favorite art? artists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom Roberts, Australian Landscape painter, Heidelberg School, Shearing the Rams 1888-90:
apa00106.jpg

There's so many more.

:love:

The heart and soul of Australia and Australian painting, I'd venture...

Jean Joseph Benjamin Constant, 'Glorification de la Musique'

BenjaminConstant-GlorificationofMus.jpg

I'm fairly certain this is probably one of my favourite paintings :love: I saw this quite a few years ago in Paris, at the Musee d'Orsay ... I thought it was so beautiful :heart:

Gleeson died just recently. :( He was definitely one of my favourite Australian artists. Seeing some of his original work above five years ago had a huge effect on me, in particular "Spain".

Gleeson_spain.jpg

Whoa, this is always as difficult. I'm an art junkie and love several artists. Lately I've been very much into photography. But one of the most impressive exhibitions I've seen was Edward Hopper in London a couple of years ago. Night hawks is probably my fave from him:

hoppernighthawks.jpg

:yes:

We have a big Hopper exhibition in Vienna right now, I love his work, it's so melancholic and very inspiring.

Apart from that, I also find it difficult to name artists, because I am so so crazy about art and go to exhibitions whenever possible. I'm going to the big Kandinsky exhibition in Munich next. I love the Expressionists, especially the "Blaue Reiter" and "Bruecke" movements. I love the Surrealists ... René Magritte, his work is so awsome. And Chagall .... his work touches something deep inside of me, its spirituality is overwhelming, I saw his huge biblical images some years ago and have a lot of books about him and books that were illustrated by him, I've also seen some of the cathedrals he's done the windows for in Germany and Switzerland. And I love Austrian expressionist painter Egon Schiele, he had a tragic life and died very young but he showed the human being as they really are, in all their vulnerability and hurting.

Gleeson died just recently. :( He was definitely one of my favourite Australian artists. Seeing some of his original work above five years ago had a huge effect on me, in particular "Spain".

Gleeson_spain.jpg

No way! Actually, did I know this already? I first saw him in 1993/1994 on a tour of Australian Surrealists. The exhibition was just fucking awesome. I went to it 3 times. The book which accompanied it was so full of brilliantness. I still flick through it occasionally. His Corrosive Littoral was the basis for a large section of my HSC artwork. It gave me so many ideas, and fed this motivation which I still have in many ways. I'm so glad you get it too, Bonnie.

I forgot to add this one before:
François-Hubert Drouais, 1763-4, Madame de Pompadour at her Tambour Frame:
eNG6440.jpg

It was another one which gave me a religious experience when I clapped orbs on it for the first time a couple of years ago. One day, I'll go back and visit it again. I love how the National Gallery has such a comfy seat right in front of her. It's like others have all done the same thing and had to just sit and stare for about half an hour or so. This web image is just so insulting. This painting has detail that would make a mortal cry. It's just stunning. I may have met a match for Van Eyck.

Wow, that's gorgeous! I definitely need to find a larger print of that and check out the detail. I love that, when you're just going through a gallery, thinking oh these are all nice pictures, but I can't get into them, and then one just hits you like that. The last big exhibition I went to was a few months ago now, showing contemporary art by Aboriginal artists. So I went along expecting a lot of dots, and saw this painting by Julie Dowling instead:

144778.jpg

National Indigenous Art Triennial '07:Culture Warriors | Walyer

A payback to white artists glorifying their people who committed atrocities against the indigenous. And Walyer is as good as any historical figure to get the romantic treatment. It's absolutely gorgeous and striking when set with all this traditional style artwork surrounding it.

... but, I have to say that Goya's Third of May is probably the greatest and most influential painting of the past two centuries:

goya-the-third-of-may.jpg

I did a speech about Goya earlier this year, which is a pleasure because there's so much to say about his individual works. It's easy to ramble.

... but, I have to say that Goya's Third of May is probably the greatest and most influential painting of the past two centuries:

goya-the-third-of-may.jpg

I did a speech about Goya earlier this year, which is a pleasure because there's so much to say about his individual works. It's easy to ramble.

Ahhh!!! I did this one in my HSC and compared it to Guernica! Oh, Guernica. How could I forget THAT??? Brilliant works, both of them. I remember the christ-like pose, the white shirt contrasting, the difference in detail of the faces... Some essays, you just don't forget.

Why did I stop studying art? Damn criminals. I hate them all anyway. I want to be surrounded my gorgeous art again.
:(

Ahhh!!! I did this one in my HSC and compared it to Guernica! Oh, Guernica. How could I forget THAT??? Brilliant works, both of them. I remember the christ-like pose, the white shirt contrasting, the difference in detail of the faces... Some essays, you just don't forget.

Why did I stop studying art? Damn criminals. I hate them all anyway. I want to be surrounded my gorgeous art again.
:(

My favourite thing about the painting, if I could pick just one, is that the French soldiers look sturdy, like a single, soulless machine, and the Spanish are all complete individuals, in no formation, just crumbling before them.

It's exactly what art needed.

And as for Guernica, I want a big poster of it above my bed.

Edward Burne-Jones
The Last Sleep of Arthur in Avalon is my favourite (why is it so hard to find a picture of the whole thing?). It's absolutely breathtaking in person.
sleep-of-arthur.jpg

Detail:
Edward_Burne-JonesThe_last_sleep_of.jpg

Hans Holbein the Younger (I love nearly all early modern portraiture, though)
holbein2.jpg

clevesnew.jpg

Jean-Honoré Fragonard's The Swing. I had no idea how small it is, though!
swing.jpg

and these random pictures:
15.jpg

1.jpg

2361832368_c8b8648e55.jpg

tengrim14.jpg

tengrim12.jpg

Edvard Munch - Madonna

461px-Edvard_Munch_-_Madonna_%281894-1895%29.jpg

LOVE French Impressionists - Renoir, Monet, Cézanne, Manet, Degas.

800px-Renoir21.jpg

Sandro Botticelli - Primavera

primavera.jpg

Always liked Peter Paul Rubens and his awesomely OTT baroque goodness, :)

St-George-Dragon-Rubens-L.jpg

El Greco - The Disrobing of Christ. His style is so individual and striking.

354px-The_Spoliation_-_el_greco.jpg

Ivan Kramskoy - Unknown Woman

784px-Kramskoy_Portrait_of_a_Woman.jpg

Ilya Repin - Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV of Turkey

800px-Repin_Cossacks.jpg

Excellent painting choice for Rubens, Saracene. And El Greco, too - love The Opening of the Fifth Seal.

539px-2205grec.jpg

So ahead of time. Have we even gotten to that time yet, in fact?

Me too. Just wonderful. I was fortunate to see a huge exhibit of his works in Toronto maybe 3 years ago. And there are some good pieces at MOMA that I saw this summer.

I went to a great exhibit about Modigliani and some of his contemporaries a few years ago at LACMA. I haven't seen the movie about his life, though I would like to. Such a sad story.

I also completely adore De La Tour's "Magdalene and the Smoking Flame." I have to sit with her for a while every time I go to LACMA, she's just so beautiful. I want to see the other three De La Tour did in this series at some point in my life.

TOG009_L.jpg

Rothko, Chagall and Van Gogh are my favorite painters. Rothko's works are especially hard to appreciate fully without seeing them in person; I never considered him anything more than 'interesting' until I saw the collection of his paintings at the Smithsonian. My favorite sculptors are Segal, Rodin and Giacometti.

^ His stuff is really amazing...I love black & white photography. :drool:

A couple of Canadian favourites:

Ken Danby:

(This one scared the hell out me when I was a kid...I think it was the mask.)

danby-crease.jpg

18149le.JPG

realist_kendanby_full.jpg

Alex Colville...

Colville_04.jpg

I've always been intrigued by this one of his since seeing it on my uncle's wall. As we were discussing it years ago, my cousin, a horse owner/lover, said how disturbing she thinks it is--because the horse appears to be in a losing situation. I view it not quite as literally, and think about the questions it poses. Maybe the horse wins...maybe it's a commentary on the technology of man versus nature.

Anything by Caravaggio and I'm sold, I'm a particular fan of "The Virgin."

As for modern art, I'm quite drawn to all things Tracey Enim.

I adore Van Gogh, Georgia O'Keefe and Salvador Dali.

I have Dali's Persistance in Memory hanging in my room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom