How important is a good engagement ring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rivalsrivals

Babyface
A question for both genders. Guys, do you feel the need to go all out and spend thousands on an engagement ring to please the girl? Ladies, does the ring or amount spend actually increase how much love you feel for your man? do you care about size of the ring?
I don't think size is an issue, as long as it fits your finger, right? But my gf doesn't think so. The other day, I bought this ring for her.
Who knows, she said it not big enough. And she even implied the size is sort of matters.. If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?

My Fiance didn't really care (for lack of a better word) about the size of the ring, it was more the style and color type (white, gold ect ect) I can't remember how much we spent...it was little pricey but I paid it off in installments over 12 months. At the end of the day you want to settle on something you both like that's not a ridiculous price (unless of course you can afford ridiculous things, if you can, can I have your banking details? :wink:)

me and my hub chose my engagement ring together - we didn't have a penny between us - we were both students, and it cost less than £50 at the time (which felt like an absolute fortune!)... it is beautiful, opal and rubies, and i thought it was the prettiest ring i ever saw, and i still do... it didn't even occur to me to think of fleecing him for diamonds or massive rocks - damn!! lol :wink:

As a girl who's probably never going to get proposed to since her boyfriend doesn't believe in marriage (and frankly, neither do I), I am speaking somewhat hypothetically here.

But if it were me, no, the size of the rock doesn't matter. I wouldn't give a damn whether he got it out of a gumball machine or had a one-of-a-kind ring made just for me. What would matter to me is what the ring symbolizes; a promise to be partners through thick and thin and stand by each other no matter what. Whether it's a princess-cut 3-karat solitaire set on a platinum band or not shouldn't be the prime concern. And before I go off sounding like Tyler Durden talking about how advertising has us chasing after shit we don't need, I'm irritated by people like this. It doesn't matter what buying the ring and giving it to her meant to you, it's not the ring she wanted.

And I'm going to stop there before I say something regrettable.

As a girl who's probably never going to get proposed to since her boyfriend doesn't believe in marriage (and frankly, neither do I), I am speaking somewhat hypothetically here.

But if it were me, no, the size of the rock doesn't matter. I wouldn't give a damn whether he got it out of a gumball machine or had a one-of-a-kind ring made just for me. What would matter to me is what the ring symbolizes; a promise to be partners through thick and thin and stand by each other no matter what. Whether it's a princess-cut 3-karat solitaire set on a platinum band or not shouldn't be the prime concern. And before I go off sounding like Tyler Durden talking about how advertising has us chasing after shit we don't need, I'm irritated by people like this. It doesn't matter what buying the ring and giving it to her meant to you, it's not the ring she wanted.

And I'm going to stop there before I say something regrettable.

:up:

yep...

these are my thoughts exactly... it's the meaning that counts... and a reaction like that would certainly make me think twice about my relationship...

best of luck rivalsrivals...

eta: ha, unless you have TONS of spare cash and are being a total cheapskate?! yeah, then if i were your gf i would feel pretty pissed too :D

To me as a girl, not very important, but most things that other girls obsess about mean little to nothing to me so take that with a grain of salt. I think it's ridiculous to see my friends spending what could be a down payment on a house on their rings. I don't like diamonds anyway and find them overpriced, plus I don't want some conflict diamond on my hand. My engagement ring is my birthstone, blue sapphire, which is also one of my favorite colors. I tore my grandparent's house apart looking for my grandma's ring but we never found it, otherwise I would have had her stone re-set (she was way smaller than me). I'm honestly not sure how much my ring cost, but being a gem I doubt more than a few hundred dollars, at least I hope not! Any more I'd rather save for something useful or use for travel.

don't want some conflict diamond on my hand.

This. Try to buy a diamond that is certified to be from a mine/country that doesn't have blood on it's hands. It may be a little pricey and you may have to come to Canada to get it lol, but think of it this way it is the thing she is going to wear most, if not 24/7. Pays to get it right (and by right I don't mean lavish or extravagant per se, unless that's what y'all are accustomed to)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom