the best road trips, stopping in Morro Bay and Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Pebble Beach. It's such a beautiful drive along the coast, but since I moved out here I have grown to love trips through the desert even more.

I've been to Crescent City! I loved the ocean and the redwoods.

That was another road trip - Seattle to Mendocino. It was AWESOME.

Although I do not recommend attempting to do the return trip in one day. That was brutal. Especially with a late start and a hangover.

But, back to Road trips! I want to go from LA to Vegas again, stop in Barstow and fuck up some In N Out, get to town at like 12am cos we left LA at 8 to avoid traffic on that bitch known as the 10......play cards all night, go to a diner for 5am breakfast, get up at noon and take a drive on over to the Hoover Dam, etc.......

:drool:

Lot's of road trips a few speeding tickets. Longest straight drive was 30 hours, I was anxious to get home :D

I do love the stops along the way, I'm even amused by the different brands of gas stations. :der:

I love road trips and take one every chance I can get. So far this year I've driven from Southern Nevada to Southern California three times, the Grand Canyon twice, the Salton Sea and Niland, California, Twentynine Palms, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, and most recently I drove down around the bottom of Death Valley to enter from the West then drove all the way through it and back into Nevada. An amazing trip I plan to take again as soon as the weather cools.

I have driven across country (LA to NY) at least four times back and forth in my life. When I lived in CA, I took annual road trips up to visit a friend in Crescent City, which is about as far North in California as you can go without being in Oregon; a beautiful city where the Redwood Forest rolls right down into the sea. Those were some of the best road trips, stopping in Morro Bay and Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Pebble Beach. It's such a beautiful drive along the coast, but since I moved out here I have grown to love trips through the desert even more.

I dated a girl that had a beach house up in Morro Bay. Used to love driving up there to see her. Always had a great time, and, the house was right on the beach. Amazing. Then again, yours truly ended up living across the street from the Pacific for two years before trading that in to move to Chicago. If I had known that GAF lived here, I'd have likely stayed in CA.

Beegee, take me with you then next time you drive to the bottom of Death Valley!

When I was 19, I came into some money. I bought a car, dropped out of school and drove from San Francisco up north to Seattle then across the country to New York. I spent three months doing it and would have done three more had I not crashed my car into a utility pole in Tuxedo, NJ. Best 3 months of my life, I think.

:shh: I still owe the state of NJ $2000 for the pole

Back
Top Bottom