Man solves Rubik's Cube after 26 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
Jan 12, 2009

A man has matched up the bricks of his Rubik's Cube — 26 years after purchasing it.

Graham Parker suffers wrist and back injuries from his decades of twisting the cult toy and admits to weeping when he finally matched everything up, the UK's Metro reports.

"It felt like it had taken over my life," he was quoted by the newspaper as saying.

"I have missed important events to stay in and solve it, and would lie awake at night thinking about it."

His wife Jean says Graham was already obsessed when they met and the toy was like a third person in their marriage.

"I have often thought about getting rid of it but I knew he would not rest until he had solved it," she said.

A spokesman for the World Cube Association said it was "definitely the longest it has taken" to finish the cube.

By comparison, Dutchman Erik Akkersdijk holds the world record for solving the puzzle in 7.08 seconds.

The Cube was invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor Erno Rubik and has sold 300 million worldwide.

The game is so popular, it has even triggered the formation of Cubaholics — a support group for those obsessed with the game.

Man solves Rubik's Cube after 26 years

Wow, that's pretty bad. Everyone usually solves them within a year or so. :crack: How can you stand doing that for 26 years? I'd go crazy and throw the thing away!

Or just take off the stickers and re-apply them in the correct way. :shifty:

Wow. There's YouTube videos out there that walk you through it. My boss had one and I messed it up real bad so we were trying to fix it before he got back. Ended up giving it to another co-worker who knows the algorithms and does them in about 20 seconds.

I pity the long-suffering wifey. I would've stuffed that cube up his ass and then filed for divorce on grounds of adultery with an inanimate object. But as it turns out, she knew what she was getting into, essentially making them two peas in a pod. I guess it's a good thing she never did throw the cube away ... apparently it would have been the equivalent of chopping off his member while he slept ... and I doubt a marriage could ever recover from something that traumatic.

The Chinese girl. Wow. Just. Wow. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing lol :|

When you meet someone and you know he's obsessed with a puzzle, how can someone put up with that for 26 years? I would never let any toy become more important than me in a relationship, and no comments on how that just sounded :angry:

When I was younger, I solved one in about thee minutes. That's how long it took me to pry it apart and snap it back together in the appropriate order.

I was all about taking things apart and putting them back together. :)

Geez, 26 years. :eek: I had one of those cubes as a kid, and I figured it out after one day.

Wow. Now THAT is dedication. I don't know if I could stick to something that long lol.

Back
Top Bottom