Is goat's milk ice cream any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I've seen this stuff at Mother's. It says it's "lactose friendly" which would be great for me. I don't mind taking two Lactaid to have a small bowl of the cow's milk ice cream, but it would be nice to be able to actually digest the stuff without having to take pills.

It's seven buck a pint, though, so I'd like to know what I'm getting.

Have you eaten goat's milk ice cream? Does it taste good?

I have...the last time we visited my in-laws', they'd found some at a Whole Foods or something and bought it for me (I don't know what brand it was; it's not available in my area). Sheesh, $7 a pint! I keep meaning to try to make some on my own, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've also had sheep's-milk sorbet, but that was in France.

I loved both of them, but keep in mind, because of my allergies I've never in my life eaten cow's-milk anything so I have no, er, cow-based expectations of what ice cream "should" taste like. I guess I'd suggest that, assuming it comes in several flavors, for your first taste you should maybe choose one flavored with something that goat's milk is known for going well with--like caramel (good Mexican caramels are usually made with goat's milk), or dates or figs with nuts, something like that. Don't start with mint chip or Oreo chunk, and don't buy straight vanilla and slather chocolate syrup on it. At least that would be my advice...

Last edited:
hmm

The only two flavors that Mother's carries are chocolate and vanilla. But you like the taste, so it can't be horrible. I love real ice cream and I can eat it with pills, but, like I said, it would be nice to just eat it and not have to deal.

I hesitate because of the water buffalo milk I had in India. The only milk served in India (at least where I was) was water buffalo milk and it was vile beyond all description. I drank it, warm and cold, because it was pretty much the only source of protein other than eggs or soy, neither of which I can digest successfully. (Damn vegetarians.) So now I worry that goat's milk might be as disgusting.

Thanks for your input, yolland. :)

You can't have any soy at all? I was going to suggest buying Tofuti products but it's soy based. I'm sort of lactose intolerant but not as bad as the rest of my family. I have no desire to really find out so I just pretend like I am and take a pill before eating anything dairy other than cheese. I gave up ice cream for years until I found the Tofuti stuff.

To answer your question though, I've never had goat's milk ice cream. We use a lot of goat's milk cheese in various dishes at my work and I can't tell the difference between what would be from a cow and what is from a goat. My professional opinion would be that I really think this would just taste like chocolate or vanilla ice cream. They probably add so much flavoring that you wouldn't be able to tell you weren't eating cow's milk ice cream.

The only thing I've ever had is goat cheese, but, it tasted just like normal cheese. I'd have to think the ice cream was the same as well?

A quick internet search seems to say it tastes just as good if not better, though.

I drink goat's milk and use goat's cheese, butter, yogurt, cream, etc. and like them. I've never had goat's milk ice cream, but the others taste similar to cow's milk products, just a bit more...goaty (for lack of a better word!). I'm lactose intolerant and haven't noticed too much of a difference in how I digest goat's milk products, but I feel a bit better about consuming them since the goats are kept in better conditions than most cows.

You can't have any soy at all?
No. It's unpleasant when I do.

I'm lactose intolerant and haven't noticed too much of a difference in how I digest goat's milk products, but I feel a bit better about consuming them since the goats are kept in better conditions than most cows.
So you still have to take Lactaid when you eat goat's milk products?

Thanks for all the input everybody!

No. It's unpleasant when I do.

So you still have to take Lactaid when you eat goat's milk products?

I don't take Lactaid (I just deal with the consequences when I have dairy), but I would have to take it when eating goat's milk products if I did. That said, it seems that a lot of people with lactose intolerance have no problem with goat's milk. I have a really messed up digestive system (I can't even drink water without having stomach pains), so it may be something other than the lactose in goat's milk that's the problem for me.

It's true, some lactose intolerant people have the problem no matter which animal's milk it is, while others only have it with cow's milk (dairy allergies are the same way). But if you (martha) were able to drink water buffalo milk with no ill effects other than disliking the taste, then that's *probably* a sign that you're only intolerant of cow's milk.

I don't drink water buffalo milk when I'm in India (or anywhere), because I discovered the hard way from trying raita made with it that I'm allergic to it too. But the only complaint I've personally heard from travelers to India before this is that it was a bit too rich for them. I wonder if maybe the milk you were drinking was simply poor quality--subpar fodder and/or sanitation will make any milk taste bad, and dairy production in India is very decentralized, which can easily lead to quality control issues if the co-op system of the state in question doesn't have its act together. There are subtle differences between the tastes of various common animal milks, but if it's hit-you-over-the-head-grossout different, then that's almost certainly a problem with the production rather than the intrinsic qualities of the milk. Still, personal expectations are a big factor in whether something tastes good, especially when you're talking flavor combinations--for instance, I've heard more than one person say they enjoy drinking goat's milk straight for variety, but when they try putting it on cereal, the result somehow doesn't "taste right." Which is why I was thinking it might be good if ice cream flavors that goat's milk is known for having a natural affinity for were available.

There are commercial coconut-milk-based ice creams out there, too, so if you decide you don't like the goat's milk variety and want to try a non-soy vegan alternative, you might give that a shot, assuming you like the flavor of coconut.

Last edited:
I went ahead and took the Lactaid with the water buffalo milk, just to be on the safe side. I didn't need any digestive issues in a land where to go to the can required thigh muscles of iron and an affinity for rinsing.

All the WB milk I had tasted the same and icky to me, from the hotel in Mumbai to the Pilgrim Centre near Ahmednagar. I think I just didn't like the taste. I wondered at first why it tasted just so different and weird, unlike any cow's milk I'd ever had. I though maybe the cows were fed something different. Then I was told it was WB milk.

I was thinking about trying the coconut-based stuff as well. I like the taste of coconut.

I don't know, but I have used goat's milk soap. And it was very soothing for my sensitive skin. I'm not kidding. I break out with a rash, if I use anything that is harsh.

Martha have you tried gelato? That might also be a good substitute. It's still dairy but it has a lot less butterfat in it than regular ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom