Does anybody here knit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sulawesigirl4 said:

Yay, a knitting thread!!!

There is such a plethora of yarn choices these days, that I don't even know where to start. :huh:

Yarn Choices!!!! :drool:

Usually i'mn glad to have more choices than not!

sulawesigirl4 said:

Geeky knitting story....when I was a senior in high school I was cast as Marmie in a production of "Little Women". I actually had my knitting on stage with me and used it to keep my hands busy during several of the scenes. After one performance, a woman came up to me and told me that she could tell that I actually knew what I was doing and wasn't just "pretending" to knit. hehe. And I gave the finished product (slippers) to our director on closing night. :D

Dammit, Sicy, now I'm going to have to go out, buy materials and get started on making something! lol.

:D good story!
what a smart idea!........it would make siense to someone with an eye & experience with the physical repition.

ANsd, well, Just LOOK at THAT .............:tsk:

Sicy's the Instigator......again!

*runs away*

:wink:
:hug:

redkat said:
I like the thinner scarf Sicy :up:

I got the itch today

this started as a scarf and ended up being a purse :slant:

knitpurse.jpg

I've got a crotchet scarf half done too but I don't like it

That is so cute :applaud:

I'm afraid to try to knit with that kind of yarn because I tried Chenille first and I kept breaking the yarn :sad: :reject:

chenille is more delicate than this. i'm untangling knots now and it's not delicate.

$2 today at Michaels too lots of pretty colors and really soft

Yay! A knitting thread! I've been knitting for several months. So far I've done a couple of scarves, several hats -- which I've given away, and I recently completed my first pair of mittens. I was thrilled when all that yarn actually turned into real mittens! I'm planning to take a sweater class soon......
It's wicked cold here. If only I knew how to knit socks....

socks are not at all hard to knit! I just finished a pair this evening, they are green with some white and blue, I used this pattern:Dublin Bay socks
This is the yarn I used, it's the 3rd color from the right in the photo at the top of the page:
Opal sock yarn

There are a lot of great sock knitting books out there, but even better are the plethora of online tutorials. Just do a google search and you will be overwhelmed with sites, blogs and pdfs.

I started knitting last winter. I used a kids knitting book/kit along with the videos at http://www.knittinghelp.com You have to keep trying newer and harder things or else you get stuck making 3 million cell phone socks :drool: Once I got the basics down, I tried making this lace scarf: http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTbranchingout.html I must have ripped out my work 1000 times, but learning how to do those tricky stitches was a huge help in reading other patterns.

I made that same scarf as a Christmas gift for someone using Noro Kuryon's self striping yarn and I love how it came out (you can't see the pattern in this picture, but its there):
branch.JPG

I'm currently working on this cable scarf. I'm enjoying making it, but the scarf itself is a bit thin for my liking.
scarff.JPG

The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, and its fantastic and sooooo soft.

I must admit. This thread made me start knitting. I'd been wanting to learn for years, but was never able to get it right, but then this thread happened, and love2bmama posted a link to a wonderful site called knittinghelp.com, and I learned to knit :love:

First I played around with some leftover yarn I had (which was actually a tiny bit too small for my kneedles, but whatever) to make sure I could actually knit. I had some problems, and kept ripping out and starting over (my biggest problem was somehow dropping a stitch on one side, and adding a stitch on the other, so my knitting started going diagonal :der: ), but eventually I ended up with a small knitted square with only a few mistakes, and I felt accomplished:

samplesquare.jpg

And so then yesterday, I started on a scarf:

knittingyay.jpg

It's sooo soft, and I love it, and it could actually stand to be narrower, but it'll be nice having a big chunky scarf like that :) I did all that last night, and I basically knitted until my right shoulder was getting sore from wrapping the yarn, and then I knew I should probably take a break. It's addicting though :crack:

I have high aspirations though. I can't wait to start using fancy yarn and self-striping yarn and double pointed needles! :hyper:

Babydoll said:
^ Ooohh that's pretty! Do you any pink yarns? :shifty:

:tongue:
:wink:

No pink yarn yet. I have all this blue I got for my scarf, plus red, white, dark blue, and light grey in the smaller gauge, leftover from some other projects years ago. But what I really want is a whole closet full of yarn... no actually, I want the whole yarn section of Hobby Lobby :drool:

...I think I need Knitting-Addicts Anonymous :lol:

:drool:

Knitting is one of those things that can be addictive! Even though I can't, I can't stop trying. I have this little tail of something... that doesn't resemble anything but I still like it. :D

I LOVE to knit. I learned along with alison0313 at knittinghelp.com. I even crossed the line and started a blog which can be found here: My Knitting Blog

Right now I'm working on the My So Called Scarf:

DSCN1413small.jpg

It's much longer now, but you get the idea.

And before that I made these: :drool:

DSCN1386small.jpg

Keeps my hands warm in my freezing cold office.

Buying yarn is a sickness. I love, love, love going to the yarn store. I've spent more on yarn than anything else really. Well, except my car payments, lol.

Wow I am so impressed. I only know how to knit and purl? I guess.. :ohmy:

That's all it is really. There are no other stitches. But there are variations on the knitting and purling. You'll love it once you start doing other stuff with it. :heart:

wenda said:
That's all it is really. There are no other stitches. But there are variations on the knitting and purling. You'll love it once you start doing other stuff with it. :heart:

Yeah but yours looks different than mine :reject:

It's just using different patterns and directions but all you can do is knit and purl. Once you get the hang of it and try other stuff you'll see how different you have make things look with just those two.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Hey! I just realized that Wenda and I are LJ friends, because I've totally seen that scarf before :tongue:

And who might YOU be? LOL!

Now I'm intrigued. :scratch:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sapphire13? :eyebrow:

Last edited:
love2bmama said:
socks are not at all hard to knit! I just finished a pair this evening, they are green with some white and blue, I used this pattern:Dublin Bay socks
This is the yarn I used, it's the 3rd color from the right in the photo at the top of the page:
Opal sock yarn

There are a lot of great sock knitting books out there, but even better are the plethora of online tutorials. Just do a google search and you will be overwhelmed with sites, blogs and pdfs.

Thanks for the links. Those look great! And inspiring! :wink:

Wenda -- those are gorgeous! Have you been to a Stitches convention yet? I went to one in Baltimore and there were rows and rows of booths with LOTS of yarn and even more yarn addicts. I was told that there is something called the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival which is for really intense yarn addicts. Should I look for you there?:wink:

DILETTANTE said:
Wenda -- those are gorgeous! Have you been to a Stitches convention yet? I went to one in Baltimore and there were rows and rows of booths with LOTS of yarn and even more yarn addicts. I was told that there is something called the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival which is for really intense yarn addicts. Should I look for you there?:wink:

Thanks very much! I have never been and honestly I've never even heard of it. But now I wanna go!! :drool:

Don't know how far I'd travel for yarn though. Sounds dreamy though...sigh.

Last edited:
If I can unearth my brochure from the convention, I'll post the website for you, but as I recall there are different Stitches conventions in different areas of the country, and even a Summer Camp. So you may not have to travel quite as far as you think!

Back
Top Bottom