I've Been on Interference So Long...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VDEraEn.png

I've been here so long, I remember Interference back when it looked like this and didn't have forums yet! :sexywink:

I think I even made a personal website that ripped off this style back in the day too...haha. I love it, though--so "Web 1.0."

wow,l
def before I arrived here

Really like the Etch a sketch with the TV interference :applaud:

I remember designing webpages using free space provided by geocities back in 1996 and 1997. The www was so different then.

Didn't they start out giving you something like 5 whole megabytes free?

Even by modern standards, 5 MB can go a long way on a web page.

But yes, a friend of mine was having a discussion with me about different versions of Windows OS. Remember when 512 MB meant you were a god among gods?

Even by modern standards, 5 MB can go a long way on a web page.

But yes, a friend of mine was having a discussion with me about different versions of Windows OS. Remember when 512 MB meant you were a god among gods?

I remember have this feeling about 512 like I knew it wasn't really enough. Like something much better was going to quickly replace it. I think even then, storage and computing space was improving exponentially quickly.

I remember back as a kid our dad bought a 20MB external hard drive for our original Macintosh. That thing was about the size and thickness of a large phone book, and I think retailed for over $1000 at the time.

Yesterday I bought a 2TB portable drive for $90. It's slightly larger than my iPhone 5.

Oh god. The computer I was using when I first joined this site had a 2G hard drive with a zip drive and I thought it was amazing. And then when I came home from college, I was visiting here from dial up still via AOL.

My first computer was so old it didn't even have a mouse. My mother's boss was going to throw it out but gave it to her for me, since we were dirt poor and she sure couldn't afford one of the more recent models my friends had that ran Windows 3.1 or, gasp, Windows 95.

My first new computer had a whopping 2.8GB of storage. We were still so poor that although I got it for Christmas 1997, I didn't get the Internet at home until mid-2002.

I can't remember if I was still using Windows 98 when I first joined Interference, or if I'd already gotten my first computer with XP yet. Windows 98 was kind of awesome because I could change the colors of the bars around the windows, and so of course I made everything navy blue, and had my system fonts as Tempus Sans for a while. Looking back at screenshots from that era is cringey.

I can't remember if I was still using Windows 98 when I first joined Interference, or if I'd already gotten my first computer with XP yet. Windows 98 was kind of awesome because I could change the colors of the bars around the windows, and so of course I made everything navy blue, and had my system fonts as Tempus Sans for a while. Looking back at screenshots from that era is cringey.

EDIT: I found a screenshot that shows my eye-bleeding Windows theme.

olYonON.jpg

And it's of an AOL chat room, no less.

My first computer was so old, it was the monitor and hard drive in a single casing. It was a holdover from the 80s that my dad had tinkered with. I had that thing probably until the mid-late 90s.

My first computer was so old, it was the monitor and hard drive in a single casing. It was a holdover from the 80s that my dad had tinkered with. I had that thing probably until the mid-late 90s.

Sounds like a laptop.

But for real, my parents got a letter in the mail from IBM in the early 2000s saying their first home computer is certified as one of the first in existence. We still have it in our garage.

when i was born, my dad had a commodore 64. i had learned how to use it to play games and browse file directories using command prompts by the time i was two. there was only a keyboard and joystick for input, no mouse. so everything had to be done with text prompts and i memorized all the most important ones so i wouldn't need dad's help if i wanted to play impossible mission or raid on bungeling bay.

when i was three, he upgraded to a commodore 128. a year later i programmed an entire game on my own by copying the code line by line out of an issue of "gazette" magazine. it was called "pirate cove" and it generated a 4x4 grid of ocean with a randomly placed treasure island, an enemy fleet, a monster, and a friendly port. you had to find the port and purchase guns and shovels first, find the enemy pirates and defeat them with the guns you bought, then find the treasure island and dig up the gold. everything was on 5" floppy disks and i remember going through boxes and boxes of them to find the disk with the game i wanted.

my grandpa also had an amiga at this time with totally different games, so naturally i somehow knew all the commands and how to navigate that entirely different system like a pro too when i was kindergarten age. nobody was getting between me and my games of ports of call (also, why the fuck was i so into a complex cargo shipping simulator game when i was five years old? i was such a strange kid).

at six or seven we upgraded to some IBM 386 machine that used a visual DOS shell and had a mouse and hard drive - i remember installing a point-and-click sherlock holmes adventure game that took up a whopping 80 MB of drive space, which was something like 50% of the entire capacity. the thing came on ten 3" floppy disks and took about three hours to install. i spent entire days playing that and gorillas.

when i was 10 we got an IBM computer with a pentium chip in it and windows 95 and i got lost in tie fighter, civilization, age of empires, and (once we got non-AOL dial-up) ICQ.

i still look back and i'm kind of amazed that when i was a toddler i knew how to navigate a computer like a pro, search disks, run programs, and create entire games using only DOS text commands. it's crazy how much easier computers have become to use in the last 20 years.

OUr first PC was a Tulip with windows 3.1 on it. I literally typed too fast for that pc, it froze if you did that. Ended up blowing it up with a floppydisc with pokemon Blue on it that turned out to be some nasty virus overheating the pc. Smoke came out of it and everything. Good times, good times.

After that we got Windows ME. :tsk:

A quick search tells me it's 376KB. Pretty incredible such an expansive game was so tiny.

in middle school we used to all each have a floppy disk with a super nintendo emulator and a couple SNES roms on it to play whenever we had some time to kill near one of the school computers. those games were pretty tiny back then because of the physical limits of the cartridge memory, which is why games were almost always made for either PC or consoles but very rarely both (and they were universally terrible if they were made for both because of all the restrictions and extra development cost). this didn't start to change until the playstation came out and console games could be put on CDs, and even then it didn't catch on really until PS2/xbox because the main competitor to the PS1 still used carts (N64). also, the early CD-ROM games took *forever* to load - i remember starting up metal gear solid or gran turismo and then going downstairs to grab a drink/snack, say hi to my dad, come back upstairs and it still wasn't finished loading up the level or race. the memory card thing was an issue back then too, whereas you can save a game directly to a cartridge and just bring the cart over to your friend's place and keep playing your saved game. world's biggest dilemma to a 12 year old boy on christmas day in 1998: your only memory card is full of savegames you're in the middle of so you don't want to delete any of them, but if you turn off the system you lose all the progress you just made playing your new game all afternoon. glad those days are past us.

Last edited:
Pokemon Blue fit on a floppy disc?!

Yep :) Those old games were pretty tiny. It worked for a very short time before the computer died. My mom got it from a father of one of her schoolkids (she's a teacher), no idea if she ever talked to him about it. :lol:

haha oh man. the first computer we had was actually just a word processor i think, we had it back in the early 90s. although i think i remember playing a video game (because as an aside, my nintendo was in another room so it couldn't have been that) on it so maybe it was an actual computer. i remember the game, but not its name. ah well.

we then got a computer with windows 3.1 right before we moved to memphis in late 94, still secondhand. it took like 15 minutes just to load up wordperfect on it.

the next computer we got in 97 was also secondhand, this one had windows 95 on it...and it had a 56k modem on it so we could finally go online! our previous computer was so old, a computer store told us there was no way we could put a modem on it, which in retrospect i find hard to believe since they made modems when the computer would've been manufactured. i guess what he meant was just that any modems made were too fast for the computer. but the computer we had with windows 95 was still so slow (i remember it had a 1 gb hard drive), it couldn't even play mp3s without them skipping.

i spent so much time online that we were one of the first people in our city to switch to cable internet in early 98 so i wouldn't tie up the phone line anymore. then that computer got struck by lightning (no joke) and got fried, so we had to get a new one, the family's first brand new computer, complete with windows me! :lmao:

Boy, this thread is like a book you can't put down. :)

Can't believe nobody mentioned Jick yet. I've been on Interference so long I remember when he was both pro-Pop and anti-Pop.

(Pop as in the U2 album of course.)

Back
Top Bottom