Makeup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I go into Sephora and I walk around without a clue. My current makeup fits in my pocket. all of it.

me in makeup = streetwalker OF freshly killed corpse. I MacPhail at being girly.

I spent a wonderful 30 minutes at Sephora today. I have a religious experience when I go in there, I swear! Things I got:

Noire Palette by Stila:

P195609_hero.jpg

Long wearing lip colour by Stila (in Darling and in Flushed):

P190032_hero.jpg

IT gloss by Stila (in Enchanting):

P109209_hero.jpg

Lancome's Colour Focus Palette (in 4Edge, not the one in pic):

P54428_hero.jpg

NARS Duo Eyeshadow (in Cleo):

670190_sw.jpg

And then I got a free gift (Clinique mascara).

Ventured into Sephora yesterday, since everyone is always raving about it. Had the sales girl recommend some stuff to me. Ended up with a Vincent Longo lipstick and lip liner, and a Smashbox blush. 78 dollars later.... :crack: Hope it was worth it! :hmm:

anitram said:
I spent a wonderful 30 minutes at Sephora today. I have a religious experience when I go in there, I swear! Things I got:

Noire Palette by Stila:

P195609_hero.jpg

Long wearing lip colour by Stila (in Darling and in Flushed):

P190032_hero.jpg

IT gloss by Stila (in Enchanting):

P109209_hero.jpg

Lancome's Colour Focus Palette (in 4Edge, not the one in pic):

P54428_hero.jpg

NARS Duo Eyeshadow (in Cleo):

670190_sw.jpg

And then I got a free gift (Clinique mascara).

I LOVE all those colors!!!:drool:

hardyharhar said:

And so, what do you recommend for eyeliner and mascara? :flirt:

WTG April :up: :)

I use liquid eyeliner. I don't use the felt tipped ones though. They are supposed to be easier to use but I like the control the brush type gives me. The best liquid eyeliner, in my opinion, is Loreal. Oh, and a couple different brands sell stuff that will turn eyeshadow into liquid eyeliner. :heart: (I have Urban Decay)

DiorShow mascara is all the rage lately. I have it and it's good but not "I can't live without it!" I have yet to find a "wow!" mascara. :sigh: My old standby is Loreal Voluminous. :up:

I think I'm heading to Sephora today to spend my giftcard on something for NYE. :hmm:

WildHoneyAlways said:

Oh, and if you want your eyeshadow to last all day I'd buy
205.jpg

Urban Decay Potion.

This is the only stuff that has ever worked for me. (and I've tried a ton.)

I talked to my sister the other night and she mentioned how well this stuff worked for her. I think I know what I'll be getting on my next trip to Sephora :yes:

I went back to Sephora to spend my gift card and got a couple of make-up brushes (from Bare Escentuals), the Boi-ing concealer from Benefit cosmetics (I still like this one best), and a Stila lip gloss.

I really want to get the nice bronzer/blush duo from NARS but they did not have them at this Sephora location, as it's not the biggest store I've been to. Oh well, always next time!

I love makeup, and love to drool over the pretty colors and the new stuff they always come out with.

But I phail at makeup application. :( Eye makeup is just beyond my comprehension, and I am never happy with the way blush looks on me (although it's entirely possible I'm using the wrong color, or don't know how to put it on).

I have some thicker, crayon-style eyeliner/shadow sticks I use. Usually I just draw a thinnish line on my upper lid and smudge it a bit. sometimes I'll brush a light color on my upper lid (usually a neutral), and I almost always have powder, just to even out my skin tone. I have decent skin, but a smidge of rosacea on my cheeks ... which means my cheeks have automatic rosiness, so maybe I don't need blush. :wink: Luckily, I have nice thick eyelashes, so don't need mascara.

If I'm really feeling fancy, I'll put on some foundation (I finally found a shade/type I like) and some lip gloss.

But for the most part, I suck at makeup.

corianderstem said:
I love makeup, and love to drool over the pretty colors and the new stuff they always come out with.

But I phail at makeup application. :( Eye makeup is just beyond my comprehension, and I am never happy with the way blush looks on me (although it's entirely possible I'm using the wrong color, or don't know how to put it on).

I have some thicker, crayon-style eyeliner/shadow sticks I use. Usually I just draw a thinnish line on my upper lid and smudge it a bit. sometimes I'll brush a light color on my upper lid (usually a neutral), Luckily, I have nice thick eyelashes, so don't need mascara.

But for the most part, I suck at makeup.

Quick tip for lining eyes:

I use a flat brush from Smashbox cosmetics along with the little pot of black liner in Smashing Caviar and just gently brush it under my lashes as close as I can get it. Then I put a tiny bit of white shimmer shadow over top of it so the line isn't as harsh. Luckily my eyes are really dark so I can get away with putting on loads of black eyeliner. For mascara, I'd recommend Diorshow or another plumping one. Diorshow doesn't clump your lashes and they're still soft, just a lot longer and thicker. :yes:

<----- Makeup expert. :reject:

When you say "brush it under my lashes," what exactly do you mean? Do you line the lid UNDER your eyelashes? Isn't it supposed to go on the skin just above your eyelashes? Or are you talking about your lower lids?

For blush, you need to go just a shade or two darker to your skin tone, but towards a more warmer shade, the way your skin would look if you pinched your cheeks. It would match the undertones in your skin. Lightly dust it over the apples of the cheeks, and works in light strokes upwards towards your cheekbones and temples, trying to create a hollow effect, or just a natural rosy glow, depends on what look you want.

corianderstem said:
When you say "brush it under my lashes," what exactly do you mean? Do you line the lid UNDER your eyelashes? Isn't it supposed to go on the skin just above your eyelashes? Or are you talking about your lower lids?

I'm talking about my lower lashes, for the smudged effect. :)

If you're talking about the upper lids, just take a liquid eyeliner with a really fine brush, and follow the shape of your eye just above your lashline. Just that line will make all the difference.

Babydoll said:
For blush, you need to go just a shade or two darker to your skin tone, but towards a more warmer shade, the way your skin would look if you pinched your cheeks. It would match the undertones in your skin. Lightly dust it over the apples of the cheeks, and works in light strokes upwards towards your cheekbones and temples, trying to create a hollow effect, or just a natural rosy glow, depends on what look you want.

:crazy:

Yeah, that's just Greek to me. :wink: I have no idea how to tell what undertones my skin has.

And this whole thing about the "apple" of my cheeks - that's the kind of round little spot that forms when you smile, right? Under the eyes and toward the nose? If so, then that's also the cheekbone - how do you stroke upwards toward the cheekbone if you're already on the cheekbone?

....so you can see why I'm such a failure at makeup. :reject:

Thanks for the tips, though!

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

:crazy:

Yeah, that's just Greek to me. :wink: I have no idea how to tell what undertones my skin has.

And this whole thing about the "apple" of my cheeks - that's the kind of round little spot that forms when you smile, right? Under the eyes and toward the nose? If so, then that's also the cheekbone - how do you stroke upwards toward the cheekbone if you're already on the cheekbone?

....so you can see why I'm such a failure at makeup. :reject:

Yep, the apples of your cheeks are the rounded parts when you smile. When you apply blush, just lightly dust over that area, and work backwards and upwards, along the cheekbone, towards the temples. That will define the cheekbones. :)

For eye shadow, it's always best to go with colors that are opposite your eye color on the color wheel. For example, I have green eyes, so purples will always look good on me. Right now, I'm taking a break from it though and doing a smokier eye with eye shadow palette of three colors. The dark brown, which is the darkest shade, goes in the crease of my eyelid. Your darkest color in the palette will always go there. The bronze color which is quite a bit lighter goes on my eyelid itself. There is a pale gold color, which is the lightest. It goes on my browbone, and the inner corner of my eyes. If you follow those rules, 1.darkest color in crease of lid, 2. slightly lighter color on lid, and lightest color on browbone, your eyeshadow should look really pretty.

I actually really hate liquid eyeliner and wouldn't recommend it to most people. I find that it really ages you and generally most high-end makeup artists have moved away from liquid for years now. Plus, if you're not good at applying make-up, nothing looks worse than crooked liquid liner or liner that's been applied on too thick.

anitram said:
I actually really hate liquid eyeliner and wouldn't recommend it to most people. I find that it really ages you and generally most high-end makeup artists have moved away from liquid for years now. Plus, if you're not good at applying make-up, nothing looks worse than crooked liquid liner or liner that's been applied on too thick.

I agree. I used a liquid for awhile, and while I had no trouble applying it, it really make me look harsh. I use a dark brown pencil eyeliner now, and I'm very happy with it.

One more tip, I thought of. It's actually best not to apply eyeliner or mascara to your bottom lid or lashes. It breaks up your features. I never believed that until I actually tried it, and at least on me, I really do look far better with my eyeliner and mascara on top only.

:hmm:

I always thought I needed the eyeliner on the bottom... Maybe I'll give it a try. I can always add the line in...

OK, I tried that. I need the line on the bottom

I think my sister uses a liquid eyeliner, and I always think it looks to harsh, not to mention what was said before about if it is not perfectly on or concealed with eye makeup

I can't go out without eyeliner in my inside lower lids. It's a traditional thing for me, in my culture we've been applying that (it's called kaajal) to the inner lower lids since childhood. It's one thing that looks good on me and not a lot of things do, lol.

:lol:

No.. you can get anything you need on ebay for cheaper :drool: :wink:

Actually since I started this thread, I kind of know how to use eyeshadow now, and I have been using mascara too and I cant tell you how much cuter it makes me look. I always hated mascara because I thought it was goopy and such, guess I haddnt used it since I was a teenager.. well I tried this Lash Blast mascara and WOW I actually have eyelashes that I never knew about!! :ohmy:

Sicy said:
Actually since I started this thread, I kind of know how to use eyeshadow now, and I have been using mascara too and I cant tell you how much cuter it makes me look. I always hated mascara because I thought it was goopy and such, guess I haddnt used it since I was a teenager.. well I tried this Lash Blast mascara and WOW I actually have eyelashes that I never knew about!! :ohmy:
Ok.. get out of my head :eyebrow: I was just about to post about Lash Blast :drool: :drool: :drool: Eez my new best friend :yes:

Haha sweet!! Yeah I just saw a commercial and I thought ok I'll give mascara another shot. And it seriously makes all the difference in the world.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Does eBay give you a free gift for your birthday? :tsk: :wink:

With the money you save by buying what you need on ebay you can go buy your free gift. :tongue: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom