Does anybody here knit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Major :bump:

I've gotten bitten by the knitting bug all over again now (in mid-summer, what's wrong with me? :lol: ), and am currently working on my first project on double pointed needles.

Armwarmers in a self-striping grey-black-white yarn called Zebra:

armwarmerprog1.jpg

armwarmerprog2.jpg

Knitting on double pointed needles is really not any harder than knitting on straight needles. Getting started is harder, but once you get going, it's exactly the same. And you don't have to turn your work :)

:ohmy: Chass!!! Do you have the pattern for those??? That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!! :bow:

Loves knitting from waaaaaaaaaaay back when I used to knit scarves for all my barbie dolls as a little girl :giggle:

Oh, and Babydoll, being left or right handed doesn't make any difference. My Mum is a beautiful knitter, and she's left handed. If a right handed knitter is teaching you, sit directly in front and mirror what they do - that's how mum taught my sisters and me :yes: :up: (and it's how she learnt off her right handed mum!!)

:ohmy: Chass!!! Do you have the pattern for those??? That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!! :bow:

Loves knitting from waaaaaaaaaaay back when I used to knit scarves for all my barbie dolls as a little girl :giggle:

Oh, and Babydoll, being left or right handed doesn't make any difference. My Mum is a beautiful knitter, and she's left handed. If a right handed knitter is teaching you, sit directly in front and mirror what they do - that's how mum taught my sisters and me :yes: :up: (and it's how she learnt off her right handed mum!!)
I'm actually making the pattern up as I go along. But I'm writing down everything I do (so the second armwarmer will match) and if you wait a week or so to when I finish the first one, I can give you the pattern then. They're US size 8 (5mm) double pointed needles, and yarn to go with that size needles.

And Babydoll, knittinghelp.com (which has a health of knitting instruction videos) has this to say about lefthanded knitting:

Backwards Knitting
Alternatively known as Looking-Glass Knitting or Left-Handed Knitting

To see how to do this, simply prop a mirror up to the English or Continental knitting videos, and watch the videos in the mirror! It is mirror reverse of standard Western knitting.

Knitting is awkward at first, no matter which method you use, no matter whether you're a righty or leftie. If you are a leftie, and have heard of this method of knitting and think it will be easier for you, I would encourage you to try Continental knitting first. That method also favors lefties, and you won't find yourself following knitting instructions backwards. I'm told that following knitting instructions in mirror reverse will usually work out fine. But I can't help but being warry of the one pattern that is a-symmetrical or otherwise not mirror-reversible.

If you knit this way, then you will find using a mirror alongside the videos on this site a handy trick.

I'm actually making the pattern up as I go along. But I'm writing down everything I do (so the second armwarmer will match) and if you wait a week or so to when I finish the first one, I can give you the pattern then. They're US size 8 (5mm) double pointed needles, and yarn to go with that size needles.

And Babydoll, knittinghelp.com (which has a health of knitting instruction videos) has this to say about lefthanded knitting:

:hug: :kiss: :bow: :combust: :yippie:

I'm in to crocheting at the moment. I've made a water bottle holder, and a small bag, and now i'm making a really big bag, we'll see how it turns out.
I love crocheting because if you make a mistake its easily fixable. My knitting was always filled with dropped stitches hahaha!

Gluey, I finished the first armwarmer, and though it's not perfect (my own fault, really), I think it looks pretty good:

armwarmer1.jpg

armwarmer2.jpg

I've got the pattern for you, although it's more complicated than it should be, but I really didn't know what I was doing. It's pretty much tailored to my own arm, but hopefully it'll work for you too. It comes to just below my elbow, although if you want your armwarmers shorter, you can stop and skip ahead to the last three steps at any time.

The pattern:

Cast on 28 stitches.
Knit 4 rows.
Increase 1 stitch, next row.
Knit 3 rows.
Increase 4 stitches, next row.
Bind off 9 stitches for thumbhole (follow the knittinghelp.com directions for a one hole button hole (third video from the bottom) to make the thumbhole. Cast 11 back on for the thumbhole (although the video instructions say to just add one stitch to the original bind off number)
Increase 3 stitches each, next 3 rows.
Knit 2 rows (should be 45 stitches by now)
Decrease 3 stitches each, next 3 rows.
Knit 1 row.
Decrease three stitches, next row. (should be 33 stitches)
Knit 2 rows.
Decrease three stitches each, next 2 rows.
Knit 7 rows.
Knit 2 rows.
Increase 1 stitch each, next 6 rows.
Increase 4 stitches, next row (should be 38 stitches)
Knit 4 rows.
Knit 3 rows.
Knit 4 rows.
Increase 1 stitch, next row. (should be 41 stitches)
Knit 3 rows.
Knit 5 rows.
Increase 3 stitches, next row.
Knit 2 rows. (should be 45 stitches)
Increase 1 stitch each, next 4 rows. (should be 49 stitches)
Knit 4 rows.
Increase 2 stitches, next row.
Knit 4 rows.
Decrease 6 stitches, next row.
Knit 1, purl 1 ribbing, next 6 rows.
Bind off.

Back
Top Bottom