For Dog Lovers...Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same problem. Had to choose between an ATTS test (only done once a year in my entire state), flyball tournament, SDA trial, and a wedding. Oh and no matter which one of those I choose, I still miss normal Schutzhund training.

Pan has starting picking fights with Nikon and nicked Nikon above the eye during one of their squabbles so now Nikon is sporting a clump of white neo-predef powder (my doggy cure-all).
7717692746_bcf2d4514f_z.jpg

Realized I never put pictures of Frank, my French Bulldog puppy, here.

CIMG0839.jpg

CIMG0835.jpg

Pictures are from a few weeks ago (he already looks small to me in these), his ear has popped back up (apparently pretty common for this breed for them to go up and down during teething) His eyes aren't really blue, the flash did that.

I don't know how I've missed these wonderful dog threads! I guess I don't venture into this forum enough.

Here are my "puppies" who turned 6 this past July. They were born 10 days apart. I obtained them both on Labor Day weekend in 2006. This is a fairly recent picture in my new home by my front door (hence the tail wags).

255763_10150216386981919_5034478_n.jp

Hey, Liesje, we're thinking of adopting a German Shepherd dog for my little brother as a companion. Any tips/advice?

My advice would be to be careful about the dog and where you're getting it from. GSDs are currently full of health and temperament issues. Be prepared to sort through all of that and also make sure a GSD is *really* what you want. Too many people get a GSD for looks or their nobility and are not prepared for dogs that are strong willed, have higher energy, and can be very protective. These are not bad traits when one is prepared for them and the dog has sound nerves.

:lol:!

Audrey is now creeping up on being 3 months old :cute:

Photobucket, however, seems to be down, so the picture I just took will have to wait.

So, last Saturday morning my two GSDs got into a spat and I waited until I thought I had a clear shot of breaking it up, but when Nikon started to back off Pan took one last cheap shot and got my hand instead. I had several x-rays to rule out broken bones or tooth chips (from the dog) in the wounds and have to take various oral antibiotics. One of my dogs had two punctures to his leg so when I got done in the ER I cleaned him up and put him on antibiotics. One of the wounds on the top of my hand was a tear and I had three large sutures. It's been seven days now and I've done a super job of keeping it clean, slathered with antibiotic creams, and wrapped. In fact just now was the first time I've really washed it more roughly and have it exposed. It still looks pretty nasty though (see spoiler). I can't wait for the stitches to be taken out. The real damage was two of the puncture wounds and the crushing bite. Luckily nothing showed up broken but my finger feels like I pointed it out straight and rammed it into a cement wall. I suspect it will be stiff for a long time (and I already have a tendency to develop chronic inflammation/arthritis in joints that have had "trauma").

I've actually sold the dog that started the fight, not because of this bite though, he did not mean to bite me and recoiled as soon as he hit my flesh which actually gave me the chance to stop the fight for good. He's a total love with people, kids, and all the other dogs he plays with but for some reason decided he wanted to eliminate my other competition dog (who is twice as old, more mature, more protective of me and our household so not willing to let some young gun try to boss him around). I sold him to a really good friend several weeks ago and was keeping him these last few weeks since my friends were preparing to move out of state. They came and picked him up Thursday afternoon on their way to their new property. I'll really miss him but I do not miss the recent fights between the dogs or having to constantly separate them. The fights we've had (including the one where I got bit) were all due to accidents like us not closing a gate in the house all the way and one dog following through to the side of the house with the other dog and then a fight breaking out. I'm not scared of either of my dogs or scared of breaking up fights but it was escalating too far and getting too stressful for all the humans and dogs. I was lucky that my good friend likes my dog and offered to buy him and that everyone agreed (me, his breeder, the other people we train with who know both of us and our dogs). Also we got Phil a new vehicle with the money from the dog so we can't complain about that. I was already stressing about Phil driving another Michigan winter in a 17 year old vehicle that was already on its last legs when we got it years ago.

7903949098_55f6e90eb4_z.jpg

Lies - I had a similar crushing injury, not from a dog bite but when a garage door fell on my hand and crushed it (yeah, don't even ask), back when I was 18. Miraculously I had only one broken bone but because of the crushing there was a lot of soft tissue damage and I remember it was a real grind to get it back to feeling ok. I think with dogs, especially GSDs which have large and powerful jaws, the pressure over the surface area would be very high as well.

That's too bad to hear about Pan and I'm sure you guys will miss him. What a gorgeous dog. Loved seeing his videos too. I guess that's one of my hesitations with getting multiple dogs, as I asked you before. I know that you got them at different times and I think that Nikon was already an adult dog (or was he still a youth?) when you got Pan, and the issue is usually picking up two pups together. Is it something that you saw coming for a while, i.e. were they incompatible as dogs or was it just something that happened over time as Pan grew older? My future SIL has a female labradoodle and is considering getting a second one but your story makes me a bit weary. Maybe unnecessarily so - obviously lots of people have multiple dogs and you guys still have Coke, but I guess my question is how early can you see these types of fit issues emerge?

Well that made me sad :(. I understand the reasons though, and hope you're doing better, Lies!

Years back I got bit by a dog at the animal shelter but I had so many layers of winter clothes, there were no punctures. However the bruising was so bad it took 6 months before I could squeeze my arm and not have it hurt. My entire left side was a rainbow for several weeks!

I think two intact males is always a risk, which I knew going in. Especially in my case having two intact males, quite close in age (Pan turned 2 on Thursday and Nikon turned 4 around the same time), and living in such a small house/property without a way to kennel. If I lived in the suburbs I would have a kennel outside or garage/outdoor kennel runs. I don't like purely outdoor/kennel dogs but Pan is a dog that is actually more independent for a GSD and doesn't mind spending hours outside by himself. But because of where we live it's just not realistic. Phil and I decided before we had Nikon even that we will not put up with dogs that can't live peacefully. In this case it was really an easy decision. My friend is better suited for Pan's temperament, and honestly I probably would have sold him even if Nikon and Pan were still best friends. Yes there were indications earlier that Nikon and Pan were not going to work out but I did not expect it to escalate THAT quickly. This was Nikon and Pan two days before their first fight.
7654250074_9b273ee1cf.jpg

They have never really been friends though. Nikon, though he is protective of me and usually aloof with other dogs, is VERY tolerant with puppies so he's always been great when I have a puppy/foster/friend's puppy come over. He showed Pan the ropes when Pan was a baby but beyond that they just sort of coexisted as if they tolerated each other and at times would do nice submissive things like liking faces or acting like in that picture. I would say that Nikon was more protective of Pan as part of his pack than he was his friend. Pan has always pestered him relentlessly; he has high prey drive and a very low threshold for it (which means he's interested in anything that moves) so he always chases Nikon around nipping at him and for the most part Nikon just ignored him.

I believe what prompted the escalation to fighting is Pan's maturity. GSDs mature very slowly and if I had to guess when a problem would surface it would have been exactly this time. Pan has always been very social with dogs and people and not at all protective of me or defensive but that's actually not correct behavior for a GSD. I think he just didn't really know how to act when his hormones finally kicked in.

It's hard because *I* own and handle my dogs, if that makes sense? Phil is just sort of there. If my dogs are fighting and there's any hope of intervening, we either have to physically wrestle them apart or hope that they both decided to listen to me and knock it off. Before the fights, Pan started doing this thing where if he was near me and Nikon started to come over, Pan would hackle and give a low growl. Nikon would usually growl back but turn away to avoid a conflict. I would verbally and physically correct Pan and then prevent him from being near me for a time. It was like a resource guarding of me but in this case neither dog is really right or wrong. When we had the couple of fights, they were always instigated by Pan but would have been finished by Nikon. He won't start a fight but he's not going to let a little punk tell him what he can or can't do in his own house!

This is not a dominance/alpha thing; that theory is outdated and debunked. The other problem is that Pan has always had trouble figuring out "no reward markers" if you're familiar with training theories, and why he doesn't earn something. So say he starts growling, Nikon growls back, and then Pan can't just take that correction and move on he gets overly defensive about himself. He's a great dog and fun to train but he's also dumb, in a way. He's not very good at problem solving and he tends to go into a frantic state of drive (whether it's food, prey, etc) so quickly that he can't ever figure out why he's in the situation he's in and how to fix that. By contrast Nikon is a thinking dog, easy to "freeshape", a great problem solver, much more calculating and discerning with how he approaches a situation that might involve conflict or stress.

Also there is the breed aspect. No offense but unlatching the jaws of two fully grown male German Shepherds is quite different than breaking up to Shih Tzus. These dogs are bred to literally crush a threat. Pan especially is known for the power behind his bite. That's one of the reasons I bought him. When they bite for real they use their entire mouths and crush with their molars. If you get in the middle of that by accident you don't have any bite inhibition their to save you (for example sometimes I tease my dogs by pinching their toes and they play-bite by putting their mouth on me but obviously are using bite inhibition). Pan would probably be missing an ear if I hadn't stepped in eventually.

So anyway, to answer more succinctly I would say it really depends on breed and how the breed matures. I know nothing about Labradoodles. Pan and Nikon now hate each other's guts but are both fine with Coke, fine with all my foster dogs, and Pan is fine with all the dogs in his new home including another intact male GSD. If the dog is neutered young that makes a huge difference. Coke is not even considered a male to Nikon. I watched him the other day sniffing Coke's pee and Nikon was drooling and chattering the same way he does when he is scenting a bitch, lol. Most people I know have two or more male dogs in their home but most of them are neutered and were neutered pretty young. I don't alter my dogs unless there's a reason to do it so that changes the dynamics quite a bit. Would I get another male GSD? Oh for sure! I'm not actively looking and not because I'm sour about this whole thing - not at all - I'm just going to take it easy this winter and focus on finishing some higher level titles with Nikon and do the fostering thing for a while.

I don't regret owning Pan or the decision to sell him and like I said, the fighting was really only one aspect of that decision. He is just a better fit where he is now. I've never been attached to him the way that I am to Nikon and Coke. It's not Pan's fault he's just a different dog and I got him for different reasons than Nikon and Coke. I had hoped to compete with him at a much higher level and it was hard letting that go but I realized it's selfish of me to keep a dog under stress simply as my project rather than my pet. His new owner is a better trainer than I am and Pan will be in a great club that is already familiar with his pedigree.

Years back I got bit by a dog at the animal shelter but I had so many layers of winter clothes, there were no punctures. However the bruising was so bad it took 6 months before I could squeeze my arm and not have it hurt. My entire left side was a rainbow for several weeks!

I think two intact males is always a risk, which I knew going in. Especially in my case having two intact males, quite close in age (Pan turned 2 on Thursday and Nikon turned 4 around the same time), and living in such a small house/property without a way to kennel. If I lived in the suburbs I would have a kennel outside or garage/outdoor kennel runs. I don't like purely outdoor/kennel dogs but Pan is a dog that is actually more independent for a GSD and doesn't mind spending hours outside by himself. But because of where we live it's just not realistic. Phil and I decided before we had Nikon even that we will not put up with dogs that can't live peacefully. In this case it was really an easy decision. My friend is better suited for Pan's temperament, and honestly I probably would have sold him even if Nikon and Pan were still best friends. Yes there were indications earlier that Nikon and Pan were not going to work out but I did not expect it to escalate THAT quickly. This was Nikon and Pan two days before their first fight.
7654250074_9b273ee1cf.jpg

They have never really been friends though. Nikon, though he is protective of me and usually aloof with other dogs, is VERY tolerant with puppies so he's always been great when I have a puppy/foster/friend's puppy come over. He showed Pan the ropes when Pan was a baby but beyond that they just sort of coexisted as if they tolerated each other and at times would do nice submissive things like liking faces or acting like in that picture. I would say that Nikon was more protective of Pan as part of his pack than he was his friend. Pan has always pestered him relentlessly; he has high prey drive and a very low threshold for it (which means he's interested in anything that moves) so he always chases Nikon around nipping at him and for the most part Nikon just ignored him.

I believe what prompted the escalation to fighting is Pan's maturity. GSDs mature very slowly and if I had to guess when a problem would surface it would have been exactly this time. Pan has always been very social with dogs and people and not at all protective of me or defensive but that's actually not correct behavior for a GSD. I think he just didn't really know how to act when his hormones finally kicked in.

It's hard because *I* own and handle my dogs, if that makes sense? Phil is just sort of there. If my dogs are fighting and there's any hope of intervening, we either have to physically wrestle them apart or hope that they both decided to listen to me and knock it off. Before the fights, Pan started doing this thing where if he was near me and Nikon started to come over, Pan would hackle and give a low growl. Nikon would usually growl back but turn away to avoid a conflict. I would verbally and physically correct Pan and then prevent him from being near me for a time. It was like a resource guarding of me but in this case neither dog is really right or wrong. When we had the couple of fights, they were always instigated by Pan but would have been finished by Nikon. He won't start a fight but he's not going to let a little punk tell him what he can or can't do in his own house!

This is not a dominance/alpha thing; that theory is outdated and debunked. The other problem is that Pan has always had trouble figuring out "no reward markers" if you're familiar with training theories, and why he doesn't earn something. So say he starts growling, Nikon growls back, and then Pan can't just take that correction and move on he gets overly defensive about himself. He's a great dog and fun to train but he's also dumb, in a way. He's not very good at problem solving and he tends to go into a frantic state of drive (whether it's food, prey, etc) so quickly that he can't ever figure out why he's in the situation he's in and how to fix that. By contrast Nikon is a thinking dog, easy to "freeshape", a great problem solver, much more calculating and discerning with how he approaches a situation that might involve conflict or stress.

Also there is the breed aspect. No offense but unlatching the jaws of two fully grown male German Shepherds is quite different than breaking up to Shih Tzus. These dogs are bred to literally crush a threat. Pan especially is known for the power behind his bite. That's one of the reasons I bought him. When they bite for real they use their entire mouths and crush with their molars. If you get in the middle of that by accident you don't have any bite inhibition their to save you (for example sometimes I tease my dogs by pinching their toes and they play-bite by putting their mouth on me but obviously are using bite inhibition). Pan would probably be missing an ear if I hadn't stepped in eventually.

So anyway, to answer more succinctly I would say it really depends on breed and how the breed matures. I know nothing about Labradoodles. Pan and Nikon now hate each other's guts but are both fine with Coke, fine with all my foster dogs, and Pan is fine with all the dogs in his new home including another intact male GSD. If the dog is neutered young that makes a huge difference. Coke is not even considered a male to Nikon. I watched him the other day sniffing Coke's pee and Nikon was drooling and chattering the same way he does when he is scenting a bitch, lol. Most people I know have two or more male dogs in their home but most of them are neutered and were neutered pretty young. I don't alter my dogs unless there's a reason to do it so that changes the dynamics quite a bit. Would I get another male GSD? Oh for sure! I'm not actively looking and not because I'm sour about this whole thing - not at all - I'm just going to take it easy this winter and focus on finishing some higher level titles with Nikon and do the fostering thing for a while.

I don't regret owning Pan or the decision to sell him and like I said, the fighting was really only one aspect of that decision. He is just a better fit where he is now. I've never been attached to him the way that I am to Nikon and Coke. It's not Pan's fault he's just a different dog and I got him for different reasons than Nikon and Coke. I had hoped to compete with him at a much higher level and it was hard letting that go but I realized it's selfish of me to keep a dog under stress simply as my project rather than my pet. His new owner is a better trainer than I am and Pan will be in a great club that is already familiar with his pedigree.

I'm sorry you had to go through all this. That really sucks. I still feel guilty for returning Natasha but I don't regret it since she was trying to kill Wally any chance she got. Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to deal with all this.....

Thanks Lies, that makes a lot of sense to me, especially given that Pan just turned 2. Still a very hard situation to be in but I'm really glad that you have found him a great home with people that you know will keep him doing the things he enjoys and is really good at as well.

Question for you - I know you'd said that the GSDs are your both dogs and you're responsible for their care, training and so on. How responsive are they to Phil? For example, if you're out of town and he is alone with them, taking them on walks, etc? Would they come to him if he'd let them off the leash in an off-leash area or on the beach, would they heel when they walk next to him, and so on? I ask because as I'd said to you before we'd like to get a puppy over the next year or so and while I don't think we'd quite have the set-up that you do, the dog would still be mostly trained by me and be more "my dog" than both of ours. Not because my fiance doesn't care or doesn't want the dog but because he works more hours and is home less and also because he isn't as interested in the finer points of dog training beyond sitting, coming to him and that sort of thing. I don't have any experience with this as our Collies were always family dogs which responded to both our parents and were trained/cared for by them equally (though interestingly now that I think about the resource guarding theory, they both would have prioritized my Dad in that respect).

I have friends who are dealing with a similar situation, but with cats. They are at the point where their lives are basically revolving around how to keep the two cats who absolutely hate each other (one is an older cat, one is a young cat that they got as a kitten not too long ago). The cats never took to each other but while the younger one was a small kitten they kind of co-existed while ignoring each other and claiming different space in the house. That eventually escalated to physical attacks, even worthy of vet visits and treatment. Now it's a constant struggle of basically keeping them totally segregated, which is harder with cats and dogs because baby gates don't work, the only thing that works is shutting them inside bedrooms. Which results in scratching, cats launching themselves against the door and so on.

I know that this isn't the cat thread but the reason I brought it up is because you and samralf both seem to have gone through this and they are now getting to the point of making a similar decision. When I told the story to some other friends and commented about how it's for the best because it's really a totally untenable situation to have two grown adults having to physically break up animals, resulting in bites and scratches even if inadvertent, how it's untenable to live in a pretty small condo that's basically been deemed WW3 war zone by these cats and so on, they looked at me like I had suggested something horrific and launched into "they are both family." OK, I'm sorry but it's not some kind of failure for this couple as pet owners that they have not managed to force two animals that despise each other to get over it. And if you really care for them both, then shouldn't you want to find a better situation for everyone?

My Pan with his new owner. Yeah he looks like he *really* misses me....NOT! He's in his glory playing fetch (without Nikon always beating him to the ball) and running around with their other dogs (another GSD, two Corgis, a Border Collie, and a Kelpie).
7905498374_7ac7075755.jpg

Martina I will come back and answer the questions about GSDs. Our Internet was down all day so now I'm at my parents and my mom is yacking at me.... ;)

Question for you - I know you'd said that the GSDs are your both dogs and you're responsible for their care, training and so on. How responsive are they to Phil? For example, if you're out of town and he is alone with them, taking them on walks, etc? Would they come to him if he'd let them off the leash in an off-leash area or on the beach, would they heel when they walk next to him, and so on? I ask because as I'd said to you before we'd like to get a puppy over the next year or so and while I don't think we'd quite have the set-up that you do, the dog would still be mostly trained by me and be more "my dog" than both of ours. Not because my fiance doesn't care or doesn't want the dog but because he works more hours and is home less and also because he isn't as interested in the finer points of dog training beyond sitting, coming to him and that sort of thing. I don't have any experience with this as our Collies were always family dogs which responded to both our parents and were trained/cared for by them equally (though interestingly now that I think about the resource guarding theory, they both would have prioritized my Dad in that respect).

I get looks from a lot of people when I refer to the GSDs as "my" dogs and Coke as "our" dog but that's the truth. Phil loves dogs and comes from a family that always had a dog (whereas my family always wanted one but couldn't afford one) but in his family a dog means a lazy pet type dog. My dogs (the GSDs) are working bred dogs. They are great house pets too but with all the training and work I do with them, and being a more velcro, one-person sort of dog, the relationship is with me. That said they do respect Phil and respond to him as far as basic commands. They have never, ever so much as flashed a tooth to him and I absolutely would not allow that. I can deal with dogs that are aggressive toward each other but not toward any human in my house. Pan actually loved Phil, I really think he wanted to be Phil's dog and that was another factor that lead me to the decision to sell him. He's more of a man's dog and now has a male owner. For Nikon's first few years, Phil barely existed to him but during that time Phil was never around (full time student also working full time second and third shifts). Now that we both have "normal" jobs and a more routine schedule, I've noticed that Nikon is becoming more of a family dog and not just going to Phil for necessities like food and potty breaks but showing him affection. Phil said that if anything ever happened to me, he would keep Nikon. On some levels, to an outsider it wouldn't appear that Nikon is any more my dog than Phil's dog but when you see him actually work, like high levels of obedience, protection scenarios and those sorts of things, there's just no way he would work for Phil the way he works with/for me. Phil takes him on walks, takes him jogging, he can do all the normal pet-dog type stuff with Nikon. If I'm around, Nikon will sometimes blow Phil off if he tells Nikon to do something he doesn't really want to do but Phil says if I'm gone, Nikon always listens to him.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a dog being in a household where he is going to be more one person's dog than the other's. I just placed a foster dog in a home where the wife was dying to get a dog and the husband is pretty indifferent. My friends (who bought Pan) have six dogs and they are all his or hers. The woman is responsible for her three and the man is responsible for his three. As long as the animals don't cause resentment or problems with the relationship I don't see the big deal. On the other side of things, Phil is into a lot of sports I couldn't care less about. I've never been to one of is soccer games and that doesn't bother him. He plays soccer with his friends and I train dogs with my friends. I know if it were up to him we'd just have one low-maintenance family dog (Coke) so I don't force any responsibility for my dogs onto Phil. If they make a mess, I clean it. I make sure they are fed, pottied, taken to the vet. If I need him to help with something I ask him specifically. If I had kept Pan, I would have boarded one or both of my GSDs when I go to DC next month because Phil has a teacher's conference the same week.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I don't see a problem with one person being more responsible than the other either, my only worry was that the dog would not be responsive/helpful to the spouse which of course is something I wouldn't want. Especially since whatever breed we get will end up being a large breed - I definitely want to make sure the dog is well trained and that both of us can be reliably "in charge" so to speak.

How did you deal with Nikon/Pan in the last few weeks if they couldn't stand each other? Did you have to crate them or physically separate them the whole time?

In my case the only way I could get Natasha (GSD pup) off of Wally (Shetland Sheepdog) was to grab her by her collar and physically open her jaws. Our house was too small to do the crate and rotate so the only option was to spend a lot of time outdoors or if we were inside, then she was in her pen.

I always have had multiple dogs, and when the younger dog hits two, that's when the fights would start. With my two Shelties, I didn't trust either of them for me to physically stop it so I would look for something to distract them but before I could find anything, one of them would trip and the fight would be over. My Collie and poodle mix were another story. I trusted my Collie so I would grab his hind legs and pull away from the other dog. Sam would whip his head around but he would see it was me and submit to me and let me lead him. I was prepared to let go and back off if he kept coming at me.

As for my dogs listening and obeying me and my spouse. I do the training, grooming, and most of the feeding. My dogs listen to me and don't really listen to my husband. He mainly pets them, plays with them, and sometimes feeds them. If he has food and asks them to do a command then they would listen. The more involved with them then the more they respect and listen to him.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I don't see a problem with one person being more responsible than the other either, my only worry was that the dog would not be responsive/helpful to the spouse which of course is something I wouldn't want. Especially since whatever breed we get will end up being a large breed - I definitely want to make sure the dog is well trained and that both of us can be reliably "in charge" so to speak.

I think just the fact that you are/will be living together gives him an advantage. GSDs are often one person dogs but they also have a high pack drive. They learn who is in their pack and who is not. Like I was saying earlier, Pan and Nikon have never been really good friends but they were protective of each other, as part of our pack. I've noticed lately that if we're out with Nikon and Phil leaves (like if we're walking at the park and Phil wanders away from us) Nikon gets a little anxious and wants him back. While my dogs don't view Phil in the same light as me, he's definitely more important (or whatever word makes sense) to them than any of my other friends or family. I think Nikon would be more responsive to Phil but he doesn't have the same way with the GSDs that I do, if that makes sense? The way that they play, tug, train, etc feels very natural to me even with the drive, energy, and their size and power. I've watched other people try to mimic how I interact with my dogs and it looks very awkward. If Phil can't get Nikon to listen he knows he just needs to grab some high value food or a favorite toy and Nikon will listen :)

How did you deal with Nikon/Pan in the last few weeks if they couldn't stand each other? Did you have to crate them or physically separate them the whole time?

I divided my house in two and they took turns being on "my side" of the house. Pan also likes to be outside and is fine out there by himself so he spent almost all evenings outside. During the day he was still in a large crate anyway but I also used a gate so Nikon couldn't be in the same room and pester him in the crate. Luckily they never were trying to get at each other. They would look at each other through the baby gate or the back door and sometimes even sniff at each other. Also after having two fights they were both quite wary of each other and didn't really want to go near the other. I'd have to escort Pan downstairs and out the back door in the morning because he would act like Nikon was waiting around every corner ready to attack.

I don't think Pan is missing my house AT ALL!!! Nikon and Coke never wanted to play chase with him (he's so fast and likes to body slam). Now he's got half the Herding Group on his heels. Also, look at the size of his new yard!

7933458122_b086d9405c.jpg

7933452994_b02e74c53a.jpg

7933446028_7d5b630cc9.jpg

7933443944_d8d7ded0d3.jpg

Nikon is not missing Pan either. He's reclaimed all the toys and the prime spot in front of the largest working AC vent.
7931124298_69605dbb4a_z.jpg

Holy crap that's not a yard, that's like an acreage!! Our Collies would have died of happiness there.

I think it actually is an acre. I can only do one cartwheel between my garage and the other fence :( It always was too small for Pan's antics. He gouged paths and skid marks sprinting around and skidding tight circles.

It looks like he's having fun in his new home. I completely understand the decision. I get very attached to my animals, but also understand that sometimes it's better for everyone to let the pet go (something a lot of people seem not to get, and those people will guilt trip anyone who rehomes a pet).

I've had a bit of a trip with Viking and I'm not sure what his future holds. I am committed to him and helpin him be the best he can be but I am not sure how much he has. He may end up just being the house dog and in the future I can get a "real" athletic dog. He is pretty good when it comes to obedience an he picks up on stuff fast but if there are any distractions he falls apart completely. Working with him has taken a lot of patience and time and he's best if I do stuff every day rather than just once a week. It's something I need to practice more of and I haven't been able to commit to that lately outside of short rounds of obedience for dinner. I'm waiting to see how he matures and "settles" into his personality before I make my decision.

I know working with him is good for him because when I do it he is at the top of his game. When I don't he becomes a floppy slouch puppy. But with all the physical therapy and stuff I will be putting him through in order to get his body in some sort of condition to function properly and treating his low hocks he just may not be up for sport even though he loves it. I love doing the sport too and I've grown to really become addicted to schutzhund. The trouble is figuring out if he is "good enough" for it. He's coming up nicely but the best temperament in the world can't fix an unathletic body. Right now he's going through a phase where if he knows he can get away with not paying attention he will just flat out not listen and part of that has been that since I started my new job Pat has been taking him out for walks and hikes (my job is physical labor and I come home exhausted some days so he's been helping out while I adjust). Pat is not the discipliner, I am. It's teaching Viking bad habits essentially.

I'm happy with his personality. He's fearless. I wouldn't necessarily say bomb proof but some major things have happened that he didn't bat an eye at. He's very attached to me and has an intense desire to impress me and work. He LOVES working and I would not take that away from him. He's at an age (almost 10 months) where he is really distracted by everything and trying to deal with his hormones and it makes working with him frustrating. Not because he's frustrating per say, but because I have to tweak levels of distraction in ways I did not have to before (and this is a highly socialized dog). If I start working him harder during the day then he's a lot easier to manage.

does anyone know anything about nailbed tumours in dogs? vet thinks my lovely dog has one - i took her to the vet last week thinking she'd hurt her "thumb" (as she loves to dig like crazy) and thought it might have been infected as it suddenly got really big and swollen, even though i couldn't see any sign of a foreign body or injury...

she's on antibiotics for 2 weeks just in case but if it's no better the vet says she will need an operation :(

have any of you come across this type of thing before?? is it likely to spread? she's only 3 and a half, but seems to have a pretty dire immune system as she does seem quite susceptible to infections poor girl! worrying myself silly really...

Yes yes yes! I've dealt with a nasty nailbed infection. Two years ago I went away for a week with my parents. When I got back I noticed some little blood spots on our bedspread where Nikon usually sleeps. Not surprised Phil didn't notice since part of the pattern is red. Right away I checked Nikon's feet and found a nail on his rear foot bleeding and he was chewing on it. It ended up taking about two months to heal up, mostly because he kept chewing on it which just made it raw. He was on antibiotics two times (different ones, I think Simplicef and then Keflex, both were 10-14 day rounds each). When the first two weeks of antibiotics and pain meds didn't work we switched to a different antibiotic and then twice a day I would soak the foot in water with Epsom salt, then dry it, apply neo-predef (an antibiotic powder with a numbing agent), wrap the foot, and then put a rubber boot on it to keep it dry. He also had to wear the cone of shame or a wire basket muzzle when I wasn't watching him to keep him from chewing it. We were very concerned he would have to have the entire nail and possibly part of the toe amputated but the vet wanted to try to save it. Nikon was originally put on crate rest but being confined and not getting exercise or training just made him stir crazy and more likely to get bored and chew at his foot so after three weeks and the infection only getting deeper the vet said he could exercise and train with his "boot" on to keep the foot clean and dry.

I would follow the vet's advice with the antibiotics and make SURE the wound stays clean, dry, and that your dog absolutely cannot lick it or chew on it. Ask the vet about soaking in warm water with Epsom salt. I did this each time I changed the wrapping/dressing (usually 2-3 times a day).

The original infection went from the "quick" of the nail into the nail bed and then the toe. The nail split and the quick became raw. I had to keep trimming back the nail which was really painful for Nikon but he let me do it.
5694141439_4d7f822953_z.jpg

Keeping Nikon occupied so he won't chew his foot
5694213409_02966048f3.jpg

Cone of shame, lol. He wore the cone at night and then during the day he wore an expensive fitted basket muzzle so he wasn't able to chew his foot (a proper basket muzzle still allows the dog to pant, bark, and drink). While I was home he didn't have to wear either but I made sure he wasn't chewing his foot.
5705353655_bf041b7f40_z.jpg

Finally starting to dry up
5730377849_dda7cf687f_z.jpg

5731793433_6d8c50032b_z.jpg

Soaking
5732338884_c4f7341526_z.jpg

Antibacterial powder
5732341520_f127f1cfca_z.jpg

The wound was on the foot but the socks would slide off if I didn't wrap them above his hock.
5731795213_00dc68f318_z.jpg

For a long time wore a rubber dog boot for playing outside and training.
5732335910_8dfda54c5c_z.jpg

5741694508_e44df8be60_z.jpg

Hope that helps! It seems like such a minor thing, a split nail but holy crap it was an ordeal! And having a dog that is my primary competition and working dog I wasn't ready to have a chunk of his foot amputated.

thanks so much for the detailed info Liesje - really glad you managed to save your dog's toe! scary stuff! love the photos! they always look so miserable in a cone don't they - my girl had to wear one earlier this year after an op and wasn't happy!

the weird thing is our dog's claw isn't showing any visible signs of injury - it's just the area around the base of the claw which has swollen right up into a really big lump surrounding the whole base of the "thumb" claw... at first i treated her with local antiseptics and also soaked her foot, but after a couple of days i thought it best to take her to the vet and that's when he said he reckoned it was a tumour...

we'll see what happens - really hoping the antibiotics will work anyhow - she's such a lively active dog - she's absolutely fine in herself and bouncing around the place at high speed as usual, not limping or anything, but i guess as it's higher up it wouldn't affect her weight-bearing though... will try to get a photo!

Back
Top Bottom